Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Gonna start this soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CobiWann posted:

I don't know how out of date the OP is, but what are the must have mods to play The Witcher 3 in the YOOL 2020?

Also, my friend just discovered the vampire in the sewers after something like five or six playthroughs. "Then gently caress off" still cracks me up.

The list in the second post is pretty good. The only gameplay mods I generally advocate are colored map markers, no fall damage, jump in shallow water, and map all objectives. Minimal changes to the base, all QoL stuff.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shooting Blanks posted:

The list in the second post is pretty good. The only gameplay mods I generally advocate are colored map markers, no fall damage, jump in shallow water, and map all objectives. Minimal changes to the base, all QoL stuff.

Agreed, anything beyond that is stuff you need to have experience with the game to know you want to change.

There are also a ton of graphics options, but the base game is very pretty on its own, so again I'd advise playing a bit before changing a lot of stuff so you can dial it in right.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CobiWann posted:

I don't know how out of date the OP is, but what are the must have mods to play The Witcher 3 in the YOOL 2020?

Also, my friend just discovered the vampire in the sewers after something like five or six playthroughs. "Then gently caress off" still cracks me up.

There are no "must have" mods.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The only necessary mod is the fast travel anywhere mod because it generates good thread content.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hobo Clown posted:

Will there be a TVIV thread for the show or is this where the discussion will be?

Yeah, I put one up the other day if anyone wants to join the discussion there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The tv thread will probably be a lot more stingy with spoilers since not everyone who watches the show will have played the games. And the games, while accessible to newcomers, also treat the events of the books as known facts. So people getting shocked that Ciri is Emhyr's daughter will be a thing in TVIV even I it's common knowledge to this thread.

So basically this is the spoiler thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

The tv thread will probably be a lot more stingy with spoilers since not everyone who watches the show will have played the games. And the games, while accessible to newcomers, also treat the events of the books as known facts. So people getting shocked that Ciri is Emhyr's daughter will be a thing in TVIV even I it's common knowledge to this thread.

:yeah:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

We should get a thread title change.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If I don't get full frontal Henry Cavil I'm asking for a refund. First CDPR caved and removed Geralts dick before release but this would be too much to bear.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tonight's the night!
It's actually already well into the 20th in Australia but we have to wait for it to be the 20th in the US.
Why are you so behind? :buddy:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Helith posted:

Tonight's the night!
It's actually already well into the 20th in Australia but we have to wait for it to be the 20th in the US.
Why are you so behind? :buddy:

The worst part is it going off of Pacific time, probably because Netflix is LA based. I love it when a streaming service goes off Eastern or GMT or some poo poo instead. I don't want to wait til midnight!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It’s available on Netflix in Poland right now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is real good so far.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Gonna copy what I said in the TV IV thread

quote:

First episode appears to be mostly/entirely based on The Lesser Evil. Which is good because if you were going to pick it an entry point into The Witcher, it's the best one.

quote:

Cavill does seem super stiff. When he's giving his little "Evil is evil" speech to Stregobor, he turns like he can't bend his waist.

I also find it amusing that the show is trying to ride the line between being based on the books and existing because the games were popular. The Wild Hunt just got namedropped for no good reason.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I enjoyed the first episode, it got better in the second half I thought. Highlight was Geralt talking to Roach. Renfri was great and I assume the Nilfgaardian soldier was Cahir. Still not sure about the raisin armour though.
Fight scenes looked really good and I thought Cavill got Geralt just right in tone and manner.
Loved the music, it really reminded me of the games music.
We will definitely watch more.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Early reviews seem to fall into 2 categories. People who are familiar with the source material, even passingly, seem to enjoy it and people who had no idea what it was are calling it a miss.

That's not too surprising, as it would have been difficult to impossible for Netflix to make both camps happy, so the real question will be if there are enough preexisting fans to justify a second season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

There's a couple people unfamiliar with the series in the TVIV thread who are really digging it. I imagine most people who like fantasy will probably get into this. Whether it grabs a wide audience like GoT did will remain to be seen tho

e: starting up episode 4 now. the timeline feels weird b/c poo poo isn't happening concurrently, but i'm really enjoying this a lot. there's one big change to yen's backstory that really bums me out but otherwise poo poo is drat faithful so far imo

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Larger battles look like another dumb clueless Hollywood designs, where enemies magically form into pairs to slug it out. Kind of like GoT, but GRRM doesn’t pretend like he has any idea how medieval battle looks like, and Sapkowski seemed to have some. The whole big battle sequence wasn’t really necessary anyway. Other than that I’m hooked after first episode, will binge through the weekend.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Going by the tv thread impressions, don’t like the sound of them doing things non-lineary.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Avalerion posted:

Going by the tv thread impressions, don’t like the sound of them doing things non-lineary.

They are and they aren't. Geralt's story is linear. So are Yen and Ciri's. But Ciri's is set in the present, Geralt's is set mostly before that, and Yen's starts out even further back before advancing to more where Geralt is. There's quite a few lines in each episode referencing stuff to make it clear diff POVs are at diff points in time. It's a bit weird at first, but I honestly really like it. It's probably the best way to tell the stories of all 3 leads without having to skip past all the short stories. I imagine by end of season they'll all be caught up to eachother.

Granted I haven't finished, so they could mess with the order of events in some weird way, but idk I doubt it judging by the hints they put out with the episode titles.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CobiWann posted:

Auto-Apply Oils is close to must-have. I can imagine playing without it, but I can't imagine playing without it and going through the :effort: to switch up oils.

The mod that removes the minimap and changes it so that it only comes up when you turn on witcher senses is very nice, but not must-have. I played most of the game without it, but when I installed it, I wished I had had it from the start.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I loved the first episode but wish they kept The Lesser Evil closer to the book. The whole thing about that was the entire crowd watched him butcher Renfri’s 7 men without knowing they were in danger. Here all 7 brandish their weapons and the town seeing him drop them in 3 seconds is lost, and that was the reason he earned his nickname.

Edit: holy gently caress episode 3!!!!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 20, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ermion is such a better name than Mousesack.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Dandelion's "Toss a Coin to the Witcher" at the end of ep. 2 feels like it would make a rad 80's power ballad.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm only two episodes in but I am loving it so far. I played the games then read the books afterwards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apart from a few set changes The Lesser Evil was drat near perfect. It just needed the conversation about cambric underwear to be done full justice.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

chaosapiant posted:

I loved the first episode but wish they kept The Lesser Evil closer to the book. The whole thing about that was the entire crowd watched him butcher Renfri’s 7 men without knowing they were in danger. Here all 7 brandish their weapons and the town seeing him drop them in 3 seconds is lost, and that was the reason he earned his nickname.

Edit: holy gently caress episode 3!!!!

So was this the event where Geralt got one of his names "The Butcher of Blevakin?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apart from a few set changes The Lesser Evil was drat near perfect. It just needed the conversation about cambric underwear to be done full justice.

I wish I agreed. I’m loving the show so far, 4 episodes in. But I really wanted the whole “Tridem Ultimatum” from the short story in the show.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

theblackw0lf posted:

So was this the event where Geralt got one of his names "The Butcher of Blevakin?"

Yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt's armour does look pretty stiff but at least it's trying to look like a brigandine with riveted metal plates unlike whatever the hell they wear on Last Kingdom or Vikings.

And the Cintrian armour looks pretty good and definitely has some Spanish vibes with the morion styled helmets. Plus theyre wearing gambesons underneath the plate which o appreciate.

I don't usually harp on shows or movies for having silly looking armour and weapons but the Witcher games have had some of the best looking realistic armours ever (apart from esoteric Witcher gear like the tacticool chainmail turtleneck) so I'm happy the show is putting some effort into keeping outfits grounded.

Ballsack armour notwithstanding.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ehhh I wasn't a fan. So far they've done a great job of The Witcher and A Question of Price, but The Lesser Evil felt really rushed. If I hadn't already read the short story I'd have been completely lost about who these people are and why they want each other dead. The backstory felt tacked on in favour of spending half the episode on Ciri. I don't think it was a good choice for a pilot either - The Witcher gives the audience a lot more information about who Geralt is and the basics of his job and how poo poo works.

I don't really know why they bothered adapting The Edge of the World. It was trimmed down to a few scenes and it was ridiculously dull and inconsequential - same as it was in the book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing about The Lesser Evil is that there's really not a lot to the story, so I appreciate that they kept it in but didn't try to drag out the plot to a full hour when that story has maybe thirty minutes to it, tops. I do think the first episode could have been tightened up rather than throwing us right into Ciri's story, but I'll take what I can get. Few TV shows have perfect pilot episodes, but I really liked what I saw with Geralt.

Also
https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/the-witcher-4-looks-even-more-likely-as-cd-projekt-signs-a-new-agreement-with-original-creator/

CDPR and Sapkowski signed a new agreement allowing CDPR to continue using the brand.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 20, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

stev posted:

Ehhh I wasn't a fan. So far they've done a great job of The Witcher and A Question of Price, but The Lesser Evil felt really rushed. If I hadn't already read the short story I'd have been completely lost about who these people are and why they want each other dead. The backstory felt tacked on in favour of spending half the episode on Ciri. I don't think it was a good choice for a pilot either - The Witcher gives the audience a lot more information about who Geralt is and the basics of his job and how poo poo works.

I don't really know why they bothered adapting The Edge of the World. It was trimmed down to a few scenes and it was ridiculously dull and inconsequential - same as it was in the book.

The Edge of the World seems like it was used primarily for exposition regarding the elves and magic in general. It served it's purpose in that regard. I liked the humor of the short story where Geralt is getting the poo poo kicked out of him crawling through these crops trying to grab Torque. But so far, each episode is better than the last, with Episode 3 and 4 really showing what this show can do. The casting for Calanthe was loving spot on and I like how they don't reveal that they're jumping around in time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Last Wish was done q u i t e w e l l.

Show good. Yen good. Have two episodes left to watch tonight.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the the quest 'the deus in the machina', theres an opinional objective to destroy archespore seedlings with igni.

On the switch version, there were 8, 4 in each alcove. But examining them and burning them doesn't clear the objective.

Then I watch a YouTube video of that same quest on pc, and each alcove has 7 boxes to burn each, and the objective completes as normal.

I think some seedling boxes were removed in the switch version to lower the stress on the system, but they forgot to reduce the number you needed to burn to clear the optional objective.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

The thing about The Lesser Evil is that there's really not a lot to the story, so I appreciate that they kept it in but didn't try to drag out the plot to a full hour when that story has maybe thirty minutes to it, tops. I do think the first episode could have been tightened up rather than throwing us right into Ciri's story, but I'll take what I can get. Few TV shows have perfect pilot episodes, but I really liked what I saw with Geralt.

Also
https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/the-witcher-4-looks-even-more-likely-as-cd-projekt-signs-a-new-agreement-with-original-creator/

CDPR and Sapkowski signed a new agreement allowing CDPR to continue using the brand.

Witcher loving four, come on!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I expected trash and ep 3 loving whipped rear end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also

I wonder if they'll keep it character driven or if they'll take some ideas from writing cyberpunk and let you roll your own witcher from some forgotten school
It would probably work super well because everyone would just call you "the witcher" then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Seen first episode, not impressed. Very generic, very uninspired, like they went with the most obvious and safest choice for every possible creative decision. Also Cavill sucks a lot and is outclassed by the animated video game character in everything including expressiveness and emotional nuance.