Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Does anyone know of a good book on the history of DARPA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Hauldren Collider posted:

Does anyone know of a good book on the history of DARPA?

All the good stuff would be redacted, wouldn't it?

I don't know if it's any good, but I've been meaning to read this one:

https://books.google.com/books?id=m...epage&q&f=false

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

All the good stuff would be redacted, wouldn't it?

Actually I think a lot of what DARPA does is unclassified.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Hauldren Collider posted:

Actually I think a lot of what DARPA does is unclassified.

:tinfoil:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Don Gato posted:

WWII starts in 1950 when Stalin invades the unprepared Allies, but that war ends after a dating raid using Chrono-technology to end the war early. The Soviet Tesla tower technology was also very overhyped and could easily be defeated with airpower.

:perfect:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raenir Salazar posted:

If a time traveller went back in time and killed Hitler before 1938, would the USA still have invested the resources into the Manhattan Project? Would the Soviets had without the West's scientific atomics literature suddenly and mysteriously all drying up after 1938?

France might have become the first nuclear power.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This looks very interesting (Apologies if already posted): http://www.nuclearwarsimulator.com/

Demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55x11a0aKtY

The dev Ivan Stepanov expects to release it in early 2020.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

quote:

There are currently over 13000 nuclear weapons on this planet of which over 9000 are in military stockpiles.

What do they mean by this sentence? I'm confused. Does he mean that 4,000 are deployed and 9,000 are in warehouses? Are 9,000 in use by militaries and the rest are what, missing? In civilian hands?

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

What do they mean by this sentence? I'm confused. Does he mean that 4,000 are deployed and 9,000 are in warehouses? Are 9,000 in use by militaries and the rest are what, missing? In civilian hands?

Amazon is now a nuclear power.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Problematic Soup posted:

Amazon now offers nuclear weapons as a prime day deal

Fixed that.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Problematic Soup posted:

Amazon is now a nuclear power.

Same day delivery!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

I assume they mean decommissioned from service and in some point in line for disassembly and disposal.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bezos heard 30 minute delivery anywhere on the planet and started salivating uncontrollably while speaking in tongues

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Semi-related, but is this graph I keep seeing accurate?

Did the USSR really have 40,000 nuclear weapons in ~1990?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1177/0096340213501363 it's accurate*

e: *a well-informed and plausible estimate, not confirmed

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 19, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So about that Chinese pig (the food kind) epidemic...

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

This is less and less true for China, whose arsenal size and launch platforms are increasingly capable of supporting a first strike. I don't believe they have any intent to first strike in any vaguely credible circumstance, but as they modernize they acquire the capability almost whether they want it or not.

Separately, there's an interesting moral problem with no first use, particularly with a small stockpile: it implies strictly countervalue targeting, i.e., that the only purpose of one's weapons is to incinerate millions of non-combatant men, women, and children.
A. I don’t see how China would be capable of a first strike any time soon. Pretty much every official source seem to agree that they have around 260 nuclear warheads. Not a lot compared to the thousands in the US and Russia.

B. A no first use policy kinda does imply that “the only purpose of one's weapons is to incinerate millions of non-combatant men, women, and children”. But the lack of such a policy implies that you’ll “incinerate millions of military personnel, non-combatant men, women, and children” if you feel the need to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hedenius posted:

A. I don’t see how China would be capable of a first strike any time soon. Pretty much every official source seem to agree that they have around 260 nuclear warheads. Not a lot compared to the thousands in the US and Russia.

B. A no first use policy kinda does imply that “the only purpose of one's weapons is to incinerate millions of non-combatant men, women, and children”. But the lack of such a policy implies that you’ll “incinerate millions of military personnel, non-combatant men, women, and children” if you feel the need to.

They could absolutely first strike their immediate neighbors.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9lnIDdkMo

Tom cruise is a weirdo but I appreciate his dedication to his craft.

i've ridden in a rear seat three times. all three times I managed to both black out completely and throw up everywhere. that poo poo is no joke and I like the idea of actors having to go through it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've read multiple reports that have unanimously declared that yes, Tom Cruise is a weirdo but he is a consummate professional and a hell of a nice guy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

He’s apparently also crazy when it comes to stunt poo poo b

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Cyrano4747 posted:

He’s apparently also crazy when it comes to stunt poo poo b

I mean if learning to fly an aerobatic helicopter for MI - Fallout didn't tell you that already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um0aZKbpe1Y

Dude is no joke

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Didn't he break his ankle doing one of the skyscraper stunts in MI: Ghost Protocol?

Also he's still a Scientologist and rich so he can afford to be dumb so gently caress him.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Didn't he break his ankle doing one of the skyscraper stunts in MI: Ghost Protocol?

Also he's still a Scientologist and rich so he can afford to be dumb so gently caress him.

Yeah and like Jackie Chan he put a fake shoe over the cast and kept going. Dude's got serious mental health issues but I still respect his craft and he's enjoyable to watch in movies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've read multiple reports that have unanimously declared that yes, Tom Cruise is a weirdo but he is a consummate professional and a hell of a nice guy.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/tom...sequel-filming/

He's a very good actor, but he's only nice to people who matter or whomever's allowed to point a camera at him at that given moment.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He's a very good actor, but he's only nice to people who matter or whomever's allowed to point a camera at him at that given moment.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

So about that Chinese pig (the food kind) epidemic...

I pretty sure everyone can agree, that if China makes bacon go extinct, its complete justifiable reason for a first strike situation. :crossarms:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

If the US did go to war with China tactical nuclear strikes would probably be used somewhat early on.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Pile Of Garbage posted:

If the US did go to war with China tactical nuclear strikes would probably be used somewhat early on.

Why? China using tac nukes against US forces would be a very bad idea, and I can't think of a scenario where the US would need tactical nukes.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Why? China using tac nukes against US forces would be a very bad idea, and I can't think of a scenario where the US would need tactical nukes.

I can imagine a scenario where if poo poo did get real the US might very much want to avoid a drawn-out costly conventional conflict with troops on the ground (A Vietnam v2 if you will) and might use tac nukes to accelerate the conflict. Conversely China may use tac nukes to close the gap, maybe try to take out a carrier group or something.

I'm probably way off and it'd be incredibly unlikely but I think that the geopolitical conditions which would involve the US and China going to war are the exact same kind of conditions in which the use of tac nukes would be realistically considered.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I can imagine a scenario where if poo poo did get real the US might very much want to avoid a drawn-out costly conventional conflict with troops on the ground (A Vietnam v2 if you will) and might use tac nukes to accelerate the conflict. Conversely China may use tac nukes to close the gap, maybe try to take out a carrier group or something.

I'm probably way off and it'd be incredibly unlikely but I think that the geopolitical conditions which would involve the US and China going to war are the exact same kind of conditions in which the use of tac nukes would be realistically considered.

I don't think there's any way a conflict like that goes nuclear unless one side or the other starts to view it as existential. The US isn't ever going to be quick to elevate a conflict to "world ending," and if the Chinese decide they want to for some reason, they're going to want a lot more bang for their buck than nuking a warship at sea.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe there's an argument to be made for bunker busters but unlike the cold war where Soviet columns had a real shot at overwhelming NATO, there's nothing at all comparable in the pacific.

There's at best, the scenario of China landing on Taiwan; in the same way the Soviets in Cuba had tacnukes in case of invasion. Nothing presents itself suffiently as a valuable enough target to warrant them; even in the case of Taiwan, the PLA's naval landing forces are likely highly mobile / high firepower and not reliant on big massive overlord style invasions and thus doesn't present enough of a target.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

I don't think there's any way a conflict like that goes nuclear unless one side or the other starts to view it as existential. The US isn't ever going to be quick to elevate a conflict to "world ending," and if the Chinese decide they want to for some reason, they're going to want a lot more bang for their buck than nuking a warship at sea.

I feel like climate change may precipitate exactly the required existential threat. Almost every single sovereign defence organisation has produced multiple reports about the impending threat, most importantly to logistics (IIRC the last DoD report said getting and supplying potable water to all US forces globally will be hosed).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I’ve heard ta joke that each GBU-57 might as well have its dedicated JDPI added to the serial number of the bomb, but given how tate/expensive they are, that kind of detail may well have gone into the procurement order.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I can imagine a scenario

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

China threatening release of the president's dick pic and the US going with a desperate longshot first strike to prevent?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense watch watch: It is scheduled to take until late 2020 for the inevitable to happen and Davie shipyard to join the NSS

Also, the three ministries currently in charge of mil/coast guard procurement have been assigned to assess options and create a new, eh, thing to do this job as these three ministries are manifestly awful at it

After Christmas I might send them all a letter full of pointed suggestions

e: sorry if this has been posted already, but: pig influenza all over Asia now

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50833054

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 20, 2019

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I feel like climate change may precipitate exactly the required existential threat. Almost every single sovereign defence organisation has produced multiple reports about the impending threat, most importantly to logistics (IIRC the last DoD report said getting and supplying potable water to all US forces globally will be hosed).

It is challenging to imagine a scenario where a resourced starved country improves its lot by being glassed. Keep in mind "existential threat" in the nuclear context is a threat to regime survival, not to population standards of living.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Isn’t that understating the problem by counting compounds that are related to each other and not independent in resistance, and also by counting new uses for old drugs?

The last time a truly novel drug was developed for gram‐negative bacteria, JFK drew breath.

e: relevant page number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The CIA misidentified a piece of missile as part of an MH-17 and was corrected by Twitter:

https://twitter.com/TheDEWLine/status/1207687955042783232

I assume this is a psyop ;)