Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there any way to coax this Windows install back into booting?

e: for schadenfreude value, I did this to try to get AHCI working on the SSD before I cloned everything over.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lazyhound posted:

e: for schadenfreude value, I did this to try to get AHCI working on the SSD before I cloned everything over.

install linux; problem solved

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I already have Linux “Mojave” installed?? :confused:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lazyhound posted:

I already have Linux “Mojave” installed?? :confused:

i'm sorry you have encountered an irreparable deficit in brain material

you may wish to report to your local in-patient mental institution to develop more reality-centric modes of thinking

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lazyhound posted:

you can probably boot a windows live cd (like hirens, or build your own win2go), mount your SYSTEM registry hive, and revert to an old control set (e: by finding the dword or whatever where it stores which control set is the current one). It’s been like a decade since I did that, and never on win10 obv, but maybe that will point you in the right direction

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

similarly, i think if you can identify and temporarily rename the driver itll not find the file and continue to boot with a generic one. i feel like i ran into this issue trying to update win 10 drivers to get a recent update to install and hosed up by misassigning the driver

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
use that one program from the eGPU forums that will remove all default installed drivers and block windows from updating them until you install the correct ones

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Vomik posted:

use that one program from the eGPU forums that will remove all default installed drivers and block windows from updating them until you install the correct ones
I think would require me to be able to boot to run the software.

Agile Vector posted:

similarly, i think if you can identify and temporarily rename the driver itll not find the file and continue to boot with a generic one. i feel like i ran into this issue trying to update win 10 drivers to get a recent update to install and hosed up by misassigning the driver
I tried this and it just complains about the missing driver, unfortunately.

Raluek posted:

you can probably boot a windows live cd (like hirens, or build your own win2go), mount your SYSTEM registry hive, and revert to an old control set (e: by finding the dword or whatever where it stores which control set is the current one). It’s been like a decade since I did that, and never on win10 obv, but maybe that will point you in the right direction
I’ll look into this, but there is the slight complication that booting Windows in EFI mode can brick the bootrom, so I’m leery.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my new ISP, while local and cheap and cool because it's like 8 people, forces me to double-NAT unless I pay $8/mo for a static IP. Is there a simple way to tunnel a web server out of these shenanigans? I was considering doing something wacky like an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric then using Cloudflare to proxy but that seems like effort and would probably involve replacing my shitass router.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jimmy Carter posted:

my new ISP, while local and cheap and cool because it's like 8 people, forces me to double-NAT unless I pay $8/mo for a static IP. Is there a simple way to tunnel a web server out of these shenanigans? I was considering doing something wacky like an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric then using Cloudflare to proxy but that seems like effort and would probably involve replacing my shitass router.

Have you considered buying a Synology??

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jimmy Carter posted:

There isn't a nice way to do this unless they let double port forward, you need a server with a public ip or ipv6, both options will add hops.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what on earth can cause config files to just disappear? it happened to my torrent client, transmission, the other day and it just happened to my window manager today. its like something is just randomly deleting dot files in my home dir without warning or explanation

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

no more secrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bAa6gFvLs

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

does anyone know how to sort completed reminders in the iOS 13 Reminders app by date? iOS 13 has them sorted by oldest first, unlike newest first in earlier versions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin lmao yeah rihgjt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
best thing about that question is that conceptually, if you could do it, it would be obvious as hell. I also know you're not a dunce at computers.. and yet apple taunts you with obvious functionality that should exist but does not

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

tell them to give you a native /56 and set up 464XLAT on their end

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
my windows 10 desktop has an old slow spinny 1tb hard drive in it and i want to make a 100% exact clone to an M.2 ssd. i bought a USB to m.2 adapter to attempt this

i have both the old spinny 1 tb hard drive plugged into a different desktop, and the 1tb m.2 ssd plugged in. i went to use HDD Raw Copy Tool to clone the drive, but it put up a big warning that it cannot do exact copies of boot drives.

so i am googling a lot and cannot seem to find a windows program that will make a direct 1:1 copy and let me boot from the new ssd as soon as i plug it in. does anyone know if such a thing exists for windows? one of the programs i found sound it can do it only if i have access to a DOS computer afterwards?? wtf

is there any program that can do this? why can't HDD Raw Copy Tool?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
can you use a real os and dd?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

my windows 10 desktop has an old slow spinny 1tb hard drive in it and i want to make a 100% exact clone to an M.2 ssd. i bought a USB to m.2 adapter to attempt this

i have both the old spinny 1 tb hard drive plugged into a different desktop, and the 1tb m.2 ssd plugged in. i went to use HDD Raw Copy Tool to clone the drive, but it put up a big warning that it cannot do exact copies of boot drives.

so i am googling a lot and cannot seem to find a windows program that will make a direct 1:1 copy and let me boot from the new ssd as soon as i plug it in. does anyone know if such a thing exists for windows? one of the programs i found sound it can do it only if i have access to a DOS computer afterwards?? wtf

is there any program that can do this? why can't HDD Raw Copy Tool?
HDD Raw Copy Tool looks obsolete now, it doesn't mention support for windows 10, gtp, efi or nvme

i think mercium reflect is the trendy free cloning tool now

if you have another drive to store a backup image you can backup without using any 3rd party tools using dism

also its a blast from the past but ghost 3 can do that and the trial is fully functional and works forever

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you, I tried Macrium and my computer refuses to boot from it so I'm guessing it didn't copy the boot partition (it looks like it did) so now I'm trying it again but with a slightly different option selected. This is such a pain in my rear end!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
also uefi is required to boot nvme afaik, if your windows 10 was installed in legacy mode you might have to reinstall

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can you use a real os and dd?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

also uefi is required to boot nvme afaik, if your windows 10 was installed in legacy mode you might have to reinstall

God drat it there's no way around that?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
looks like mbr2gpt is the command, I haven't tried it i only mess with fresh windows images for work

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

looks like mbr2gpt is the command, I haven't tried it i only mess with fresh windows images for work

thanks a million. that led me to this guide: https://insights.adaptiva.com/2017/configmgr-geeks-guide-mbr2gpt-exe-tool/

i'm not seeing any way to specify which hard drive to do it to though, unless i am missing something. i have the m.2 drive hooked up to my USB port on a working copy of windows; how the hell do i tell it to convert the m.2 drive instead of the C:?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Specify the disk nimber. It's right there in the page you just posted.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
that's from within WinPE; i am doing it on an already-working windows install so i am using the first powershell method

edit: i ended up just burning a repair disk, i performed the conversion and now i get "INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" blue screens and gently caress this i give up

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 18, 2019

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
probably doesn't help at this point but don't both the m.2 drive and the hdd fit in the pc at the same time? makes it easier to do that way

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows bad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

probably doesn't help at this point but don't both the m.2 drive and the hdd fit in the pc at the same time? makes it easier to do that way

I was able to make the conversion in the end but it didn't matter because windows still refused to boot the m.2 drive despite being cloned identically and I had to make the decision that I'd rather use a traditional hard drive over having to reinstall windows. It's the computer I use for all my plex stuff and movie and TV downloading so it was a major pain in the rear end to set up, and since I don't really "use" that computer (everything is automated on it) I just said gently caress it, I'll keep using the spinny hard drive instead of spending another 12 hours trying to figure out why I can't boot to this drive

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It sounds like you should have bought a Synology

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lots of people have not heard about `dd´ here i guess

and you can fix uefi boot after cloning

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

windows bad

windows fine

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
no clue about how the boot is structured on windows but on LINUX you’d need the UUID to be correct which would be different on a diff hard drive. I can’t imagine it would be different on windows. seems like it would be as simple as mounting the cloned drive changing directory to the boot folder (probably EFI/Microsoft/Boot) and running “bootrec /fixboot”

but maybe not I dunno I barely know anything about computers tbh

I think you can just do repair install from a usb windows install too tho

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I tried bootrec and repair install and all that poo poo and it absolutely refused to work

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
My parents have like 8 dog cams (all diff brands of course!) and the router provided by the ISP doesn't differentiate where bandwidth is coming from

What's the semi-cheapest type tomato type router I can setup in front of the router to figure out what IOT is compromised (it's sending like at least 100gb/day, I remember using tomato a while ago for a dif purpose; but that was years ago -- is there some raspberry pi I can use or what not to see what's causing all the bandwidth usage? They started getting calls from the ISP so they called me to come fix it.
)
I've tried some software ones (Capsa?) which didn't really do much. Im sure theres a better method these days than installing Tomato on a WRT-54g or whatever it was back in the day.

The cam's are all in high places and stuff so unplugging them one by one trying to figure it out seems like more effort than throwing in a tomato style router in front of the ISP router (plus it'll let me see wtf is going on with alot of connection drops they complain about)

for example in 2hours, with literally nothing going on (2am):

WAN Receiving 42.04G Bytes
WAN Sending 2.53G Bytes
Private LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1/24
LAN Receiving 2.56G Bytes
LAN Sending 41.40G Bytes

I've changed passwords/ssid/etc but still happening so ya that isn't really an option here

Thanks!

Hirez fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 20, 2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
post the doggos

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hirez posted:

My parents have like 8 dog cams (all diff brands of course!) and the router provided by the ISP doesn't differentiate where bandwidth is coming from

What's the semi-cheapest type tomato type router I can setup in front of the router to figure out what IOT is compromised (it's sending like at least 100gb/day, I remember using tomato a while ago for a dif purpose; but that was years ago -- is there some raspberry pi I can use or what not to see what's causing all the bandwidth usage? They started getting calls from the ISP so they called me to come fix it.
)
I've tried some software ones (Capsa?) which didn't really do much. Im sure theres a better method these days than installing Tomato on a WRT-54g or whatever it was back in the day.

The cam's are all in high places and stuff so unplugging them one by one trying to figure it out seems like more effort than throwing in a tomato style router in front of the ISP router (plus it'll let me see wtf is going on with alot of connection drops they complain about)

for example in 2hours, with literally nothing going on (2am):

WAN Receiving 42.04G Bytes
WAN Sending 2.53G Bytes
Private LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1/24
LAN Receiving 2.56G Bytes
LAN Sending 41.40G Bytes

I've changed passwords/ssid/etc but still happening so ya that isn't really an option here

Thanks!

Put Wireshark on something and see which IP is creating all the traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
just remote into them and turn them off or change their WAN settings so they can’t connect and troubleshoot them that way