Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly at this point Valve should probably just outsource TF2(and most of their other properties that aren't DOTA 2 or Counterstrike) to another studio

especially if they were allowed to do console ports, the idea of a new version of The Orange Box would be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly at this point Valve should probably just outsource TF2(and most of their other properties that aren't DOTA 2 or Counterstrike) to another studio

Isn't CS:GO already developed by another studio?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nielsm posted:

Isn't CS:GO already developed by another studio?

No idea, haven't played a Counterstrike game in like 5 years

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Was. It started as a turtle rock production then valve snatched it up and started doing updates themselves.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

All I want is Left 4 Dead 3

Left 4 D3ad

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Was. It started as a turtle rock production then valve snatched it up and started doing updates themselves.

That’s Left 4 Dead. They were never fully brought in and maintained a subsidiary studio but lost rights to L4D. They broke back off and made the fun but horrible monetized Evolve.

CS was a mod that was snatched up in 2000, and the original two modders have since left to make other games. It’s still developed by valve, for better or worse.

crabf
May 29, 2015
i got one of these yesterday from uncrating

i probably won't even sell it, it looks kinda cute and the unusual effect looks sick (it's kinda like nebula but in a rotating ring)

thanks valve

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

That’s Left 4 Dead. They were never fully brought in and maintained a subsidiary studio but lost rights to L4D. They broke back off and made the fun but horrible monetized Evolve.

CS was a mod that was snatched up in 2000, and the original two modders have since left to make other games. It’s still developed by valve, for better or worse.

Im talking csgo. And youre right turtle rock was l4d. Some company (hidden something? Cant remember) was contracted by valve to make an uprezzed cs for consoles, which then became csgob and after the initial work valve took over.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Just googled: it was hidden path

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Speaking of, whatever happened to Campo Santo? They got absorbed into Valve for their second game whose name I can't remember and then nothing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Peanut President posted:

Speaking of, whatever happened to Campo Santo? They got absorbed into Valve for their second game whose name I can't remember and then nothing.

Working on Half-Life: Alyx and other various random Valve projects. In the Valley of Gods got put on hiatus as a result (probably not ever going to be finished because Valve)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I couldn't begin to tell you what Robin Walker does these days. Has he worked on DOTA?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The problem with having a corporate structure where people only really work on the projects they want to is that it results in most of them not actually doing anything productive, hence why Valve has mostly been sitting around with a thumb up it's rear end the last decade or so, having Steam as a steady income stream has made them too complacent as game developers

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with having a corporate structure where people only really work on the projects they want to is that it results in most of them not actually doing anything productive, hence why Valve has mostly been sitting around with a thumb up it's rear end the last decade or so, having Steam as a steady income stream has made them too complacent as game developers

this is definitely the going story but the fact that campo santo can go from a project they were very much excited for to having the project shelved forever as soon as they were acquired means there's some disincentivization going on

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

flatluigi posted:

this is definitely the going story but the fact that campo santo can go from a project they were very much excited for to having the project shelved forever as soon as they were acquired means there's some disincentivization going on

It's akin to that article published about the nature of Valve's open team framework in that you always want to be on the inside track keeping everyone else out or at the very least bogged down.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah. There are still imperatives to keep your job in Valve's "flat structure", but instead of getting clear instructions you have to play office politics to learn what those imperatives are. It sounds exhausting.

I'm sure the Campo Santo people chose to spend their time on the Alyx project and the Dota Underlords project, but I'm also sure that decision was influenced by the need to get on the right side of the right people.

They all removed "working on In the Valley of Gods" from their twitter profiles simultaneously one week.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 18, 2019

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The blog post for the last Smissmas is still on the first page and most of the text is literally copypasted over lmao

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?

Victory Position posted:

I couldn't begin to tell you what Robin Walker does these days. Has he worked on DOTA?

he's gotta be pretty high up the unofficial chain given the turnover of other heavy hitters. pretty sure he was putting a lot of work into half life alyx

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Not true, they forced people to finish DOTA2 after they bought it because no one wanted to work with icefrog because he's, understandably, completely intolerable.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Not true, they forced people to finish DOTA2 after they bought it because no one wanted to work with icefrog because he's, understandably, completely intolerable.

That's an exception that proves the rule in my opinion

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

icefrog also has a better idea of balance than like 99% of people working in competitive gaming right now, so

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

icefrog also has a better idea of balance than like 99% of people working in competitive gaming right now, so

I mean, his idea of balance is to make every character overpowered and broken as gently caress so that comparatively none of them are strictly overpowered compared to anyone else. I wouldn't neccessarily say that's good balance though.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think the viability across the number of characters is pretty amazing all things considered.

TF2 is fairly balanced outside of spy and pyro in my opinion. The generalists are balanced across all game modes. Sniper, Heavy, and Engineer are balanced in slower paced maps like Payload. I think a slight tweak could make them more well rounded on 5CP. Spy and Pyro rely too much on being close with very janky weapons that don’t register as well as hitscan or projectiles. I think pyro could be fixed easier than spy, but would be a fundamental change in how it works.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pyro doesn't seem that bad to me, especially since they overhauled the worst of its engine jank. It does have some underlying design issues that could be cleaned up--it never had a clearly defined role and while stapling on airblast helped a lot it's still a bailing-wire-and-duct-tape sort of fix.

I just don't think Spy is a workable concept without an engine overhaul. Melee abilities are not a great fit with a game engine that shits the bed when players collide.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
A class who only works if the enemy is playing badly can never ever be good in general

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean, his idea of balance is to make every character overpowered and broken as gently caress so that comparatively none of them are strictly overpowered compared to anyone else. I wouldn't neccessarily say that's good balance though.

Oh, you're one of those guys. Got some sources on that intolerable bit btw? Always fun to read some gamedev drama.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This was the only thing I could find on the subject.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

anyone here remember 2f2f?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Otacon posted:

anyone here remember 2f2f?

i remember loving directional dinosaurs being in the main rotation

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Also the goomba stomp pre-mantreads.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ctf_hallofdeath: the greatest map of all

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh god I remembera whip soldier only match on there, fnf was a hell of a thing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I remember playing on lazy town and thinking it was a good map (in 2007).

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
I miss 2f2f every day.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
it was on 2f2f I had one of my greatest gaming moments ever (I was the heavy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdnV85f-Zk

this video always brings me joy

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

it was on 2f2f I had one of my greatest gaming moments ever (I was the heavy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdnV85f-Zk

this video always brings me joy

christ I'm pretty sure I was there for that

I think I heard ~16-17 year old me on the mic at some point

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

christ I'm pretty sure I was there for that

I think I heard ~16-17 year old me on the mic at some point

Oh wow, I definitely was there for this!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Currently on hour 3 of todays binge. This game still owns

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
yeah it feels weird watching past videos. I somehow recorded this video almost a decade ago during the time everyone on a server could heard you on the sawblades

(Warning: Headphones users)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lu_6WCyLqw

those were some good times :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

yeah it feels weird watching past videos. I somehow recorded this video almost a decade ago during the time everyone on a server could heard you on the sawblades

(Warning: Headphones users)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lu_6WCyLqw

those were some good times :allears:

I remember being really, really sad when they gave sandwich a cooldown purely because it killed sawblade heavies