Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Wild Horses posted:

they are not fast enough in battles.
Slow clunky things that force you to wait for an enemy, forces you to spend money investing in lots of skryre killing teams.
Going all in on offensive casting, infantry and monsters is my new favorite way to play skaven. I get 4 artillery at the maximum, usually two. If i have to take a big settlement i usually have a guy in reserve with lots of artillery and all the redline buffs.

At some point you just gotta say the horned rat life ain't FOR you and play beastmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Jezzails and death globes and Rat ogres are my auxiliary troops. Victory will come through great loss of skaven lives, as the great horned rat intended.
Don’t make me post pics from my Clan Pestilens all-monks-and-priests stacks

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wild Horses posted:

they are not fast enough in battles.
Slow clunky things that force you to wait for an enemy, forces you to spend money investing in lots of skryre killing teams.
Going all in on offensive casting, infantry and monsters is my new favorite way to play skaven. I get 4 artillery at the maximum, usually two. If i have to take a big settlement i usually have a guy in reserve with lots of artillery and all the redline buffs.
Do you not use Plagueclaws, either?

Wild Horses posted:

Jezzails and death globes and Rat ogres are my auxiliary troops. Victory will come through great loss of skaven lives, as the great horned rat intended.
To each their own, as long as you are advancing the will of the Horn-ed Rat.

Wild Horses posted:

Don’t make me post pics from my Clan Pestilens all-monks-and-priests stacks
But what if I want you to?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Warp lightning cannons go on the end of your line during ambush battles and they fire down the whole length of the enemy front killing fifty models with each shot.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Motherfucker posted:

At some point you just gotta say the horned rat life ain't FOR you and play beastmen.

Whenever I get tired or annoyed playing some faction or I need a break from a campaign that I still want to continue, I start a beastmen campaign :allears:

Balls to the walls pure agression and you can stack some pretty decent buffs on your basic units:

Parry that you stupid VH High Elf! :black101:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

Warp lightning cannons go on the end of your line during ambush battles and they fire down the whole length of the enemy front killing fifty models with each shot.
This works on walls that are not just straight lines and it is *amazing*.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you not use Plagueclaws, either?

Plagueclaws are easier to use, but lose their punch come lategame. I’d rather have two catapults than two cannons though.
Large units suck to fight with my strats, but it works if i use my few globadiers correctly. Hellpits are also made for this purpose.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Noir89 posted:

Whenever I get tired or annoyed playing some faction or I need a break from a campaign that I still want to continue, I start a beastmen campaign :allears:

Balls to the walls pure agression and you can stack some pretty decent buffs on your basic units:

Parry that you stupid VH High Elf! :black101:

I kinda love and hate beastmen. They're so cursed and weak to start out and than towards the end its just rip and tearing the heart-lands of the biggest factions while their stacks impotently struggle to catch and pin you down, getting lightning struck and torn apart one by one.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah the start is hard, but that makes it even more rewarding when you get multiple stacks of lowcost loving 100+ MA blenderunits and you just watch an AI line instantly melt when the charge hits them from several directions owing to their increadible speed.

Edit: Not to hijack the skaven discussion, I am really struggling with Lord Skrolks ME start now, I know about th plagueclaw strat but that wasn't enough in the last campaign with Itza, Tehen-something and the loremasters all attacking at the same time. Then again I probably just suck at useing the skaven in battle as well :v:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 18, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Attack aggressively, and boost the first settlement you capture to level 3 and get a workshop to get some plagueclaws, then use those plagueclaws to relentlessly Bully the lizardmen minors.
Sack, steal and get food so you can keep getting high tier settlements and build walls everywhere.
You can kill even itza with some clever use of magic and arty, as long as gor’rok isnt home.
Number two priority is getting a full army of plague monks, since skrolk can cut their upkeep to 65% less without going into the blue line (its a trap, go for spells instead, his vermintide is cheap*, spam that spell every battle)

edit: okay vvvvv

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 18, 2019

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Wild Horses posted:

informative post with a slur in it

hey can you loving not

e: thanks

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 19, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Why do I have to download a 61mb patch to play Warhammer 2? WTF. I just played it yesterday and did not hear about any patch or anything.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Why do I have to download a 61mb patch to play Warhammer 2? WTF.

61mb? You are like tiny baby.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is a hotfix out apparently

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A 61mb Warhammer patch will still bring steam's downloads tab to its knees.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah this 61 meg patch has been allocating for an hour lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kidkissinger posted:

61mb? You are like tiny baby.

Its this:

Arcsquad12 posted:

A 61mb Warhammer patch will still bring steam's downloads tab to its knees.

I started the "download" fifteen minutes ago but its been pre-allocating the whole time and has done zero actual downloading or disk usage yet.

edit: I have everything but the case of my new computer, despite ordering the case first, and my god it cant come fast enough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have a hilariously bad knowledge of how computers and internets work, but I do know that every Hams dlc or patch take loving hours to finish.

My computer is decent, my internet is decent, everything runs good and everything else dls or streams fine.

But TWW... oh hell no. I don't expect a new computer to help at all.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 18, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Scourgerunners might be the first non-TK chariots I actually enjoy using in campaign. They do absolutely insane anti-large missile damage and can very easily annihilate enemy cav for you without having to be babysat like darkshards need to be against it - then they can roll in and run over the enemy line once that's over with.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

So the massive overhaul to Black Arks makes them terrifying doom fortresses - since they aren't forced into autoresolve in ocean encounters and they can hit coastal settlements, actually maintaining an army on your ark doesn't suck poo poo anymore. The massive upkeep reduction for Ark stacks means it's really easy to build incredibly stupid doomstacks on your arks even early on.

This has amusing results with Lokhir, who can field a black ark for every single port he takes - finally, he can be the terror of the sea he's supposed to be.
Okay but does the AI know how to use them yet or are they still a trap for them?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Crotch posted:

Okay but does the AI know how to use them yet or are they still a trap for them?

No idea, since I'm playing a Lokhir campaign and there's no other dark elves within a zillion miles besides Malus, who I killed very early because I didn't give a poo poo about confederating him and I wanted his ports.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Noir89 posted:

Yeah the start is hard, but that makes it even more rewarding when you get multiple stacks of lowcost loving 100+ MA blenderunits and you just watch an AI line instantly melt when the charge hits them from several directions owing to their increadible speed.

Edit: Not to hijack the skaven discussion, I am really struggling with Lord Skrolks ME start now, I know about th plagueclaw strat but that wasn't enough in the last campaign with Itza, Tehen-something and the loremasters all attacking at the same time. Then again I probably just suck at useing the skaven in battle as well :v:

Skaven don't do well in a drag out fight, even your best boys are no match one to one with basic lizardman infantry. Skrolk's spells are insanely good and you should be throwing pestilent breath up and down enemy lines as much as possible as well as tying up stacks with your summons so you can chop them up with spells and artillery. Also Skrolk's start is great for skaven because you start next to some farms and south east there are more, meaning you can get lodes of food generation quickly. Basically you always want the enemy to be attacking something disposable like summons and skavenslaves and getting killed for 'free' such as with spells or arty fire, maximize free kills.

Also my Skrolk really opened up once I started using slave stacks, full stacks of slaves make great suppliments to tear up enemy lines and fling stones all over the loving place and generally create chaos so your plague monks can surround and pound lone squads

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

So any highlights from the stealth magic tree? I'm not really sure what it's good for.

It's got a nice Lore attribute and the first vortex locks down a fairly large area. It stops ranged units from firing and ground units from advancing and let's trapped allies retreat. Skitterleap is nice in sieges and non-Snikch armies for helping skirmishers who get out of position, or for getting close if you're outmatched in an artillery duel. The debuff goes nicely with all of the armor-halving you're doing with triads and death runners, and +60 armor and 22% missile resist in an AoE isn't bad either. Not my favorite lore ever but it's pretty solid for support.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah this 61 meg patch has been allocating for an hour lol
Its been an hour for me now too lmao. I'm almost out of time to be able to actually play now too :sigh:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like hordes alot so I'm trying beastmen again. Whats the end game goal for somebody like ole khazrak? I know I can field a 19 stack of bestigors for like 25 cents upkeep, which is great, but I'm not familiar enough with the faction to know what a top tier army is.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I like hordes alot so I'm trying beastmen again. Whats the end game goal for somebody like ole khazrak? I know I can field a 19 stack of bestigors for like 25 cents upkeep, which is great, but I'm not familiar enough with the faction to know what a top tier army is.

Minotaurs absolutely own bones, their charges are ludicrous and they have insane sustain on top of coming in three flavours: Extra killy to infantry, killy with shields or great weapon, also they serve as great door-kickers and first through the breach types and work great alongside bestigors. Ungors are kinda lovely but don't discount the raiders, their stalky ways make them pretty good at feathering lines from the back or sneaking over walls to rain arrows on defenders (Although replace them with centigor axe throwers asap) My best beastmen armies are mostly minotaurs, a few bestigors with four stacks of centigor axe throwers and a wild lore bray shaman to summon a cygor

Also a gorebull with the armor upgrade. Gorebulls just gently caress poo poo up even just on their own but if you give them the AOE armor buff they can make your minotaurs ungodly strong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shielded minotaurs for your frontline with two great weapon 'taurs on your flanks to hack up Bretonnia horsies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Its been an hour for me now too lmao. I'm almost out of time to be able to actually play now too :sigh:
I am now up to three hours of patching, and the 61mb has changed to 3.9gb. The 3.9gb is done downloading but its been installing for ages. What the gently caress CA?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Mine just took maybe 15 minutes, which is absurd for the size, but... something is terribly wrong on your end!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Here are the hot fix changes.

quote:

Today we applied a hotfix to Total War: WARHAMMER II, which addresses the following issues:

When playing as Malus Darkblade, players could encounter a situation where they were unable to progress as a shipment army would attack a player’s walled settlement and the attacking army did not have any units capable of sieging. The unit composition has now been changed so the armies that now spawn will contain at least one unit capable of siege attacking. This only applies to armies that have yet to be spawned, so any save games with the issue already present will not be affected by this update

Fixed a crash that occurred when loading into Snikch’s quest battles from the main menu if The Prophet & The Warlock DLC was not owned

Fixed an issue with some players’ multiplayer scores not resetting correctly. Following this fix, we are resetting the multiplayer leaderboards again

Casket of Souls now have 7 projectiles instead of 9

Eshin Triads now have 64 leadership

Iksha’s Triads now have 74 leadership

Various localisation issues fixed

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Nerfing caskets??? For what goddamn reason?

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
This loving patch has brought my computer to its knees. 61mg fix my rear end. did they use magic to offload the turn time reductions to their patcher?

not how I wanted to spend free time.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

It’s weird. Didn’t they just buff them with accuracy?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

litany of gulps posted:

Mine just took maybe 15 minutes, which is absurd for the size, but... something is terribly wrong on your end!

There’s chaos sorcery in the way steam and ca interact to update this game, no one’s computer is at fault

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

After waiting 4 hours to play I have an offensive siege that is going swimmingly, until I find out the hard way that walls collapsing (via Warp Grinders) can instagib your nearby lord for no good reason? Ikit went from full health to dead in an instant.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wild Horses posted:

Cowardice is the reason.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Fun little siege trick I discovered with Clan Eshin - Use a sorcerer to damage their walls, and then pop the rite that gives your whole army stalk + snipe. The enemy won't know how to deploy because it can't see any of your poo poo, and will just blob up in a big square near one of the gates. You can then just waltz on in through the breaches and move your army straight to the control point.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Turin took a casket in a video a little while ago, and it basically wiped out two units of Cold One knights in a few shots. It looks like the latest buffs might have overtuned them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Jo Joestar posted:

Turin took a casket in a video a little while ago, and it basically wiped out two units of Cold One knights in a few shots. It looks like the latest buffs might have overtuned them.

patchnotes posted:

Casket of Souls: + 1m explosion radius, -1 sec reload time, projectiles are now 2.5 times as accurate

Yeah, so much for incremental improvements. The accuracy is the big ones, but the other two are both nice. You can expect a far fewer of the shots to whiff outright. In the Turin video, Turin blobs up his cold one knights to surround a lone tomb prince, but once they are all close together and still the casket just deletes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have a hilariously bad knowledge of how computers and internets work, but I do know that every Hams dlc or patch take loving hours to finish.

My computer is decent, my internet is decent, everything runs good and everything else dls or streams fine.

But TWW... oh hell no. I don't expect a new computer to help at all.
It's possible the patch applies some crazy diff against a big archive, or has to open it up and re-compress it with the new files. If you're on mechanical storage it's probably thrashing the disk.