Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skyarb posted:

Hahaha gently caress off jesus

It's not "just" a USB cable, it's a fibre-optic cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's "just" a cable though. From the end user perspective what's inside doesn't matter. Price and function does. Needing such an expensive cable is a consequence of the design decisions of the HMD. Oculus should not be immune to criticism just because it's working around its own poor design decisions.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The function is its longer and thinner than every other USB C cable, without using a big active repeater

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

pun pundit posted:

It's "just" a cable though. From the end user perspective what's inside doesn't matter. Price and function does. Needing such an expensive cable is a consequence of the design decisions of the HMD. Oculus should not be immune to criticism just because it's working around its own poor design decisions.

An SSD is "just" a drive. Until someone actually uses a computer that runs off an SSD and then goes back to an HDD-driven computer, they tend to balk at paying so much more for so much less space. I don't know if the Oculus Link cable is worth the money, and it certainly isn't to me because I don't have a USB-C port on my computer, but I can see that cable being good value for someone's specific use case if they're willing to pay a premium and if that cable can actually do it all reliably without just dying the first time someone stomps it. Whether the fancy rear end Oculus optical cable is worth that premium is up in the air, but it is at least much fancier tech than the Anker cable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Quest is massively cost reduced, foregoing the extra hardware required for hdmi/dp video input to the screen was an intentional decision in other to hit the price tag they did. Good design isn't about packing in features or perfection, but doing the best with the resources you have.

The work going into doing VR-capable video over low(ish) bandwidth is likely to pay dividends down the track for wireless too.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not "just" a USB cable, it's a fibre-optic cable.

That is true...however you can get a 5m long fiber cable for :10bux: (without usb terminations, of course).

I guess the idea is that this cable is lighter than a normal usb one while also being robust enough to sustain damage from being twisted or stepped on. I have a usb 3.1 Amazon essentials cable and it's:
A) 3m instead of 5;
B) Heavy;
C) Not flexible.
Which means I haven't used Link that much for the time being. I'll wait and see what the general consensus on this cable is, but if it's comfy and durable, it may be the only item for the job currently on the market. So yeah, gently caress monopolies, but it's not surprising if the price is so high.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MFW the VR thread finally goes full audiophile

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Tested just tested Half Life: Alyx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T54aGkkXfuc

Edit: They test a lot of different headsets and talk about them. Here is my summary:

Index
-Headset: Excellent
-Controllers: Excellent

Rift S
-Headset: Great
-Controllers: Good-Great

Quest
-Headset: Good-Great (Really benefits from DAS mod)

OG Vive
-Headset: Good-Great (Lower resolution but still perfectly sericeable for the game, recommend DAS)
-Controllers: Meh-Average (Shape of controllers gets in the way when reloading and stuff, suggest Knuckles upgrade for HLA)

Vive Cosmos
-Headset: Good-Great
-Headset: Meh (Tracking issues close to face or out of cameras FOV)

OG Rift (Played sitting)

WMR (The New Samsung One)
-Controllers: Meh-Average (tracking close to face problems, tracking rings get in the way, less hand presence)

Pimax 5K (Used Knuckles)
-Headset: Average-Good
-Controllers: Same as above
-Controllers:

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 19, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hey someone a while back posted some cool looking hand wraps for the Oculus controllers to replace the strap so you could let go of the controller and still have them on your hand. Does anyone know what they were called?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I bought these on thread recommendation and they work out p good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X117LPR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
+1 for the AMVR straps. Keeps the battery cover on better too.

Only downside is that you have to take them off to swap out battery but it is just one piece of velcro to undo.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I wish HL:A came out before BONEWORKS cos its kinda hard to care about it after playing that :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wow, watching the VR mirror display for extended time makes me actually physically ill.

Or it's that flailing of my nephew in Boneworks, which actually makes me angry. Because in the tutorial he's spazzing around getting mad because he can't figure out how things work, yet keeps ignoring the text panels on the walls, despite me going on like a broken record about reading these. He has a Vive for more than a year, yet how is he do bad at it?!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish HL:A came out before BONEWORKS cos its kinda hard to care about it after playing that :(

There should be room in your heart for many videogames.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wow, watching the VR mirror display for extended time makes me actually physically ill.

Or it's that flailing of my nephew in Boneworks, which actually makes me angry. Because in the tutorial he's spazzing around getting mad because he can't figure out how things work, yet keeps ignoring the text panels on the walls, despite me going on like a broken record about reading these. He has a Vive for more than a year, yet how is he do bad at it?!

I think that's just how most people play video games lol. When I first started BONEWORKS I passed it over to my friend who did that exact stuff. "How do I do x?" I don't know you're the one playing and in the tutorial room, maybe read the things??

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sure this has been talked about to death but how is streaming from PC to Quest generally? The research I've done seems to indicate if you have the connection for it it's pretty doable. I'm really not sure how to justify an $80 cord if I can just stream instead and be completely wireless.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Sure this has been talked about to death but how is streaming from PC to Quest generally? The research I've done seems to indicate if you have the connection for it it's pretty doable. I'm really not sure how to justify an $80 cord if I can just stream instead and be completely wireless.

Technically it's also streaming if you do it using the cable :P

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

If you already have a quest, there's no reason not to try it out. But it's not good. The image can be ok, but the controllers have so much latency nothing will feel good and it's all completely frustrating. Link feels like it's a native PCVR headset, streaming feels completely jank the whole time.

It's really, really, really not good. Depending on what you're doing and what your tolerance for jank is it might be tolerable, but getting a cable is a much better solution right now overall. You can get cheaper cables that work fine for under $30.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Technically it's also streaming if you do it using the cable :P

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

If you already have a quest, there's no reason not to try it out. But it's not good. The image can be ok, but the controllers have so much latency nothing will feel good and it's all completely frustrating. Link feels like it's a native PCVR headset, streaming feels completely jank the whole time.

It's really, really, really not good. Depending on what you're doing and what your tolerance for jank is it might be tolerable, but getting a cable is a much better solution right now overall. You can get cheaper cables that work fine for under $30.

Thanks. The stuff I found made it sound kind of janky overall but it was from several months ago so I thought maybe those initial bumps had been handled. Guess I may be shelling out for the facebook cord.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

StabMasterArson posted:

I think that's just how most people play video games lol. When I first started BONEWORKS I passed it over to my friend who did that exact stuff. "How do I do x?" I don't know you're the one playing and in the tutorial room, maybe read the things??
What made it more infuriating is that story graffitis on the walls get plenty of attention, but tutorial texts, noooooo. Same with the TVs. Button hit, video starts playing explaining the controller buttons, how about we start looking around and then start shaking the thing and focus on turning the knobs half a second in. Meanwhile I'm here :bang:

Also, the time spent on chasing and killing those BB8 thingies, and then the effort spent on bashing the heads in of those polygon NPCs. :stare:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

What made it more infuriating is that story graffitis on the walls get plenty of attention, but tutorial texts, noooooo. Same with the TVs. Button hit, video starts playing explaining the controller buttons, how about we start looking around and then start shaking the thing and focus on turning the knobs half a second in. Meanwhile I'm here :bang:

Also, the time spent on chasing and killing those BB8 thingies, and then the effort spent on bashing the heads in of those polygon NPCs. :stare:

Lmao this is 100% the experience of watching my friends play it yeah. Very happy stabbing / bludgeoning a dead man over and over but were audiably annoyed when it came to looking for things or exploring or solving puzzles

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
After playing 360' Right Round by ConnorJC I'm hooked on Beat Saber 360' mode. It's exactly what I wanted from spin mods when I first started messing around with them like almost a year ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StabMasterArson posted:

Lmao if you legit think Boneworks is better than Alyx will be

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

In the video, you can't climb ladders, only teleport up and down, and you don't holster your guns, you press a button and a floating UI appears

It's not looking good

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks. The stuff I found made it sound kind of janky overall but it was from several months ago so I thought maybe those initial bumps had been handled. Guess I may be shelling out for the facebook cord.

Virtual Desktop streaming is generally okay. I played Stormlands with it just fine for the most part. There are some design decisions that prevent it from being as good as it could be.

ALVR is trash software. But I guess it can sometimes work.

You don't need to pay $80 for the Facebook cable. You can buy a USB 3.0 cable and an active USB 3.0 extender and it works. My Quest is connected to my PC through 26 feet of cable currently and it works great. The huge downside is that the cables are thick and heavy, which some people just hate.

The Facebook cable is going to be very slim and not weigh much at all, which will be good since the Quest is front heavy already. Even at $80 it will be cheapest cable of its type that you can buy anywhere.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

It looks kinda boring man. And I don’t know how I feel about going back to weird floating hands again

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't know which will be the better game, but Boneworks definitely looks more innovative than HLA.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Lemming posted:

In the video, you can't climb ladders, only teleport up and down, and you don't holster your guns, you press a button and a floating UI appears

It's not looking good

After that end sequence of Boneworks I don't think I ever want to climb a ladder in VR again

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

punished milkman posted:

After that end sequence of Boneworks I don't think I ever want to climb a ladder in VR again

Man I was sweating bullets worried I was going to fall down during that part, I thought it was super excellent.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
I fell twice

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats a recommended mic for the Quest? Been trying to google suggestions but all I'm getting is people trouble shooting the built in mic. Was looking for a clip on mic, hoping my blue yeti picks me up from across the room is not working out.

punished milkman posted:

In VR chat I found a room that has you climb the infamous ladder in MGS3, and you had to reach the end before the music end or you would get smacked down by a mission failed paddle. That was surprisingly exhausting, then again I'm a goony goon who goons the goon and is extremely out of shape.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Leal posted:

Whats a recommended mic for the Quest? Been trying to google suggestions but all I'm getting is people trouble shooting the built in mic. Was looking for a clip on mic, hoping my blue yeti picks me up from across the room is not working out.

In VR chat I found a room that has you climb the infamous ladder in MGS3, and you had to reach the end before the music end or you would get smacked down by a mission failed paddle. That was surprisingly exhausting, then again I'm a goony goon who goons the goon and is extremely out of shape.

Antlion ModMic is one I keep seeing pop up on recommendations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I think it worked so well for me because I thought about falling and didn't want to. Since I didn't, excellent! If I fell twice I would be soured on it just because of the time and effort to do it 3 times.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've been trying out Virtual Desktop and it connects easily, video is a bit stuttery though I haven't messed with settings much yet, but I have a really hard time getting the controllers to work in any game I try.

Using the 10ft cable I got for Link looks and controls great without issue, but disconnects randomly.I sadly can't do anything more than a few minutes before everything freezes. I think it may be my very old motherboard usb 3 ports, though. I got the 32ft usb 3 extension on amazon but it seems to disconnect worse with it so I'm going to return it I think and pick up a shorter less expensive one.

I can't win with either solution at the moment since it's all very finicky.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

punished milkman posted:

I didn't like the boneworks climbing but climbing can be super fun, TBH I think it just needs to be 1:1 then it's great. Like in Stormlands, climbing huge structures feels awesome

Even Vader Immortal's climbing was pretty fun, how is Vader Immortal doing ladders better than HL:A, although I guess they want to live up to their legacy of lovely ladders

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I bought the quest cable cause I hate money and death is certain, I'll post impressions when it gets here!

I suppose I should install the Oculus software now

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

my only problems with the Link right now is the Anker cable I'm using is too short and sticks out of the headset at a weird angle. So yeah I'm probably ordering this thing.

the other problem is that I guess my 1070 is no longer good enough to play the new games? it cannot hang with Stormland. what a bummer.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
The steam winter sale has started.

I'd suggest the Croteam Bundle

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5145/CROTEAM_VR_Bundle/

92% off $15.95 for 5 of the best VR games.

Serios Sam VR: The Last Hope
The Talos Principle VR
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE

Also the individual titles are extremely cheap. Talos for $5.99, or Last Hope for $5.99 or SS3 for $5.99 are great deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Quote is not edit.