Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vito's tip was half hosed tho, and he didn't have a guy left out in the rain waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I've done write-ups for the majority of the episodes of the show in The Wire thread, and for most of the revival of Doctor Who (early episodes are extremely brief), but forums posting and writing an actual guide for publishing are two very different things, and the write-ups would probably end up 2-3 times as long and I kinda suspect I would turn into one of those crazy screed people in a couple of years :ohdear:

Are those Doctor Who write-ups still available somewhere in archives? I'd enjoy reading them to kill time at work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BrotherJayne posted:

Jerus, you loving rock.

Is there a list somewhere of the shows you've done episodes for?

You could click the "?" under his avatar to see his posts in this thread. Probably over half are write ups.

An episode late but that shot of Junior when he curses in Italian and shoots Tony creeped me right out. I don't know if it was the lighting, his facial expression or what but he looked almost demonic. I don't think it was the surprise element either because it still gets me on a re-watch.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yeah, but he has soooo much content, and I am soooooooo lazy

Mostly I just wanted to know if he had done any for The Expanse

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

You could click the "?" under his avatar to see his posts in this thread. Probably over half are write ups.

An episode late but that shot of Junior when he curses in Italian and shoots Tony creeped me right out. I don't know if it was the lighting, his facial expression or what but he looked almost demonic. I don't think it was the surprise element either because it still gets me on a re-watch.

There's something about seeing someone have their personality completely twisted up by dementia like that, it's just very disturbing. Of course I've never been physically attacked by someone like that but I've seen people go from very nice and personable to that kind of sneering, intense hostility and yea it really throws you through a loop. I guess it emphasizes how little of ourselves is actually us, most of it is just brain chemistry.

Junior was never a "nice" person but he's never been like that. That was a different Junior.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

There's something about seeing someone have their personality completely twisted up by dementia like that, it's just very disturbing. Of course I've never been physically attacked by someone like that but I've seen people go from very nice and personable to that kind of sneering, intense hostility and yea it really throws you through a loop. I guess it emphasizes how little of ourselves is actually us, most of it is just brain chemistry.

Junior was never a "nice" person but he's never been like that. That was a different Junior.

Heh, you mean, he's never been like that to a protagonist. Cuddly old man he might seem, but I'm pretty sure he had bodies to him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My spouse gets really upset about Junior's decline because he was just so sharp and quick-witted when you go back and watch the earlier seasons, especially the first.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

Heh, you mean, he's never been like that to a protagonist. Cuddly old man he might seem, but I'm pretty sure he had bodies to him

Oh, sure. Remember how the bodies hit the floor when Junior was acting boss. We don't know if he actually had Malanga killed but there was Brendan (he was still capo then), the drug dealer and even the guy who set the hit on Tony.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm pretty sure he had Malanga killed another way shortly after the Visuvio's plan went up in flames, Tony even mentions "Pussy Malanga's dead, six years now! I should dig him up!" which would fit in with the timeline of the first season.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Tony never had any problem with Junior's decision to kill Malanga, he just didn't want him to do it at the restaurant right?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Junior killed six dudes.Now print this post out and chew it up and let's never talk about this again.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fragmented posted:

Junior killed six dudes.Now print this post out and chew it up and let's never talk about this again.

Well uh, Junior ordered the murder of six people as an old man but he probably personally has murdered way more then that back in the Mafia golden days...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The guy who played young junior in flashbacks was cast perfectly

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The guy who played young junior in flashbacks was cast perfectly

Joey Pepitone trew tree RBIs!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My spouse gets really upset about Junior's decline because he was just so sharp and quick-witted when you go back and watch the earlier seasons, especially the first.

They really nailed the gradual decline where you can excuse or misinterpret certain things he does or says, and then the sudden drop off a cliff when everything hits critical mass. Something I still find really remarkable is how short-sighted and easily manipulated he was in season 1, and how his House Arrest actually was kind of a godsend not just in saving him from Tony's revenge, but it MADE him have to start being flexible and agile in his thinking, and he developed a more strategic mindset as a result. Which makes his actual cognitive decline all the more upsetting, because you see the potential he had but never quite realized all falling apart (to be fair, he's also an unrepentant murderer which should never be forgotten) and it is pretty depressing.

Basebf555 posted:

Are those Doctor Who write-ups still available somewhere in archives? I'd enjoy reading them to kill time at work.

All linked here but be warned, there's a shitload of them!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

They really nailed the gradual decline where you can excuse or misinterpret certain things he does or says, and then the sudden drop off a cliff when everything hits critical mass. Something I still find really remarkable is how short-sighted and easily manipulated he was in season 1, and how his House Arrest actually was kind of a godsend not just in saving him from Tony's revenge, but it MADE him have to start being flexible and agile in his thinking, and he developed a more strategic mindset as a result. Which makes his actual cognitive decline all the more upsetting, because you see the potential he had but never quite realized all falling apart (to be fair, he's also an unrepentant murderer which should never be forgotten) and it is pretty depressing.

I think Junior just had a Johnny Sack thing going on where when he wasn't in charge he could think critically and cleverly about all the angles but when he was in charge he would get too driven by emotion and pride. Johnny and Junior also spent years having to serve close to (yet never at) the top of the chain of command, and when they did finally get the leadership both went a little mad with power and stopped giving a poo poo about weighing the needs of others because they thought they didn't have to any more.

We don't get much of a look into Tony's past as a captain but I even got the same vibe from him. In all the flashbacks where he's a capo rather than the boss he seems calm and maybe even happy. And of course we all know what a maniac Phil is when he gets in charge.

Jackie Senior and Carmine seem like the only level headed bosses we encounter on the show who mostly put their feelings aside for the sake of business and don't seem weighed down by the authority they wield.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With Junior I feel like even as a Captain he was aggressive and prone to stupid moves (like hijacking one of Jackie's trucks like we see in that flashback) and while part of that was because he felt overlooked/that he should be Boss, once he got it and lost it he got some level of perspective. The crossroads moment for him is when Richie Aprile wants to move on Tony and initially Junior is for it, till he realizes that while Richie says all the right things and acts in all the right ways people simply don't buy him as a Boss, whereas they do Tony in spite or all his many issues, and finally grasps that his position is stronger siding with Tony and staying on his side largely unbroken until his dementia takes that all away.

Johnny Sack was always the sensible and even-headed guy until he got a whiff of being the Boss at which point he showed that he didn't have the right temperament. I always wonder what would have happened if the FBI hadn't taken him down, since by the end of season 5 you have that moment where he finally cracks and seems to be back on the same page as Tony again and more worried about the likes of Phil coming up from below than anything from the Jersey side. Would he have settled into a more level-headed Boss or was another clashing of the heads with Tony inevitable etc.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The little split second look directly into the camera from JT as he's taking in all these ridiculous "notes" from the mobsters is amazing. I love the poo poo out of that scene.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

banned from Starbucks posted:

The little split second look directly into the camera from JT as he's taking in all these ridiculous "notes" from the mobsters is amazing. I love the poo poo out of that scene.

I love how dramatically he announces his preferred title for the movie.

"It's currently called Pork Store Killer but I'm thinkin' just......Cleaver"

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Right? He shows up and just dunks xD

Drops the hottest thing about the whole drat project, to a room fulla stone cold prosciutto

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Johnny Sack was always the sensible and even-headed guy until he got a whiff of being the Boss at which point he showed that he didn't have the right temperament. I always wonder what would have happened if the FBI hadn't taken him down, since by the end of season 5 you have that moment where he finally cracks and seems to be back on the same page as Tony again and more worried about the likes of Phil coming up from below than anything from the Jersey side. Would he have settled into a more level-headed Boss or was another clashing of the heads with Tony inevitable etc.

If Johnny could have maintained the same qualities that made him an effective number two he could have been a good boss, but the problem is he had to eat poo poo and cow-tow to Carmine's whims for so many years that when he became boss he finally felt like he could do whatever he wanted and for him that power was intoxicating and he couldn't control it.

I'd like to think Johnny and Tony's longtime friendship would have resulted in an eventual stable relationship but I don't know. Johnny was such a maniac as boss. Tony had seemed to smooth that over by the end of season 5 like you said but I don't know if it would have lasted.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think the signs were there that Johnny would've settled into the Boss role and he and Tony probably would've been fine, but we never got the chance to find out.

Johnny seemed to have the ability to bring himself back from the brink of making hot-headed decisions. He did it with Ralph and it looked like he was doing it again with the Tony/Blundetto situation as well. I imagine with more time he would've become even better at not getting into those situations in the first place.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The funny thing is my eternal impression of Johnny Sack is him yelling at the top of his lungs about one thing or another

Dude had a great angry face

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The funny thing is my eternal impression of Johnny Sack is him yelling at the top of his lungs about one thing or another

Dude had a great angry face

Two hundred grand for insulting my wife? What's next, Carmine? YOU GET TO gently caress HER FOR A MILLION?

...He wants to gently caress her?

I'M MAKING A POINT!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What’s this, the fuckin UN now? gently caress THAT!!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Think about it though, how many characters in the show have we seen do what Johnny did with the Ralph situation? To look inward at yourself and examine the motivations for what you're doing, and then change course because you realize you're acting irrationally, that's not typical at all of the average Sopranos character and it shows why Carmine trusted him to be in such an important leadership position.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vichan posted:

Two hundred grand for insulting my wife? What's next, Carmine? YOU GET TO gently caress HER FOR A MILLION?

...He wants to gently caress her?

I'M MAKING A POINT!

The worst part about this being only my second watch and 3 years removed from my first, not many of the lines are sticking with me. I can see me watching it again next year maybe. I need to setup a beater laptop at work for just putting shows on

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

Think about it though, how many characters in the show have we seen do what Johnny did with the Ralph situation? To look inward at yourself and examine the motivations for what you're doing, and then change course because you realize you're acting irrationally, that's not typical at all of the average Sopranos character and it shows why Carmine trusted him to be in such an important leadership position.

That's a good question TBH.

You could argue Chris, except the rehab thing was forced on him. But, yeah, you're right and I think it's one of the central themes of the entire show; how true change is incredibly difficult if not impossible and how most people skate along the edges of it but never really succeed. Chris being another good example actually.

Which character actually undergoes any sort of genuine change for the better or a change of their own free will?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I liked the scene where Carmine/Johnny lowball Tony over the phone and Tony basically tells them to gently caress off and they hang up and Carmine says to Johnny: "About what we expected" and they both nod.

They were definitely on the same level (or better) as Tony/Sil when it came to working well together.

It's interesting how Tony reacts to John's attempted coup vs Carmine. When Johnny is attempting a coup against Carmine Tony mentions how Carmine "never made that (the Ralph situation) right with John". But how could he have? Authorizing Ralph's death would have caused a huge problem with New Jersey. Tony would have had to stand up to it or risk losing the respect of his captains. That could have led to a war between NY/New Jersey which neither side would want. So I dunno what Tony expected Carmine to do to soothe Johnny's injured feelings. Killing Ralph would have not only cost them money but possibly forced Tony to respond in kind.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Which character actually undergoes any sort of genuine change for the better or a change of their own free will?

Other then Melfi in the last episode...I can't think of any.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

That’s a bar I don’t think anyone in the show can clear, there’s just degrees of badness and complicity. Is there anyone in the entire show who even qualifies as good or principled or unhypocritical, with the exception of the therapist who calls Carmela on her bullshit?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Melfi's therapist?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
And I wasn't even talking about real, lasting change. I'm just talking about a moment of self-reflection where a character sees the error of what they're doing and steps back from the brink of making a huge mistake. Stuff like that is rare in the Sopranos, most of the time when a character gets it in their head to do something bad, it's gonna happen one way or another.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
extremely arguably, janice with the anger management classes. She chose to engage with the class and to work on it. It was short-lived, obviously, but the willingness to behave differently was there.
e: oh wait that wasnt really the same thing, it's not pulling back from making a mistake. Never mind.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would suggest Artie. By the end of the show he's reunited with Charmaine and they're doing well, he's rediscovered his passion for cooking and the restaurant is doing better, and it seems like he's mostly staying away from Tony other than the scene where the two of them sort of gloat about how well they're doing to the Sopranos.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Melfi's therapist?

Ah, I guess. Carmela’s is more impactful because he basically has one scene, and he uses it to tell her she’s a piece of poo poo who profits from human misery. Melfi’s seems pretty good, but he takes a real long time to get results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I would suggest Artie. By the end of the show he's reunited with Charmaine and they're doing well, he's rediscovered his passion for cooking and the restaurant is doing better, and it seems like he's mostly staying away from Tony other than the scene where the two of them sort of gloat about how well they're doing to the Sopranos.

I see Artie as more of a guy who bumbles head-on into every possible bad decision, ends up hitting rock bottom, then digs himself out and changes his life. He has to learn from every mistake after the fact, he can't see himself in the moment.

So yea he falls into the "capable of change" category, which is still rare for The Sopranos.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Ah, I guess. Carmela’s is more impactful because he basically has one scene, and he uses it to tell her she’s a piece of poo poo who profits from human misery. Melfi’s seems pretty good, but he takes a real long time to get results

I mean, that's how therapy works.

awesmoe posted:

extremely arguably, janice with the anger management classes. She chose to engage with the class and to work on it. It was short-lived, obviously, but the willingness to behave differently was there.
e: oh wait that wasnt really the same thing, it's not pulling back from making a mistake. Never mind.

She tries until it gets difficult, I don't think she really tries again after Tony sets her off

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, and this is because we just watched the finale the other day, but Hunter Scangarelo, Meadow's friend from high school that we last saw in season three. Carmela comes into the bedroom and cheerfully eviscerates her. "Miss Hunter, hi! When's the last time we saw you? Oh, it was right after you dropped out of college!" And then Hunter replies with, "You're being too kind Mrs. Soprano, I was kicked out for partying and drunk driving. But I got my act together and just finished my second year of med school" and Carmela can't think of a single thing to say and just leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

And I wasn't even talking about real, lasting change. I'm just talking about a moment of self-reflection where a character sees the error of what they're doing and steps back from the brink of making a huge mistake. Stuff like that is rare in the Sopranos, most of the time when a character gets it in their head to do something bad, it's gonna happen one way or another.

Off the top of my head I'd say Tony with the horse picture in the dumpster when he decides to deal with Tony B.

And maybe the scene in S1 where he makes the call not to have the pedo soccer coach killed. Though I haven't seen that episode in years.