Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

This is a great and very interesting distillation of the political discourse today.

It doesn't matter what's true or false, all we need to know is telling the truth is a radical act and someone who does it is immediately suspect.

Yeah, just FYI, this reeks of right-wing "YOU JUST DON'T LIKE HIM CAUSE HE'S NOT PC" bullshit.

Again, these are completely unnecessary sentiments he's expressing. AOC, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar all manage to be effective progressives without wishing for the deaths of people they don't like. Ilhan Omar, in particular, can look at a death threat and simply say "I hope he finds peace."

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Some people have forgotten (or never realized) that there's a difference between :decorum: and not being a shrieking rear end in a top hat to everyone who doesn't share your precise views.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If oppressed people openly wish death upon their oppressors then I don't hold that against them, but I will hold elected officials to a higher standard than that. I'd vote for that guy against any Republican but I'd strongly prefer a progressive whose rhetoric is not so violent.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Non-toxic, non-edgy, polite drawing-room agree-to-disagree discourse: poisoning an entire city to save a buck, airstriking schools and weddings, torture, child prisons, letting your friends profiteer off the misery and anguish of people dying of cancer

Toxic, edgy, unacceptable and outside the bounds of civil discourse: any of the above but it happens to the powerful evil people doing it

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Non-toxic, non-edgy, polite drawing-room agree-to-disagree discourse: poisoning an entire city to save a buck, airstriking schools and weddings, torture, child prisons, letting your friends profiteer off the misery and anguish of people dying of cancer

Toxic, edgy, unacceptable and outside the bounds of civil discourse: any of the above but it happens to the powerful evil people doing it

my dude I helped out a dsa state legislative delegate in maryland get elected. he has introduced a bill banning private ICE detention centers, got older people to be receptive to the idea of red vienna government housing by calling it vienna style housing, and isn't afraid to boost work of the local dsa chapters on his official social media

and he didn't need to be an edgy rear end in a top hat to get elected even though he and his hometown literally got poisoned by monsanto

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Did I say anyone "needed" to be?

All I said was it's weird to me that some completely true, and in comparison to the massive insane mindboggling violence actually perpetrated by the American state every day let alone defended and championed in the most 'respectable' circles of the country, fairly unremarkable sentiments are edgy and assholish because the subject is the elite instead of the masses of people it's normally considered okay to espouse violence towards.

E: I guess I just don't understand political discourse, except that I suppose we're all heavily conditioned to simply accept the mass violence of the status quo as normal, and truly cold-blooded defenses of that as unremarkable, so that's all treated as nonviolent civil discourse, and thus only speech that falls outside the realm of customary everyday state violence can actually be violent or radical or edgy or smug or assholish or whatever terms come to mind.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 19, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the mass violence of the status quo is normal, and has been normal for the entire existence of the human race, and its not something you change by being a sneering rear end in a top hat

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I mean it's not like being polite has eradicated it either.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

We really don’t need leftist candidates following the Republican example and openly calling for the deaths of our political rivals.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Unfortunately for that guy most people voting in the election he is running in like Obama so I'm not sure what the point is

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe because most people don't know about the horrible things Obama actually did

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe because most people don't know about the horrible things Obama actually did

Calling for his death isn’t going to help spread that message.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is he calling for Obama's death, because in the tweet he's calling for Obama to undergo the same experience that impoverished cancer patients have in the healthcare system that Obama established. If that amounts to an unjust and unnecessary death sentence, seems like the responsibility for that is Obama's no?

Anyway, it might spread that message, it might not. When people ask him why, they hear things about Obama that the corporate media doesn't tell them.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Is he calling for Obama's death, because in the tweet he's calling for Obama to undergo the same experience that impoverished cancer patients have in the healthcare system that Obama established. If that amounts to an unjust and unnecessary death sentence, seems like the responsibility for that is Obama's no?

Anyway, it might spread that message, it might not. When people ask him why, they hear things about Obama that the corporate media doesn't tell them.

Calling for the death of a former president, particularly a popular former president, is not a winning electoral strategy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You don't know that, we would need to do an experiment with a large enough sample size to tell for sure.

And anyway he wasn't calling for Obama's death.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

VitalSigns posted:

One weird trick that can turn anyone into a leftist! Establishment dems hate him!

Many of them don't see those things as being all that bad

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

You don't know that, we would need to do an experiment with a large enough sample size to tell for sure.

And anyway he wasn't calling for Obama's death.

Go out with that message to your local community and see how it works.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Taerkar posted:

One weird trick that can turn anyone into a leftist! Establishment dems hate him!

Many of them don't see those things as being all that bad

I guess I don't think mass murdering children and poisoning poor people is cool even if it's popular

E: Even if a hip celebrity who takes great selfies does it. I get that this sounds incomprehensible to most people.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 20, 2019

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i don't think white southener wishing black politician gets cancer is the framing you want to lead with if you want to talk about the failings of the obama administration lol

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Can someone point me at a primer for Sue Altman? I got hit by a survey run by Norcross and I learned that we may actually have a real progressive running where I live! I know absolutely nothing about her though, please help!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If anyone in this thread ever wants to get involved in local politics around the Delaware area, please PM me. I run the campaign of a man running for General Assembly here and I am a core team member on Jessica Scarane for US Senate. It'd be great to see mid-Atlantic goons involved with either!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So I posted this in USPOL too but I'll inflict it on you guys too, if it can distract from presidential cancer wishes or whatever:

So you guys probably have seen this, but a podcast I listen to has done a three part story about the Alabama Democratic party that is both absolutely fascinating and infuriating. Here's a link to the first part:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/llhd33/152-the-real-enemy-part-1

If you want a good demonstration of the hurdles Democrats have to jump to create a coherent party, the scars institutional racism can leave behind, and how much even "good intentions" can look bad when filtered through politics, here's your story.

Any Alabamians involved in state level stuff here? I'm curious if after all this got pulled out into the light there were any lasting changes and good candidates we can talk about.

Edit: fixed link, thanks for pointing that out!

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 27, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Surprised there isn't more discussion about an eighth of Miluwakee citizens losing their voting rights by the Wisconsin Govt.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LegionAreI posted:

So I posted this in USPOL too but I'll inflict it on you guys too, if it can distract from presidential cancer wishes or whatever:

So you guys probably have seen this, but a podcast I listen to has done a three part story about the Alabama Democratic party that is both absolutely fascinating and infuriating. Here's a link to the first part:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply...al-enemy-part-1

If you want a good demonstration of the hurdles Democrats have to jump to create a coherent party, the scars institutional racism can leave behind, and how much even "good intentions" can look bad when filtered through politics, here's your story.

Any Alabamians involved in state level stuff here? I'm curious if after all this got pulled out into the light there were any lasting changes and good candidates we can talk about.

Fixed your link

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1214173789166149633

Larry Hogan is a real piece of poo poo and I am so glad he is term-limited. Granted, he is fulfilling a campaign promise here so it isn't really that surprising or the kind of corruption we are used to from *gestures wildly everywhere* but he is severely damaging transit for road widening that just doesnt loving work and it is maddening

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/allyschweitzer/status/1220736524658061312

This is loving amazing. 2019 election is already paying dividends!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It’s really amazing what’s going on in Virginia right now. Too bad most of it is getting overshadowed by gun discourse.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Lee Carter got a shout out in the Post for getting his first bill passed in VA. :unsmith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Danica is also seeing some solid success on several of her bills.

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1221095508850225155?s=21

Really happy with how things are progressing in Virginia. It’s been a dismal couple of years so it’s nice to feel optimistic about something for a change.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ballz posted:

Danica is also seeing some solid success on several of her bills.

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1221095508850225155?s=21

Really happy with how things are progressing in Virginia. It’s been a dismal couple of years so it’s nice to feel optimistic about something for a change.
Oh poo poo, the ERA ratification is today? That should be fun.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoshuaCole/status/1222346231185379328

gently caress. I really wanted this to happen. Oh well, as he said, there is always next year!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoshuaCole/status/1222357556850561024

AUTOMATIC VOTER REGISTRATION IS OUTTA SUBCOMMITTEE! YEAH BABY!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

friendbot2000 posted:

AUTOMATIC VOTER REGISTRATION IS OUTTA SUBCOMMITTEE! YEAH BABY!

I'm having one of those "Progress? In MY Virginia?" moments. :woop:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaCole/status/1222346231185379328

gently caress. I really wanted this to happen. Oh well, as he said, there is always next year!

So would that have interacted with classroom supplies? Everyone knows that teachers are expected to pay for anything to furnish their own classrooms, sometimes even the textbooks. Did someone not want public school expenditures to go up?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So would that have interacted with classroom supplies? Everyone knows that teachers are expected to pay for anything to furnish their own classrooms, sometimes even the textbooks. Did someone not want public school expenditures to go up?

That is a possibility worth looking into! I will call some people and see what the reasoning was.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish somebody would tell me what my new Governor Janet Mills is up to besides expanding medicare.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

friendbot2000 posted:

That is a possibility worth looking into! I will call some people and see what the reasoning was.

I'm just thinking with ink here but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something silly. We had someone argue recently at a town hall meeting that we should take up recycling programs (we should) because we have a significant homelessness problem and "you know, if we're paying 5 cents a can, that can really help". As if collecting cans is going to pay anyone's rent. I should really put together some sort of needle exchange program proposal and pitch that to our mayoral candidates or something. One's a machine Dem and the other is a Libertarian challenger though so I don't expect much.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I wish somebody would tell me what my new Governor Janet Mills is up to besides expanding medicare.

Eating lobster, I imagine. Don't all Maine residents have to do that at least once a day? :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Eating lobster, I imagine. Don't all Maine residents have to do that at least once a day? :v:
gently caress no we don't. We also don't wear lumberjack clothing all the time. We do however have a magnificent LL Bean HQ in Freeport :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

gently caress no we don't. We also don't wear lumberjack clothing all the time. We do however have a magnificent LL Bean HQ in Freeport :v:

I know! It's one of my favorite places in the world, because I'm an uber-bougie white gently caress :v: