Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finn actually isn’t interested in any of his “girlfriends”. They should’ve just had Poe and Finn kiss at the end so we can all agree that Abrams is the greatest fanfic writer.

I mean, they are the only two characters with any chemistry whatsoever in these three movies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hobbesmaster posted:

Finn actually isn’t interested in any of his “girlfriends”. They should’ve just had Poe and Finn kiss at the end so we can all agree that Abrams is the greatest fanfic writer.

I mean, they are the only two characters with any chemistry whatsoever in these three movies!

BB8 and :regd10:

:colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Glumslinger posted:

So who were all the people in the sith auditorium?

I just assumed they were 'shades' of long-deceased Sith conjured/gathered by Palpatine because of his ego. I'm sure the novelization will explain it/them better.

That or Sith cultists.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm surprised JJ had the restraint to not film a scene where Rey and the force ghosts of Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Anakin, Luke, Leia, and whoever else they wanted charge the emperor or the sith trooper armies like the scene from Lord of the Rings: Return of the King when Aragorn charges the Pelennor fields with his mercenary ghost army.

But seriously, how the gently caress you gonna call this movie The Rise of Skywalker and not have Hayden Christensen cameo as ghost Anakin. That's like, my only legit gripe lmao.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fair but they only got half a film.

Caros
May 14, 2008

qbert posted:

You knew poo poo was gonna be bad when a development as insane and huge as Palpatine’s return was literally revealed in the first line of the opening crawl and that was the extent of the movie’s explanation on the matter.

I liked that he learned precisely zero lessons from what happened last time. Lure the last remaining jedi into a trap in your throne room with your overwhelming naval superiority hanging out in the wings, ready to murder the alliance fleet the moment it shows up on a last ditch attempt to shoot his macguffin.

But seriously palps, why did you give them sixteen hours warning? Why not at least park them outside the no-shield zone so they couldn't get their dong cannons shot off. Is he like Thanos in the comics? Just desperately self sacrificing because he doesn't think he should win?

Honestly, it is a fairly bad movie for the first 2/3rds, but just as I had foreseen, everything picked up when Ian McDiarmid was on screen.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I’m watching it now. This movie feels like listening to a crackhead click around between Wookiepedia pages and piecing together a narrative in their head. Jesus gently caress the editing is spastic.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

So who were all the people in the sith auditorium?

As a real Snokehead I assumed they were all Snokes and I am positively furious that this was never confirmed or denied.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 20, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I wish this film was bad in the way that the prequels were bad, with those you at least got an auteur sense of shittiness because no major studio would ever make the mistakes that George Lucas made over the course of three movies. With this film and The Force Awakens I felt like I was watching a giant list of Star Wars poo poo be checked off over the course of two hours.

I didn't realize this until later but no one really cheered, clapped, or laughed during the film. My screening was in a special section of the theater that they sold a limited number of tickets for beforehand that had prize giveaways for answering trivia questions and other fun audience stuff. More people were in costume than in the rest of the theater and it had a high concentration of fans and no one cared about the movie.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 20, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Caros posted:

I liked that he learned precisely zero lessons from what happened last time. Lure the last remaining jedi into a trap in your throne room with your overwhelming naval superiority hanging out in the wings, ready to murder the alliance fleet the moment it shows up on a last ditch attempt to shoot his macguffin.

But seriously palps, why did you give them sixteen hours warning? Why not at least park them outside the no-shield zone so they couldn't get their dong cannons shot off. Is he like Thanos in the comics? Just desperately self sacrificing because he doesn't think he should win?

Honestly, it is a fairly bad movie for the first 2/3rds, but just as I had foreseen, everything picked up when Ian McDiarmid was on screen.

He forgot to take Luke and then Rey to a whatever the gently caress show first.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

FN: “Hey Rose last chance wanna go?”
Rose: “No I gotta stay home and wax the dog”

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Rant over, the 3D was really really good.

piL fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 20, 2019

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

What is this poo poo?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

hobbesmaster posted:

I would have loved that as they’re very clearly into each other much more than anyone else. I couldn’t help but notice they’re incredibly tactile around each other. :kimchi:

The big shared hug at the end was good.

The biggest unintentional laugh from me was 5 seconds into the start of the film. THE DEAD SPEAK!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My theater was completely silent as well. Not good folks

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
There's a lot wrong with the movie, from just basic stuff like the plot being entirely bereft of character motivation to undoing stuff and repeating scenes that were in the last movie, but the biggest thing that stuck out to me was just how ugly it was.
Horrible camerawork, weird clashing art styles and lots and lots of unfinished looking CGI. Luke's scene with Rey looked like absolute dogshit. The entire last battle was just disorienting and the throne room being a giant empty computer cavern was weird. There were basically no memorable scenes from a visual standpoint, which is odd because THe Last Jedi was packed with them.

The_Doctor posted:

The biggest unintentional laugh from me was 5 seconds into the start of the film. THE DEAD SPEAK!
Palpatine telling Rey to come give granpda a kiss or whatever was the funniest part but there was a lot of great unintentional comedy in this movie.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

So Lando just shows up. Everything so far has just happened and happened fast.

It’s good they finally have the gang together. The FN and Poe stuff is good. Rey is slightly more written as having a personality now.

Somehow this is more overstuffed and insanely paced than even Solo.

Speeder chase was a little cool.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Not Korriban was creepy as gently caress

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I wonder if Rey is going to get Leia'd in the Sequel Sequel Trilogy because Palpatine is her grandfather. If people lost their poo poo about Leia being the daughter of the Emperor's lapdog, then I'd expect them to poo poo a porg when they find out Rey's heritage.

What am I saying, of course they won't. Nothing in this drat set of movies makes sense.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This movie sucked rear end and its only saving graces were Palpatine and the disgusting slug man.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
"ackshually the reason RoS is bad is because TLJ was so awful and they HAD to course correct and they couldn't because TLJ was SO BAD."

Reddit reviews are amazing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bad movie that runs at 900 miles per hour to hit all the thin story beats and to get in as many Last Jedi jabs and retcons as possible. Involving Leia in the plot was just awkward and even though the real life circumstances demanded changes it probably would have been better to just leave her out. But theres also a lot of other problems with this film narratively.

Jokingly agree with all the 'its very anime' takes. Rey at the end was Sailor Moon against Queen Beryl as all the Jedi Senshi ghosts touch her wand.

Positives about the movie? I guess the interplay between the characters was a nice touch even if the dial was set to 200% humor all the time. C3P0 had the most jokes that landed and hes just being the meta commentator.

Forget 'Kill the Past', bury these films and never speak of them again. They had little to offer or say in the end aside from, "you'll watch it- its Star Wars."

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
You could literally feel the editors change when they hit Endor, lol

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Going from reactions at my theater, overall it was positive. Kids were absolutely loving it and everyone else was saying it was fun. We didn't have anyone show up in costume. Closest was a guy wearing an Imperial officer's cap, and we had two little kids have a lightsaber fight in the lobby.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

teagone posted:

But seriously, how the gently caress you gonna call this movie The Rise of Skywalker and not have Hayden Christensen cameo as ghost Anakin. That's like, my only legit gripe lmao.

Uh, because Anakin was a useless gently caress who's only achievement gets taken away from him in this film? Why would you waste time with a cameo from the guy who thought he killed Palpatine but really just got himself killed?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

qbert posted:

You knew poo poo was gonna be bad when a development as insane and huge as Palpatine’s return was literally revealed in the first line of the opening crawl and that was the extent of the movie’s explanation on the matter.

Mirrored the explanation we got for Snoke

How he could have survived the long fall into the giant gently caress off death star what then exploded to wind up on not Korriban welp whatev he's here

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The real crime is Star Wars is choking the theaters by hogging up all the screens this week and Terrence Mallick’s new movie was released on 5 screens TOTAL throughout the country (and its also being distributed by Disney lol).

Did I write lol? I meant to write gently caress this loving bullshit.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Robotnik Nudes posted:

So Lando just shows up. Everything so far has just happened and happened fast.

They cut out a subplot that he was hanging around on that desert planet because he never left after he found out his kid was kidnapped while he and Luke were there searching for the assassin guy. The Endor girl was supposed to be hinted to be Lando's kid hence the ending scene of them that makes no sense now. .

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

PJOmega posted:

"ackshually the reason RoS is bad is because TLJ was so awful and they HAD to course correct and they couldn't because TLJ was SO BAD."

"It's not possible to make a good sequel when the previous movie was so bad!" : people who also think that episode 3 legit turned the prequel trilogy around

"TLJ painted the series into a corner, there's nowhere to go from there!" : people whose favourite movie trilogy opens with an entirety self contained story that wraps things up in a neat bow

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

M_Sinistrari posted:

Going from reactions at my theater, overall it was positive. Kids were absolutely loving it and everyone else was saying it was fun. We didn't have anyone show up in costume. Closest was a guy wearing an Imperial officer's cap, and we had two little kids have a lightsaber fight in the lobby.

Everyone in my group either thought TROS was pretty good or just ok. No one thought it was horrible or bad. All the humor bits pretty much landed in my theater; lots of laughs. General reaction seemed to be mostly positive from chatter I heard walking out.

One of the people in my group brought their 7 year old and when it was revealed Rey was a Palpatine he was all like "WHAAAT?!" :3:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

This movie sucked rear end and its only saving graces were Palpatine and the disgusting slug man.

Okay seriously what the gently caress was with the slug man. He's in the Falcon doing nothing whatsoever at the beginning and he's celebrating at the end and that's literally it why in the poo poo was he put on a poster

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Horrible Taste posted:

They cut out a subplot that he was hanging around on that desert planet because he never left after he found out his kid was kidnapped while he and Luke were there searching for the assassin guy. The Endor girl was supposed to be hinted to be Lando's kid hence the ending scene of them that makes no sense now. .

Yeah, without the context it felt like he was macking on someone young enough to be his daughter. :barf:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to admit that soured me on the film super early on. "No Rose, sorry, you go away and... uh, Finn just treats you like poo poo for the rest of the film. Don't worry though he has a NEW girlfriend! Don't worry though she's black so you won't have to worry about any of that icky miscegenation! Also maybe she's going off with Lando because he's the only other black person in the universe besides Mace "I'm dead" Windu who is probably her great grandfather or something."

If the treatment of the film I saw like a month or so ago is correct, that's because she's his daughter.

Another thing that this one had that wasn't in the movie was that... everyone was with Rey on the Tattooine scene, not just her and BB-8, and also, no Kylo/Rey kiss. He gets Yeet into a pit and he's out of the film. Ray just doesn't die from "Running out of Force" in the battle and thus is able to leave.

I'm guessing Test Audiences didn't understand he died, so they wanted to make it clear.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This was the most Star Wars movie ever. Every second was more Star Wars and the last, no character could become unrelated to the plot, dozens of fake deaths, and even more Star Wars!!!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Why do half the people in this stupid galaxy wear masks?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Onmi posted:

If the treatment of the film I saw like a month or so ago is correct, that's because she's his daughter.

Another thing that this one had that wasn't in the movie was that... everyone was with Rey on the Tattooine scene, not just her and BB-8, and also, no Kylo/Rey kiss. He gets Yeet into a pit and he's out of the film. Ray just doesn't die from "Running out of Force" in the battle and thus is able to leave.

I'm guessing Test Audiences didn't understand he died, so they wanted to make it clear.

Well, ya know, after Sheev that point kinda needed to be made I guess

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Bad air?

Google glass?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

PJOmega posted:

gently caress this noise. This just showed how great TLJ was. It's too bad Rian Johnson couldn't close out the trilogy because he gave the only truly compelling story so far. Also whoever edited this film needs to get loving banished from the industry for good. It was so SO SO horribly edited. The pacing was godawful. Also everything after the Han Solo scene was trash. Even the scene with Luke was weak and void of any charisma. And that had to be the weakest final battle I've seen maybe ever. Blow up their compass transmitter tower?

gently caress all y'all who hated on TLJ. This is what you get when you want pure distilled nostalgia injected straight into your vein. A bunch of uninspired trash.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pigbuster posted:

Okay seriously what the gently caress was with the slug man. He's in the Falcon doing nothing whatsoever at the beginning and he's celebrating at the end and that's literally it why in the poo poo was he put on a poster

The first thing I said when I got out of the movie was “what the gently caress was up with the revolting slug man??” It was a complete non-sequitur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Because putting a mask on an actor means you can put any swinging dick idiot on screen and pay them the scale rate even though it's Disney and Star Wars.

I didn't understand why Keri Russell had to wear her burqa helmet in all her scenes, though.