Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

this isn't an idle threat.

ME-2 is 650k people.

Like how much would it realistically cost to buy that seat?

King could probably just run and win it himself.

Hell, he should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Dems are traitors to real America.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Lord Hydronium posted:

What the gently caress is happening here

We've known forever that he uses lovely bronzer. His aides confirmed it within the last 30 days. He just applied it badly today.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Disparate group of Republican senators worry White House and GOP leaders ahead of impeachment trial
cnn.com/December 17, 2019
"Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's high-profile push for witnesses to testify in the Senate's expected impeachment trial of President Donald Trump shifted attention and political pressure on Monday to a handful of Republican senators who have worked diligently to avoid the spotlight.

The disparate group's views on the trial are a concern to the White House and GOP leaders, who are worried some could break and vote with Democrats on key trial-related issues, sources tell CNN.

If four of them were to buck calls from GOP leaders for a short, witness-free trial, it could upend the process and create the kind of wild uncertainty Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he has been carefully "coordinating" to avoid in ongoing talks with top White House officials."

No One in the Senate Is Going to Follow the Rules on Impeachment. Try This Instead.
slate.com/Dec 18, 2019
"Mitch McConnell is a nihilist who is impossible to hold to account. But John Roberts may yet be swayed."
'Lawyerly Democrats and principled Republicans have already expressed their outrage at McConnell’s decision to marry the Senate impeachment trial to the president’s tactical defense effort. A close reading of the special oath senators must take, as provided in the Constitution itself, underscores the right to outrage—Rule XXV of the Senate rules in impeachment trials states “I solemnly swear (or affirm) that in all things appertaining to the trial of ____, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help me God.” Yes, there it is, right there, in the rules. And therein lies the problem we seem to be having. Three years after Merrick Garland was denied a hearing and vote, we continue to believe that the norms, or even the rules mean anything. Yes, Senate “rules” suggest that senators should behave as unbiased jurors. But rules are not enforceable if nobody cares to enforce them, which is why McConnell has just announced that the Bill Clinton impeachment rules will not govern the Trump impeachment trial.'

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

trump literally goes down in history as one of the few stupid and criminal enough presidents to get impeached and the usual idiots are 'ehehe nothing matters, see he only got historically impeached and publicly, nationally humiliated and revealed as a crook'

Because none of those things matter.

What about the last 3 years leads you to believe that things like "historic record" or "national humiliation" matter at all towards actually preventing all the terrible poo poo that has happened.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gozinbulx posted:

What about the last 3 years leads you to believe that things like "historic record" or "national humiliation" matter at all towards actually preventing all the terrible poo poo that has happened.

because we took the house in a record slide and we pushed it further this year. trumps still disliked at best nationally.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

oxsnard posted:

Stephen King is a legendary rear end in a top hat though. He names dumb/bad characters in his book after normal people he squabbles with. Which is admittedly sort of hilarious in addition to being petty
Stephen King wrote Pet Semetary in a house next/nearby the one my parents had built in Orrington.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The Crimson King turned out to be an even lamer villain than Donald Trump.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1207508280207011841

for some reason twitter is terrible about displaying single images correctly sooooooo there was text at the bottom

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 19, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm not convinced the hold back the referral until the senate is in the vice is a great plan since the easiest way to counter it is to just do nothing, something that senate republicans already wanted to do. But I don't think it hurts anything either to give it a few weeks and see if it shakes some extra crazy loose.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not convinced the hold back the referral until the senate is in the vice is a great plan since the easiest way to counter it is to just do nothing, something that senate republicans already wanted to do. But I don't think it hurts anything either to give it a few weeks and see if it shakes some extra crazy loose.

Yeah, I think that making it clear that the Senate is going to have a transparently hosed up fake trial is worth emphasizing, so afterwards you can say told you so, but definitely they need to be on record as giving cover to Trump's crimes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

The pressure will come from Trump, who wants the exoneration. Leaving the impeachment dangling over his head without the Senate trial will eat him alive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The will-she-won't-she about it getting it sent to the Senate is the kind of highschool drama that the media loving loves, and might actually get the truth in the middle poo poo to work for us for once

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

The Glumslinger posted:

The will-she-won't-she about it getting it sent to the Senate is the kind of highschool drama that the media loving loves, and might actually get the truth in the middle poo poo to work for us for once

It’s the last leverage the Dems will have in this ordeal so they have to wield it.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Still very gratified that “impeached” will forever be in the opening paragraph describing Trump’s presidency in history books.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Whew! The new guy at my job decided to take the impeachment as an opportunity to tell me how treasonous Adam Schiff is and how much more corrupt Obama was over Trump.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

COOL CORN posted:

Wait did Trump just publicly say that dead congressman John Dingell is in hell???
And the audience laaaaaaaaaaughed. not that they loving know who he was, they just like being mean and spiteful.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Gozinbulx posted:

Quite. Regressives have realized that nothing matters once you're loving dead and only wealth & power in the present is of any benefit to them. Burn everything else to the ground if they can sift a nickle and some slaves from the ashes, who gives a poo poo about a line in a history book, really?

It would benefit us all greatly if everyone else to woke the gently caress up and realized the threat we're facing.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because we took the house in a record slide and we pushed it further this year. trumps still disliked at best nationally.

drat look at all those ICE concentration camps that were shutdown after the dems swept the house. drat thank god they were able to do anything at all to stem any of this poo poo and block appointments or not give Trump all the money he wants for the military.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gozinbulx posted:

drat look at all those ICE concentration camps that were shutdown after the dems swept the house. drat thank god they were able to do anything at all to stem any of this poo poo and block appointments or not give Trump all the money he wants for the military.

you're in the wrong thread, i suggest posting about impeachment in this one

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

On further drug and alcohol use and reflection km glad trump will be acquired because president pence is loving way more terrifying

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thank you, oh genius president of ours, for shouting out loud to the world that we're in a strategically disadvantageous position because we don't currently have enough ammo you loving worthless idiot piece of trash.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I really think the main part of holding that "send to the senate" door open is waiting for the tax returns to come out.

All Trump is doing is stalling on that, and hopefully Nancy has realized she can just stall back.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

There is some miniscule amount of justice in this hellworld. Tonight is a happy night, even though 2020 is going to be an unhappy year, regardless of what happens.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gozinbulx posted:

I know. How dare they try do anything at all.

Seriously take your nothing matters bullshit and gently caress off with it. Something good happened today and you just feel like making GBS threads on people's parade

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don’t know if you all can appreciate it on twitter videos but in the HD videos they’re showing on CNN his bronzer is insanely orange yes, but Jesus his face is soaked in sweat. Like he stepped out of a shower or something. The guy is not doing well.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One political move the Senate Democrats can try is to pass the buck to Roberts. The Republicans can't criticize him too much, and he isn't beholden to Trump voters. Propose a one line resolution saying he can conduct the trial as he sees fit with no further input from the Senate. He cares too much about his legacy to preside over a sham trial with the whole nation watching.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's those newfangled light bulbs!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Gozinbulx posted:

shut up nerd

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

oh gently caress off and take it to another thread. plus they can't block appointments because its not the senate.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think something that is being dangerously underestimated here is how many people don't understand what impeachment is.

I'm seeing people in this thread and USPOL constantly tell other unhappy posters, who thought that impeachment removed him from office, that nobody will be disappointed because everyone already knew that this was a symbolic victory and that the senate wouldn't convict him before this started.

Now the mission has been accomplished and I'm sure a not insignificant amount of people don't understand how the political process works and are going to also not be happy when they too get the "We never expected to win, it's tarnishing his legacy!" speech that either comes tonight or when the Senate doesn't convict him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I think something that is being dangerously underestimated here is how many people don't understand what impeachment is.

I'm seeing people in this thread and USPOL constantly tell other unhappy posters, who thought that impeachment removed him from office, that nobody will be disappointed because everyone already knew that this was a symbolic victory and that the senate wouldn't convict him before this started.

Now the mission has been accomplished and I'm sure a not insignificant amount of people don't understand how the political process works and are going to also not be happy when they too get the "We never expected to win, it's tarnishing his legacy!" speech that either comes tonight or when the Senate doesn't convict him.

its also about hurting the GOP too and hoping trump turns the trial into a big dumb circus and hurts the GOP more.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its also about hurting the GOP too and hoping trump turns the trial into a big dumb circus and hurts the GOP more.

Yeah, it's this. This is what impeachment was (and still is) about. Democrats would like to be able to point at Republican candidates in 2020 and say 'Look at this rear end in a top hat who supported the crime president after he was impeached.'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, it's this. This is what impeachment was (and still is) about. Democrats would like to be able to point at Republican candidates in 2020 and say 'Look at this rear end in a top hat who supported the crime president after he was impeached.'

yeah, that poo poo plus trump doing even worse poo poo plus past years mean probable blue wave.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gozinbulx posted:

"nothing matters", says sensible practical man on Impeachment Day

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, that poo poo plus trump doing even worse poo poo plus past years mean probable blue wave.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

BlackIronHeart posted:

I hope you are right but most people I know that aren't extremely into politics thought today was Trump's last day in office. I'm worried that explaining to the largely dumb majority in this country that you were never going to win and the fight itself was the goal all along isn't going to help poll numbers or enthusiasm.

Even if it's the exact/only course of action they should/could have taken and they are acting with their full authority from a morally unassailable position to do their constitutional duty. The Red Team / Blue Team people see in terms of Win / Lose. Blue team is losing the political superbowl right now and their defense is telling everyone who thinks in those terms that they were never going to win.

An argument about how this convoluted process that amounted to nothing actually means everything and should make you vote against the GOP is probably too nuanced for a lot of people. At least too nuanced for an explosion of enthusiasm beyond the people who were already motivated enough to care and vote against the GOP in the first place.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I guess I’m not really that worried about what people who don’t know the difference between impeachment and removal from office on December 19, 2019 think. Anyone who has read even one thing about the impeachment process in the last three months knows that. If your friends don’t know it, they weren’t ever going to be useful contributors to politics anyway.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

BlackIronHeart posted:

It's totally a political long game and Trump basically gave it to them by being dumb enough to make that Ukraine phone call and double down by ordering subpoenas be ignored.

He's not going to be removed but this whole thing will be brought up constantly by Dems as it should.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RepSylviaGarcia/status/1207393051234189312

:thunk: I-I what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

I guess I’m not really that worried about what people who don’t know the difference between impeachment and removal from office on December 19, 2019 think. Anyone who has read even one thing about the impeachment process in the last three months knows that. If your friends don’t know it, they weren’t ever going to be useful contributors to politics anyway.

Like I originally said. Dangerous underestimation.

There have been plenty of people who post in this very political sub forum who didn't know that the Senate got to decide if this actually matters or not and just found this out, Today.

When we are extending the impeachment discussion to it's outcome on the next election and we are talking about voting enthusiasm it's pretty bad to just discount everyone who doesn't know every intimate detail of the process as being useless. You've lost perspective since you live and breathe politics constantly.

All of these people vote.