Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Libertarianism is a short jump away from straight up facism. Don't let them fool you. Ron Paul and his idiot son want to put undesirables in camps. Bill Watts bought into that stuff super heavily like a lot of scared white dudes. He's a fuckin coward. gently caress him.

I voted Michael Hayes because I loathe that man's continued existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

davidbix posted:

...it was?

I have always heard in conversations where Moolah's crimes were brought up that she routinely forced trainees into sex with her. If you've not heard of it then I'm gonna assume it was something made up. I've no idea which former student made the claim so I'd have to dig through a lot of crap to try and find it again.

e: It was Sweet Georgia Brown and she claimed that all of her children were a result of Moolah's husband raping her while she was a trainee. One of her sons refutes this.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 18, 2019

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Drunk racist gently caress Michael Hayes still got a job as far as i know

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I kinda wish Michael Hayes and Bill Watts would die in a fire holding hands. I think that'd be a fitting end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1207366326433591301

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You really need to read the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1207372372573138944

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

coconono posted:

Libertarianism is a short jump away from straight up facism. Don't let them fool you. Ron Paul and his idiot son want to put undesirables in camps. Bill Watts bought into that stuff super heavily like a lot of scared white dudes. He's a fuckin coward. gently caress him.
Well yeah, I know that and you know that, but in the now almost 27 years since the Watts stuff blew up (and over 28 since the original interview text came out in the 1991 Torch Summer Annual), I don't think I ever saw anyone bring up "because they intermarried and got educated" until the social media era. Even among people who weren't defending him, like the Torch folks, you never really saw any Watts discussions where anyone was like "...but he also said that that the best thing that ever happened to the black race was being able to breed with superior white blood." And even more recently, it's still rare. That's a big reason why I made a point of subtitling and posting the audio.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

Well yeah, I know that and you know that, but in the now almost 27 years since the Watts stuff blew up (and over 28 since the original interview text came out in the 1991 Torch Summer Annual), I don't think I ever saw anyone bring up "because they intermarried and got educated" until the social media era. Even among people who weren't defending him, like the Torch folks, you never really saw any Watts discussions where anyone was like "...but he also said that that the best thing that ever happened to the black race was being able to breed with superior white blood." And even more recently, it's still rare. That's a big reason why I made a point of subtitling and posting the audio.

oh I agree. I remember only hearing snippets of the torch audio and thinking "well that's not too terrible" only to hear the actual audio where he does a whole 10 minutes on the moral failures of homosexuals and african americans.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've always wondered what was going through wade's head while watts was talking

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

probably the serenity prayer.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

God I can't believe I forgot about Watt's letter about Hank Aaron

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Not to ignore that he's a tremendous racist, but the idiocy of "people won't go if they know it's predetermined. Now let me tell you about the movie I watched..." makes my brain bleed

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait... Bill Watts wrote a letter to Hank Aaron to describe his racist world view in like 10 pages? How did I manage to never know this?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Jake Roberts was really trying hard to say something positive about Watts in that video posted in the Twitter thread, deflecting it by talking about modern day wrestling for a bit. Is it true that when Jake went to WCW, Watts tore up his (potentially quite lucrative) contract right in front of him, since Jake's negotiations had been with Kip Frey rather than Watts, and the two of them had beef over something?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

no idea but Watts being lovely to Jake would not surprise me.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

Wait... Bill Watts wrote a letter to Hank Aaron to describe his racist world view in like 10 pages? How did I manage to never know this?
Because wrestling history on the internet is very Observer-centric for a number of obvious reasons, and the Observer coverage was literally just "Bill Watts did a two-part interview in the Wrestling Flyer newsletter which included reprinting a letter Watts sent Hank Aaron." The Torch had a more substantive blurb that included a short quote or two, but it's in the era where the Torch archives are all scanned PDFs without OCR. The text of the interview (well, most of it) and letter ARE actually on the open internet, in the subreddit "The Dirtsheets," which never really went anywhere but had some good stuff from Wrestling Flyer posted on it during the brief period it had active members. The letter, for example, is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDirtsheets/comments/4hp7ou/april_24th_1993_john_clarks_wrestling_flyer/

EDIT: I just checked, and it's over 1,600 words. LOL.

But yeah, it's because so much of what we consume is Observer-centric, and I hope nobody takes that as a shot at Dave, because it's not. It's just that there's a LOT more that we need to find, archive, and pore over, on top of better absorbing what was in the Torch, which is easily accessible. It's a big reason I'm so happy that Kris, myself, and some friends compiled a complete collection of the original run of Matwatch, always love when we have Torch-heavy weeks on Between The Sheets, etc. The Observer is the brand name and the Observer and Torch were always the best for breaking news, but there are a LOT of odds and ends in other newsletters, especially when it comes to interviews. John Clark especially did some great interviews in Wrestling Flyer, like Kerry Von Erich's only insider interview (right after he completed rehab, too), Paul MacArthur and Dave Skolnik did in Wrestling Perspective (like the Tom Cole interview), Alex Marvez had some good stuff in Three Count (and some good reporting, too), John Arezzi had some really interesting stuff in Pro Wrestling Spotlight...and that's just among the more well-known non-Torch/Observer sheets. (I almost said shorter-lived, but Perspective ran at least a decade.)

The sheet boom of the early '90s resulted in a LOT of content, far from all of it good, but we've barely scratched the surface on it in the internet era. Same goes for the older bulletins, even if Jason Campbell did a great job scanning all of the stuff he had. Hopefully, between Jason, Roy Lucier, Dave Prazak, Phil Wills, and eventually others, we'll get access to more and more stuff.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 18, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

no idea but Watts being lovely to Jake would not surprise me.

They had heat from Mid South, fuzzy on why, wanna say it has to do with Jake not making Muhammad Ali look good for an angle?

Watts defenders also like to trot out JYD's push as proof he wasn't racist.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

davidbix posted:

I tweeted this and MRT retweeted it on the NY64 account, but it really should be stated here, too:

It's amazing that so many people in and around wrestling wanted so badly to make excuses for Bill Watts that they pretended he only made the "actually, it's about libertarianism/the free market!" comments about discimination and didn't also say black people needed to mix with white blood to excel in life. I mean, FFS: "What is the best thing that has ever happened to the black race? That they were brought to this country. No matter how they got here. You know why? Because they intermarried and got educated. They’re the ones running the black race."

That's straight-up white supremacist poo poo.

...it was?

In the letter to Aaron, Watts says 'integrated' rather than 'intermarried.' this is a minor distinction and still represents a white supremacists viewpoint. However, I would be extremely surprised to learn that Watts approves of interracial marriage.

Edit: were you referring to the interview rather than the letter? I didn't hear it.

I know I've read about lots of dumb racist poo poo Hayes has said over the years. When I hear his name that's one of the first characterizations I associate with him. But Watts seems like the more spiteful and dogmatic racist. His letter denying his racist attitudes was more indicative of his racist attitudes than anything else!

Son of Man fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 19, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ok is there any kind of case for Hayes here over Watts?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ok is there any kind of case for Hayes here over Watts?

there really isn't.

Watts is a virulent shithead so toxic even Vince McMahon doesn't keep him on the payroll. He's a nazi that straightened out his swatztika into a crucifix.

Hayes is a middle manager in a death cult. He's the exact kind of handsy racist poo poo head that vince likes and enables.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm still voting Watts but the only possible case for Hayes that I could see is that their era of backstage influence (Watts from roughly 1980-1995, Hayes from 2000-present) making Hayes's position even worse given the (admittedly insufficient and in many ways marginal) progress society at large has made between those two eras.

Also the fact that Watts was his own boss in an independent company being a dumb racist for the vast majority of that time and suffered at least something resembling real consequences for his racism, whereas Michael Hayes is a lackey in a billion dollar publicly traded company who I guess got briefly suspended once over a decade ago? Though like so much of this list, that really rolls back to "Vote for Vince".

Also if we're factoring personal fashion into this, Michael Hayes would have been a 1 seed.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Watts vs. Hayes is a tough choice. Jesus ever-loving christ. Watts is a piece of poo poo. Hayes is racist. Goddammit.

Watts. He helped book WCW in oblivion because he didn't like African American wrestlers. Seriously, GI Bro?! gently caress. You. And was a complete rear end in a top hat on top of that. At least Hayes did some sorta things in WCCW. I suppose.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Burning Beard posted:

Watts vs. Hayes is a tough choice. Jesus ever-loving christ. Watts is a piece of poo poo. Hayes is racist. Goddammit.

Watts. He helped book WCW in oblivion because he didn't like African American wrestlers. Seriously, GI Bro?! gently caress. You. And was a complete rear end in a top hat on top of that. At least Hayes did some sorta things in WCCW. I suppose.

I thought Gi Bro was in Global?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Burning Beard posted:

Unless I'm forgetting something, Booker was only GI Bro super early in his career (circa 1991 in Texas) and then in late 1999 under the Bischoff/Russo tandem regime.

I don't know the timeline of WCW 1993 by heart, but Watts may have been booking when Harlem Heat debuted, and their early gimmick was literally shackled black men led to the ring by their Plantation Owner Looking manager Colonel Parker.

If that was under Watts it's about a million times worse than GI Bro.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Unless I'm forgetting something, Booker was only GI Bro super early in his career (circa 1991 in Texas) and then in late 1999 under the Bischoff/Russo tandem regime.

I don't know the timeline of WCW 1993 by heart, but Watts may have been booking when Harlem Heat debuted, and their early gimmick was literally shackled black men led to the ring by their Plantation Owner Looking manager Colonel Parker.

The plantation thing was a suggestion by Sid that I don't think got done

(It is loving horrifying thpugh)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The plantation thing was a suggestion by Sid that I don't think got done

(It is loving horrifying thpugh)
The explicit prisoner/slave thing doesn't seem to have made it to TV (or at least it's not online), but Colonel Robert Parker as a Boss Hogg motherfucker manager of KOLE and KANE definitely made it to TV and lasted for a couple of years, if I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irxI14vyOE

Here he is describing the whole thing as Sid's pitch. He suggests Dusty was booking, not Watts at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDD8NC7yPhc

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 19, 2019

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking it up, yes you are right. Sorry. Still a lovely gimmick that killed Booker.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I thought the GI Bro was just a silly thing that they did with MIA and all the stupid military 'puns' in WCW, (General Rection, Major Gunns etc.)

It was pretty stupid and forgettable, and if i remember right, didn't last that long.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1207483491950223366

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I dislike Shawn but Snuka here

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Snuka. At least Benoit had the sense to off himself.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

flashy_mcflash posted:

Snuka. At least Benoit had the sense to off himself.

He killed himself so he wouldn't have to go to prison

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Son of Man posted:

In the letter to Aaron, Watts says 'integrated' rather than 'intermarried.' this is a minor distinction and still represents a white supremacists viewpoint. However, I would be extremely surprised to learn that Watts approves of interracial marriage.

Edit: were you referring to the interview rather than the letter? I didn't hear it.
I was referring to the interview (at 1:10, excuse the typo I didn't catch until now):

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1200255286994452480

He clearly says "intermarried," and Wade's transcript reflected that in 1991. But yes, almost 2 years later, in trying to smooth it over with Hank Aaron, he said "integrated." Maybe "intermarried" was a slip in 1991, but if it was, it's pretty clearly a freudian one. And as noted by Wade in 1993 after Clark published the letter, Watts, in spite of claiming other wise, never requested any kind of correction to the 1991 interview or the 1993 coverage of his departure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I thought the GI Bro was just a silly thing that they did with MIA and all the stupid military 'puns' in WCW, (General Rection, Major Gunns etc.)

It was pretty stupid and forgettable, and if i remember right, didn't last that long.

The Russo/MIA thing was a callback to a lovely gimmick he had early in his career. He was supposed to be "taking it back" or some nonsense.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

The explicit prisoner/slave thing doesn't seem to have made it to TV (or at least it's not online), but Colonel Robert Parker as a Boss Hogg motherfucker manager of KOLE and KANE definitely made it to TV and lasted for a couple of years, if I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irxI14vyOE

Here he is describing the whole thing as Sid's pitch. He suggests Dusty was booking, not Watts at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDD8NC7yPhc
Parker wasn't with them after Fall Brawl. He was just will them via Sid. His only subsequent association with them was when he was with Sherri.

"The Posse" with Booker and Stevie as a chain gang managed by Parker never made TV, and yes, the consensus these days seems like it was Sid's idea. (Watts was absolutely gone by then.) But...it MAY have made TV overseas. It's not online anywhere anymore, but there used to be a match on YouTube from German TV where they were Harlem Heat...but with prison uniform tops along with their wrestling tights. Parker wasn't at ringside and they clearly weren't The Posse, but this didn't air in the U.S. So if that could air internationally...then maybe The Posse did, as well.

Yeah.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Weird, my WCW viewing was spotty in the pre-NWO 1990s, I saw some of the Stud Stable era stuff and then the weird Sherri/Parker stuff in 1996, I assumed he was a'managin' them in the intervening years.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
A part of me feels that Shawn deserves "better" than being squashed by Snuka...

EDIT: In another match-up I mean, he absolutely should be squashed by Snuka.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

maybe but it's hard to find good matchups for middle of the road assholes at this stage. he would probably even lose to the guy losing to bill watts

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shawn's an rear end in a top hat and probably some kind or another of a sex pest but the more this goes on it becomes a tournament of racists, abusers, predators, and killers. In a lot of ways HBK is just "lucky" that he was one of the pure "assholes" who made it through the first round.

I mean, unless I'm forgetting something HBK did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the things I remember being reported was Shawn diverting Sunny when she was bringing Candido coke, doing the coke with her and then banging her (or banging first then snorting all the coke, either way), then laughing in Candido's face about it and telling him,"Thanks for the bump!"

If I remember right, that was the thing that made Candido declare to a producer that he was quitting, and the producer said,"You have to submit that in writing" so he grabbed a piece of paper and wrote,"I QUIT!" on it.