Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Hahah YangGang dashing towards the center now that he’s almost polling 5% is the most pathetic thing this primary cycle

He's been moving toward the center on healthcare the entire time. It's just that no one really noticed except the Yang superfans (who've helpfully posted about the changes on r/YangForPresident), because nobody else cared about any of his other policies. When he first put up his campaign website, his healthcare page talked about his support for Medicare For All. A few months later, most references to M4A had quietly been replaced with "single payer". A few months after that, all references to "single payer" were quietly replaced with "public option". And so on. This is just him having a public mask-off moment to attract donor notice.

Gripweed posted:

yeah when people talk about telehealth in America it means you will only ever see doctors via skype, never in person ever again

Nah, telehealth in America means you pay a doctor to tell you over Skype to go see your doctor in person, which you will also pay for. The reason the health industry is pushing it so hard isn't just because it's cheaper and more convenient, it's because it's a vector to direct people to doctor's offices who otherwise might not bother to do so, and allows the system to charge you for two visits for a single concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
ooh, more drawings!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/11/everything-you-need-know-about-next-democratic-debate/?arc404=true

Steyer, Klob, But, Bernie, Biden, Warren, Yang

e:solo drawings later in the article

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 19, 2019

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

if you want to full-on it's-time-for-some-game-theory it, it's actually interesting to plot out what would be the ideal outcome for Russia of this whole mess, but it's a little far afield of the primary

nice to see Tulsi leaving the door open for her Fox News future tho

the actual results of the impeachment process probably don't matter to russia, president pence or pelosi won't shift away from sanctions/hardline containment/nuclear arms race.

the real positive of this for russia has been the split in us/ukraine relations. with the trump administration pushing for one thing, and the state department pushing for another, the whole affair has made it impossible for ukraine to work with the united states. the impeachment process, where former and current ambassadors to ukraine described the country as a uniquely corrupt place, was basically a weeks long insult to ukraine. six months ago, in that transcript between trump and zelensky, zelensky was flattering trump and begging him to send more weapons to continue the war with russia. now, zelensky is in the middle of peace talks with russia, moderated by macron. all that hyperbolic testimony about "saving ukraine from russia" actually had the opposite effect.

ukraine distancing itself from the us isn't just a product of trump's incredibly stupid attempts at diplomacy, but also a product of the state department publicly having a temper tantrum, and the democrats needing a crime to impeach trump for that involved russia. there are too many people involved for this outcome to be some sort of russian conspiracy, it seems much more straightforward to ascribe this as blowback from the united states government putting domestic policy posturing before international policy.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

putin is a KGB agent manipulating downfall of american democracy from the shadows, but also lets trust what he says to the press

sorry sweaty but impeachment is a Russian Active Measure

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Gripweed posted:

Let's stop talking about Gabbard and move on to a serious, respectable candidate
Only tangentially related to the story, but the backdrop to this is the South Bend cops loving up their community outreach.

Shot:

WNDU News, yesterday posted:

South Bend PD takes the guesswork out of officer discipline

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (WNDU) - The city of South Bend is poised to lay down the law where its law enforcement officers are concerned.

It’s hoped the development of an officer discipline matrix will help restore community confidence in the department.

“This allows the community to know that if there are certain kinds of offenses that take place, that police officers will be held accountable,” said Andre Stoner with Faith In Indiana. “It’s been very arbitrary and inconsistent when a police officer engages in an offense.”
Chaser:

South Bend Tribune, yesterday posted:

Changes to South Bend police body camera policy approved, but city won't say what they are

SOUTH BEND — The South Bend Board of Public Safety approved changes Wednesday to the police department’s body-camera policy, which came under scrutiny this year after a high-profile fatal shooting of a black man by a white police officer who did not have his camera activated at the time. But officials wouldn't say what those changes are.

Instead, a spokesman for Mayor Pete Buttigieg instructed a reporter to file a public-records request for a copy of the new policy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

There's this really tedious motte-and-bailey argument going on, where simultaneously someone being a Russian is some kind of horrible threat to our democracy that we must fear above all else, but then when anyone asks basic questions like "do you have any evidence this person is a Russian asset", then someone being a Russian asset is a totally unremarkable thing and it just means they've been mentioned positively in Russian media at some point (which applies to pretty much everyone notable) so even doubting the accusation is crazy because well look here you can see a Russian anchor said something nice about them can't you.

So everyone is a Russian asset don't you see, it's nothing to be concerned about and in fact if you are concerned that the accusation is spurious that's very suspicious/crazy. But of course once everyone forgets the details of the conversation and the meaningless definition of Russian asset being used, then it's right back to "so-and-so is a Russian asset, they're coming for your children, be afraid!

And thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.

Ither posted:

What's your point here? That Russia is doing nothing?

Hey buddy, care to explain why you jumped straight to accusing me of something I didn't say?

In any case my point is self-evident: There's a whole legion of grifters trying to make money from the whole Russiagate thingy and it's beneficial to said grift if they can make people really scared.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 19, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Gripweed posted:

Let's stop talking about Gabbard and move on to a serious, respectable candidate

https://twitter.com/StatusCoup/status/1207505503884062725?s=20

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Last night, just as the impeachment vote happened, Tom Steyer's automatic engagement bot sent me a message on Facebook.
My previous interaction with it was telling it to "eat sit", which it knew meant to go away.

That's my tom Steyer story along with seeing a hundred of his dumb ads to the point where even my spouse is getting pissed at it too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AceArchivist/status/1207604722959605760

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/StatusCoup/status/1207505503884062725?s=20

This is way too stupid for me to want to believe but I’m sure there’s video so l m a o

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

This is way too stupid for me to want to believe but I’m sure there’s video so l m a o

My dude... *waving my arm at the past 4 years*

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
My ACA plan premium would triple next year! I say "would" because I am miraculously lucky and will be starting new employment with proper coverage just in time to avoid that disaster but countless Americans are not so fortunate! I redirected my fury to a donation for Sanders and I'm giving time for Sanders. We must put a stake through the heart of the insurance industry.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

SuperKlaus posted:

My ACA plan premium would triple next year! I say "would" because I am miraculously lucky and will be starting new employment with proper coverage just in time to avoid that disaster but countless Americans are not so fortunate! I redirected my fury to a donation for Sanders and I'm giving time for Sanders. We must put a stake through the heart of the insurance industry.
Yeah but you can take care of your own healthcare, Pete said so!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Condiv posted:

i'm shocked that "tulsi gabbard is a russian asset" bullshit conspiracy mongering is back in the primary thread

She's NOT a Russian Asset (duh).

The correct term is "Useful Idiot."

Her stance on the Impeachment is frankly attention-getting nonsense.

Give a Republican a few beers and ask them what they would have done if Obama had pulled this same poo poo that Trump did with Ukraine.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Can we leave the Russian bullshit to some other (more stupid) thread and talk about the real threats to America?

By that I mean every Republican and every Succdem currently in an office or in some lanyard position.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1207740358513381378?s=20

Elizabeth Warren is proudly endorsed by a loving serial killer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gripweed posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1207740358513381378?s=20

Elizabeth Warren is proudly endorsed by a loving serial killer.
Apparently that endorsement is already gone

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently that endorsement is already gone

Of course it is. Trust Elizabeth Warren to take a bold stance and then immediately retreat at the slightest pushback.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm sure we'll see the same if not greater amount of outrage that the liberals poured out on Cenk Uygur... any... day... now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder if there are going to be any questions at the "debate" about the documents proving the US government has been nonstop lying to America about the Afghanistan War for 18 years

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm sure we'll see the same if not greater amount of outrage that the liberals poured out on Cenk Uygur... any... day... now.

Not seeing any sexism there though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Not only is there video, but the cops saw that they were being recorded (and livestreamed!) and were too stupid to turn it off correctly. They turned the camera around so it couldn't see them anymore, but didn't realize was still recording audio the whole time.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i wasn't even aware ed buck was an obama alumni, kinda wonder if someone just snuck their name in there

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

They turned the camera around so it couldn't see them anymore, but didn't realize was still recording audio the whole time.

Ah yes, the Master Race

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1207372169002569728?s=20

This picture has strong "Asking if you want to be their third" energy

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/1207748494003507200

I will never understand why some Dem candidates keep pushing "universal public service"

Like, is there actually a voter anywhere who goes, "Universal public service? gently caress yeah, I'm sold!"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/1207748494003507200

I will never understand why some Dem candidates keep pushing "universal public service"

Like, is there actually a voter anywhere who goes, "Universal public service? gently caress yeah, I'm sold!"

It's dumb poo poo that centrists nod along with and think is a good idea but no one intends to actually pass it and no one cares either way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Have you ever talked to the kind of person who is secure in the knowledge that their wealth/age/family connections would get them an exemption about what should be done with all the young people smoking and joking on the street corners.

Anyhoo those are the kinds of people that politicians like Patrick talk to exclusively, usually in lavish settings like crystal-decked winecaves, that's why this idea keeps coming back.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1207372169002569728?s=20

This picture has strong "Asking if you want to be their third" energy

Wow I'm usually strongly pro-beard but this is very DJT beard energy

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Not by anyone involved with Bernie or his campaign though.

Shitlibs are gonna have a whole bunch of suggestions for President Sanders to put in his cabinet and I hope he ignores them all.

A majority of people over 50 and male republicans:

quote:

Though the idea has never garnered much attention as a national policy proposal, there is support for the concept among segments of the public. A majority of Republicans, including independents who lean Republican, favor it (57%), as do men (57%) and those 65 or older (66%).

https://news.gallup.com/poll/221921/half-americans-favor-mandatory-national-service.aspx

So basically the people who will never be forced into it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why grow a beard if you can't grow a full one.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why grow a beard if you can't grow a full one.

If he's going full failson-in-law this is mandatory

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I still like the idea of expanding the peace corp or other service programs as long as kids don't get conscripted into it out of high school

It could be apart of the universal jobs program

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1207753361556045824

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

:holymoley:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

"we missed one"

How many serial killers were on the first draft of the list?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Gripweed posted:

"we missed one"

How many serial killers were on the first draft of the list?

I'm kinda wondering if everyone on the list knows they're on the list.

The alternative is they got an Obama list and worked their way down, and whoever was doing it had no idea who Ed Buck is and reached out.

e: and so is Libby Watson. This person replied with a plausible story:
https://twitter.com/ReneeParadis/status/1207755690183282688
(know nothing about her, but per google she's former OfA and a bunch of other public policy work, not some rando)

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 19, 2019

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It’s interesting we’re supposed to assume incompetence for establishment democrats, but malice for non-establishment ones. There’s far more evidence that the Democratic Party is actively colluding with the republicans than there is that tulsi is colluding with russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

Gripweed posted:

If you genuinely think there's a reasonable chance that Tulsi Gabbard is acting on behalf of the Russian government, you're a moron.

I'd argue you're a moron for discounting the possibility. It explains her more baffling stances on things like Assad that don't line up to any coherent strategy, and I simply don't buy "she's just stupid lol" as a good enough explanation.

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying it's the truth, I'm just saying that it is foolish to dismiss it, especially because the only thing most people have to dismiss it with is absence of evidence. Again, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And the fact that people on this thread continue to dismiss Russian meddling as a "conspiracy" even though Mueller's investigation detailed in full that they have a dedicated propaganda effort going on in the United States bothers me. Tulsi Gabbard being -at the very least, aligned with Russian interests- is not outside the realm of possibility.

MinisterSinister fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2019