Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well I dunno about that, I enjoyed UtK2. I think it's strictly better than New Blood fwiw

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

From someone who has only consumed this series through LPs, it doesnt' seem noticeably worse than any of the other trauma centers

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It looks like Dr. Chase and the others are on their way.
Oh, that's good news...!
But it'll be a while before they get here. ...Doctor, will you please reconsider? I know it's my fault you're hesitant... I shouldn't have come down on you so hard.

Glad we can agree on that.

Angie... You can't take all the blame. What you said wasn't entirely untrue--

Not 100% untrue; just 99%.

Doctor... Please... You have to make a decision. Are we going to perform the operation while he still has his strength, or risk waiting...
I-I... We can't do it without them. There are so many factors we haven't even considered, and--
Y-You're right... I know it would be safer to wait. But in my heart, Dr. Stiles... I know you can do this... Please, you must--

There's no more time! Operating is his only hope!
No... That's too dangerous! We can still find a way to stabilize him long enough... I think we can buy more time if we lower his body temperature. That will--
No, Dr. Stiles! He won't last!
W-We don't have a choice...
Why...? ...Why won't you even try to save him...!?
It doesn't matter whether or not it's possible. Right now, I just have to hope that it is.
You've given every patient you've ever operated on 100% of your effort... So, please...! There's no one I trust more than you!

Angie is pretty much retracting most of the things she said a chapter ago.

Please save him, Doctor...! Save my dad!
...!

Derek: "Why? Can't you cure him?"

Huh?

Derek: "No...! I don't want him to die...! Why!? Why can't the doctors cure him!?"

Th-That...

Derek: "Please... Please, save my dad!"

That memory...! ...Why am I hesitating? Someone is suffering, just like I did... Derek Stiles...
Didn't you pursue this career to give people hope!? I'm not a doctor if I give up hope before my patients!

D-Doctor...?
I'm sorry I hesitated, Angie. But I'm not going to let you suffer anymore. I'll... No, we're going to do everything we can!
Doctor... Then, you'll...
Let's begin the operation! We'll save your father!

We'll do it next update, though, because they decided to split Blackwell's PGS saga into four episodes.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

By next update, I mean about 10 minutes later apparently. This episode should've been merged with the last one.

His blood pressure and pulse are decreasing! If this keeps up, his vitals will drop as well...!
Let's perform the operation! Get ready immediately!
Understood!
(I can't hesitate! Now isn't the time to be scared! Never forget, Derek Stiles! You are a doctor!)

Doctor...
It's going to be OK; don't worry.
I-I understand... Then, let's begin the briefing. Again, the affected area is the heart, and mutated tumors have formed due to Post-GUILT Syndrome. The objective for this operation is the same:
  • Excise and extract the mutated tumors from the heart.
It may be more difficult this time; his condition has gotten even worse...
But... I don't want my father to--
Angie, if we both work together, I'm sure we can save him... No, we WILL save him!
Right, Doctor!

Operation Video

Doctor, this time... please try your best... L-Let's get started.

Mutated tumors have been confirmed. The tumors we treated last time have also reformed! Watch out for the tumor's changing colors and continue the treatment! And since PGS has set in, you'll need to inject the sedative as well!

Make sure to dispel the toxicosis. Even if it doesn't drain vitals directly, it definitely makes things worse in addition to disabling the stabilizer.

Maintaining vitals above 50 is pretty much impossible with toxicosis around. Even without it, we still need to pay close attention.

Otherwise, things are the same. The time limit is a lot more lenient this time, so you can even afford to let the cytoplasm reform several times.

Treatment of the affected areas in view are complete, but, Doctor...
I know. That accelerated tumor mutation hasn't been confirmed. Just keep an eye out for anything unexpected, Angie!
Y-Yes, Doctor...!

Doctor, I'm getting new tumor readings!
It must be that mutated one... I knew it would show up! Ngh... It's changing colors so fast!
...I don't think any normal procedure can deal with it...!
...I need to get the Healing Touch back, now! I have to concentrate!
Please, Dr. Stiles! Please... save my father!

"Save my dad!"

...Yes. I will save him. I... became a doctor to fulfill a promise I made to myself. This is my power... and with it... I can cure any disease!

It's back! :woop:

Oh how I missed this :dance:

The tumors will flash several times before sticking to a color. Normally this wouldn't be an issue since those flashes are too fast, but with the Healing Touch it can trick you.

Make sure the tumor stop flashing before draining/removing it.

Otherwise, this tumor changes color a lot more slowly than the regular ones without HT, so that's nice.

By the way, the HT duration here lasts until we remove this final tumor, so you won't get stuck if you don't remove it quickly.

Treatment of all mutated tumors... is complete. Doctor... I knew you could do it!
Thank you, Angie.
...Huh?
You, and everyone else, are the reason I made it through this.
...? But I... I didn't do anything...

At least that you can't call Angie a liar.

Yes, you did. I never could have done it without you! Thank you so much, Angie!
Doctor...?

If you say so, Derek.

Now, we're almost done. Let's continue the procedure!
...Right!

By continuing he means just closing up.

It's actually much easier to XS this than the last operation.

We... We pulled it off!
Y-Yes...!
I'm so glad...!
(But that power I used... That was definitely...)
(My mind... It's so foggy... What's wrong with me? My whole body feels heavy... and... why is everything going dark...?) *collapses*
D-Doctor...!? Are you OK!? Dr. Stiles!

H-He's over here!
What's his condition!?
About that... They said there's a risk of infection, so I ordered all personnel to stay clear...
drat, I hope we still have enough time!

Shhhhh! Keep your voice down in the ward!
O-Oh, yeah... My bad.
Wait a second, what's going on!? What happened to Derek!? Is he infected!?
...... Breathing is stable, pulse... normal. No external injuries, no fever... ...I think he's just fast asleep.
...WHAT!?
Professor Blackwell... His vitals are stable too.
Yes, I think he's going to be OK. Dr. Stiles saved him.
So... there's nothing for us to do here?
It sure seems that way.

You called us all the way out here so we could watch you take a nap!?
H-Hey, don't wake him up! Seriously! Just let him rest for a while.
...Hey, Angie... Are you and Dr. Stiles... OK?
Um, I-I have no idea what you're talking about...
*smirk*
Wh-What...!?
Oh, it's nothing.

You really do like making people worry, don't you?
I know I've been a pain... But thanks to all of you, I think I'm ready to stand on my own two feet again. Thank you so much.

Derek is back to wearing his travel clothes.

Good, then it looks like you're done with your second residency. You were quite a headache... but I suppose that's always been the case...
Yes, Derek is such a handful...
Oh, come on! I'm about to leave... Can't you treat me like a colleague for once!?
...Derek. The reason you can return to Caduceus is not because you've regained your Healing Touch... It's because you returned to being the doctor you were, who could face patients in any situation. The fierce battles are far from over. You can't let them get the best of you.
Yes, sir...!
And as your guardian angle, I've got one more thing to say... Next time you go with Ms. Thompson to see her father...
try to bring him some good news, OK?
Huh...!? What's that supposed to mean!?
Hahaha...
I guess we can only work so many miracles, Nurse Fulton...

Spoiler: Next time we see Blackwell, we're not bringing any good news.

Huh...? You came to get me?
...Didn't they tell you? They asked me to meet up with you, actually...
Oh... Is that right...? (Man... All that silly talk is making me nervous around my own assistant.)
Um... Dr. Stiles?
What-- Er, yes?
Well... I haven't had the chance to thank you properly...
Thank you... for saving my father, again.
...I need to thank you, too. You're the reason I was able to break out of my slump, and regain my Healing Touch... I'm looking forward to starting fresh.
OK, but you know, I'm still going to speak my mind, even if it comes out sounding harsh...
Haha, I didn't expect that would ever change. But... it's probably best that way.
...Well, shall we get going?
Sure.

The chapter ends with the marker returning to Caduceus, which I think is a nice note to end on.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I like this resolution. I think this whole arc could be executed better but at least it ends on a high note.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The whole thing was incredibly stupid and mean-spirited and Angie does not deserve to be congratulated for what happened when it was entirely her fault in the first place.

But at least it ends with the status quo restored, I guess.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Yeah, I think the ending for this part is pretty alright! The arc was overall interesting and I'm glad it ends on a nice note, though as stated I think it got kind of shakily written in some bits, like in a few of Angie's parts. :)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blaze Dragon posted:

when it was entirely her fault in the first place.

Don't agree with this at all. Just imagine, hypothetically, she's not in the scenario whatsoever - he's still going to lose his touch after making a triage choice which didn't pan out, and still have to rebuild his confidence just as we saw. It just wouldn't be so directly personal as to who he's operating on.

like, yeah, she shredded him harder than he deserved and the writing couldn't hold it up, there is definitely some responsibility to be had, but "entirely?" Nah. That's reading a bias in to the scenario imo.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 23, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Meanwhile, back to the main plot...

Is that the official name of the venture you mentioned yesterday, Mr. Mcercer?

In fact, I pushed for this title, to ensure that the importance of our motives was not forgotten.

Hoffman is very unimpressed :geno:

Let me see if I've got this right... The goal of the HOA is to provide doctors with world-class training, correct?
Actually, that's a very accurate summary of our main directive. You see, the number of doctors who reach their full potential as surgeons is rather minimal. Our emphasis would be to provide skilled doctors with the training to make them superior--top-tier.
This training you intend to do... I don't think it will be as easy as you make it sound.
I understand your concerns, but we've considered this from every possible angle. It's fool proof. I'd be happy to explain the procedure in more detail when we invite you to our offices. Caduceus and its doctors continue to set the standard for skills and practices in the medical field. The Hands of Asclepius is going to do everything it can to bring the world's doctors to your level. For that reason, I hope Caduceus will support us with personnel as a symbol of your cooperation.
Mr. Mercer, I do approve of your company's aspirations... But even though we've taken measures to counter PGS, the battle isn't over. All I can say is that, right now, it would be very difficult to lend you any of our staff. And unfortunately, we don't have any jurisdiction over doctors outside of our organization.
I realize that I am asking a lot, but even so, please consider my request.
It says in your plan that you intend to cultivate 10 or more premier doctors within a year... Wouldn't you say that's fairly ambitious for that kind of time span?
With people's lives on the line, time is of essence, wouldn't you agree?
...That is true...

I heard you had a rough time over at Hope, man... The Iron Vixen herself told me how much fun she had with you.

That gallblader operation is especially cruel :argh:

Yeah, I'm sorry to have worried everybody. But I'm OK now, really.
Derek... There was no doubt in my mind that you would return to work here.
Thanks, Dr. Clarks. Again, I'm sorry to have caused so much trouble.
Not at all. Besides, now you'll work twice as hard to make up for all the lost time, right? It was a relief to hear that you were able to save Professor Blackwell. Losing him would have been a tragedy for us all.
It took a while, but I'm back, and I feel confident again.
Angie, we're happy for you too! Your father's prognosis looks good, right?
Yes, thanks to everyone's help...
Hm? Hey, Tyler, where's Adel? Is he in class right now?
Oh yeah... About him... Things have gotten a little... complicated.
What'd you do to him, Tyler!?
I told Adel that the Director was the one who performed his operation. And after that, he...

H-Hey... Adel...?
...I feel so... betrayed...
Huh?
Well, I... I believed in him. I believed that if I ever got into trouble, he'd be the one who'd be there for me... But he... I don't understand...
N-No, you've got it wrong, Adel. Derek was--
...What?
Well... He... He really wasn't in any condition to perform the operation.
But, Dr. Stiles has the Healing Touch! Why didn't he use it on me!? Did he think I wasn't worth it!?
Even if he wanted to, he--
I... was about to die... And he still didn't-- How am I supposed to trust Dr. Stiles now...!?
Adel...!? H-Hey, where are you going?

I guess we now know why he's taking Derek's absence surprising "well" :confuoot:

I'm sorry, Derek. I couldn't shake him out of it.
So that's why Dr. Tulba looked so gloomy after the operation...
Dr .Stiles, it might be best to clear up any misunderstandings before matters get worse.
Adel...

The lack of doctors, the cost of entering the field, and the gap between the rich and poor. Even the skill level of doctors from one hospital to the next varies wildly. These are all problems I've been fighting to solve.
I'm aware that you have been a staunch activist in your attempts to make changes in our field... You've established charities and joined hands with both private investors and companies. For a division of the government, you've made these things happen with incredible speed.
I have my reasons for wanting to get things pushed through quickly.
...Hm?
Are you interested in seeing our operating rooms?
Yes, definitely.

Derek. Is today your first day back?
So you've returned... I can tell just by looking at you that you're back to your old self.

Speaking of returning, here's an interesting tidbit. When Hoffman started operating again in UtK and became the director of Caduceus, he got a new smug default portrait :smug:

Sadly that doesn't apply to SO or this game :(

Director Hoffman, Chief Kasal... I'm sorry to have been such a burden on you.
Ah... Are you the infamous Dr. Stiles!?
Derek, this is Patrick Mercer, from the Ministry of Health and Human Services. He's establishing a new medical organization called the Hands of Asclepius.
Nice to meet you. So, what is this "Hands of Asclepius?"
It's the company I founded for the sole purpose of creating more skilled doctors, like yourself. Of course, if you were interested, we'd be happy to welcome you aboard, Dr. Stiles.

Not this again...

...No thank you. I'm content working here.

At least Derek's answer is firm this time.

Mr. Mercer... I'd appreciate it if you refrained from recruiting our top surgeons.
Haha, but Dr. Stiles should be able to make his own choices, wouldn't you agree?

*Beeping sound*

Still, you of all people should know it's bad form to-- Hm...? Excuse me for a moment. This is Sidney. ...Is it an emergency? What's her condition...? I'm sorry, you're breaking up... DId you say PGS in her stomach!? Alright, get her to the O.R.! Derek, I know you just got back, but can I trust you with this operation?
...Yes, I can handle it.
...Alright. Then, it's in your hands. Hurry over to the operating room, please!
Yes, sir!
Hmm... What a perfect opportunity. Would it be possible for me to observe the operation?
Of course.
Do you think I will have the honor of witnessing the famed Healing Touch?
Let's just wait and see...

This patient has been infected with GUILT before and is currently suffering from tumors inside her stomach as an effect of PGS. There is one objective for this operation:
  • Excise and extract all tumors from the stomach.
But, it appears that blood pools are also starting to form, so we'll need to drain them while extracting the tumors.
And Doctor... I know we have a government official observing us, but please try not to get distracted.
Thanks, Angie. All we need to do is concentrate on who's in front of us, right?
...You got it!

Operation Video

Let's do our best, Doctor.

Here's a drinking game if you're itching for a visit to the hospital: take a shot for every blood pool in the video.

There are multiple tumors present. Please be sure to treat all of them. PGS has set in as well, so don't forget to inject the sedative.

In this operation, the tumors will create blood pools until they're removed. It's how you can tell where they are without the ultrasound.

They also create small tumors, which might create more blood pools. The blood pools themselves can create even more blood pools.

If you value your health (and money depending on where you live), don't do that drinking game.

Treatment of the affected area is complete, but... her vitals aren't stable yet. There may be more tumors. Let's find them with the magnification tool.

So we pick the magnification tool...

A blood pool formed! There are definitely tumors left...
Find the hidden tumors with the magnification tool, Doctor!

No! The patient is undergoing cardiac arrest!

So we have to use the defibrillator. How tumors in the stomach can cause cardiac arrest is beyond me :eng99:

Ah, Healing Touch. How I've missed you :allears:

It's a good time to use it because the patient will periodically go into cardiac arrest, which tank the vitals.

It raises the vitals instead if it was below 20, but that is a risky move considering all the tumors around.

There's 1 tumor on the left side and 3 tumors on the right. A convulsion occurs after we treat them all.

Huh? What's happening!?

Tumor reaction has increased! Please check the areas we've already treated again!

I don't think this is how tumors work :psyduck:

It's possible for cardiac arrest to occur while we're cutting the tumor. I'm not sure if the cytoplasm timer still runs during the resuscitation.

The gimmick of this operation occurs after we remove a tumor.

Blood pools seem to be forming after extracting the tumors. Please use the drain.
What...? Is the drain malfunctioning!?
I-I'll get another drain ready immediately! ...Hang in there!

Glad to be back in Caduceus, where they can't even provide proper working drain :argh:

The drain will return after waiting a bit, and then we remove all 5 tumors that spontaneously form. It feels like cardiac arrest occurs much less often than during last wave.

No more tumors detected... Treatment complete. We were in trouble for a second there, but I'm glad everything turned out alright.

Closing up...

Operation complete. Well done!
...Something wrong, Angie?
It's nothing... I just couldn't help but notice how impressed Chief Mercer was with you... And... I hope you aren't going to consider transferring to the HOA because they'll pay you better...
Ugh, are you kidding!? Not after I finally got to come back here!
I've had enough of transfers!
Haha, I suppose that's true, isn't it?

I think the blood pool limit here only counts the ones made by the tumors periodically since I'm pretty sure there's at least 40 of them.

I've seen footage of it before, but seeing it in person is really something else!
Footage...?
The HOA has been striving to reach his skill level. Of course, there are many who doubt it can be done. At any rate, the war has already begun, and we're doing everything we can to ensure our victory.
Mr. Mercer... What exactly do you mean by that?
This arrived at the Ministry of Health and Human Services. It's a copy, but please, take a look.
A letter...? ...! "There are those who would ask how the deceased shall rise, and what form they shall take. An exercise in futility. What is sown in life can only be reaped through death." I recognize this cryptic prose... Delphi...!?
Yes, the police are still trying to confirm the source, but really, there's no mistaking it. Delphi has resurfaced, and with them, the return of medical terrorism!

...... You must have had your reasons. But, that's of no concern to me anymore.
What? Listen, from now on, I'll-- ...Adel? Why is your stuff all packed up?
...I've decided to resign.
What!? You're going back to Costigar because of this!?
Don't flatter yourself; you're not the reason I'm leaving... I've got bigger plans. I've been invited to participate in the Asclepius Project.
Adel... You're joining the HOA!?

Welp. Bye, Adel :sadwave:

Don't you feel GUILTy for plagiarism?

Tons of blood pools? The drain breaking? Inexplicable cardiac arrests? This operation has them all!

There's no toxicosis there, but we have an extra minute here. Not that you'd need it, but it's still a nice gesture from the developers :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh no, not medical terrorism!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel I'm meant to see Adel's anger as at least a bit justified but like Angie previously I can't.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel I'm meant to see Adel's anger as at least a bit justified but like Angie previously I can't.

Yeah. The writing in this game has a lot of people taking every opportunity to be petty shits and assume the worst

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Contrived misunderstandings are so stupid, I guess it passes for good writing if you don't know what good writing is. On the other hand, it's socially acceptable in Japan to use contrived misunderstandings to punish workers/kids/etc for not giving 100% so the trope may be more believable to those readers.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah Adel is in the same camp as Angie in terms of I can see what they're going for, but it just doesn't work.

Like okay, trusted Derek in specific a ton. And he did save him earlier. So being hurt that he couldn't save you this time...okay. That's fine for some Drama.

But he jumps to the most insane conclusion (I wasn't worthy of having the healing touch used on me) very quickly and seemingly at no point in the intervening months (?) looked into anything surrounding Derek's issues on his own? Or heard any gossip about it? It's dumb enough no one informed him about what happened but not even idle curiosity?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mercer has some incredible facial hair.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

HOA's are NEVER GOOD

Never

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i like adel, but yeah it seems a bit two faced of him to immediately jump to derek deliberately snubbing him. i feel like this part could be adel being shown stewing over it and confused and getting angrier and angrier over time until the update, instead of jumping right to the anger part.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Dr. Stiles! Are you listening!? We have that meeting about the issues with Delphi today!
Huh!? O-Oh, it's you, Angie...
What do you mean, "oh, it's you!?" This meeting is important, and you're spacing out!
Sorry, you're right...
...Still thinking about Dr. Tulba?
Yeah... If I had just been stronger... he wouldn't have gone to the Hands of Asclepius... When I think about it, it's kind of--
Dr. Stiles... He's already left. You can't let it bring you down like this. I understand that you wanted to continue mentoring Dr. Tulba, but--
It doesn't help that we haven't even heard from him since he left...
Well, at least we haven't heard any bad news. Anyway, what are we going to do? That meeting has probably already started.

Angie being supportive!? :aaaaa:

*Alarm rings*

PA System: "Attention Dr. Stiles and Nurse Thompson! Please report to Chief Kasal's office immediately! I repeat, Dr. Stiles and Nurse Thompson to Chief Kasall's office immediately!"

...That's not about us being late to the meeting! What happened!?

A number of employees in her office are thought to have been infected with GUILT.
Inside the company!? What's going on!?
Apparently, they received a letter indicative of an attack, written in Delphi's usual style. ...It's very probable that they're the ones behind this. Acropolis has been participating in the anti-GUILT research; they were a prime target.
...It sounds like the surviving members of Delphi are intent on having their revenge...
We can confirm our suspicions later. Our priority is to treat the infected and prevent the disease from spreading.
Do we know how many people have contracted it so far?
We've been told that two of their staff have been infected, but apparently, they've been isolated. The on-hand medical staff is performing first aid on a few others as well, though. Meet up with them, and make your decisions accordingly.
This isn't the first time you two have been in this situation. I'm sure you'll do fine. But, we'll have a back-up team ready in case anything goes wrong. Keep us informed.
Understood. We'll head out immediately.
Alright, Angie, let's go.

Guard: "You're from Caduceus, right!? Thank you for coming!"

I'm Dr. Stiles and this is Nurse Thompson. We need to start treating the infected immediately.

Guard: "President Mayuzumi is coordinating all treatment. Please head up to her office."

Alright, we need to quarantine the building. Try to keep anyone who isn't authorized out of here. And that includes the paparazzi.

Is there ever a time where a paparazzi is an authorized personnel?

Come on, Angie.

I never thought my company would become the target of terrorists... What am I going to do...?
Please calm down, Ms. Mayuzumi.
Your employees are our highest priority. We're told they've already been isolated... But, what kind of condition are they in?
We have some test results from our private medical staff...
These are the charts, then? ...Chiral reactions confirmed. The readings indicate Tetarti.

This'll be over quickly then! :dance:

Tetarti... We've dealt with that strain of GUILT before. Ms. Mayuzumi, is this facility equipped for surgery?
Yes, we have operating rooms set up for research and treatment.
Then, let's go! Angie, we'll need to get set up quickly!
Understood!
...Wait, there may already be an operation in progress...
What!? Who's performing it!?
Just before you two got here, a doctor from the Hands of Asclepius arrived. I was too busy trying to organize my staff to touch base with him, though...
...What should we do, Doctor?
...We're here to save these people. So, we may end up having to help the HOA doctor. Regardless, we have to hurry!
Y-Yes, Doctor!
I'm counting on you, Dr. Stiles...

The patient is infected with a variation of GUILT called "Tetarti." In fact, it's the same strain that Dr. Kasal became infected with three years ago...
Yeah, I'll never forget that.
Tetarti has a tendency to appear in threes. They create poisonous polyps on the outer layer of the liver that release toxins into the body. There will be one objective for this operation:
  • Eliminate Tetarti.
First, we'll have to treat all the poisonous polyps and force Tetarti's main bodies to surface. If we inject the serum into all three Tetarti before they can burrow again we should be able to stop them from moving altogether. But, each of them needs to be injected with a specific serum... Make sure to inject the same-colored serum into the corresponding Tetarti body.
So, our treatment methods for this GUILT haven't changed since the last time we fought it.
That's true, but don't let your guard down, Doctor. The three viral bodies are synchronized. They'll only stay visible for a short period of time... And on top of that, the serum cannot be injected until they turn white. You must work quickly.
Understood. (But... something's bothering me. Is this really--)
...Doctor?
Sorry, I was just thinking to myself.

Operation Video

Alright Doctor, let's get started.

These toxic diverticula are very distinct... It's definitely Tetarti! Let's treat them before they become active and release their toxins. First, inject the matching colored serum into the diverticulum. That will make it excisable. Lastly, we'll use the forceps to extract it and apply a synthetic membrane over the wound.

:eng101: Diverticulum (singular of diverticula) is an abnormal sac formed at the wall of the alimentary (digestion) passage.

There's a patient in UtK with Tetarti in the lung, so the definition doesn't work there. It mostly attacks the liver, though.

The diverticula will release toxins if we let them grow big enough. Removing them is the same as removing a tumor except we inject the corresponding serum instead of draining them.

Treatment of all toxic diverticula complete. Tetarti will surface now to try and regenerate the diverticula. Inject the matching colored serum into the three Tetarti quickly!

GUILT strain 3: Tetarti (Wednesday)
By far the easiest GUILT, even easier than any Stigma. If everything goes well, all we need is the syringe, which is the same tool as the stabilizer. This eliminates the need to switch tools, which is one of the reason this operation is insanely easy.

Tetarti will appear colored for 2 seconds before turning white. We can't inject them while they're colored. The game tells you this in the briefing, but it's pretty easy to miss.

Speaking of miss, it's also easy to get a Miss since Tetarti can turn quickly. It's no threat to the vitals, so all this will hurt is your patience if you're going for XS. They move breaststroke-style, so it's best to inject them while they're stopped.

Taking too long to inject them will cause them to hide again, negating the effects on the already-injected Tetarti. They will then show up again and do the whole thing over. There's no penalty other than wasted time and the vitals lost during the failed rounds, which is another reason this operation is insanely easy.

Injecting incorrectly will cause them to create more diverticula. Unlike before, the actual Tetarti will still move around. It's not a huge issue since there's no penalty for ignoring the Tetarti.

If we inject them all in time, they will hide (not negating the effects this time) and do the whole thing over. After a few cylcles of this...

Wh-What the-- A new color of Tetarti!? drat, did this one mutate too!?
Dr. Stiles! Here!
Huh...? I've never seen this serum before...
While you were at Hope Hospital, we were treated a patient infected with Tetarti... A pre-mature type of this mutation was extracted, and Dr. Niguel created this serum from it.

There's an episode in UtK/SO where we go around getting 3 samples from immature Tetarti.

It's convenient that we don't have to do it again. Convenient enough that I'm willing to ignore Angie neglecting to mention this during the briefing.

Wow, good thing we were thinking ahead! Let's put it to use!
Yes, it can be used in the same way as the others. Inject it into the matching Tetarti body.
Alright! Let's continue with the operation!

There's 4 colors, but still 3 Tetarti. This means that there are 4 times as many color combinations, which makes this operation 4 times harder.

4 times 0 is still 0, though :buddy:

Tetarti (and Pempti) bubbles are exclusive to UtK, sadly :(

With Tetarti defeated, we do the usual closing up...

Operation complete. Well done, Doctor!
We really owe Dr. Niguel for this one...
But, I'm more concerned about how the other infected employee's operation is going.
I agree. President Mayuzumi said a doctor from the HOA should be performing it...
We should go check on his progress, Angie. Just in case.
Right, Doctor!

As long as you don't miss or inject the wrong color, getting XS is practically guaranteed.

Yes, he's going to pull through... But what about the other infected patient?
...He's being operated on in room five as we speak...
Then, the operation isn't over yet?
I don't believe so...
What should we do, Dr. Stiles? Should we ask to take over?
...No, if it's going smoothly, there's no need for us to do that. I'm sure the Hands of Asclepius sent in a doctor with at least some knowledge of GUILT.
Well, there's an observation room attached to room five. Would you like to watch the procedure?
...Yes, that's a good idea. Angie, be ready to step in at any time. Something could still go wrong.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gee wonder who the doctor might be!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

Gee wonder who the doctor might be!

Wow, I was thinking the same thing. It's almost as if this plot twist is blatantly obvious.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wow, I was thinking the same thing. It's almost as if this plot twist is blatantly obvious.

Maybe the twist is its some other doctor and THEN adel comes in to finish the job

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man the HoA works loving fast if they're already getting people to treat mutated GUILT

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It's fine...
The patient's chart just came in. IT looks like this is the same type of GUILT as Tetarti, and it seems to have infected the liver.
I see... Hey... That's...!?

Adel!?
Dr. Tulba...!?

Gasp! Shock! Who could have seen this coming!? :psyduck:

...Besides people in the thread, I mean.

Oh? Is that who the Hands of Asclepius sent?
...You know him?
Yes, the HOA and my company are performing joint research and Dr. Tulba has cooperated with us a number of times already.
What do you mean by--
Doctor! Look at the way Dr. Tulba is moving!
What!? Is he using--!?

*A familiar sound effect*

That speed! Adel has never been able to work that fast!

But, how?
I don't know... It's still unrefined... but that's definitely the Healing Touch!

The game never goes into what it means by "unrefined".

Dr. Tulba is capable of that!? I heard it was being looked into, but I never imagined it would work!
Adel, what happened to you...!?

...Ms. Mayuzumi. I have a favor to ask. Please, let us speak with Adel.
Yes, of course... He's actually on his way here.

Intercom: "President Mayuzumi, Dr. Tulba is here to see you."

See him in.

Dr. Tulba, I'm amazed at how far along your operating skills have come!
Yes, it's all thanks to you and Acropolis.
Adel...
Ah, Dr. Stiles and Nurse Thompson. Long time no see.
Dr. Tulba... Your English has also really come a long way.

Nobody will ever acknowledge Angie's last statement.

...Ability enhancement program?
Dr. Stiles, you saw me use the Healing Touch, correct? I take that back, I've only just begun to use it, so I can't really call it the Healing Touch yet...
That's not true. I could tell very clearly that you were invoking it...
I never imagined a day would come where I would have that power at my disposal. ...The cooperative work being done by the HOA and Acropolis has made a lot of progress.
Dr. Tulba, perhaps we shouldn't divulge too much about it before it's fully complete...
It's alright, President Mayuzumi. The project's completion is just around the corner, and I'm proof! My growh as a doctor under the training of Caduceus never could have reached these heights... But the HOA has changed both my body, and my image of myself as a doctor.
Your... body and image...?
First, they strengthened my body--mainly my nervous system--with a new, perfectly safe medication. After that, they channeled the neural movement data from the Healing Touch directly into me. In other words, the image I needed to perform the Healing Touch was acquired physically.
Wait... That neural data from the Healing Touch...! Where did you--

If you remember, the HT was activated automatically in that operation.

...I never imagined it would come into use so soon...
Wait... Then that means you stole the Healing Touch directly from Dr. Stiles!
Stole!? How can you put it in such terms!? We're in this together, to save lives! In actuality, what we've done here is created more doctors with the power to fight against GUILT. And I believe I mentioned that the data would be used to help other doctors!
...Isn't that right, Dr. Stiles?
...Y-You did say something like that...
You should be delighted that such an amazing doctor has emerged from this. After the GUILT attack today by those Delphi madmen... Who can say when or where they'll attempt to strike next?
That's true...
At the HOA, more doctors like myself are being supplemented in order to use the Healing Touch. Chief Mercer is indeed a man with a vision and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him. I dare say he is giving me the power to rival that of a god! Dr. Stiles... the Healing Touch is not just yours anymore.

I see nobody is remembers about Naomi.

Adel, you're--
I've done what I came to do, President Mayuzumi. Please excuse me.
Dr. Tulba, thank you so much for your work today. I'll personally extend my thanks to Mr. Mercer.

*Adel leaves*

And thank you two, as well.
No, unlike some, we aren't done here. We still need to keep an eye on the patient's condition...
It will also be necessary to take precautions against any further GUILT infections.
You're right. I'll leave what needs to be done to your discretion. ...Dr. Stiles. Even though the bold ideas of Chief Mercer and his Asclepius Project are making waves... I hope that the relationship between us and Caduceus will continue to be a fruitful one. Let's keep doing what we can.

Welp. Apparently the Healing Touch can now be manufactured through questionable means. And Adel hates us now. Can this get any worse?

Oh. Of course it can.

How far will that Mercer bastard go!?
Some extreme measures seem to have been taken in response to the fear created by Delphi's terrorism... He's being officially released on parole... But only on the condition that he'll be completely supervised by the Hands of Asclepius.
That means he can leave the prison now without restrictions... And on top of that, he'll receive more funding to continue his research. How this will affect our own GUILT research remains--
It's going to go up in flames, that's how! And new variations of GUILT could still pop up, too! Dammit, how am I going to fix this...
...And how are we going to tell Derek and Angie about it...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The funny thing is, if they could safely reproduce the Healing Touch (emphasis on safely, and I can already tell that isn't the case here the second they go into 'changed my body') you'd think that would be something to celebrate. I'm sure the characters are only so instantly suspicious because everyone involved in the HOA and Mayuzumi's corporation is incredibly shady and obviously evil, but if it was just a matter of 'study how Derrick does it, teach people to do it' it would be a good thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love how this is so shady that even Mayuzumi, who has been incredibly shady until this point, is clearly taken off-guard by it. Even when this was a project she herself was working on. There's clearly a lot wrong here and it'll likely lead to some bad things.

That said, getting angry at Adel having the Healing Touch is...bizarre. If Derek really does want to help doctors everywhere, the idea that it was stolen for him is really off.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

So many fragments of a better story. If only they tried framing this in a "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" kind of lens. Play up that the Healing Touch may be fleeting depending on unknown factors, and keep everything else as shady as hell.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Also Adel sure got cocky in a hurry considering the original reason we went to observe was because he was taking a long time. Seems like he had some trouble with the operation and triggering the Touch

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

1234567890num posted:

At the HOA, more doctors like myself are being supplemented in order to use the Healing Touch. Chief Mercer is indeed a man with a vision and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him. I dare say he is giving me the power to rival that of a god! Dr. Stiles... the Healing Touch is not just yours anymore.

Calling it now, Adel goes evil and/or insane, acquires a god complex, and becomes the final boss where he actively fucks with a surgery ala Ninetales in Okami.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nah the final boss is clearly going to be that red-eyed ghoul guy found wandering around the restricted ward seconds before everything went to poo poo.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

You know when Adel was first introduced I thought he'd naturally develop the healing touch and would be co-protagonist

Then, when Derrick had his breakdown, I thought we'd shift over to Adel until end game (with Darrick's cenario being a bonus post-game thing).

Little did I know that Drama was the name of the game!

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013

rannum posted:

You know when Adel was first introduced I thought he'd naturally develop the healing touch and would be co-protagonist

Not on a single-player platform like the DS! (I'd say something about how that'd make him Valerie 2.0, but given how many operations are copy/pasted from New Blood already...)

I have comments on Adel in relation to stuff the game is trying to say, but the specifics might be better saved for later.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

1234567890num posted:

First, they strengthened my body--mainly my nervous system--with a new, perfectly safe medication.

Hmm, you know, for some reason I doubt this? :v:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
“Perfectly safe medication”. Suuuuuuure. Next you’re gonna tell me Acropolis isn’t evil

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Let's Play a game! It's called "Spot the Bullshit."

Can someone spot the bullshit?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

one minute :suspense:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Yes Adel, brand new PERFECTLY SAFE drugs with no known human use studies are just fine to MAINLINE BEFORE PERFORMING DELICATE SURGERY.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Yes Adel, brand new PERFECTLY SAFE drugs with no known human use studies are just fine to MAINLINE BEFORE PERFORMING DELICATE SURGERY.

Just hook it to my veins!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Snorb posted:

Just hook it to my veins!

*injects chemicals into monkey, monkey creates a healing touch."

: Good enough for me! *Turns around to leave*

*Monkey explodes*

: Huh, what a weird coincidence! *leaves*

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what caliber gun was used to pierce through the body, but not all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder what caliber gun was used to pierce through the body, but not all the way through.

Pretty much any handgun hollow-point bullet won't over-penetrate like that, and most non-rifle bullets won't either if shot from a fair distance away (especially if the bullet hits a rib and tumbles, which is probably how a bullet gets close to the heart without killing you in seconds.)