Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
My father made me read Stoll's book "Silicon Snake Oil" because he also thought the internet was a dumb fad

Wikipedia posted:

In Silicon Snake Oil and an accompanying article, The Internet? Bah!, in Newsweek Stoll called the prospect of e-commerce "baloney," and raised questions about the influence of the Internet on future society and whether it would be beneficial. Along the way, he made various predictions, e.g. about e-commerce (calling it nonviable due to a lack of personal contact and secure online funds transfers), the future of printed news publications ("no online database will replace your daily newspaper") and the cost of digitizing books would be too expensive since only 200 books had been digitized at the time

more

https://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306

Stoll posted:

Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems. And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.

Baloney.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

quote:

And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.

Baloney.

Well, he was right about this at least.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DrPossum posted:

My father made me read Stoll's book "Silicon Snake Oil" because he also thought the internet was a dumb fad

more

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRNp5a2joBo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean he's right the internet sucks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also if you want more old cliff stoll, here's CLIFF STOLL, NEW-AGE DETECTIVE, TONIGHT ON NOVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTx9h3Sm29I

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/02/china-brings-in-mandatory-facial-recognition-for-mobile-phone-users

quote:

All mobile phone users in China registering new SIM cards must submit to facial recognition scans, according to a new rule that went into effect across the country on Sunday.

whoa I missed this one

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wuwo

https://www.zdnet.com/article/wawa-says-pos-malware-incident-impacts-potentially-all-locations/

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should at least ban all use of magnetic stripe cards/readers and give people different numbers to use online that aren't printed or encoded in the cards. It's dumb that despite all the effort to switch to chip cards it's still possible to steal the data to use however its being used.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

They should at least ban all use of magnetic stripe cards/readers and give people different numbers to use online that aren't printed or encoded in the cards. It's dumb that despite all the effort to switch to chip cards it's still possible to steal the data to use however its being used.

my bank used to have a feature where you could generate a cc number with arbitrary expiration and credit limit for use online, and i wrote one of the generated numbers onto a blank card and used it at a gas station just for kicks once. they dumped it a few months ago which was kind of annoying but on the other hand, the generator required flash so on the whole i may be better off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

my bank used to have a feature where you could generate a cc number with arbitrary expiration and credit limit for use online, and i wrote one of the generated numbers onto a blank card and used it at a gas station just for kicks once. they dumped it a few months ago which was kind of annoying but on the other hand, the generator required flash so on the whole i may be better off.
Capital One apparently still has something like this but it's a browser extension with a "virtual assistant" that will offer to generate the numbers when you're on a check out page and no way in hell am I going to install that.

It would be nice if we could use different numbers for each transaction or something like TOTP codes instead of the static CCV but I was literally just talking about one separate, static card number for internet transactions so that it's at least impossible for someone to copy your number from the physical card.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 20, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Capital One apparently still has something like this but it's a browser extension with a "virtual assistant" that will offer to generate the numbers when you're on a check out page and no way in hell am I going to install that.

It would be nice if we could use different numbers for each transaction or something like TOTP codes instead of the static CCV but I was literally just talking about one separate, static card number for internet transactions so that it's at least impossible for someone to copy your number from the physical card.

iirc there’s something in the pci spec that requires a human readable number on the card for offline processing (power outage at grocery store or similar). been a while since i had to mess with payment cards so i may be wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DrPossum posted:

more

lol

he was 100% right about all of that though

his one mistake was assuming that the old good stuff would stick around, rather than being replaced by worthless garbage no one likes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

he was 100% right about all of that though

his one mistake was assuming that the old good stuff would stick around, rather than being replaced by worthless garbage no one likes

he was right about the internet becoming an open sewer of unverifiable data

the part about physical retail thriving because "we need salespeople"... not so much

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

oof

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Looking forward to memorizing my credit card number again

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

heh well it’s good that I replaced the card I use since I’ve been to wawa

not because of a breach but because I put it in my mailbox because I’m dumb and thought I lost it

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

great, nice, i go to wawa all the time. chaos reigns

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

It would be nice if we could use different numbers for each transaction or something like TOTP codes instead of the static CCV

this is basically what happens when you use a tokenized system like apple pay

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that article seems to say the malware was on the point of sale, but the actual wawa release says "servers" and then "in-store payment processing systems" which is weird

also the special customer hotline they set up to answer questions is contracted out to experian, because of course experian would offer "data breach information hotline"-as-a-service

also also just to further show how utterly worthless the "free year of credit monitoring" is they just put the sign-up information on their website so literally anyone can sign up regardless of if they were even a customer

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/eck1ob/threatened_with_firing_after_finding_security_hole/

quote:

So, I will try and summarize this as best I can.
I recently started working for a Medium-Large sized company of 1000 employees, 90 locations. My role as a Senior Administrator is not new to me, I've had many roles like this in the past as a contractor. After about a month and a half, I noticed something peculiar with my non-admin account. Our HR department was storing company critical files in the open and unencrypted where ANYONE could access them. I immediately realized the security risk of this but here's the kicker.
Our IT Director is kind of a giant stooge. He knows next to nothing about IT but got to where he is by brown-nosing. Further, he flies off the handle over everything. His Security mantra is simply "just don't look." This goes against everything I've been trained to do in IT, we are supposed to find and fix problems, not just ignore them.
I brought the issue up to the VP who thanked me and immediately contacted HR. They were all incredibly thankful about me finding the issue and they patched it immediately, moving the files to a secure location and password protecting them. They then contacted our IT Director whose immediate reaction was "I have to fire him! He's snooping around with malicious intent!" Apparently the VP and Head of HR spoke with him for quite some time and were absolutely floored by his reaction. Since that meeting on Monday, our Director has not spoken one word to me. My boss, our IT Manager, is absolutely stunned and shocked.
I get him being mad for going over his head, but I knew this was how he would react.

My question - Can he honestly fire me for this?

UPDATE 1: Change title to FIRED After Finding Security Hole.

HR says I waited too long to report the file and for going over my bosses head.

i like this response

quote:

Yes, they can fire you. I know of other companies that have a routine rule of firing anyone who brings up any security issues.

I worked at a certain company. After I left for greener pastures, a former co-worker found a major, major security hole exploitable by anyone on the outside. He knew that if he turned the bug in, he would get fired, if not jacked up on CFAA violations, because management and the internal developers took liberties with security (pg_hba.conf had a lot of TRUST entries, for example.) They had zero interest in fixing any security holes unless a manager was standing over their shoulder. Management congratulated themselves with a "security had no ROI" philosophy.

He created a bogus LinkedIn account. From there, he sent private messages to the C-levels at the company, the VPs, and top brass at the company's biggest clients. He sent screenshots of private PHI/PII, a Bash script of how it can be done, the code showing why this is happening, and an internal memo with vague threats about how this is expensive to fix.

This internal hole got fixed in hours. Yes, the company had a witch hunt internally, but it put the fear of Health and Human Services into the company's directors, and they actually bothered to shut their barn doors.

Yes, this is a tac nuke, but plastering it in front of the regulators and customers is the only way that company would actually bother to fix things.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Midjack posted:

iirc there’s something in the pci spec that requires a human readable number on the card for offline processing
my apple card has no numbers on it at all (only my name and three corporate logos/brands). i guess if you’re apple you can get away with things though.

(there is a fixed number, you can reveal it using the phone app, or it’s autofilled in macOS / iOS as needed. and the magstrip has it encoded)

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

iirc there’s something in the pci spec that requires a human readable number on the card for offline processing (power outage at grocery store or similar). been a while since i had to mess with payment cards so i may be wrong.

FYI, PCI doesn’t have anything to do with the physical cards, it’s just about the storage of card data. There’s some ISO specs around the location/characteristics/format of the magstripe/emv chip/card number embossing. your biggest hurdle if you’re making an apple card is probably convincing mastercard to let you throw out their style guide.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

DrPossum posted:

more

lol

i think the guy still has a solid point about e-commerce, even if maybe he did not mean it this way...

what i mean is that the personal-human aspect of the shopping experience is now neatly capitalismically optimized so that the buyer personally has a really good and comfortable experience, and the seller's personal experience involves grueling 14h days with timed piss breaks

just like reading news online has bankrupted a lot of newsrooms, leaving everything in the hands of murdoch & fuckerberg.

*record scratch*

but getting back on the topic of security and credit card numbers... my boss was arguing the other day that it's possible to "decrypt" hashed CC information - this feels like bullshit to me, even though you can sort of argue that there really are not that many CC-CVV-expiry date combinations to brute force a hash

i would expect that companies encrypt that information, but he was specifically arguing about hashed data.. maybe just confusion of the terms?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Penisface posted:

but getting back on the topic of security and credit card numbers... my boss was arguing the other day that it's possible to "decrypt" hashed CC information - this feels like bullshit to me, even though you can sort of argue that there really are not that many CC-CVV-expiry date combinations to brute force a hash

i would expect that companies encrypt that information, but he was specifically arguing about hashed data.. maybe just confusion of the terms?

there are a lot less than 10^15 valid primary account numbers, and if you’re also storing like “visa ending in 4200” that’s down to less than 10^12 plus now you have a check digit

adding three digits for cvv, and three for date (it’s probably really 2.1 for date) gets you to 10^18

hashcat on a g3.4xlarge can do > 10^9 sha2-256 hashes per second, so that’s 10^6 gpu seconds, or 12 GPU days, to burn through the whole gamut

which is why they really want you to tokenize cards numbers instead of storing them verbatim, also when someone gets their card skimmed at a gas station it doesn’t have to invalidate stores tokens

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Penisface posted:

i think the guy still has a solid point about e-commerce, even if maybe he did not mean it this way...

what i mean is that the personal-human aspect of the shopping experience is now neatly capitalismically optimized so that the buyer personally has a really good and comfortable experience, and the seller's personal experience involves grueling 14h days with timed piss breaks

just like reading news online has bankrupted a lot of newsrooms, leaving everything in the hands of murdoch & fuckerberg.

Stoll had lots of good/prescient/true points, except he doubled down and went all-in on the luddite angle.
I don't know if you deserve to get kudos for that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i can’t see anything about wawa and not immediately start playing pennsylvania by bloodhound gang in my head.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

there are a lot less than 10^15 valid primary account numbers, and if you’re also storing like “visa ending in 4200” that’s down to less than 10^12 plus now you have a check digit

adding three digits for cvv, and three for date (it’s probably really 2.1 for date) gets you to 10^18

hashcat on a g3.4xlarge can do > 10^9 sha2-256 hashes per second, so that’s 10^6 gpu seconds, or 12 GPU days, to burn through the whole gamut

which is why they really want you to tokenize cards numbers instead of storing them verbatim, also when someone gets their card skimmed at a gas station it doesn’t have to invalidate stores tokens

in reality it's even less than that. if you know the issuer of the card the first 6 (or so it varies but 6 is common) digits of the card number are per issuer. plus most (all?) card numbers will pass a Luhn check so that invalidates a lot of potential numbers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Penisface posted:

i mean for upmarket physical location retailers the ~shopping experience~ is still real important and brings people in because they're boomers with money and habits so he was kinda right, he just didn't really anticipate that 80% of people don't actually care

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The_Franz posted:

he was right about the internet becoming an open sewer of unverifiable data

the part about physical retail thriving because "we need salespeople"... not so much

eh, people do go to physical retail to look at the products and sometimes even talk to the salespeople. it's just that instead of actually buying poo poo at the store, they go home and buy the cheapest Amazon result instead, without realizing that it's a fake listing and that they just bought a Chinese knockoff that'll break after three months. but they don't care because even the real thing breaks the day after its six-month warranty expires

similarly, why worry about your payment information getting compromised via online shopping when all the stores have hooked their payment systems up to systems that are connected to the internet, so you're just as exposed to online thieves even if you shop in person?

i think he accurately predicted that the higher-tech versions of things would be absolute poo poo. he just failed to predict that the low-tech versions would also follow that lead and get even shittier

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lmao

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1208056834881466368

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

:chome:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzTmzyMmtU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

how do you make that typo, v isn’t even next to t

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:yeshaha:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also i kinda respect the hustle of the burkinese entrepreneur who bought my email. first it was copper & sesame seeds, now its:

quote:

I know that this letter will be a very big surprise to you, I just came across your email contact from my personal search, I’m a business woman from Mongolia dealing with gold exportation here in Republic of Burkina Faso. I was...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

that article seems to say the malware was on the point of sale, but the actual wawa release says "servers" and then "in-store payment processing systems" which is weird

one thing that sticks out to me on this is neither Wawa nor the CC companies found evidence of fraudulent use of the cards.

If they’ve been sitting on this for eight months or so and haven’t sold it or acted on it then what am I missing?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

how do you make that typo, v isn’t even next to t

took a bit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

i can’t see anything about wawa and not immediately start playing pennsylvania by bloodhound gang in my head.

little gto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lmfao, I've never seen that one before.

Turns out lomarf chome is pro youtube search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOl2FOw_FYo
:eyepop: