Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

psyman posted:

Titanfall 1 was innovative and cinematic in terms of giving players a sense of being part of a believable war in the future. There is no current or former equivalent to it in the genre, as much of a rough draft as it was, especially not online. I think most of you are just happy with the same old year-in, year-out kind of sequels. If TF3 came out with the same online MP as 2 but a few new maps and titans you would all be praising it, without demanding any better.

Yeah I guess I'm just too dumb to appreciate the grand cinematic masterpiece that was Titanfall 1. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Believable war in the future" yeah I'm sure in a world of mind-machine interfaces and cloning and neural transfer and FTL jump travel they're gonna send in guys with double jumppacks who endlessly respawn to kill each other in a square area of less than 1km. Those aforementioned guys immediately respawn upon death after seeing a camera replay of how they were killed and whose main ability is to call in tactically stupid big robots that are super-vulnerable to *check notes* a guy jumping on their head like Mario and shooting their robo brains until they die.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

psyman posted:

I’m not trolling i’m serious about all of my statements! I just care about the genre of military science-fiction which we have been starved of for years in games and film.

Titanfall 1 was innovative and cinematic in terms of giving players a sense of being part of a believable war in the future. There is no current or former equivalent to it in the genre, as much of a rough draft as it was, especially not online. I think most of you are just happy with the same old year-in, year-out kind of sequels. If TF3 came out with the same online MP as 2 but a few new maps and titans you would all be praising it, without demanding any better.

Like I know you're being earnest here but very few people itt want a cinematic military shooter vs what's on offer in Tf2's more high-speed arcade romp. There's a disconnect here. What you may want: a more grounded, procedural, boots on the ground experience...may actually be the more popular option given the success of Call of Duty and Battlefield.

BUT

Most people itt, including myself, want to go 100 miles an hour while ripping and tearing.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I would like to place my hate in both the bf2147 AND insane speed never stop moving shooty robooty circle

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rad Valtar posted:

It's probably the greatest shooter ever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hey we could totally coordinate games via that ps message group we have going!

Oh right you all passive aggressively left it 🙄

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

psyman posted:

I’m not trolling i’m serious about all of my statements! I just care about the genre of military science-fiction which we have been starved of for years in games and film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:drat:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

It's probably my favorite shooter ever.

Tf2 and Siege, the two best imo, each in their own - very different - way.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Enjoying the gently caress out of this and still happy to be able to get PC matches for a three or four hour window at night (wish you could get more game modes but given a stable population is a pipedream that's a bit much to expect). Only real criticism of the game itself is that I wish the weapons were better balanced. SMGs, particularly the CAR, are so much better than everything else.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neurosis posted:

Enjoying the gently caress out of this and still happy to be able to get PC matches for a three or four hour window at night (wish you could get more game modes but given a stable population is a pipedream that's a bit much to expect). Only real criticism of the game itself is that I wish the weapons were better balanced. SMGs, particularly the CAR, are so much better than everything else.

A lot of weapons are highly build-specific imo

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I used to play on xbox but re-downloaded it now that it's free on PS+ and oh man is it still great. Plus with all the new players the player populations are like a relaunch - 27000 on a Friday night, and if my match was any indication most of them are not very good. I just hope they stick around.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Either Respawn finally fixed that exploit that hacker was using to disconnect everyone from the lobby or he wasn’t running them last night or something, so I finally got to play Tf1 again for the first time in like 5 years. :neckbeard:

(on PC)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 14, 2019

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A lot of weapons are highly build-specific imo

A lot of those other than the CAR, alternator, R97 and to a lesser extent the volt, which are goddamned laser beams even when hip firing and wall running. I'm not sure how you balance these things. Obviously Respawn weren't either. Tbh the grapple also seems a little ridiculous. They should've just given everyone a grapple as an extra button then put the rest of the options for that slot on a different button - it's just too useful and changes the game so much. When I'm using it the game feels a little like Tribes to me.

I'm replaying the campaign... That long sequence in the fabrication facility with Ash must be the consensus worst part of the game, right? It's not bad and I love the campaign overall, don't get me wrong, but the whole thing feels a bit repetitive, and the lack of anything scripted or interesting happening is uncharacteristic of the rest of the game.

Edit: Conversely, I could play a whole game with the easy time-shifting level (which would take a fuckload of work on the dev team but man is it fun shifting between the two periods so easily and hearing IMC freak out).

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 15, 2019

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Scorch remains number one https://xboxclips.com/FastestGunAlive/ab86c749-8a09-48ff-b059-8c3e5f16a9c9

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neurosis posted:

A lot of those other than the CAR, alternator, R97 and to a lesser extent the volt, which are goddamned laser beams even when hip firing and wall running. I'm not sure how you balance these things. Obviously Respawn weren't either. Tbh the grapple also seems a little ridiculous. They should've just given everyone a grapple as an extra button then put the rest of the options for that slot on a different button - it's just too useful and changes the game so much. When I'm using it the game feels a little like Tribes to me.

I'm replaying the campaign... That long sequence in the fabrication facility with Ash must be the consensus worst part of the game, right? It's not bad and I love the campaign overall, don't get me wrong, but the whole thing feels a bit repetitive, and the lack of anything scripted or interesting happening is uncharacteristic of the rest of the game.

Edit: Conversely, I could play a whole game with the easy time-shifting level (which would take a fuckload of work on the dev team but man is it fun shifting between the two periods so easily and hearing IMC freak out).

On the contrary, the factory level and the airship level are absolutely my favorite parts. The factory level felt like a huge homage to HL2 and ep 1.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
The best part of the SP campaign starts at the beginning and goes all the way to the end.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:hmmyes:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lumpy posted:

The best part of the SP campaign starts at the beginning and goes all the way to the end.

they’re good levels, bront

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress it I’m just gonna bust through the campaign before I jump back into MP

BT <3

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Titanfall 2 is good game.

https://i.imgur.com/e0GFKEH.gifv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MEGAKILL.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you vote me for president I'll make it a law that every fps game adopts the Unreal Tournament announcer and enables acrobatic wall running

Thanks and God bless

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I noticed the Prime titan packs are included in the Christmas sale so I picked those up in the multipack for £6 or so. Gonna strut about in my big stylin' stompy robbits later...

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally saw another goon playing on Xbox on our network but they didn’t acknowledge my game invites :negative:

What do you all think is the most satisfying way to get a kill in multiplayer and why is it quick dropping your Titan on an enemy?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The most satisfying is quick titan drop - but when an opponent kills their own teammates titan with it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't know if it's the most satisfying, but I once killed myself with my own archer. I was harassing a titan in a team fight from the top of a building on Black Water Canal, locked on with the archer, fired, and died. I thought one of the titans had found sightline on me but the death cam showed the rocket leaving the launcher, whipping backwards around the building and arcing into my butt. Weirdest death I've ever had and never saw it repeated.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Pounded in the butt by my own archer

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
I had so many great deaths in this game (way too many, to be fair). The best was being sniped while trying to throw a firestar. I've dropped it, and it killed a third guy who was just about to execute me.

By the way, anybody on PC experience heavy lag? I'm in Europe, and the last two days were just a mess of rubberbanding and half-second pauses. Maybe the servers are overloaded due to the PS players?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Decided to finally give this game a try and convinced a few friends to also shell out the 5$ for it.

Any advice for new players on where to start in multiplayer, what to do while we're learning the maps and which modes still have players in them or how the unlock system works?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Play Frontier Defense and try to play the whole match without your feet ever touching the ground.

Also learn how to B-Hop and Grapple Slingshot, absolutely critical.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Also play single player.

It wont make you better at multi but its fantastic

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Also play single player.

It wont make you better at multi but its fantastic

Both of these are 100 loving percent true

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
With Jedi on Steam, surely there has to be some kind of hope for TF2 rerelease/sales/free weekends too?

In my dreams I still run on the walls, along my commuting route to work.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Just dropping into this thread to say that I can't believe, in this day and age,I've been playing the same online FPS for the last 4 years - it doesn't even have dedicated servers!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What's the playercount currently at on PS4?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
28k right now at 9 am cst, in the evenings it’s like 40-60k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

28k right now at 9 am cst, in the evenings it’s like 40-60k

God that's awesome. I hope that continues past the first month.