Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gently caress Mayo Pete

edit: excellent snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oxsnard posted:

"Gabbard is not a Russian asset I continue to insist, as she continues to bafflingly act in a way that Putin would approve of"

There is only one reason someone would disapprove of America intervention in Syria, and it is because they are the main characters from The Americans.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And of course that argument also ignores that "it's just $2,800" is an insane statement in a world where the average American can't survive a $400 emergency.

What if a Bernie supporter supports 100 times?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1207674745929555968

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

oxsnard posted:

"Gabbard is not a Russian asset I continue to insist, as she continues to bafflingly act in a way that Putin would approve of"

Post proof or take it to the conspiracy thread (or forum)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

loving bernie bros going to throw the election to Trump again!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lol that second picture-statement wrecks my loving head, haven't these dumbasses learned that when given the choice between ghoulish succdem and a Republican, they'll choose Republican 10/10 times? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mind_Taker posted:

loving bernie bros going to lose the Dems the election again!

Those loving Butt or Bursters!

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

oxsnard posted:

how exactly do you know what putin would approve of in the case of the impeachment vote? how do you know putin doesn't want trump impeached (for trashing us/russia relations, for tearing up the nuclear arms treaties, for sending more arms to ukraine and attempting to sabatoge the ongoing peace talks in ukraine)? maybe all the democrats who voted yes were actually the ones acting in ways putin would approve of.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

HootTheOwl posted:

What if a Bernie supporter supports 100 times?

Don't doxx me

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

GoluboiOgon posted:

how exactly do you know what putin would approve of in the case of the impeachment vote? how do you know putin doesn't want trump impeached (for trashing us/russia relations, for tearing up the nuclear arms treaties, for sending more arms to ukraine and attempting to sabatoge the ongoing peace talks in ukraine)? maybe all the democrats who voted yes were actually the ones acting in ways putin would approve of.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1207653345730715649

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Since the dumb Russia conspiracy poo poo has once again unfortunately reared its head, let me reiterate that the main reason why it's so loving stupid is that it literally assumes that two people cannot hold the same opinion independently or for different reasons.

Also there's way more evidence of Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama being chummy with Putin than Tulsi Gabbard

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Let's stop talking about Gabbard and move on to a serious, respectable candidate

https://twitter.com/StatusCoup/status/1207505503884062725?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I would just like to clarify that asset =/= agent

Gabbard is still running for the Democratic nomination and just kicked the can when the issue has 80% approval ratings among the party. RT continues to signal boost her and covers her with breathless positive coverage. She is helpful to them and they give her positive coverage in return. It doesn't have to be a written agreement or require Tulsi to be aware of it for her to be an unwitting asset

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Let's stop talking about Gabbard and move on to a serious, respectable candidate

https://twitter.com/StatusCoup/status/1207505503884062725?s=20

Jesus CHRIST there's always more and it's always worse

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

Remember when Pete pretended like he didn't know who Alfred E. Neuman which ended up making him look dumber than Trump? I say pretended because if he legitimately didn't know he's actually dumber than Trump.

That's a cultural reference that's less and less relevant tbh and Pete is just young enough that I'd buy him not getting it

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I guess the real question re: Gabbard being a Russian stooge is why the gently caress should I care? She's an idiot also-ran who's burning every bit of goodwill she built up with the left by going on Tucker Carlson repeatedly. I don't care if Putin personally delivers her oversized novelty checks to thank her for her service; she doesn't matter.

Also Pete is a racist but unfortunately this won't hurt his polling much since black people already figured that out.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

oxsnard posted:

Gabbard is still running for the Democratic nomination and just kicked the can when the issue has 80% approval ratings among the party. RT continues to signal boost her and covers her with breathless positive coverage. She is helpful to them and they give her positive coverage in return. It doesn't have to be a written agreement or require Tulsi to be aware of it for her to be an unwitting asset

This is a literally insane standard that could be used to paint anyone in any position of power and/or influence in the country as a Russian asset, hth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That's a cultural reference that's less and less relevant tbh and Pete is just young enough that I'd buy him not getting it

I'm slightly younger than him and I know who it is. And he's supposed to be this bright Rhodes Scholar type. A bunch of media he grew up with referenced it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This is obviously a wicked scheme from the wily Ivan to trick people in the US into supporting impeachment, and therefore anyone who voted for impeachment is an unwitting Russian asset and if you disagree you're clearly a Russian plant.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
that headline is massively misleading. putin doesn't seem to be defending trump at all in the attached video. he's just saying that he doesn't think trump will be convicted.

quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin called the U.S. impeachment process "far-fetched" on Thursday, making a seemingly obvious prediction that Donald Trump will be acquitted in the Senate.

Putin said Thursday at his annual news conference in Moscow that the move is a continuation of the Democrats' fight against Trump.

"The party that lost the (2016) election, the Democratic Party, is trying to achieve results by other means," Putin said.

He likened Trump's impeachment to the earlier U.S. probe into collusion with Russia, which Putin downplayed as being groundless.

Putin noted that the impeachment motion "is yet to pass the Senate where the Republicans have a majority." He added that “they will be unlikely to remove a representative of their own party from office on what seems to me an absolutely far-fetched reason.”

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GoluboiOgon posted:

that headline is massively misleading. putin doesn't seem to be defending trump at all in the attached video. he's just saying that he doesn't think trump will be convicted.

Post your giant sack of rubles, asset

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Post your giant sack of rubles, asset

if you knew anything about russia you would know that assets get paid in crisp $100 bills ever since the fall of the soviet union.

edit: i'm not an asset, just pointing out that you know nothing. this cargo-cult red scare is going to blow up in everyone's faces if people continue in it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tulsi Gabbard is so loving stupid holy poo poo.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

GoluboiOgon posted:

if you knew anything about russia you would know that assets get paid in crisp $100 bills ever since the fall of the soviet union.

wow someone here knows a lot about russia

what's up with that

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GoluboiOgon posted:

edit: i'm not an asset, just pointing out that you know nothing. this cargo-cult red scare is going to blow up in everyone's faces if people continue in it.

This sounds suspiciously exactly like something Putin would want you to say.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Groovelord Neato posted:

Tulsi Gabbard is so loving stupid holy poo poo.

This is a completely sufficient explanation for her observed behavior.

COMRADE :ussr:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sean10mm posted:

I just saw her video explaining her vote and christ almighty what a dolt.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

oxsnard posted:

Ok but under this definition, Hillary and Obama got positive coverage in Russian media for their reset button tour, so are they Russian assets, and if so why should I care about a term that broad and meaningless.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

I just saw her video explaining her vote and christ almighty what a dolt.

She's prepping to become a Fox News commentator, it's super obvious and everything she does makes sense in light of that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if you want to full-on it's-time-for-some-game-theory it, it's actually interesting to plot out what would be the ideal outcome for Russia of this whole mess, but it's a little far afield of the primary

nice to see Tulsi leaving the door open for her Fox News future tho

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah all this Russiagate stuff is dumb as hell. Just because the interests of two separate actors align doesn't mean they're in cahoots. Blaming Russia for [insert American societal ill here] is just silly. Doesn't mean they're not trying to do the same covert subversive stuff to us that we do to them and to other countries, but you can't pin everything on that.

Gabbard is your garden variety self-interested, power hungry person who sees politics (now) and commentating (later) as a way to ensure her influence. She just happens to also be a member of a cult that supports an ethno-nationalist fascist. It's not rocket science.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah all this Russiagate stuff is dumb as hell. Just because the interests of two separate actors align doesn't mean they're in cahoots. Blaming Russia for [insert American societal ill here] is just silly. Doesn't mean they're not trying to do the same covert subversive stuff to us that we do to them and to other countries, but you can't pin everything on that.

Gabbard is your garden variety self-interested, power hungry person who sees politics (now) and commentating (later) as a way to ensure her influence. She just happens to also be a member of a cult that supports an ethno-nationalist fascist. It's not rocket science.

Yeah, but these explanations don't keep up the fear and hysteria that keeps the Russiagate grift going, now does it?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He's super white and grew up when MADTV was a thing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My favorite recent thing with regards to Russia hysteria is how Brexit was apparently a Russian campaign, but also Corbyn's most recent campaign was also boosted by Russia. And if you point out these things don't make sense together, the reply is that Russia is a chaos agent.

The real thing that people mean to say when they claim someone is a Russian asset is that deviate from American foreign policy orthodoxy.

Podesta fell for the dumbest phishing attempt (a fake google security alert that used a bit.ly link), and he fell because he asked Hillary's IT team and they said it was "legitimate" but later claimed that he meant to say "illegitimate." Russiagaters never wonder if Podesta or if the Hillary campaign were Russian fronts. Not that I think that they are, but it's instructive to think why Gabbard's stupidity must mean that she is a Russian asset, but not Podesta's or his team's stupidity. And the reason is that Podesta pushes the acceptable foreign policy but Gabbard doesn't. Same with Obama mocking Romney about Russia in 2012. He droned and bombed the people the foreign policy apparatus wanted, so no one wonders if that was part of Russian infiltration.

The indictments of the Internet Research Agency portray a deeply ineffective, amateur operation. According to the indictment, they didn't know what a purple state was or that they should focus on it until June of 2016, and they had to keep a list of American holidays on hand for reference. The idea that this time around they've managed to land a candidate, who is not only a candidate, but a member of congress and of the armed forces, is ridiculous.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 19, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Maybe the Russian assets were the friends we made along the way.

:glomp:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

He's super white and grew up when MADTV was a thing.

Simpsons also referenced MAD a number of times, as did other pop culture touchstones of the day.

If anything it's just further proof that instead of a normal childhood he's a homunculus grown in a lab to appeal to voters, but the white scientists who handled the process didn't think making him care about black people would be a concern.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, but these explanations don't keep up the fear and hysteria that keeps the Russiagate grift going, now does it?

There's this really tedious motte-and-bailey argument going on, where simultaneously someone being a Russian is some kind of horrible threat to our democracy that we must fear above all else, but then when anyone asks basic questions like "do you have any evidence this person is a Russian asset", then someone being a Russian asset is a totally unremarkable thing and it just means they've been mentioned positively in Russian media at some point (which applies to pretty much everyone notable) so even doubting the accusation is crazy because well look here you can see a Russian anchor said something nice about them can't you.

So everyone is a Russian asset don't you see, it's nothing to be concerned about and in fact if you are concerned that the accusation is spurious that's very suspicious/crazy. But of course once everyone forgets the details of the conversation and the meaningless definition of Russian asset being used, then it's right back to "so-and-so is a Russian asset, they're coming for your children, be afraid!

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

What's your point here? That Russia is doing nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Have we gotten “Russia is making Bernie an anti-semite” take yet?

Obviously Bernie is routinely accused of both being antisemitic and a russian asset, but I haven’t seen them put together yet.