Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Don't go to Coqueta. Michael Chiarello is a sexual harrasser.

Bellota is run by two chefs who used to be at Coqueta.

https://sf.eater.com/2018/1/5/16856112/michael-chiarello-sobe-food-wine-festival-miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

interrodactyl posted:

https://sf.eater.com/2018/1/5/16856112/michael-chiarello-sobe-food-wine-festival-miami

Oh I didn't know that. I guess I'm not going there again. Time to try out Bellota.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
the industry is rife with that poo poo im starting to learn. just found out the other day that there are a couple master somms known to help you level up for sexual favors.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

interrodactyl posted:

Oh drat, well thanks for the headsup, didn't know that.

OGS-Remix posted:

Oh I didn't know that. I guess I'm not going there again. Time to try out Bellota.

Do let me know what you think about that paella. I'd definitely be curious to hear your thoughts.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

I haven't but it looks good, would love to A/B test there.

Carillon thanks for the trip report

FWIW I've been to Coqueta a number of times and they do have the proper amount of soccarat at the bottom of their paella

e: oh poo poo I wrote the above before reading this page; I guess I'm never going back to Coqueta

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

OGS-Remix posted:

Have you been to Coquetta and tried the paella there? If yes, which one do you think is better?

Don’t eat food cooked by lovely lovely misogynistic, homophobic rapists. Spit on Chiarello, don’t give him your loving money.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Went to Ippuku in Berkeley this weekend. Really enjoyed their yakitori and scallion pancake, and the outdoor walk-up bar is nice.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
anyone know why there was a military transport plane buzzing around they bay today?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Searching for the best mission burrito

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Ranter posted:

Searching for the best mission burrito

I love the chile rellano super at El Buen Sabor (18th and Valencia) or burritos from Cancun at 19th and Mission. I eat meat but meat burritos tend to be too much for me, so I get veggie ones with the lard refried beans.

E: preferably refried black beans if available, with liberal applications of jalepeno pickled carrot slices.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
i was referring to da plane

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
loving hell im dumb

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
umm, best burrito can be procured by praying to the almighty burrito rail gun, c'mon.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Regular Al Pastor from El Castillito on church is the best mission burrito in my book. Senor Sisig for California burritos.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Al Pastor Papi is the king of al pastor

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is it the kind on a spit with pineapple, or the other not good kind

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The c5s fly out of Travis up in Fairfield, probably had something to do with approach or training or who knows

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Ranter posted:

Is it the kind on a spit with pineapple, or the other not good kind

Papi? He’s got the spits.

Mosto in the Mission also has the spit, their al pastor is good but the rest of their food isn’t great.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Papi? He’s got the spits.

Mosto in the Mission also has the spit, their al pastor is good but the rest of their food isn’t great.

A stack of potato chips is all I need with the delicious mezcal at Mosto. Really why else would anyone go there?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Tons of bars have good mezcal and aren’t owned by Tacolicious?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I've only been to Tacolicious once and it was the marina one. Probably the bougiest experience i've had that didn't involve shopping at the upscale """bodega""" on 16th/valencia

Good pastrami tacos tho

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have a favorite bbq restaurant in SF or on the peninsula? We usually go to 3 pigs in San Carlos, and have been to Gorilla a few times, but looking to take my partner our for a fun meal so would love a new recommendation.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Carillon posted:

Anyone have a favorite bbq restaurant in SF or on the peninsula? We usually go to 3 pigs in San Carlos, and have been to Gorilla a few times, but looking to take my partner our for a fun meal so would love a new recommendation.

Have you ever had Chinese barbecue(Shaokao)? It's not really barbecue in that it's cooked with direct heat but it is delicious nevertheless. I recommend Aceking BBQ in the Richmond.

I haven't found anything better than Gorilla for American style.

aqu fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 18, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thought 4505 was great BBQ

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Switzerland posted:

anyone know why there was a military transport plane buzzing around they bay today?

Im getting flashback of extremely indignant bougie people calling the coast guard to complain about military planes.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ranter posted:

Thought 4505 was great BBQ

As someone who's baseline for BBQ is North Carolina: It's kinda meh in a sea of meh SF BBQ. I'd probably stack rank Cat's Head > 4505 == Memphis Minnie's > Hardwood

I've given up on BBQ in SF.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cat’s Head is definitely good, and I remain skeptical the south does anything well, BBQ included. There is a BBQ place in the mission that is terrible. I forget the name but it’s at like 20th and Mission. Hope this helps!!!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Horn Barbecue is apparently opening an actual restaurant in Oakland instead of just doing popups with a 2 hour line, so there's that to look forward to.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I just went to Yoshizumi again and it did not disappoint. If you like sushi and you're in the Bay Area, you should go if you have the chance.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

luminalflux posted:

As someone who's baseline for BBQ is North Carolina: It's kinda meh in a sea of meh SF BBQ. I'd probably stack rank Cat's Head > 4505 == Memphis Minnie's > Hardwood

I've given up on BBQ in SF.

Can you expand on what makes it meh, why one is better than the other, what makes them all meh technically? Not saying this is the case here, but we've had people claim that SF doesnt have good pizza like NYC and it seemed like nostalgic bullshit. I wanna know the real differences!

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 19, 2019

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ranter posted:

Can you expand on what makes it meh, why one is better than the other, what makes them all meh technically? Not saying this is the case here, but we've had people claim that SF doesnt have good pizza like NYC and it seemed like nostalgic bullshit. I wanna know the real differences!

I think most BBQ places don’t properly smoke the meat. Because you can find well cooked BBQ but it lacks the depth of flavor.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

I just went to Yoshizumi again and it did not disappoint. If you like sushi and you're in the Bay Area, you should go if you have the chance.

he's seriously my favorite! :allears:

one of my favorite moments was when a bro left behind a whole toro hand roll. Yoshizumi and his assistant were talking in Japanese saying "man, what a waste. :smith:"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ranter posted:

It's just not the mind-blowing good pork shoulder BBQ i'm used to from NC.

AFAICT SF's BBQ situation is dependent on there not being a big tradition of BBQ here, compared to the south, and when you do find it it's tri-tip. Don't get me wrong, tri-tip is amazing but it's not texas brisket or whole-hog pork. It probably also doesn't help that labor costs are high and I imagine permitting for a smoker is a nightmare in the city.

BBQ places here also don't seem to be focused enough on delivering one style, but cater to transplants - i've seen joints have multiple styles of sauce. No place in the south would have lexington-style sauce, eastern NC vinegar-based sauce, SC mustard style and alabama mayo-based all in the same restaurant.

Also pizza here is pretty mediocre across the board.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

Also pizza here is pretty mediocre across the board.

I thought a lot of what you said was interesting, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. There are some really good pizza places out here.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The East bay has better bbq and pizza places than the city. And while the BBQ still doesn’t match the south, I think cheese board style sourdough crust pizza with seasonal toppings holds its own.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Which east bay pizza place makes better pizza than every single Sf pizza place? And what do they do differently?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Cheese Board and all the places that copied it with sourdough crust and seasonal toppings, like I said

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
its silly to say its better than everywhere in the city lol. that sounds like a very specific style too. It's less silly to say that there's an east bay joint that makes a better 'sourdough with seasonal toppings' than some places you tried in the city once though.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I will keep your pedantic rear end feedback in mind for future posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
OK buddy I was being nice but since we're gonna do this

snyprmag posted:

The East bay has better bbq and pizza places than the city.

This is a dumb post.