Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Agony Aunt posted:

Anyone know what the next big tech after server meshing is going to be when server meshing fails to solve all CIG problems?

I think once the Laterally Integrated Gaussian Master Architecture is coupled with Boundary Attached Low Level States everything will come together.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
built my spaceship railjack thing in warframe and its pretty fun and impressive, although the bugs are loving terrible

things that it actually has, gameplay wise

multicrew - use turrets, fix damage to the ship
command module - call out enemies, issue commands, use helpful abilities across the map
EVA - fly outside the ship and use your archwing spacesuit thing to shoot down ships
boarding - get launched from the ship like a torpedo and board enemy ships and blow em up

pretty cool

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 19, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

built my spaceship railjack thing in warframe and its pretty fun and impressive, although the bugs are loving terrible

things that it actually has, gameplay wise

multicrew - use turrets, fix damage to the ship
command module - call out enemies, issue commands, use helpful
EVA - fly outside the ship and use your archwing spacesuit thing to shoot down ships
boarding - get launched from the ship like a torpedo and board enemy ships and blow em up

pretty cool

I bet the containers are barely streamed from the server-side. Their objects are probably loaded, like som weak baby infant with weak baby arms. Are they even rendering to texture?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I don't think Star Citizen is very good personally. I think infact, it is the opposite of good.

Star Citizen is bad.

To be fair, I bet it's more fun than playing any of the Wing Commander games.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I bet the containers are barely streamed from the server-side. Their objects are probably loaded, like som weak baby infant with weak baby arms. Are they even rendering to texture?
you do have a point, I think they are cheating and not doing everything real like a crobbo masterpiece

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Bubbacub posted:

I dunno. The first one and Prophecy weren’t that bad during gaming in those eras. If compared to today, then yes they are bad.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bubbacub posted:

Wing Commander 3 was a very good reason to demand a CD-ROM drive from your parents.

It also had a decent pew-pew-game in it. I remember there was a weapon (tachyon stuff or whatever) I got which basically murdered everyhing and some kind of torpedo that murdered everything that was bigger. Between that, there was Luke and a guy standing pretty uncomfortably looking like a big cat, and I could click on him to get some info for the next pew-pew mission with the tachyon stuff.

I think that's exactly what I told my parents to justify the CD-ROM drive purchase.

Pew-pew.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The next CD I bought was from some shady guy in Jungbusch, Mannheim, and it had like ten different Doom wad editors on it, coupled with hundreds of wads, and I can't remember the next three years of my life outside of creating Doom stuff.

e: I also tried a TIE Fighter editor that was on the same CD, and it was fun. I made huge space battles, but they crashed the game at some point, so I went back to Doom stuff. Thanks for listening.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Inacio posted:

reddit: Citizen defaces His vision by making sc look much, much better by simply applying good tonemapping
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/ect720/star_citizen_has_beautiful_visuals_but_they_tend/

it looks so much better. but of course it won't sell JPEGs, so forget about it.

:reddit: posted:

I don't agree with the first 10 seconds of the video since OP is essentially editing the natural look (colors) of Microtech's horizon to something they prefer (not every horizon needs to be blue and pink/purple). CIG's isn't faking that part since it's generated from the sun hitting the atmosphere.

lmao I forgot people believed this

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ya sure guy, they cant simulate people going to the toilet without glitching through the universe and dying, but they can definitely realistically simulate light from the sun hitting an atmosphere yessum!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's MEANT to look like poo poo ok..

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

:psyduck:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

heh, just found out why Citizens are mad about the QT changes: they nerfed fuckspensive whale ships. of course that's why.
it's not about "muh realism" or "muh immersion" it's about "you're making my e-peen less important".

quote:

Small ships are faster in QT but require more stops to fuel up, while large ships are slower but can travel large distances in one go. Sorry OP but CIG couldn't be more spot on about this.

because the game is no longer completely unplayable for the plebeians, the whales are angry. naturally.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Moola posted:

Ya sure guy, they cant simulate people going to the toilet without glitching through the universe and dying, but they can definitely realistically simulate light from the sun hitting an atmosphere yessum!

Every single photon entering the atmosphere is fully simulated, it might be hard for your FUDster mind to comprehend, but Star Citizen isn’t one of your poo poo tier non-fidelity games, it’s a full blown universe simulation. The foundation has already been laid, and once Socks version 2 is in, scientists will be using Star Citizen to test advanced theories in physics and cosmology.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 19, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Inacio posted:

it's MEANT to look like poo poo ok..

Absolutely loving all the comments saying just this. "it's more REALISTIC!!!!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

It's what raytracing was built for!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Inacio posted:

so this is the power of SSOCS.

e:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

They'll make up another acronym after that

Look, server meshing facilitates implementing HIJK which is the critical piece of LMNOP, which means they can build QRST.

All we need is QRST and then it'll be an MMO!

“Quantic Reprogrammable Server Tesselation“ sounds like something chris would love.
...and the backers too.
...and all the greedy studios would be jealous and try to steal this magical “tech“.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So is there some Holiday stream or announcement happening? Or is this just it for the end of the year and no word about SQ42 at all?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
New Industry Breaking Feature just released by CIG. The new mining mechanics are blowing EVERYONE away and it features the best cosplayer at CitCon as the main inspiration. TRUELY remarkable what CiG as been able to do and accomplish these past 8 years.

Take a look!

https://archive.org/details/arcade_bagman

“ The objective of the game is to maneuver the bagman through various mine shafts, picking up money bags and placing them in a wheelbarrow at the surface of the mine.”

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 19, 2019

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

Jungbusch, Mannheim

what a small world we live in

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

So is there some Holiday stream or announcement happening? Or is this just it for the end of the year and no word about SQ42 at all?

If they haven't announced it by now it's likely not happening. They didn't do one last year and the citizens only found that out through an offhand comment in concierge chat.

It's possible there's some surprise trailer coming - anything's possible - but it'd be really weird to not present that at CitizenCon instead.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 19, 2019

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Quavers posted:

Volunteer Regression: 3.8.0n

Greetings Citizens!

Below you will find a survey to check on bug fixes taken from the most recent set of patch notes. If you have time, investigate those features and let us know if we were able to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, please reply to this post with video/screenshots.

https://forms.gle/qvEmmtS6Mt3haCGB6

Thanks for your help!

:blastu:

This is from a few pages ago, but jesus christ. This is literally QA work, like the type of work I get full time benefits, and enough pay to survive in socal to do (not the only thing i do, but all QA is gonna do regression/confirmation testing from time to time). Who in the gently caress would do this for a for profit company for free? These people are broken in the brain.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

fargom posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but jesus christ. This is literally QA work, like the type of work I get full time benefits, and enough pay to survive in socal to do (not the only thing i do, but all QA is gonna do regression/confirmation testing from time to time). Who in the gently caress would do this for a for profit company for free? These people are broken in the brain.

You have no rights to question them after you give them your money and you are required to provide skilled labor.

I don't see why you are so blown away by this?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fargom posted:

When FD charged people to access beta and be beta testers players lost their poo poo. When SC does it, the backers celebrate.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not sure if this was already posted, but here's a Newsweek (lol) article specifically about SOCS in SC: 'STAR CITIZEN' DEVS EXPLAIN HOW SOCS MAKES SPACE FOR SPACE IN ALPHA 3.8

Citizens: hooray, SOCS is in, the player cap can raise above 50 now!

SC Dev: "Server OCS basically takes this huge load off the servers," Tracy explained, "they're like this mule that's been overburdened with planet after planet and Landing Zone after Landing Zone. We're taking that all off its back so clearly the mule's gonna be able to run faster." By loading less at once, the server demand is reduced.

On the OCS side, for example, Tracy suggested that the technology could eventually lead to server counts beyond 50 players. However, backers shouldn't expect improvements on that level immediately.

"We want to do that stuff internally, find out where our sweet spot for performance is and go with that," Tracy cautioned. So lobby sizes may increase over time, but not substantially. For those cataclysmic gains, Tracy and his teams have their eyes set on a venture called server meshing instead. "We don't want to spend a ton of time getting server OCS just right so we can get to 150. Because why? We'll get to 1,000 with the other one."

"Could eventually" lead to more than 50 players. "Could." "Eventually." Tier 0 people.

Also of note in the comments - sounds kinda like a goon that made this same observation a while ago:

Sorry, that [server meshing being groundbreaking] is not true. I have been working in this industry for over 35 years and my network code is in over 50 gaming titles and hundreds of applications around the world. I have worked mostly in Asia due to the explosion of the MMORPG and mobile RPG market and the demand of games to serve hundreds of thousands, even millions of players at the same time.

What they call OCS and Server Meshing has been developed in the early to mid 90's and quickly been dismissed because there are more efficient ways to achieve the same result for the clients. The second reason it was dismissed so fast is the absolute insane server costs when you start scaling this to only a few thousand players.

There really is nothing groundbreaking in this technology and as they will soon discover, it is also not very practical when it comes to resources. I read somewhere that this game will not have a monthly subscription and that leads me to the conclusion that they will not be able to pay for the server cost of this technology.

There is just no way they can pay Amazon AWS instances needed to run and simulate a single Solar system without heavy monetization.

I wish them good luck and i will follow the progress out of curiosity.

Woof.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 19, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popete posted:

Duh, they don't want any spoilers obviously.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Interesting thing about warframe railjack is that they actually made turret gameplay work and be entertaining. There are a number of things working in its favor that are frankly impossible in star citizen.

* Turret gunners have 360d FOV and turret arc, enabling them to participate no matter what else is going on
* Turrets have as much firepower as the primary gun, as well as access to secondary ordnance and tertiary special abilities.
* Turret gunners are often required or encouraged to change up gameplay by getting off the turrets in order to fight boarding parties, repair critical damage, or simply collect loot. Or alter their role by conducting boarding actions against other vessels.
* Speeds relative to target size are low enough to create decently sized hitboxes
* Enemy fighters are faster than the railjack, enabling them to make strafing runs and come about for another go. This behavior makes for a dynamic threat environment.
* Some targets have locational damage that is required to destroy them, requiring precise targeting depending on the angle
* Especially later in the game, the enemy will be launching vast quantities of ordnance at the railjack, all of which is both destroyable and slow enough to be identified and engaged by turret gunners
* Damage is by and large persistent. You won't ever be wasting your shots as long as you hit.

Star Citizen literally isn't going to be doing any of that

* Gunners control one turret with limited firepower and only one weapons systems
* If an enemies shields are too strong your guns are useless
* Gunners have limited arcs. Sometimes extremely limited arcs
* A combination of very precise aim and luck is required to even HIT enemies given the ranges and speeds involved
* Turret fights are likely to involve simply being chased by an enemy instead of one making attack runs.
* Missiles are going to be unhittable. The game implicitly concedes this by having AI controlled PD turrets

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 19, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I do think Crobbers has a complete SQ42 script and I bet it's hilarious. And also I'm sure has been rewritten constantly

I just want to read the part he wrote after he saw black panther. Then I can die happy

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Interesting thing about warframe railjack is that they actually made turret gameplay work and be entertaining. There are a number of things working in its favor that are frankly impossible in star citizen.

Really cool. I love reading about Warframe but it's a shame all these cool things they're doing are attached to a game with such a high barrier of entry :(

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, they used to have a letter from the chairman after big funding milestones. Did they send one for the quarter of a billion dollars one?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Really cool. I love reading about Warframe but it's a shame all these cool things they're doing are attached to a game with such a high barrier of entry :(

I hope they will just let new players access railjack. Although the Archwing (free space flight) module is required to complete most Railjack missions, you only actually *need* one person with it. New players could man the Railjack while the experienced player completes objectives.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I hope they will just let new players access railjack. Although the Archwing (free space flight) module is required to complete most Railjack missions, you only actually *need* one person with it. New players could man the Railjack while the experienced player completes objectives.

Well, it's a little more than that - there's just so much stuff in Warframe that it's mind-boggling for anyone trying to get into it. I put a good 100+ hours into it a few months ago, and ended up giving up because I was STILL struggling to fit my arms around it and it felt more like a chore than fun.

The ideas they've been putting into the game recently are really cool, but they butt up against years-long issues of balance, information overload, and abandoned content. I think I'd jump in if they did a reboot with a new game without all that baggage with all their new, cool ideas like the railjack and open world and such, but in the current state, I just don't like the framework it's built on.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Can't really argue with any of that ;)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inacio posted:

heh, just found out why Citizens are mad about the QT changes: they nerfed fuckspensive whale ships. of course that's why.

Oh they fixed the QT mechanics? I might have to jump in and do another write up. Spending 20+ minutes every time I wanted to play just flying to an empty planet was a giant fun suck.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

This problem could be no better exemplified than the current partial deployment of the upcoming microTech planet. "We are so at the limit right now that we put microTech in, but we didn't put the Landing Zone in yet because we do need server OCS so we can have the rest of that Landing Zone," Tracy admitted. In other words, this game about space literally has no more to offer.

wait, i thought socks were in on 3.8? :thunk:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh they fixed the QT mechanics? I might have to jump in and do another write up. Spending 20+ minutes every time I wanted to play just flying to an empty planet was a giant fun suck.

"fixed" is an exaggeration - it's just less awful for cheaper ships. ymmv.

also Citizens have said that it might be just for the PTU, too - you can now QT from 10,000m, which means that once again it's less tedious immersive and might leave after PTU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Inacio posted:

"fixed" is an exaggeration - it's just less awful for cheaper ships. ymmv.

also Citizens have said that it might be just for the PTU, too - you can now QT from 10,000m, which means that once again it's less tedious immersive and might leave after PTU

Friend, I'm seeing some troubling language here. "After PTU" - are you starting to believe there will actually be a game here some day? Pull back, my son, before the darkness overtakes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, you know how SC fans tend to go all gaga over any mention of the SQ42 actors?

Well, i was watching Electric Dreams and in episode 6 there is Liam Cunnigham has a space general, dressed in a uniform not too unlike in the SQ42 promo stuff.

I thought, i bet the SC backers will love this. I haven't seen anyone talking about this series despite it being out for a while, and i searched on the SC sub and saw no mention of it.

So i decided to make a post about it there suggesting people take a look, but didn't give the name because i thought it would be a nice surprise, and maybe introduce some people to the series who hadn't seen it (and i'm enjoying it a lot).

What happens?

90% downvoted and nothing but negative comments.

I'm just gobsmacked. I probably should have said 10 hail Roberts before posting or something.

But i'm really done with that sub, they can't even handle something nice being posted by someone who is critical. Going to ask for a permaban. If SC ever releases, and if its any good, and i get interested, i can live without being part of that community.