Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

read warbreaker first because it's free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Knowing about Nightblood from Warbreaker before the climax of Oathbringer is nice but not necessary. Other than that scene every other connection is just an optional reference or callback.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just read the last chapter of Words of Radiance:

So what's the deal with Dalinar's dream of warm light? The Stormfather confirms it is not a vision, at least not one of his.

I looked up the re-read on Tor.com and they had some WoB spoiler: WoB says that the last chapter of the SA has already been seen in one of these two books (thank you, zad-man, for finding that for me!!). Does this seem a likely candidate? I’d suggest that it may be a preview of Dalinar moving from the Cognitive realm to Beyond. On the other hand, last week STBLST suggested the Fleet scene or Taln arriving at Kholinar. Of those, I think the former is more likely. Do you have other suggestions?

Not sure what STBLST is, but either way... Definitely an interesting chapter :thunk:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Just read the last chapter of Words of Radiance:

So what's the deal with Dalinar's dream of warm light? The Stormfather confirms it is not a vision, at least not one of his.

I looked up the re-read on Tor.com and they had some WoB spoiler: WoB says that the last chapter of the SA has already been seen in one of these two books (thank you, zad-man, for finding that for me!!). Does this seem a likely candidate? I’d suggest that it may be a preview of Dalinar moving from the Cognitive realm to Beyond. On the other hand, last week STBLST suggested the Fleet scene or Taln arriving at Kholinar. Of those, I think the former is more likely. Do you have other suggestions?

Not sure what STBLST is, but either way... Definitely an interesting chapter :thunk:

i think the two answers are "no one knows" and also "go read oathbringer lol"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, probably :v:

I think I'm going to take a break to read Starsight, though. That way I'll finish OB closer to when SA4 drops

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

annual state of the sanderson is up

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm so excited to see the Way of Kings leatherbound. Also really looking forward to learning more about Death By Pizza / Songs of the Dead

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol sanderson now suggests that the cosmere books will be complete (optimistically) when he is 74

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

eke out posted:

lol sanderson now suggests that the cosmere books will be complete (optimistically) when he is 74

That would be if he continued at his current pace. If he offloads some of the side projects into collaborative efforts, he can focus solely on Cosmere stuff and speed that up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Daric posted:

That would be if he continued at his current pace. If he offloads some of the side projects into collaborative efforts, he can focus solely on Cosmere stuff and speed that up.

yeah i just thought that was funny - as you say, his point was more "I'll be 74, so clearly I might need to change some priorities around somewhat to finish it sooner"

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I like that his blog post recap of his year is like 10,000 words. The guy can't stop writing and I really appreciate it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

quote:

STORMLIGHT CHILDREN’S BOOK
A publisher Isaac has worked with doing picture books asked if maybe we could do an adaptation of “the girl who looked up” story that Shallan and Wit tell in Oathbringer. We thought this was a pretty cool idea, and so Isaac is working on the adaptation. If we do this right, it could come out around the same time as Book Four.

This kind of spin-off interests me greatly. Would love to see more aspects of the setting from an in-universe folklore perspective.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Starsight: I needed some downtime after fine finishing Stormlight, so I wrote this book.

He does more work in his downtime than I do in my every day life.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Him talking about Skyward and TV has me excited.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
The art he posted for the Stormlight card game is incredibly cool!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Xenix posted:

The art he posted for the Stormlight card game is incredibly cool!

Extremely! I love them all but I really like this one:

Also the little girl cosplaying as Doomslug is all kinds of adorable.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
That scene looks good, but isn't it Dalinar and Venli when Odium is breaking into the vision Dalinar pulled her into? She doesn't look much like a parsh to me...

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

eke out posted:

yeah i just thought that was funny - as you say, his point was more "I'll be 74, so clearly I might need to change some priorities around somewhat to finish it sooner"

Has anyone ever asked him if the worst were to happen (hit by a bus, car crash, terminal illness, etc) would he allow another author to finish the Cosmere like Jordan did with WoT?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

insider posted:

Has anyone ever asked him if the worst were to happen (hit by a bus, car crash, terminal illness, etc) would he allow another author to finish the Cosmere like Jordan did with WoT?

The fact he can estimate how long it would take him to finish the whole thing at least points to him having notes/an outline for the whole thing. Means the odds are better than most authors.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact he can estimate how long it would take him to finish the whole thing at least points to him having notes/an outline for the whole thing. Means the odds are better than most authors.

Well maybe? Or he is a robot who writes at a predetermined rate and will never stop.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

insider posted:

Yeah he's got contingencies in place

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Xenix posted:

That scene looks good, but isn't it Dalinar and Venli when Odium is breaking into the vision Dalinar pulled her into? She doesn't look much like a parsh to me...

That's from Edgedancer when Lift and Nale have their confrontation in the weird canyon city.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Guy puts more work in to a yearly update than GRRM and Rothfuss put in to their decade overdue books yet those two still get treated seriously. Though at least ASOIAF has ended, even If GRRM wasn’t the one to do it.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 22, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Guy puts more work in to a yearly update than GRRM and Rothfuss put in to their decade overdue books yet those two still get treated seriously. Though at least ASOIAF has ended, eve. If GRRM wasn’t the one to do it.

Eh we saw the outline

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Guy puts more work in to a yearly update than GRRM and Rothfuss put in to their decade overdue books yet those two still get treated seriously. Though at least ASOIAF has ended, eve. If GRRM wasn’t the one to do it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sanderson's clearly used hemalurgic spikes on those two to steal their writing powers.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Sab669 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sanderson's clearly used hemalurgic spikes on those two to steal their writing powers.

It doesn't matter how many zeroes you add to an eight, it's still an eight.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sab669 posted:

:stonk:
https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1211959143541563392
https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1211921125271191553

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dude is a machine.

Like any machine, planning is the most important step. The more planning, the more efficient he becomes.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I suspect having people assist with continuity and the universe help, because he seems to be the perfect opposite of GRRM. I'm actually floored by that tweet, that is absolutely insane speed. I was thinking the other day about how his current plan for finishing the series can't possibly work out because everything is only getting more and more intertwined between the novels, but holy poo poo maybe not---maybe he can pull it off, as long as he doesn't start too many new series every year.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love the fact that "writing too many other books" is a problem we have to worry about from him

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Some people deal with writers block by blaming the NFL or moving to a new house, and don't write for years. Sanderson just writes more books, seemingly for fun at this point

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
He wrote about 1/5th of a normal-sized novel in a single day. I've been writing for 20 years, and if I push myself to 2,000 words, the intense thinking leaves me with an awful migraine.

L. Ron Hubbard and Michael Moorcock used to write like Sanderson, but Sanderson's quality is way higher.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

jesus, putting hubbard and moorcock in the same breath like that?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
He's also put the progress bar for Stormlight 4 Draft 2.0 - and it's already set to 40%. Time to start my third reread from the very beginning!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Leng posted:

He's also put the progress bar for Stormlight 4 Draft 2.0 - and it's already set to 40%. Time to start my third reread from the very beginning!

What? How?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
With Stormlight books being so big, I believe he sends each chunk off to his alpha readers as he gets them done, then revises when he gets comments back. This makes sense, since they are effectively a standard trilogy in one book.

If you've been following along the OB reread on Tor, the last update in 2019 mentioned the beta read of Stormlight 4 will be kicking off in late Jan or so - which will proceed similarly.

He's also posted that he typically does 3 drafts and a final polish, with the first draft taking the same amount of time as drafts 2 & 3 and the final polish take together. So yeah, that November publication date is pretty accurate!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Slanderer posted:

Some people deal with writers block by blaming the NFL or moving to a new house, and don't write for years. Sanderson just writes more books, seemingly for fun at this point

I actually watched a few interviews with him on youtube recently and think I have him figured out. Essentially while normal people get a 'rush' from drugs, alcohol, gambling, sports, etc. he gets a rush from writing stories. So once he gets to the 'avalanche' parts he is like a crack fiend and can push out crazy words per hour.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

insider posted:

I actually watched a few interviews with him on youtube recently and think I have him figured out. Essentially while normal people get a 'rush' from drugs, alcohol, gambling, sports, etc. he gets a rush from writing stories. So once he gets to the 'avalanche' parts he is like a crack fiend and can push out crazy words per hour.

As is anyone else reading those parts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only about a third of the way through Starsight, and I know this isn't accurate at all but I basically picture the Kitsen like the Nibblonians from Futurama.

Not loving the book so far, but then I didn't really like Skyward until the end either so I'm still hopeful this will improve. But dang I am just not a fan of M-Bot, or any "You organic lifeforms are so confusing!" AI kind of character, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Sab669 posted:

But dang I am just not a fan of M-Bot, or any "You organic lifeforms are so confusing!" AI kind of character, I think.