Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The reality is that there’s going to be a lot of people for whom TROS is one of the best Star Wars movies of all time, because it’s bombastic, because it ends the Skywalker saga, and because it plays to emotional and nostalgic heartstrings. That’s enough for most viewers to lose their poo poo over it.

I’m predicting an 80%-85% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. Basically the opposite of TLJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zoran posted:

The NMNM correct post zone

Lol I was going to go through my trillion bad posts and cherrypick the correct ones myself once the dust had settled. Thank you for doing it on my behalf

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pollyanna posted:

The reality is that there’s going to be a lot of people for whom TROS is one of the best Star Wars movies of all time, because it’s bombastic, because it ends the Skywalker saga, and because it plays to emotional and nostalgic heartstrings. That’s enough for most viewers to lose their poo poo over it.

I’m predicting an 80%-85% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. Basically the opposite of TLJ.

Since I'm working tonight and we're pretty packed full on the TROS showings, I figure I'll hear plenty from when the showings let out.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Imdb ain't doing so hot today (it's lower than TLJ so far lmfao) but RT is a little different than imdb in how it counts scores so who knows

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

dibs on 69%

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I just want JJ to stop getting opportunities to poo poo on things I liked as a child. Thank God there's no chance that he directs a Thundercats movie.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

I just want JJ to stop getting opportunities to poo poo on things I liked as a child. Thank God there's no chance that he directs a Thundercats movie.

loving :same:

At least when Snyder poo poo on DC he does it out of some wierd Frank Miller only vision, and I can laugh at that

Abrams just shits on every established thing and just rehashes a movie beat for beat, in much worse ways

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dex_sda posted:

Imdb ain't doing so hot today (it's lower than TLJ so far lmfao) but RT is a little different than imdb in how it counts scores so who knows

IMDB is already accepting viewer scores? Anyway, Rotten Tomatoes is more well-known. Happy to be wrong and see everyone kick its poo poo in.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah true

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Lol I was going to go through my trillion bad posts and cherrypick the correct ones myself once the dust had settled. Thank you for doing it on my behalf

You balance it out with your prequels opinions, which are still garbage

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

IMDB is already accepting viewer scores? Anyway, Rotten Tomatoes is more well-known. Happy to be wrong and see everyone kick its poo poo in.

I am surprised RT isn't accepting them yet. The movie has been out everywhere outside US for like 40 hours.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I legitimately think the prequels (besides maybe 2, which is so goddamn boring for the first hour and a half) are way better movies, which really isn't saying much

They are flawed as hell, but they have an overall narrative arc that finishes what it sets out to do. George just has no idea what dialogue, motivations, or characters are (or any kind of nuance regarding sides in a war)

The new ones don't even have a cohesive arc to follow. Are we following Rey or Kylo's story? Are they concurrent? What is anyone's actual goal at any given time? What exactly is the driving conflict? I dunno; neither do the directors or writers

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just got out of a screening and holy loving poo poo. I'm still trying to process what in the gently caress I just watched because holy loving poo poo. Jesus loving Christ I have never wanted to walk out of a movie before and I wish I did because that's 3 hours of my life gone.

gently caress.

Nothing made a god drat amount of sense.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just got out of a screening and holy loving poo poo. I'm still trying to process what in the gently caress I just watched because holy loving poo poo. Jesus loving Christ I have never wanted to walk out of a movie before and I wish I did because that's 3 hours of my life gone.

gently caress.

Nothing made a god drat amount of sense.

Good... Let the hate flow through you!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Zoran posted:

You balance it out with your prequels opinions, which are still garbage

The prequels are garbage so...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TulliusCicero posted:

At least when Snyder poo poo on DC he does it out of some wierd Frank Miller only vision, and I can laugh at that

Abrams just shits on every established thing and just rehashes a movie beat for beat, in much worse ways

Snyder never shat on DC and greatly understands comics more than most. But hey, if you wanna start this come to the Snyderdome and tell us how he shits on DC.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I must confess to having been very wrong about the direction Disney would go with Star Wars, because I assumed they’d make a bunch of tightly controlled films that were basically anodyne retreads but had lots of cross-promotional synergy to maximize viewer engagement. Like, Mystery Box TFA would be followed by the side story that covers Rey's mom's backstory so that she could be brought into the main series in the next episode.

Instead it's a patchwork of anodyne retreads and weird tangents that get immediately walked back, and there's no point in caring what goes on in any particular film because the next director is free to ignore or retcon whatever he wants

sponges posted:

The prequels are garbage so...

I’m disappointed you didn’t edit my post to just read, “prequels are still garbage”

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Don't see why Rey's parentage couldn't involve the Emperor AND have them also be alcoholics who sold her for money.

Being the son of the evil emperor seems a good reason to become a drunken bum.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

Can you tell me what a Hillary Man is?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sheev's shithead kid Phillium sold her for a bottle of Hutt hooch and some dank Togruta weed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Can you tell me what a Hillary Man is?

JossWhedon.jpg

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TulliusCicero posted:

His stuff was very respectful of Miller but kind of comes out the exact opposite way in the end, with the opposite moral messaging.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dex_sda posted:

Good... Let the hate flow through you!

I went in without reading anything about it and having only watched the trailer. I’m not trying to be edgy or anything but god drat.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

His stuff was very respectful of Miller but kind of comes out the exact opposite way in the end, with the opposite moral messaging.

Snyder also writes strong female characters, while Frank Miller only drones on about whores.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Having the opposite moral messaging of Frank Miller is undoubtedly a good thing

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

OctoberCountry posted:

Holy poo poo this

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Tato posted:

Don't see why Rey's parentage couldn't involve the Emperor AND have them also be alcoholics who sold her for money.

Being the son of the evil emperor seems a good reason to become a drunken bum.

From what I hear that's literally the case?

My impression is that this movie handles the "your parents are nobody... EXCEPT..." like this basically:

https://youtu.be/4FYopOrkTOk?t=21

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Frank Miller huffed too many fat tip markers by the year 2002, a decade prior it was just the right amount

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

OctoberCountry posted:

I think that was the point/joke

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I like how people tried the lazy binary "people who hated TLJ will love RoS! And vice versa!" narrative but it didnt stick because both films are bleh

Hell yeah

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

deaths are speaking!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

"HAHAHAH, NEEERDS!!!" I scream at them while hiding the fact that I was wiping the tears from my eyes when I thought Batman died in The Dark Knight Rises.

Real men only cry for actual films.

Like parasite or the Irishman

Thank you

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

cuntman.net posted:

deaths are speaking!

I think we have a new thread title

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tarnop posted:

1. Confusing visual mess
2. He dies
3. They live on the plains near the Death Star wreckage. They gallop across the surface of a star destroyer, and can't be tracked by the ship's sensors

Hang on, they ride horses on the OUTSIDE of a spaceship?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Movie’s at 6 so I’m leaving work a little early to buy some baked beans and get ready for this show.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Last Jedi Prospect.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Brother Entropy posted:

adam driver is like one of those dog breeds that manages to be ugly and cute at the same time

He's very charming and Kylo has a look to him. So it was inevitable because Disney has to ensure No Homo at all costs.

I unapologetically love TLJ, but I can't decide if I want to hate watch this trainwreck or not.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The MCU, entertaining shlock that it is, still had people engaged with the characters over the decade+ those films had been coming out. So when Endgame came out and their arcs concluded, yea, you had people crying or clapping or whatever. It was an emotional payoff.

It's also why people still hold Han, Leia, Chewy, Luke, ect close to their hearts. The OT gave people a reason to care about those characters.

The new trilogy has given us poo poo-all reasons to really care about this new set of characters because their arcs are either confusing, or not even there.

The new films are still fun to watch but films live or die by their ability to get an audience to emotionally invest in its characters and the new series has failed in that regard. The prequels had this problem too - It's why when Anakin finally turned in RotS it was hilarious rather than emotionally heart-wrenching because his character had been a whiny douche the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

OctoberCountry posted:

Yes, obviously