Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Don't forget Gardner. He's essentially a dead man walking what with Hickenlooper running for Senate.

Gardner is dead and buried.

But, he isn't independently wealthy or anything. He's always been around at the right place and the right time. He won't bite the hand that feeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

update:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1207664468437749761

it appears trump hasn't been officially impeached because the Marshall of the Supreme Court has not served him an Impeachment Warrant yet. i take no pleasure in reporting this

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The coward deleted it. What did he say?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
If this country had real politics Democrats would be mobilizing mass protests in the streets demanding his and pence's resignation.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
"Remember all those things democrats voted against before? Clearly a witch hunt."
-Mitch McConnell

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My chud brother texted me pro-Trump impeachment memes this morning. Ugh.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

whydirt posted:

Just quote the transcript back to him.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

ummel posted:

"Remember all those things democrats voted against before? Clearly a witch hunt."
-Mitch McConnell

He loving knows they talked about impeaching Clinton on day one and he wants to act all "How dare you!" to Democrats wanting to impeach Trump.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lets all keep in mind the terrible precedent this now sets as we finally realize that Republicans will now 'Really Really Really' try and impeach every Democrat president immediately upon them taking office instead of just 'really really really' trying.....

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

whydirt posted:

Do what I do with one of my close yet unfortunately pro-Trump friends, which is laugh condescendingly, mock them, and move on to more fun topics.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DandyLion posted:

Lets all keep in mind the terrible precedent this now sets as we finally realize that Republicans will now 'Really Really Really' try and impeach every Democrat president immediately upon them taking office instead of just 'really really really' trying.....
I thought about that and the inevitable result of that would be President Pelosi, so that would cool their brakes

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Xanderkish posted:

Do what I do with one of my close yet unfortunately pro-Trump friends, which is laugh condescendingly, mock them, and move on to more fun topics.

Or reply with a British upper crust accent.

Faili that, the Long Patrol/Redwall accent aught to do it

"I say, these chaps are right cheesed off an' worried, wot wot?"

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

Seems like a good opportunity for a goatse.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DandyLion posted:

Threats of Republicans acting disingenuously is not a valid reason for not doing the right thing. RWM is going to RWM. Trump is going to Trump. Congressional Repubs are going to Congressional Repub. RWM is going to RWM. Chuds are going to Chud.

They're going to act like they act regardless. They shouldn't be the focus of anything but derision.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

highme posted:

Threats of Republicans acting disingenuously is not a valid reason for not doing the right thing. RWM is going to RWM. Trump is going to Trump. Congressional Repubs are going to Congressional Repub. RWM is going to RWM. Chuds are going to Chud.

They're going to act like they act regardless. They shouldn't be the focus of anything but derision.

Right on.

Its just funny to hear them threaten to do what they've been doing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Certain piece of irony having the gravedigger talk about a low bar for impeachment when the Republicans tried to impeach Clinton over sex acts.

highme
May 25, 2001

DandyLion posted:

Right on.

Its just funny to hear them threaten to do what they've been doing.

poo poo, my bad, I completely missed your derision. :respek:

I see way too much "RWM gonna spin **fart**" around here and was reacting to that as well.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Schumer is giving a great speech on the Senate floor right now.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 19, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Schumer is govt a great speech on the Senate floor right now.

I like what he is saying. I just kind of wish he could say it better.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Madkal posted:

I like what he is saying. I just kind of wish he could say it better.

Is anything more Chuck Schumer than that, though?

highme
May 25, 2001

Schum Gang

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will take small victories. I understand Trump being removed from office is extremely unlikely, but this still feels good. What he did with Ukraine was extremely bad, so not letting anyone convince me otherwise that impeachment was unwarranted or had some hidden agenda behind it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The 7th Guest posted:

I thought about that and the inevitable result of that would be President Pelosi, so that would cool their brakes

Not sure you've thought that all the way through there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Donald Trump talks like my late grandfather used to. That's the thing that strikes me every time I listen to him speak. It's the cadence, the mid-sentence digressions, the particular tone he takes when he says something he knows is mean or insulting. He pronounces things differently and has that distinctly Trumpy vocal quality obviously but the rhythm and cadence are remarkably similar and it's loving uncanny.

If he'd been alive to vote for Trump he would've done so gleefully, too. Dude had a steady dripfeed of Fox News directly into his eyeballs almost to the very end.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Besesoth posted:

We've known forever that he uses lovely bronzer. His aides confirmed it within the last 30 days. He just applied it badly today.

Aside from the application being done poorly, he is such a weird darker color I wonder if he will have transitioned to full on blackface by the debates.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Harrow posted:

Donald Trump talks like my late grandfather used to. That's the thing that strikes me every time I listen to him speak. It's the cadence, the mid-sentence digressions, the particular tone he takes when he says something he knows is mean or insulting. He pronounces things differently and has that distinctly Trumpy vocal quality obviously but the rhythm and cadence are remarkably similar and it's loving uncanny.

If he'd been alive to vote for Trump he would've done so gleefully, too. Dude had a steady dripfeed of Fox News directly into his eyeballs almost to the very end.
my dad talks like this too. that weird straining "listen" they do while they try to stall for time to figure out a lie "listen! listen! listen! I'm talking to you alright? Alright?" just all of the same verbal ticks, it's loving weird to hear. he even says distrustful things are "a beauty" like trump.
it's funny, unlike every other rich rear end in a top hat you can 100% tell trump is from new york, he never explored, never branched out, never used his money to go anywhere but pedophile parties. he's lead a sad, pathetically small life.
And he is the president!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Not sure you've thought that all the way through there
me being a dumbshit is nothing new!!

e: right it'd have to be a repub house/speaker to do an impeach i gotcha

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 19, 2019

brae
Feb 2, 2006
Something I don't get about the obstruction of congress charge, sorry if it's been discussed - what is the proposed legal defense for the administration refusing to comply with congressional subpeonas?

So far, what I've seen is bare assertions from Republicans and White House counsel that the impeachment investigation is "baseless" and therefore they don't have to comply. Is there any sort of Constitutional or legal basis to that? Like, if I'm served a congressional subpeona can I just say "nuh-uh, you don't have a case!" and refuse to comply? Because I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

As Trump has explicitly stated he will blanket refuse to cooperate, "obstruction of congress" doesn't seem debatable or to have any gray area like the Republicans are trying to pretend exists with the abuse of power charge. Am I missing something, or is it just that obstruction is seen as less egregious than withholding military aid from Ukraine?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The right-wing radio talk show host in Colorado who wished for a school shooting yesterday lost his show the same day.

"Bonniwell quickly tried to back off from the statement, saying he would want a shooting “in which no one would be hurt,” but the damage had already been done. By the end of the day, the couple’s conservative show was canceled by the Aurora, Colo., radio station 710 KNUS."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/19/conservative-radio-host-wishes-colorado-school-shooting-during-trump-impeachment/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rust Martialis posted:

The right-wing radio talk show host in Colorado who wished for a school shooting yesterday lost his show the same day.

"Bonniwell quickly tried to back off from the statement, saying he would want a shooting “in which no one would be hurt,” but the damage had already been done. By the end of the day, the couple’s conservative show was canceled by the Aurora, Colo., radio station 710 KNUS."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/19/conservative-radio-host-wishes-colorado-school-shooting-during-trump-impeachment/

710 KNUS is one of my local talk radio stations. They are extremely Nazi friendly. They also fired a host mid show after he was critical of Trump. I hope they catch as much poo poo as possible for this

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

brae posted:

Something I don't get about the obstruction of congress charge, sorry if it's been discussed - what is the proposed legal defense for the administration refusing to comply with congressional subpeonas?

Blanket application of executive privilege, the legitimacy of which is slowly (very slowly) moving its way towards the Supreme Court.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Madkal posted:

Certain piece of irony having the gravedigger talk about a low bar for impeachment when the Republicans tried to impeach Clinton over sex acts.

They didn’t even do that! They impeached him for lying about sex acts. I’m pretty sure that no Republican thought the actual abuse part (sex with a subordinate) was bad - they mostly made noises about infidelity.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 19, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rust Martialis posted:

hahahah. eat poo poo rear end in a top hat. also i love that he can't just say "yeah it was lovely of me to say that" he has to say "well i hope no one dies" loving rear end in a top hat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did Pelosi do her press conference yet?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Djarum posted:

You are an outlier my friend. I have had the conversation with most of my friends over the years about this stuff and nearly no one had good education on this stuff in school. Generally you got a basic understanding of the three branches of government and a slight overview of how laws are passed but that is it. loving School House Rock had more depth than most curriculum on it.

The only reason why I had a good understanding of how US government works was I have always been interested in history and politics. So I read a lot and educated myself. Most of my non-political friends, even those who took government in college, don't have a firm grasp on how things work. It is a failing of the educational system. There are reasons why it is this way now but that is an entirely different subject for a different thread.

I went through all 12 grades of school and was interested in politics since I was a kid and I said "the House and the Congress" for years until I was 19 when my girlfriend said, "It's the House and the Senate, they're both part of the Congress. You sound like a dipshit when you say it wrong." And I was interested and trying to learn. In my 30s I've had to explain to people that the Earth revolves around the sun not the other way around, and that stars are just suns that are far away. The star thing blew their goddamn minds. We have a bad education system.

Rust Martialis posted:

Him taking a call from a listener from Littleton right after he said that is just so amazing.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 19, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I went through all 12 grades of school and was interested in politics since I was a kid and I said "the House and the Congress" for years until I was 19 when my girlfriend said, "It's the House and the Senate, they're both part of the Congress. You sound like a dipshit when you say it wrong." And I was interested and trying to learn. In my 30s I've had to explain to people that the Earth revolves around the sun not the other way around, and that stars are just suns that are far away. The star thing blew their goddamn minds. We have a bad education system.

we could have the best education system in the world and people are still going to be dumb as gently caress.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

bird cooch posted:

we could have the best education system in the world and people are still going to be dumb as gently caress.

The education system, much like every social system in the United States, has been balkanized by wealth inequality.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

brae posted:

So far, what I've seen is bare assertions from Republicans and White House counsel that the impeachment investigation is "baseless" and therefore they don't have to comply. Is there any sort of Constitutional or legal basis to that? Like, if I'm served a congressional subpeona can I just say "nuh-uh, you don't have a case!" and refuse to comply? Because I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

As Trump has explicitly stated he will blanket refuse to cooperate, "obstruction of congress" doesn't seem debatable or to have any gray area like the Republicans are trying to pretend exists with the abuse of power charge. Am I missing something, or is it just that obstruction is seen as less egregious than withholding military aid from Ukraine?

No, there is no merit whatever to Trump's claims of executive privilege. EP has to be asserted on a question by question basis, it does not preclude a witness from even showing up.

The whole point is to delay the witnesses and release of documents until after the election.

As with the abuse of power charge, there is no defense. Republicans are just spouting nonsense because they're obligated to say something.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

brae posted:

Deteriorata posted:

No, there is no merit whatever to Trump's claims of executive privilege. EP has to be asserted on a question by question basis, it does not preclude a witness from even showing up.

The whole point is to delay the witnesses and release of documents until after the election.

As with the abuse of power charge, there is no defense. Republicans are just spouting nonsense because they're obligated to say something.

to be clear, while Deteriorata isn't wrong, Trump has not ever claimed executive privilege about anything here, he's asserted "absolute immunity" to everything, something even more nonsensical and illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pelosi should hold the articles until the election or whatever causes the trial to go beyond January 2021 so the Senate can get a new makeup/maybe Mitch is defeated. I had no idea she could hold them at all.