Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm a gregghead through and through but even I will admit that he's been slipping the past couple seasons unless you want to know runtimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
General opinion on OS X? Watching now, not one of the great seasons. Lots of weird stuff with the VR storyline and too many popcorn classics in the last few episodes. Still amazing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the general plot of Tim slowly losing all control over On Cinema but yeah, it didn't grab me as much. I actually think season 9 was also kind of a dip. Not that either was bad, but I think the peak of the show has been seasons 6/7. Though I think season 11 really rebounded.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The feeling of utter futility the audience feels (via Gregg as proxy) as Dr. San keeps coming and going and coming again and Tim keeps realigning his opinions to however the wind is blowing that moment is one of the most gripping dynamics I've ever seen

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Watching Tim get gradually more desperate over the course of season X, particularly in the episodes where Gregg is in control, is great.

I think the big challenge with the season is that they had sort of written themselves into a corner with the trial, where Tim had finally begun to face real consequences for being the kind of person he is, and the whole season had to be spent with him running away from that rather than getting into any new schemes or personality gimmicks. But they sort of had to get through it for the universe to make any sense.

If they do follow through with dropping Dekkar after this season I think it could similarly allow them to open plotlines up a bit more. That's been a big part of Tim's character for four years now, which is longer than any other plotlines. They might have felt like they had mined all they could from it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's always a new and better version of empty bottle on the horizon

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ingmar terdman posted:

There's always a new and better version of empty bottle on the horizon

Like Dr. San, until they are dead, there will always been reunions and redemptions.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah On Cinema X is definitely the season I rewatch the least, mostly because the VR stuff is so hard to watch. It’s like, I get the joke after about 10 seconds.

I do love the last few Gregg-led episodes that are all Popcorn Classics with Gregg having the smuggest look on his face until Tim has his meltdown.

“I’m up on the 6th street bridge - if I jump I’m in HELL!” is a great line.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah On Cinema X is definitely the season I rewatch the least, mostly because the VR stuff is so hard to watch. It’s like, I get the joke after about 10 seconds.

I do love the last few Gregg-led episodes that are all Popcorn Classics with Gregg having the smuggest look on his face until Tim has his meltdown.

“I’m up on the 6th street bridge - if I jump I’m in HELL!” is a great line.

I have PSVR and still have not watched the VR episodes, I assume they actually work with a VR headset and not just watching some guy sit with a dumb face for 20 minutes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I honestly liked on cinema x a lot :shrug:
But i am weird, like, i wasnt a huge fan of Mister America and would put it under every OC season
It was fine, def had some laughs and great callbacks, but watching Tim kinda meander around pretending to be a chud politician in a fake sacha baron cohen type film for however long it was....it didnt really entertain or interest me as much as the main show and the oscar specials.
Dont get me wrong, i liked it a lot (watching tim just burping, yelling, and spilling beers will always be at least a little funny), just not as much as literally everything else in On Cinema.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

pixaal posted:

Like Dr. San, until they are dead, there will always been reunions and redemptions.

Dr. San lives and did nothing wrong

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
These guys are REMARKABLE at finding actors with the most punchable faces:
Mark Porch, the director of Ant-Man, the director of Mister America, the representative from Chilli's Bullshit Chilli & Gas Station Snaxx.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Mark Porch, the director of Ant-Man, the director of Mister America, the representative from Chilli's Bullshit Chilli & Gas Station Snaxx.

I don’t know if you’re joking but the actor playing the director of ant man is the actual director of ant man and the actor playing the director of mister america is the actual director of on cinema.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I know that buddy, point stands, they have stupid looking faces

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

mark rocks

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Not the On Cinema character Mark Porch

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
only a bully would want to punch mark

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Name the person being impersonated:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the trial with the star trek 2/4 writer describing which one is set in SF and then the perfectly mixed "no, no" from gregg in the background is the peak at this point, to me

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Deniro

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

huh posted:

Name the person being impersonated:

Has to be either Robert Deniro or Jack Nicholson.

abigserve posted:

the trial with the star trek 2/4 writer describing which one is set in SF and then the perfectly mixed "no, no" from gregg in the background is the peak at this point, to me

I still want to hear at some point how they went about getting Nicholas Meyer to be on, and what he thought of it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Has to be either Robert Deniro or Jack Nicholson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80G38bxPeyI&t=338s

"I don't think I like the looka you batman. From joker"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Holy poo poo, the new episode of Office Hours has insane energy levels. I'm only 30 minutes into it and there's 90 minutes to go and I don't know how they could possibly keep this level of maniacal energy up for it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I honestly liked on cinema x a lot :shrug:
But i am weird, like, i wasnt a huge fan of Mister America and would put it under every OC season
It was fine, def had some laughs and great callbacks, but watching Tim kinda meander around pretending to be a chud politician in a fake sacha baron cohen type film for however long it was....it didnt really entertain or interest me as much as the main show and the oscar specials.
Dont get me wrong, i liked it a lot (watching tim just burping, yelling, and spilling beers will always be at least a little funny), just not as much as literally everything else in On Cinema.

I liked it but it didn't really feel like a movie, it was more like that final 2 hour Nathan For You episode, maybe not quite as good though (of course, what is?)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

JAMOOOL posted:

I liked it but it didn't really feel like a movie, it was more like that final 2 hour Nathan For You episode, maybe not quite as good though (of course, what is?)

So this is a funny and insightful comment because I saw an interview with Tim where he says they showed a rough draft of the initial footage to Nathan Fielder and he was the person who really insisted they turn it into a feature length movie. I got the impression, or maybe Tim said it, that Nathan regretted not trying to do the same with his finale special.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What do you mean? Nathan did do the feature length finale.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

ICHIBAHN posted:

What do you mean? Nathan did do the feature length finale.

Sorry by feature length I just meant to say feature ie, a real movie that gets shown in movie theatres. Originally Mister America was going to be more like The Trial or maybe a longform special shown on Adult Swim.

e:

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 9, 2020

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ahh gotcha!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nathan's finale got props from errol morris and I go rewatch it in a theater tonight

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So having finished the most recent Office Hours, it ends with Tim saying that there won't be a new one for the next few months due to the Mandatory Attendance Tour, but when he gets back, he's aiming for a full eight hour, 9:00-5:00 podcast on Friday, March 13. He seemed pretty serious, not doing it as a bit. So something to look forward to,.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I absolutely loved Finding Frances BTW

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

New Tim & Eric show coming to Adult Swim this year! "Beef House".

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/tim-and-eric-new-show-beef-house-adult-swim-938271/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That looks like the setup for an Awesome Show skit. I like their sitcom spoofs but I don't know if they can carry an entire show on a single premise. I could see maybe 4-5 episodes from most of the stuff. We'll see, I don't see more than 1-2 seasons coming from this. Tim and Eric are also pretty good at ending stuff when they run out of ideas, I'd watch another season of pretty much anything but Our Bodies. I just don't get that one, I mean I do, but it doesn't work for me it's not funny. I find the doctor to be sad and he comes off as a chill / hack which is probably the point, I just don't find it funny.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sounds like an expanded Just 3 Boyz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfYFq7ThMZw

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Pierre is back baby! Alright!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I'm watching this interview with Gregg about Entertainment, an art housey movie he did a few years ago, and check out this part where he nerds out about Frank Sinatra Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhXLZNL4IQ&t=572s

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I'm watching this interview with Gregg about Entertainment, an art housey movie he did a few years ago, and check out this part where he nerds out about Frank Sinatra Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhXLZNL4IQ&t=572s

For any of you Sinatra-Heads out there; this is a real treat.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Anyone going to the show tomorrow night in Phoenix?

My wife is vehemently against T&E and everyone else is busy and I really don’t want to be that weirdo who goes solo although if you’re going to be a solo weirdo at a show, this is probably as good of a venue as any.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1225162289252356103

THAT IS ALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I've got the Oscer Fever.

And the only cure is that sweet, sweet Oscer Gold.