Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, they’re sending my watch in for repair. The guy said a few people have had the same issues with the 5 and it takes 2-3 times of shipping it for repair before they’ll do anything beyond just ship it back if it passes their diagnostics :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh gently caress off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next time you're at the Apple store and get seem to get a sympathetic support person ask if you can return it straight up. It's bullshit to get worked over like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If I didn’t get it at Best Buy, I totally would. :sigh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh gently caress off.

Check your PMs.

edit: Sorry about that.

Battery issues loving suck. Some of my work involves warranty service for Macs and it's a pain. A few times I've had laptops come in that I absolutely know for a fact have a battery issue. I can run every single diagnostic tool they have and they'll all come back fine. Because of that, I can't process a replacement battery. Sometimes that requires a... creative solution or two.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 17, 2019

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

If I didn’t get it at Best Buy, I totally would. :sigh:

Do Apple care about that in the US? They've straight up replaced products for me that weren't even purchased in this country.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone use the Siri watch face? Someone tell me how to make it not poo poo because the only things it shows me are the current temperature and the sunset times. I had to disable the Music source because all it ever did was tell me that my "Chill/Favorites/New Music" playlists were updated and nothing else, and also the Heart Rate source because I don't really care to see my heart rate at all times. I guess occasionally I get cards for upcoming events but I don't use my calendar judiciously like some people. I read it's suppose to learn from my usage but I'm pretty sure that's a lie because I only ever start a Workout in the morning, like between 6am and 7am, but it is constantly popping up the Workout card after lunch time and it has never popped it up during the times I actually workout.

Like right now I'm looking at it and the only card it is showing me for "Today" is the sunset time. The only card it is showing me for "Tomorrow" is the weather. What am I doing wrong here?

Wheezle posted:

Do Apple care about that in the US? They've straight up replaced products for me that weren't even purchased in this country.

Apple will repair and/or replace their products regardless of where you bought it yes, but the post you quoted was talking about returning it for a refund.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 18, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my watch back from Apple today. They didn’t repair or replace it, but they made sure to state that “the diagnostics we ran may have fixed your issue.” Uh huh.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I always assumed that the Siri face is only useful if you have a lot of appointments and reminders. For instance if you have your work calendar synced it could show you your next meeting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I like the way new podcasts and news stories pop up on the Siri face but not enough to actually use it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The thing for me with the Siri face is that I am LESS likely to want to play a song/album etc if I have just played it recently. So the way it recommends stuff just kind of gets annoying.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My favorite thing about the Siri face is when it’ll show me weather changes that are about to occur. I wish more apps worked with it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So I got a new phone today, and it doesn't look like it took to my watch when I did the setup (bad job by me for not checking when I was still at the Apple store). I pretty much have to reset the watch and re-pair it right, which means I lose a day's worth of activity?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

howe_sam posted:

So I got a new phone today, and it doesn't look like it took to my watch when I did the setup (bad job by me for not checking when I was still at the Apple store). I pretty much have to reset the watch and re-pair it right, which means I lose a day's worth of activity?

Your activity should be syncing with the Health app on the phone I thought?

E: poo poo, I r dum. Need to be paired correctly before it does that. Yeah, looks like that will be lost.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
lol my resting heart rate has gone up by 30% while I’ve been sick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every system in your body goes crazy when you're sick, it's some WWI trench warfare type poo poo trying to get the virus deleted.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

body raises temp to kill the spooky invaders which in turn increases your heart rate as your body tries to circulate more blood to your surface areas I believe, to cool you down

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright so anyone with an S5 where the battery sucks poo poo, go into watch app > workout > turn “detect gym equipment” to OFF.

This made my battery last at least 50% longer. I saw this on the macrumors forums and I’m shocked it actually worked for me. There must be some software bug that keeps the watch in a constant “look for gymkit equipment” loop. Instead of having to put my watch on the charger at 7pm, I’m now going to bed (after 18 hours) with 45% without a workout that day, or 30-35% with an hour workout. Way more in line with my series 3.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Alright so anyone with an S5 where the battery sucks poo poo, go into watch app > workout > turn “detect gym equipment” to OFF.

This made my battery last at least 50% longer. I saw this on the macrumors forums and I’m shocked it actually worked for me. There must be some software bug that keeps the watch in a constant “look for gymkit equipment” loop. Instead of having to put my watch on the charger at 7pm, I’m now going to bed (after 18 hours) with 45% without a workout that day, or 30-35% with an hour workout. Way more in line with my series 3.

Checks out. I posted earlier about how great my S5 battery life was (~30 hours) and I turned this feature off on day one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Checked mine now and it was on :iiam:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just did that and noticed the “press to pause” feature that I wish I knew about all along.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

Same.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Same and I don’t think I will ever be near one of those machines at the gym i go to

off if goes

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Same and I don’t think I will ever be near one of those machines at the gym i go to

off if goes

From the description, it sounds like it will still detect the equipment with the option off, you just now have to be in the workout app first. Which is no big deal really.

For anyone turning it off, I’d be interested to see your battery life comparison between on and off after a couple days.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There’s no way to schedule a watch face to come on, or control it through Shortcuts, right?

Like I wish I could have the “activity” face on until I’ve met my active quota for the day, then switch to something else.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

There’s no way to schedule a watch face to come on, or control it through Shortcuts, right?

Like I wish I could have the “activity” face on until I’ve met my active quota for the day, then switch to something else.

You can set up the faces in the order you want via the phone and swipe back and forth on the watch to change them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

No I don't think so. Would be a nice feature though. I have a few watch faces I switch between, my usual modular, a modular with a timer, and activity for working out. If it would automatically switch to the timer face when I start a timer using siri, and switch to the activity one when I'm at the gym, that would be cool.

Proteus Jones posted:

You can set up the faces in the order you want via the phone and swipe back and forth on the watch to change them.

Well yeah but it would be nicer if it did it automatically.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How long has the "detect gym equipment" option been available? Because my S4 has been at the default since I got it and I haven't seen any comical battery drain.

Unless the S5 has a hardware bug where it goes bonkers trying to broadcast for bluetooth signals?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s on my wife’s S3 as well but she has baller battery life, like my old S3 had. It has to be something unique to the S5 hardware if S4s don’t see the issue.

Looks like GymKit was added in watchOS 4.1 in 2017, so it’s been a few years.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Didn't figure that setting would be present on my Series 2, but it was, and I disabled it. Looking forward to an extra couple of weeks of battery life between charges on this warlock.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Is there a way to get the activity app (or any other built in app for that matter) to buzz or alert when I’ve reached a particular step count threshold?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

How long has the "detect gym equipment" option been available? Because my S4 has been at the default since I got it and I haven't seen any comical battery drain.

Unless the S5 has a hardware bug where it goes bonkers trying to broadcast for bluetooth signals?

Been there for a while. It hasn't impacted my battery life on my S4 at all. Is there an actual study with measurements that show its effecting battery life or is this just a placebo?

beuges posted:

Is there a way to get the activity app (or any other built in app for that matter) to buzz or alert when I’ve reached a particular step count threshold?

Maybe you could do it with an app, but the default buzzes are for closing the rings when not in exercise mode and in exercise mode every 1 km/mi.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately there's not a lot of grant money out there to study Apple Watch battery life.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Got a series 4 44mm as a Christmas present to replace my now venerable series 1. And the fucker will not charge. I got it up to 50% before setting it up, but after the software update and pairing with my iPhone 11 it just refuses to charge properly- left it on charge overnight and came back to 4% this morning. I’ve restarted it, turned it off and put it on the charger to boot that way, hard reset it, wiped it and restored from a backup of my old watch (software v4.something) and now it’s been sat on the charger for half an hour without rising above loving 9%.

Have I got a total lemon or is there some advice you guys can give me to make the loving thing work?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Unpair, wipe, but don’t restore from a backup. Set it up as a new watch.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Have you tried a different outlet?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Camrath posted:

Got a series 4 44mm as a Christmas present to replace my now venerable series 1. And the fucker will not charge. I got it up to 50% before setting it up, but after the software update and pairing with my iPhone 11 it just refuses to charge properly- left it on charge overnight and came back to 4% this morning. I’ve restarted it, turned it off and put it on the charger to boot that way, hard reset it, wiped it and restored from a backup of my old watch (software v4.something) and now it’s been sat on the charger for half an hour without rising above loving 9%.

Have I got a total lemon or is there some advice you guys can give me to make the loving thing work?

Have you tried a different charger?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Digital Jesus posted:

Have you tried a different outlet?

Yep

Crayvex posted:

Have you tried a different charger?

Yeah, both the old and the new one. No joy.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Unpair, wipe, but don’t restore from a backup. Set it up as a new watch.

Will try this when I get home. Even after it’s most recent wipe it’s been on its charger for like 2-3 hours and is still reporting a low battery

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Earlier you said you did a hard reset. You held the crown and other button down until the screen went blank and Apple logo appeared, right?

Assuming all that it sounds like you got a defective unit. I would call Apple and setup a repair. You can go to an Apple store, but they'll have to mail it out for repairs anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jose Oquendo posted:

Earlier you said you did a hard reset. You held the crown and other button down until the screen went blank and Apple logo appeared, right?

Assuming all that it sounds like you got a defective unit. I would call Apple and setup a repair. You can go to an Apple store, but they'll have to mail it out for repairs anyway,

Weird thing is that i managed to charge it up to 92% after doing a complete wipe. Finished reinstalling up to 6.1.1 an hour or so back and now it has the same issue back.