Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tane 2: tane harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: Thinking back on those early years when people would render star citizen ships on planets in cryengine to imagine what it might be like one day, it's hard to believe that this is even real. Well done, CIG

Is this the amateur hack or the game? I’m guessing it’s the game right?

Lots of schooling in the comments...

quote:

My main problem with literally everyone that bashes it is they are just plain wrong about stuff.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

iospace posted:

One of my favourite Chrismas Tanes.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Friend, I'm seeing some troubling language here. "After PTU" - are you starting to believe there will actually be a game here some day? Pull back, my son, before the darkness overtakes you.

PTU is just their pre-patch-release stage, it's not The Finished Game.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:downs: Regarding the post from u/cellander about Star Citizen feeling "washed out". Simply change Gamma to 20 and Brightness to 55. Or play around with these settings to get the look you desire.

:downs: This was my first thought earlier when I saw the post. Adding the color correction to those scenes definitely made it look nice, but it's not as simple for CIG to just adjust some settings. Something that looks nice on Hurston wont necessarily look nice on Arccorp.

do... do these people know how game development works? you can literally just add a volume in pretty much every modern engine to do exactly that...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You can't expect CI(G) to understand an advanced topic like, uh, :checks notes: shaders. Of which modern games can have thousands.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

iospace posted:

Stop stealing taxes if it's to avoid them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Is it a puff piece? I didn't actually watch it, as I can't stomach anything other than Sunk Cost Galaxy.

Its disgusting.

They call Roberts the "Lucas of space games" and suggests everything is going swimmingly and only taking a long time due to scale.

"We spoke to former employees and they all had good things to say"

gently caress off BBC you're out of your element.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Moola posted:

Ya sure guy, they cant simulate people going to the toilet without glitching through the universe and dying, but they can definitely realistically simulate light from the sun hitting an atmosphere yessum!

It'd actually be pretty easy to do that in a shader

But CIG can't even do that much

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

On the OCS side, for example, Tracy suggested that the technology could eventually lead to server counts beyond 50 players. However, backers shouldn't expect improvements on that level immediately.

"We want to do that stuff internally, find out where our sweet spot for performance is and go with that," Tracy cautioned. So lobby sizes may increase over time, but not substantially. For those cataclysmic gains, Tracy and his teams have their eyes set on a venture called server meshing instead. "We don't want to spend a ton of time getting server OCS just right so we can get to 150. Because why? We'll get to 1,000 with the other one."[/i]

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also of note in the comments - sounds kinda like a goon that made this same observation a while ago:

Sorry, that [server meshing being groundbreaking] is not true. I have been working in this industry for over 35 years and my network code is in over 50 gaming titles and hundreds of applications around the world. I have worked mostly in Asia due to the explosion of the MMORPG and mobile RPG market and the demand of games to serve hundreds of thousands, even millions of players at the same time.

What they call OCS and Server Meshing has been developed in the early to mid 90's and quickly been dismissed because there are more efficient ways to achieve the same result for the clients. The second reason it was dismissed so fast is the absolute insane server costs when you start scaling this to only a few thousand players.

There really is nothing groundbreaking in this technology and as they will soon discover, it is also not very practical when it comes to resources. I read somewhere that this game will not have a monthly subscription and that leads me to the conclusion that they will not be able to pay for the server cost of this technology.

There is just no way they can pay Amazon AWS instances needed to run and simulate a single Solar system without heavy monetization.

I wish them good luck and i will follow the progress out of curiosity.

This is correct.

With the caveat that CIG already has the heaviest monetization the game industry has ever seen. They're way way past measly $10/month fees. Try $4,000/spaceship!!

Problem is... they're spending it all on development.

This whole game is a massive ponzi scheme. They're borrowing time from future ship dev to finish dev they should already have done for ships they already sold, and they're promising servers tomorrow but using the money for them to pay for development today.

If the game ever releases they'll instantly go bankrupt.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

To be fair, I should expect that when the game is done most of the jobs will be eliminated. Obviously their dream is to keep development going eternally with new $1000 spaceships and new episodes of sq42, but they don't actually need to do that to keep the lights on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

To be fair, I should expect that when the game is done most of the jobs will be eliminated. Obviously their dream is to keep development going eternally with new $1000 spaceships and new episodes of sq42, but they don't actually need to do that to keep the lights on.

But, as stated, keeping the lights on won't keep the lights on. The server costs are going to be so massive that even firing everybody won't be enough. You'll need constant income, which means you NEED those new $1000 spaceships, which means you NEED to keep your dev staff on hand...

The business model just isn't sustainable.

If they were to announce the end of new ships, SC backers would stop spending money. The whole thing is a house of cards that is ready to collapse as soon as the scam is revealed.

The only thing holding it up is backer confidence in Roberts. If that falls, the company is done, nearly instantly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah backers now say they are spending huge sums of money to help development and that they don't care that once the game launches ship sales will cease (hah, that won't happen). But the problem is once the game launches most people who want this game already own it and so their income drys up almost entirely. They can't sustain themselves post launch.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Popete posted:

But the problem is once the game launches most people who want this game already own it and so their income drys up almost entirely. They can't sustain themselves post launch.

yup! i have no idea how they're going to manage to keep servers running. we all know they won't let people selfhost.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

yup! i have no idea how they're going to manage to keep servers running. we all know they won't let people selfhost.

Um excuse me but SC is going to have private servers. Chris said so like 6 years ago.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

colonelwest posted:

Every single photon entering the atmosphere is fully simulated, it might be hard for your FUDster mind to comprehend, but Star Citizen isn’t one of your poo poo tier non-fidelity games, it’s a full blown universe simulation. The foundation has already been laid, and once Socks version 2 is in, scientists will be using Star Citizen to test advanced theories in physics and cosmology.

Is it megamind sarcasm or...?

I would have believed if they did something properly at least. Or delivered something. It even would explain setbacks and delays - oh cmon almost 8 years instead of two, thats 4 times more than we initially were promised. And yet they are nowhere near even the beta stages.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

that once the game launches ship sales will cease

lolll there is no way that is happening. Has CIG actually promised this? That's absolutely absurd and would kill any interest anyone outside of whale backers have in the game if/when it ever does release.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is from the Star Citizen Kickstarter.

There is no Single Player
There is no Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
It is Pay to Win

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

lolll there is no way that is happening. Has CIG actually promised this? That's absolutely absurd and would kill any interest anyone outside of whale backers have in the game if/when it ever does release.

I'm saying, backers make the excuse that they don't mind paying huge prices for ships because it's for "development" funding. Once the game launches if they assume that CIG stops selling ships for these huge prices (they won't) then the game cannot be sustained.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

//

If the game ever releases they'll instantly go bankrupt.

I know at least ten people personally who in case of proper game release and delivery of at least half of the promised features and functions will throw monies at CIG, buying at least two carriers and quite some ships.
And they are not alone, I guess.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The thing is that yeah there may be people who throw big sums of money at the game on release. But the vast majority of people do not want to spend thousands of dollars to stay competitive and so they won't continue to play the game. So you'll just have a bunch of whales flying around in unkillable ships and the "poor" players just eventually give up and the game becomes unfun.

Unless CIG drastically reduces the in game price to purchase ships so that you can feasibly earn them, but then why would anyone bother to spend hundreds of dollars on ships? There is no solution to balance their insane pricing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zzr posted:

Stop stealing taxes if it's to avoid them.

Jealous? :smuggo:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thats the funny thing: most of the backers don't seem to realize everyone who wants the game already has it, and that the sheer amount of utterly exessive monetization and a toxic fanbase means that everyone who doesn't have the game have a very negative impression of the game, not helped by the star citizen communities hypocrisy with condemning microtransactions in other games while trying to justify star citizens macrotransactions.

The day star citizen is announced as a 'full release' and exits beta is gonna be accompanied by a chorus of crickets as the predicted millions of new players fail to show up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

So you'll just have a bunch of whales flying around in unkillable ships and the "poor" players just eventually give up and the game becomes unfun.

No way, they'll be glad to be indentured servants on my flying yacht until they can earn their own ship. As long as I don't have to share my virtual wine with them.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Pharohman777 posted:

Thats the funny thing: most of the backers don't seem to realize everyone who wants the game already has it

This is not the case.
Unless I win the lottery this Christmas I aint buying nothing until release. If I win tho, I'll buy me a big rear end carrier to at least spin it at noob station.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I'm going to buy the smallest ship package and use hacks and exploits to ruin the fun of the super whales. Just look at what's happening in Fallout 76, and CIG is nowhere near that competent.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Strangler 42 posted:

I'm going to buy the smallest ship package and use hacks and exploits to ruin the fun of the super whales. Just look at what's happening in Fallout 76, and CIG is nowhere near that competent.

Goddamnit.

I HAD no interest in ever playing this, but now you're talking about going Whaling?

I'm in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Is it megamind sarcasm or...?

I would have believed if they did something properly at least. Or delivered something. It even would explain setbacks and delays - oh cmon almost 8 years instead of two, thats 4 times more than we initially were promised. And yet they are nowhere near even the beta stages.

Yes that was sarcasm lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I know at least ten people personally who in case of proper game release and delivery of at least half of the promised features and functions will throw monies at CIG, buying at least two carriers and quite some ships.
And they are not alone, I guess.

Okay, what about 6 months later? And again? And again? How many times?

They keep investing now because they can still pretend the game will be perfect, its just unfinished. If it is done, you realize you aren't getting your money's worth.

Also, once "out" it'll be clear how long it'll take to earn ships in-game. If you can earn a ship, why spend a thousand dollars?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
PC World have breaking news on SC release !?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_P7VWYWQ-g&t=2855s

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Also, once "out" it'll be clear how long it'll take to earn ships in-game. If you can earn a ship, why spend a thousand dollars?

That's the tightrope they have to walk. Do they make the ships earnable in a sane amount of time, pissing off the whales? Or do they keep them unattainable to preserve the value of the whales' purchases and keep them buying more? If they ever intend to have a "release" that's a problem they have to solve.

I mean, there's a ship that costs $2,500. What kind of ingame time and currency cost justifies that price? Will it be like the Titans in Eve, where it takes months and months of collaborative work in a group to earn one? If so, how will they deal with the fact that dozens or hundreds of singular people already just... Have one, because they paid money for it?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

One of my favourite Chrismas Tanes.

Is it really a christmas tane, or merely a tane set at Christmas?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's the tightrope they have to walk. Do they make the ships earnable in a sane amount of time, pissing off the whales? Or do they keep them unattainable to preserve the value of the whales' purchases and keep them buying more? If they ever intend to have a "release" that's a problem they have to solve.

the whales have said over and over again that they're only spending 30k on the game to support its development, not to feel special. it'll be fine

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Goddamnit.

I HAD no interest in ever playing this, but now you're talking about going Whaling?

I'm in.

Imagine you're thinking you're safe on your thousand dollar space yacht. Somebody uses wall hax and autoaim to mow down your whole larping party. They drive your ship into the sun. Rinse repeat forever.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

Crowdfunding. As long as they don’t call it a subscription, they’ll be fine.

Even funnier, if they’re architecting this as microservices using lambdas to service the containers, they’re effectively attempting to parley compute - the thing they pay for - for bandwidth - the thing that really limits the player count.

This is not the case.
Unless I win the lottery this Christmas I aint buying nothing until release. If I win tho, I'll buy me a big rear end carrier to at least spin it at noob station.

No, you really wouldn’t. At the point where you’re poised to actually hand the cash over, you’ll come to your senses. Buying a non-functional carrier in a game that is going to miss a bunch of it’s promised content isn’t going to stack up with going on the lash for a solid week.

Even for free, this is not a great game. If it does come out, it’s going to be as buggy as poo poo because they’re not really completing anything. They introduce features and concepts a lot quicker than they’re nailing them down, and even the progress from the past couple of years hasn’t really kept people’s interest. It was, what, two years ago they were showing people a procedural city and a bunch of smaller stations for throwing down on your land claim. Since then, not a lot of information for a ship they’ve actually sold.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The easiest answer to any questions regarding ship sales and pricing after release is:

They are not planning to ever release SC at all, it would be the dumbest move in a history of really dumb moves and they know this.

Releasing would require:

1) Servers, which obviously are massively expensive to rent or own due to constant maintenance/upkeep costs.
2) A marketing drive that changes the broad public perception, the longer they delay the harder and more expensive this will be.
3) A game, given that it has thus far taken just shy of 8 years to get as far as they have and with adding complexity as they go which acts as an overall multiplier for time to be taken, this is just not feasable.

That's just three things that spring to mind, there are countless others. So no, they will never stop selling ships and they would be batshit crazy to release anything other than hype, bits of half arsed archered bf2142 demo, and carrots on string to keep squeezing the whales. They zigzag through dev bouncing between items with no real plan other than "Convince the backers we are doing something, no it doesn't have to be in the game, just make it look like it should be".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

the whales have said over and over again that they're only spending 30k on the game to support its development, not to feel special. it'll be fine

Saying you’re fine that a 90s hack spent your money attempting to relive his glory days and *being fine* that a 90s hack spent your money attempting to relive his glory days are two different things separated by a relatively short amount of time.

The delta produced there is the rarified salt that I’m partial to, although I do like a ‘slowly dawning realization’ as an aperitif.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sorry, that [server meshing being groundbreaking] is not true. I have been working in this industry for over 35 years and my network code is in over 50 gaming titles and hundreds of applications around the world. I have worked mostly in Asia due to the explosion of the MMORPG and mobile RPG market and the demand of games to serve hundreds of thousands, even millions of players at the same time.

What they call OCS and Server Meshing has been developed in the early to mid 90's and quickly been dismissed because there are more efficient ways to achieve the same result for the clients. The second reason it was dismissed so fast is the absolute insane server costs when you start scaling this to only a few thousand players.

Woof.

It's almost as if the CEO of CI not G was stuck in the 90s and all his ideas came from that time, ignoring every advancement since then.
Very curious indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Strangler 42 posted:

once this game releases i hope to be a free man again.
i will read a review (with a score of 74) be like “haha“ and call it quits.

i feel that this will never happen tho and i am trapped here forever