Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Jeez, that kinda definition might make MinisterSinister an asset for Hilary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

MinisterSinister posted:

I think that stems from the supposed connections to Trump's campaign that the Russians had (therefore being associated with Russia is shorthand for being associated with Trump), but it's also because those other influencers you listed have goals in mind that don't involve, y'know, the collapse of the American world order and the suffering of our nation. Israel wants US approval and support so it can keep doing... what it's doing in Palestine, and Saudi Arabia wants US support so that Iran doesn't escalate things with them further. Both nations have self-preservation as their main goal in their political involvement in the US, and that is debatably not as bad as what Russia wants.

Again, it is a fact that Russia interfered in the 2016 elections specifically with the intent of introducing damaging radicalism on both sides of the political spectrum. It doesn't take a genius to guess why. They hope that this increasing radicalism will drive the United States apart and cause us to lose our status as global superpower, creating a power vacuum that Russia can exploit to return to its former glory. I wouldn't be surprised if Putin dreams of a Second American Civil War.

Israel, Saudi Arabia, the Venezeulan opposition, and even China have a lot to lose if America falls apart. The only nations that might gain are Russia, Iran, North Korea, and maybe many Latin American countries. That is why Russian influence is considered worse than the others: their goal is harming America, not protecting themselves.

Well for future reference, if I do use a term like "asset", I am using it to mean this. Basically, "asset" can cover everything from "actual spy" to "useful idiot". So if I say Trump is a Russian asset, I don't literally mean Putin pays him, I just mean he is someone who is possibly being manipulated by/used by Russia or is doing things for their benefit, whether he realizes it or not.

Our own oligarchs are destroying are society before our eyes and you worry about Russia?

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

MinisterSinister posted:

I'd argue you're a moron for discounting the possibility. It explains her more baffling stances on things like Assad that don't line up to any coherent strategy, and I simply don't buy "she's just stupid lol" as a good enough explanation.

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying it's the truth, I'm just saying that it is foolish to dismiss it, especially because the only thing most people have to dismiss it with is absence of evidence. Again, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And the fact that people on this thread continue to dismiss Russian meddling as a "conspiracy" even though Mueller's investigation detailed in full that they have a dedicated propaganda effort going on in the United States bothers me. Tulsi Gabbard being -at the very least, aligned with Russian interests- is not outside the realm of possibility.

this assumes that whatever putin wants is automatically evil. take nuclear arms control for example. russia's economy isn't as strong as america's, they can't keep spend as much on nukes as the us, so russia doesn't want to expand their nuclear forces. it's actually in the common interest of ordinary americans and russians to not have a nuclear war, but opposing nuke buildup by your definition makes anyone who wants arms control an unwitting russian asset at least.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hillary Clinton is an asset for Russia in the 2020 election.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MinisterSinister posted:

I think that stems from the supposed connections to Trump's campaign that the Russians had (therefore being associated with Russia is shorthand for being associated with Trump), but it's also because those other influencers you listed have goals in mind that don't involve, y'know, the collapse of the American world order and the suffering of our nation. Israel wants US approval and support so it can keep doing... what it's doing in Palestine, and Saudi Arabia wants US support so that Iran doesn't escalate things with them further. Both nations have self-preservation as their main goal in their political involvement in the US, and that is debatably not as bad as what Russia wants.

Again, it is a fact that Russia interfered in the 2016 elections specifically with the intent of introducing damaging radicalism on both sides of the political spectrum. It doesn't take a genius to guess why. They hope that this increasing radicalism will drive the United States apart and cause us to lose our status as global superpower, creating a power vacuum that Russia can exploit to return to its former glory. I wouldn't be surprised if Putin dreams of a Second American Civil War.

Israel, Saudi Arabia, the Venezeulan opposition, and even China have a lot to lose if America falls apart. The only nations that might gain are Russia, Iran, North Korea, and maybe many Latin American countries. That is why Russian influence is considered worse than the others: their goal is harming America, not protecting themselves.

Well for future reference, if I do use a term like "asset", I am using it to mean this. Basically, "asset" can cover everything from "actual spy" to "useful idiot". So if I say Trump is a Russian asset, I don't literally mean Putin pays him, I just mean he is someone who is possibly being manipulated by/used by Russia or is doing things for their benefit, whether he realizes it or not.

I see. It looks like this is blowing up into a pretty in-depth discussion, but since the debate is coming up pretty soon, this thread isn't going to be a good place to have an ongoing discussion tonight.

:frogsiren:I've resurrected the Russia thread, and have responded to you there. I'd recommend that any ongoing discussion of Russian influence head over to that thread, because we're going to be TV-IVing the debate here in primarythread tonight and any other discussion will get completely drowned out by that.:frogsiren:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GoluboiOgon posted:

this assumes that whatever putin wants is automatically evil. take nuclear arms control for example. russia's economy isn't as strong as america's, they can't keep spend as much on nukes as the us, so russia doesn't want to expand their nuclear forces. it's actually in the common interest of ordinary americans and russians to not have a nuclear war, but opposing nuke buildup by your definition makes anyone who wants arms control an unwitting russian asset at least.

lmao Russia has actively been rebuilding, modernizing, and testing new generations of nuclear weapons for like the last decade. Poor plucky little Russia, forced into nukes by Amerikkkan Imperialism.

e: good timing on my post here, I see ^^^^ I won't bother with more.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

the_steve posted:

I wonder if the universal public service thing isn't just some sort of Boomer-whistle.

I mean, I'm constantly hearing from olds (whether they personally served or not) about how the kids these days should be forced to do a stint in bootcamp so they can learn :airquote: respect :airquote:

That's basically what it is, I'm convinced. That and they are all comfortable in knowing they will never be subjected to it, and neither will their kids or grandkids (at worst they'd have to take some cushy "outreach" job in Europe or something).

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Instead talking about the Russians, why don't we talk about how Bernie is a terrible antisemitic?

Just kidding, but I do wonder which candidates will be the first one to bring that poo poo up at the debate tonight.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is this the thread where we all live-bitch the debate? Or is that in a different thread?

Also, pbs just showed old interviews from October including Castro and Bennett. It was great.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ahahaha poo poo Tom Steyer's California TV ads are harping on term limits as the most important issue we face.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Luckyellow posted:

Instead talking about the Russians, why don't we talk about how Bernie is a terrible antisemitic?

Just kidding, but I do wonder which candidates will be the first one to bring that poo poo up at the debate tonight.

None of them. It's too early. If someone accused the Jewish candidate of being anti-semetic, they'd look crazy and Bernie could easily shut it down.

You gotta let that stuff percolate through the media. It has to be "people are saying" "there are rumors around Bernie's campaign" etc. They have to generate a buzz big enough so that the size of the buzz is in and of itself evidence that there must be something to it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cellular metabolism is a Russian asset because human cells continuing to metabolize sugar and oxygen is in Putin's best interests of continuing to live.

In order to ensure you're free of Russian influence, stop metabolizing all sugars immediately

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gripweed posted:

None of them. It's too early. If someone accused the Jewish candidate of being anti-semetic, they'd look crazy and Bernie could easily shut it down.

You gotta let that stuff percolate through the media. It has to be "people are saying" "there are rumors around Bernie's campaign" etc. They have to generate a buzz big enough so that the size of the buzz is in and of itself evidence that there must be something to it.

I could see a moderator bringing it up, framing it as a criticism of Omar or something, but Bernie would just pivot into talking about the tragedy of what's happening in Palestine so they'll probably not bother.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Tonight's debate will go as:

Bernie (talk time 6 minutes 32 seconds): I say good things that I actually believe

Everyone else (remaining talk time): 99% of what we say is bad and that 1% that is good will be clarified as actually bad when I elaborate on it at a coming town hall this weekend.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Main Paineframe posted:

:psyduck:

So they're not denying that the serial killer endorsed Warren? They're just saying that they were wrong to put him on the list of Obama staffers backing Warren because he was a bundler rather than a staffer?

It is incredible how bad the Warren campaign is at this poo poo. How the gently caress did they see the inquiries coming in from reporters and still not bother to read past the first paragraph of his Wikipedia page?

Warren must be prevented from getting the dem nomination at all costs at this point; she will completely bodge the general and likely the downticket at this rate. How can someone be so bad at choosing people and stay elected? :stonklol:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I could see a moderator bringing it up, framing it as a criticism of Omar or something, but Bernie would just pivot into talking about the tragedy of what's happening in Palestine so they'll probably not bother.

The second biggest reason I think the antisemitism attack won't work on Bernie(the first of course being the fact that Bernie is Jewish) is that in large part it's going to be framed as an attack against the black women who support him. And that won't play well in a Democrat primary. If it moves the needle at all it might even backfire, increasing black support for Bernie

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gripweed posted:

The second biggest reason I think the antisemitism attack won't work on Bernie(the first of course being the fact that Bernie is Jewish) is that in large part it's going to be framed as an attack against the black women who support him. And that won't play well in a Democrat primary. If it moves the needle at all it might even backfire, increasing black support for Bernie

Here's hoping.

And speaking of Bernie, someone just noticed his rise in the polls:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1207791078222499841?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Who here likes polls?

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1207756142182633484?s=20

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If anyone needs a quick reference, TPC has a useful summary page up for the various tax proposals of the candidates.

https://2020-presidential-candidates-tax-policy.urban.org/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One thing I do like about Nate's polling average is that all the indistinguishable losers are color-coded to match that reality

Except Pete

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Here's hoping.

And speaking of Bernie, someone just noticed his rise in the polls:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1207791078222499841?s=19

Ooh, is this the classic "Bernie is winning so now polls never mattered and should be taken with a grain of salt" swerve?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I know you arent supposed to announce VP before being nominated but I wonder if Sanders/Warren would overtake Biden

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Probably.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

I know you arent supposed to announce VP before being nominated but I wonder if Sanders/Warren would overtake Biden

It's a smart move for the primary, and a bad one for the general.

Edit: Grammer.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 20, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/eldon_katz/status/1207576001380835328?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1207817924595064832?s=20

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I was thinking about the “Bernie is a antisemitic” thing and asked myself what the next step in the galaxy brain meme would be. I think it’s “voting for Bernie is antisemitic because if he wins it will fuel conspiracy theories that Jews run the world” and I hesitated for a moment like “naw that is too crazy” but I think somebody’s gonna try it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

She sucks so loving much and this is a good summary of why, bookmarked, thank you.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

SuperKlaus posted:

Ahahaha poo poo Tom Steyer's California TV ads are harping on term limits as the most important issue we face.

iowan here, can confirm that this ad gets worse the more you see it. i already hate tom steyer because i hate billionaires and i hate guys who are running for seemingly no reason but oh my god his plan to start off with term limits as the first step to fixing our country is just the dumbest poo poo i've ever heard. like even if you're in favor of term limits (i personally am not because i think it would grant a lot more power to other, more permanent members of the DC scene like think tanks and especially lobbyists) if you think that setting term limits is the most important thing we need to get our democracy back on track you might be too dumb to function.

i thought it couldn't get any worse but as if God himself were challenging me, Michael Bloomberg entered the race with a platform that seems to exclusively be "i am rich and do not want wealth taxes, please do not tax my wealth" and spent just as much on ads in my god forsaken state. I have very complex feelings about Iowa being the first caucus in the nation because it provides me access to candidates that i wouldn't get even living in a big city like Chicago but also the number of Steyer, Bloomberg and Buttigieg ads i've seen that make me want to throw poo poo at my TV is absurd and probably will contribute to my early demise.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is this the thread for the debate?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mcmagic posted:

Is this the thread for the debate?

yup

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How did loving Steyer buy his way into this one again?

I love that Bernie didn't even acknowledge Mayor Butt lol

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mcmagic posted:

How did loving Steyer buy his way into this one again?

With money stolen from his workers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lmao at Yang outlasting Harris, Booker, and Beto

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

An unmitigated truth.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Yang has a durable base of support among weirdos and young people that Ron Paul had, the establishment ghouls will latch on to the most viable "anyone but bernie" candidate the media directs them to.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wait wait wait WAIT...

...are you telling me that capitalism is theft?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Well, no one would ever accuse him of being Generic Democrat.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Yang has a durable base of support among weirdos and young people that Ron Paul had, the establishment ghouls will latch on to the most viable "anyone but bernie" candidate the media directs them to.

I'm curious what the % swap from Yang to Bernie will be in Iowa when Yang doesn't hit 15%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gripweed posted:

I'm envisioning a stream of Yiddish insults. That would be epic.