Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Qubee posted:

I'm having a really hard time meeting people I connect with during board game meetups. The politest way of putting it is board games seem to attract eccentric types of people. I've found most meetups very awkward, because some people don't seem to pick up on social cues, or are very bullish and unaware of the fact they're making the playing experience unpleasant. I'm not a confrontational person so I'm slowly dipping out of these meetups because I can't deal with it. How the hell do you find a group of five people to do personal board game nights with? That's like my dream. Do I have to convert my non-board game playing friends? My girlfriend got a board game thing going at work, so she stays behind once a week to play with coworkers. She's asked me to tag along but I think it's better if she has this space away from me to connect with other people and socialize with colleagues. She is planning on a outside of work game at one point, and wants me to tag along for that definitely. I'm unemployed and have been since moving to this new place, so meeting people has been real difficult. But every board game meet I've gone to has just been weird cause I feel like a black sheep.

You should absolutely go to your gf's out of work thing. I don't know her but presumably she's done some selecting for people she likes to hang around w/, so there's every reason to believe they're decent people. Also, she invited you, so we can deduce that she wants you to be there, as opposed to sitting at home feeling depressed.
Also, don't try to convert your non boardgaming friends. Not caring about boardgames is an insanely reasonable position, how can you attempt to dissuade someone from that.
e: i took the bait, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

That's part of why we didn't like it, and why it stopped appearing at game nights after the first couple of times it was played. There's so much capacity to come back from behind that no turn seems to matter except the last one.

It's a feature of Inis that I like because the game is relatively short which is what makes the comebacks possible. Very very rarely will a last turn hail mary actually get you anywhere, you need to work it back over a series of turns.

Though with pretty much all DOAM games kingmaking is a thing, if a player decides to stop trying to win they always going to create space for someone else in any DOAM game. You all need to be playing for position.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

You should absolutely go to your gf's out of work thing. I don't know her but presumably she's done some selecting for people she likes to hang around w/, so there's every reason to believe they're decent people. Also, she invited you, so we can deduce that she wants you to be there, as opposed to sitting at home feeling depressed.
Also, don't try to convert your non boardgaming friends. Not caring about boardgames is an insanely reasonable position, how can you attempt to dissuade someone from that.
e: i took the bait, apparently.

I'm not sure what the bait was, maybe they thought my post was just to be inflammatory. I'm in that niche where I'm not into super heavy games and prefer casual stuff, but a lot of meetups have these dense, long-running games that require you to commit for most of the evening. At uni, the board game society had a wider spread of people, you'd have students who'd never really played before who rocked up to see what it was about, so there were way more casual games present. It's how I got into board games. And of course the society was actively trying to entice new people, so there was definitely an effort with casual games. I feel like the meetups are more for enthusiasts who are into much heavier stuff because they've played the casual games to hell and back. I'm not gonna comment on personality types present, it's a bit of a dick move. But there has been a few traumatic experiences that just totally turn you off of wanting to try again.

I appreciate your advice and I'm going to follow it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I find if you're not looking for super deep games, board game nights for groups and organizations that aren't 100% about board gaming are your best bet. When I went to a lot more boardgame meetups, there were two I tended to drop in on - one was a group completely dedicated to boardgaming, and one was a tech meetup group that did both tech events and did a boardgame night every month too. The tech one was way more focused on social, light games and getting to know people, where the dedicated group was better if you were looking to get super deep into a game, but weren't really planning on any super engaging conversation.

Obviously don't be a weird goon and seek out groups that you don't share the "non-boardgaming" interests of, but if there's a match based on other things you're interested in, or your profession or something that could be a good way to find something.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Qubee posted:

I'm not sure what the bait was, maybe they thought my post was just to be inflammatory. I'm in that niche where I'm not into super heavy games and prefer casual stuff, but a lot of meetups have these dense, long-running games that require you to commit for most of the evening.

For what it's worth, don't paint all groups with such a broad brush. I spent two or three years playing with a group I absolutely adored (out near Manassas, VA) because they were just as happy to play Tumblin' Dice as Kingdom Death, Dark Moon followed by 1775: Rebellion...you know, that sort of spread. I got a lot of variety and played more different games in that short time than I did when I literally ran a board game shop. That's where I fell in love with Welcome to the Dungeon, which I now keep handy at near all times to give anyone who is willing a taste of what games have turned into.

They're the ones who taught me (through action) that board games are just another social lubricant, like alcohol or sports. Something to fall back on when the jokes run thin. A communal experience and common point of reference so you know everyone participating is generally at least reading the same book, if not exactly on the same page. Sure, some people want to crush their opponents, and react poorly to non-optimal play because they want their opponents to crush them back, and some people just wanna play the first thought that comes into their head and see what happens. There's room for all of that in the hobby, and that's fine. But the semi-casual funtimes players are out there, and sometimes you gotta go looking for them.

Ever since I moved away from that wonderful group, I've been periodically trying local groups in my new city, and getting just as frustrated, because the regulars at the groups here (that I've been to) are the people who want to take the time to play Twilight Imperium more than once a year, and think that making a trade that benefits your opponent even a little in Settlers is an admission of weakness. I spend a little more time at the friendliest game store I could find now, and recruit people who might be interested in the occasional game of Flash Point or Space Alert. I've had a pretty positive response so far, and we've had as much fun playing Spyfall as we did Rising Sun, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic. It takes time and effort but it's possible to build the kind of group I just sort of stumbled into back then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Qubee posted:

I'm not sure what the bait was, maybe they thought my post was just to be inflammatory.

After your series of posts in the Sex Questions thread, yes I do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Qubee posted:

I'm not sure what the bait was, maybe they thought my post was just to be inflammatory. I'm in that niche where I'm not into super heavy games and prefer casual stuff, but a lot of meetups have these dense, long-running games that require you to commit for most of the evening.

Huh, that's the exact opposite of my experience with meetups. Whenever I go to one there's usually just tons of Settlers / TtR / light social deductions so I find they aren't that useful unless I know more about the group (and if they might be playing stuff that appeals to me more).

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I played Inis once. About a few turns in and then after the game, I was wondering why we didn't just play El Grande.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

medchem posted:

I played Inis once. About a few turns in and then after the game, I was wondering why we didn't just play El Grande.

It's prettier and I get to be a badass brenn :c00lbutt:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rchandra posted:

Huh, that's the exact opposite of my experience with meetups. Whenever I go to one there's usually just tons of Settlers / TtR / light social deductions so I find they aren't that useful unless I know more about the group (and if they might be playing stuff that appeals to me more).

Yeah I basically never see people playing anything dense or complex at the meetups I've been to. Granted that's primarily bar meets but it's been very difficult finding people who want to play games more complex than Clank

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rchandra posted:

Same here. My group is known as the heavy games people cuz we're in there playing 18xx or FCM while everyone else is mostly playing light stuff or midweight euros. There's a couple meetups that meet on the weekends for the long games and those are filled with the grognards people think of when they think "board games meetup people" who don't have their own private group to play with.

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
After looking for a DOAM game from the thread, it turned out at a recent meet-up that one of my friends had a Kickstarter game of that nature she'd been holding back and wanted to try. So ended up in a Rising Sun session, which was actually pretty good! There was initial reticence to actually do anything, the last season went full cluster with everyone initially having secretly planned to wipe the Bonsai player from the map when he picked the wrong moment to go the toilet (he had the points for holdings bonus so we knew he had plenty of VP banked), but then a bunch of weird movements tipped me off to plans on the territory I had been allotted to look after. Using crazy Koi cash to fully take control of that battle and just decimate them felt really good, and made me super regret not being a bit more aggro before that. Turtle player won handily, but everyone is very eager to try again next time, and I have a feeling it's gonna be pedal to the metal from word go. :black101: Surprising purchase given this is the same person who regularly buys stuff like Kittens in a Blender/Exploding Unicorns etc etc. I guess the pretty weeaboo aesthetic is too strong.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ugh I was at a party where we were all sorta doing our own thing and I heard a group had started a 'quick game' of Exploding Unicorns.

Took them well over an hour.

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Ours only took maybe 15 minutes? Mercifully short. But that's because we burned Neighs for fun and it ended pretty much at random (so, as expected). She also apparently has an unopened copy of Caverna sitting somewhere so I guess there really is no accounting for taste.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's jsut one of those awful games like FLuxx that attract a certain kind of loving bore that doesn't want to actually end the game because 'tee hee isn't it fun and random'. Fluxx is a perfectly serviceable game until you play with people that discard winning cards so they can add more rules 'because that's more fun'

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The last time I got roped into playing Fluxx I did so begrudgingly then won instantly on my first turn like 5 minutes in so that was the best game of Fluxx I've ever played.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am trying to post this everywhere I can but it seems I, among many others probably, got hosed over by Steamforged Games. They had that Dark Souls Kickstarter years ago. I finally got something this week... the expansion wave. I still do not own the base game and now they want to charge me 30 pound more to get it shipped since I am apparently outside the window. Fuckers.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Vintersorg posted:

I am trying to post this everywhere I can but it seems I, among many others probably, got hosed over by Steamforged Games. They had that Dark Souls Kickstarter years ago. I finally got something this week... the expansion wave. I still do not own the base game and now they want to charge me 30 pound more to get it shipped since I am apparently outside the window. Fuckers.

I didn't know anyone was screwed on this, sorry to hear it. Have you been contacting them the entire time? What did they say or what was their excuse for not shipping you your game/pledge?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Fluxx is a perfectly serviceable game

Counterpoint: no, it's not, because it can go on forever even when people are trying to win.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Steamforged really sucks at Kickstarter, I'm sorry you're one of the people they've screwed over.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
In Steamforged's defense, they had no way of knowing that shipping boardgames costs money.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Any recommendations for board-game-ported Apple mobile games? I've got 7 Wonders, Galaxy Trucker, and Plague Inc.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Through the Ages

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FulsomFrank posted:

I didn't know anyone was screwed on this, sorry to hear it. Have you been contacting them the entire time? What did they say or what was their excuse for not shipping you your game/pledge?

The bunches of us were just waiting for anything to come out - they had tons of updates over the years and that things were coming out but no real confirmations. I checked all my e-mails for stuff too. I e-mailed them back and then they said "sorry we're closed till after new years". So it's whatever just kinda lame to be still in the dark.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Le Harve, Patchwork, Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, Shards of Infinity, Tigris & Euphrates, and Yellow & Yangtze are what I have on my iPhone right now. Highly recommend any of them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

Any recommendations for board-game-ported Apple mobile games? I've got 7 Wonders, Galaxy Trucker, and Plague Inc.

terraforming mars is out and is good for single player, but last I checked the multiplayer was unreliable.

agricola and agricola ACBAS
le havre and le havre inland port
waterdeep
splendor
santorini
race for the galaxy
terra mystica
burgle bros
jaipur
baseball highlights 2045
brass
neuroshima hex
pandemic

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Through the Ages is probably the best mobile board game out there. The game's structure makes it really good async.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gotta throw my vote at Race for the Galaxy. TTA is great for shrinking a 3+ hour game down to 20 minutes and the best big game, but most of the time I want to bang out a game in <5 minutes and Race is perfect for that.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks folks! Especially you catchup.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I need (desire) to buy a game from the local place for games tomorrow and I've narrowed it down to

Inis
Great Western Trail
Viticulture

but I can't decide, help.

Concordia is another option but someone I know vaguely has a copy which factors against it.

Also what's Everdell like?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Inis is the best of the lot prob

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

xiw posted:

Depends on what's more important for you, theme (it's freaking pretty!!!) or mechanics (it's an ok-but-not-great worker placement).
My group bought it because the cutesy animal theme was appealing to many of us and we had a good time with it, but it's far from a must-buy.
We played without the expansions, no idea if those help.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

xiw posted:

I need (desire) to buy a game from the local place for games tomorrow and I've narrowed it down to

Inis
Great Western Trail
Viticulture

Concordia is another option but someone I know vaguely has a copy which factors against it.

Depends on your group and personalities.

Inis is tons of fun and really pretty but kinda confusing and needs a bunch of plays to really figure it out. Plays fine at two.
Concordia is a classic and just a great game. Plays fine at two.
Great Western Trail is really something else and pretty neat and I've heard the expansion really flushes everything out. Played fine at two for me.
Viticulture is the weakest of the bunch but I still like it. Requires Tuscany to make it tolerable, as far as I'm concerned. Cute game. Plays fine at two.

I have not played Everdell but what I've heard is that it's a very pretty game but the game itself is not good/unremarkable.

If I had to take one out of them it'd be a toss-up between Concordia and Inis, but since you already have a friend with Concordia I would go Inis. Just do your research on it and look it up carefully to make sure it's for you because it might not be.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also the Roll for the Galaxy app is in development and should be good, except that you don't get to slam a cup full of dice on the table.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Myself and friends play quite a few games on BGA, obviously not single player and not an app but a lot of games work well on mobile.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Is Railroad Revolution any good? A local store is selling it for $20.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

xiw posted:

Inis
Great Western Trail
Viticulture

There’s nothing quite like Great Western Trail, so that’s my vote. It’s good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kiranamos posted:

Gotta agree with that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Kiranamos posted:

I dunno. Maracaibo is *quite* like Great Western Trail, albeit different. ;-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

terraforming mars is out and is good for single player, but last I checked the multiplayer was unreliable.

Counterpoint: I finally bought Terraforming Mars when it went on deep discount. By my third game, I beat 3 AI opponents on the hardest difficulty and have never lost since.

Even with the fastest animation settings, the game goes on far too long. Also, there is no undo functionality.

It's a bad game.