Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bewbies posted:

I love colorized old photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibvXiQ64Ss

here's a bunch of colorized old photos from the WWII era that are neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

even their hazing was horrible

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

FrangibleCover posted:

That blog post certainly has an agenda, doesn't it?

Unfortunately I'm going to cast doubt on the Atlantic Conveyor story using another, cooler story. Quartermasters are not allowed to lose things. It is their job to know where things are. Sometimes quartermasters lose things and have to come up with a story of where they are so that the things they lose don't include their leave.

Enter Atlantic Conveyor, which was loaded with such haste that nobody actually ever had a full manifest of what she went south with. She was still almost full when she went down and nobody is loving about on the bottom of the South Atlantic doing a stocktake. As a result just about every piece of British Army equipment that went missing between 1975-85 was noted down as lost on the Atlantic Conveyor, which was presumably at about ten times her rated displacement when she was hit. I would not be surprised if the stock of Soyer Stoves was slowly attrited from negligence, wastage, poorly driven armoured vehicles, theft, loss and bored squaddies between about 1946 and 1982 at which point every quartermaster in the Army independently arrived at the wizard wheeze of claiming that their Soyer Stoves were lost to enemy action, with the result that an incautious or credulous historian could well come to the conclusion that Atlantic Conveyor was carrying five Chinooks, a thousand feet of Marston Matting and the rest of the ship was full of Victorian cooking equipment.

Ahahahaha that's incredible

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Flight 19 mystery, solved at last

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

The Flight 19 mystery, solved at last

It's a good jumping off point for an SCP

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This guy's got an interesting video on a device that improves upon the longbow by giving it a built-in magazine to help fire quicker with less fiddling around nocking, and I wonder what some people in this thread would think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZuOZ7Fqag8

It's interesting to think of as a mostly feasible invention for the era that just didn't really occur to people. Aside from the laser sight.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's not really unusual. History is constantly full of times where x would've been practical and would've changed history, but it just didn't happen.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

seems really flimsy for lugging about on a medieval campaign in all sorts of weather

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Argas posted:

It's not really unusual. History is constantly full of times where x would've been practical and would've changed history, but it just didn't happen.

I disagree. Wars are won by which nation can send the most resources to the battlefield, not by new technology (barring extreme cases like maxim guns vs. spears). Nocking arrows wasn't the biggest limitation on a longbow's rate of fire, it was physical exhaustion, because drawing a longbow required great strength and years of training.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Couple pages late (sorry, life cutting into my forum browsing time) but to the people talking about callsigns, there's a nice collection of them here if people want some amusing reading. In addition to the aforementioned "something horrifically embarrassing" logic, they will also occasionally take the form of acronyms, which given we're talking about the military seems rather obvious in retrospect really.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MadDogMike posted:

Couple pages late (sorry, life cutting into my forum browsing time) but to the people talking about callsigns, there's a nice collection of them here if people want some amusing reading. In addition to the aforementioned "something horrifically embarrassing" logic, they will also occasionally take the form of acronyms, which given we're talking about the military seems rather obvious in retrospect really.

This page is fantastic, thank you. Despite the embarrassing backstories, "Batman" and "Chainsaw" did much better than "Creampie" and "Scrotum".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Chamale posted:

I disagree. Wars are won by which nation can send the most resources to the battlefield, not by new technology (barring extreme cases like maxim guns vs. spears). Nocking arrows wasn't the biggest limitation on a longbow's rate of fire, it was physical exhaustion, because drawing a longbow required great strength and years of training.

I didn't mean just tech. Just counterfactuals that aren't as ridiculous as gay black hitler, just gay hitler.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pilots are already pretty short aren't they

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Argas posted:

My suspicion in a lot of these cases is that it's incomplete information on the part of the combatants while we have full historical knowledge, and people making boneheaded mistakes due to being dead tired (that one time Stonewall Jackson forgot to issue orders for like 3 days or something)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

Pilots are already pretty short aren't they

Not really. In old MiGs there was a height limit, your legs just wouldn't fit into the cockpit or they'd be torn off if you had to eject. But most western planes don't have this limit, of course you still can't be a NBA star nor Peter Dinklage but fighter planes are designed for average sized people. Soviet citizens just were a tad shorter than their western counterparts.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

My suspicion in a lot of these cases is that it's incomplete information on the part of the combatants while we have full historical knowledge, and people making boneheaded mistakes due to being dead tired (that one time Stonewall Jackson forgot to issue orders for like 3 days or something)
this plus "sick" and "hungry" is probably most dumb mistakes

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Argas posted:

I didn't mean just tech. Just counterfactuals that aren't as ridiculous as gay black hitler, just gay hitler.

Gay Hitler is real https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20018596/obituary_dr_gay_hitler_dentist/

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Not really. In old MiGs there was a height limit, your legs just wouldn't fit into the cockpit or they'd be torn off if you had to eject. But most western planes don't have this limit, of course you still can't be a NBA star nor Peter Dinklage but fighter planes are designed for average sized people. Soviet citizens just were a tad shorter than their western counterparts.

As an air cadet in the UK we were allowed to get into the cockpits of aircraft in use by the RAF and this is inaccurate.

Fighter pilots are selected on their size and cognitive powers as a 6 foot 5 inch guy when I climbed into a tornado the pilot rightly pointed out that if I pulled the ejector handle I would break both of my thighs as the chair would accelerate very quickly smashing my mid thigh off the centre console. This meant any escape and evasion from angry locals would mean I would be effectively a waste of time to train.

Ideally pilots are tiny people weighing 110lbs (not sure about American planes) so when you are dogfighting that extra kilo of fuel you can carry instead of body weight may mean you get home.

The same for a harrier and jaguar also.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Ladies and gentlemen, we got him.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

this plus "sick" and "hungry" is probably most dumb mistakes

Also drunk now I think about it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

This guy's got an interesting video on a device that improves upon the longbow by giving it a built-in magazine to help fire quicker with less fiddling around nocking, and I wonder what some people in this thread would think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZuOZ7Fqag8

It's interesting to think of as a mostly feasible invention for the era that just didn't really occur to people. Aside from the laser sight.

It seems like it doesn't solve a real world problem, and it makes the bow about ten times more cumbersome.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Over in the MilHist Discord the subject of impractical German WWII gas mask cans and canteens came up. I said I’d take a couple of pics, and here they are. Here’s a gas mask cannister and a canteen:

The gas mask can is made of relatively solid steel; it doesn’t feel like a beer can, more like a heavy old-school metal thermos. The body is corrugated, ridged for strength. The lid is hinged and swings open. There’s a complex latch that holds it closed; you have to pull it down and free of a knob, then swing it up to open it. There are two straps – one goes over your shoulder, one has a flat hook that clips to your belt. It hangs behind you and bangs into the rest of your stuff.

On the left side of the cannister is a gas mask cape inside a rubberized cloth envelope. In photos from 1940 you see soldiers with this attached to their chest. After 1942 they were ordered (By order HM 42 # 1130) to attach the cape to the cannister itself by way of an impractical system of straps and loops:

Needless to say most soldiers didn’t do this and instead strapped it to the outside of the can with the typical leather straps (with buckles) that were issued with the tournister (backpack). This wasn’t good, as the straps crushed the envelope and cape and ruined the rubberization that was intended to stop chemical agents from touching the wearer’s skin. I’ve never seen an original gas mask cape that wasn’t damaged by this.

Here’s the bottom of the canteen:

The canteen cover is made of felt. The idea was that if you soak the felt with water it will cool the water in the canteen. That’s nice, but the water will also soak the leather straps that hold the whole thing together and make them rot. This leather strap is a replacement, almost all original leather canteen straps have some sort of damage.

That’s the canteen cup. It’s made of aluminum and painted black. Bare metal field gear is a bad idea; when you move it all bangs together. German field equipment tends to sound like a collection of clanging cans – which is, after all, what it is. The handles are flimsy and often break. You can make out how the leather strap that holds the belt hook also goes under the cap and holds the screw-cap on. That’s a lot of leather to sew.

Here’s the inside of the lid of the gas mask cannister.

There’s a little hinged compartment to hold spare lenses:

There is a (forged) dated receipt inside. The waxed bag under the wire holds the spare lenses.

The bottom of the can has yet another wire thingie, this one used to retain the special lens-wiping cloth. Yes, they made special lens-wiping cloths:

Here’s the gas mask itself, wadded up to fit inside the cannister. Inside that is a (reproduction) pack of period appropriate cigarettes and wooden matches. Soldiers would use the cannister to carry their cigarettes because it was waterproof:

As is typical for German WWII equipment, this is bad. It’s ridiculously over complicated, with unnecessary hinges, wires, and welds. The metal is bent and folded by relatively complex sheet metal work for no good reason. It’s a waste of resources– other armies of WWII that even bothered with gas masks carried them in cloth bags. It’s badly thought out – bare metal bangs into other bare metal like a gong, and noise is the last thing you want if you’re sneaking around in combat (bags don’t clang into each other). And, of course, they made millions of them.

Any questions?

I’m heading out of town for the Holidays, but if anyone is interested in more break-downs of German equipment/crap like this, let me know after the 1st and I’d be happy to take photos.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 20, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MikeCrotch posted:

It's this really, it's just fun/illuminating to speculate on some things.

And there's also the history of how the Brits dealt with scurvy. IIRC a goon did a big effortpost on it and the tl;dr is that they didn't know what actually caused scurvy and because of that lack of crucial information, they found a cure, instituted a version of it that didn't work because they got the facts wrong, and eventually found the cure again but not without a lot of scurvy in the meantime.

We just have a bigger, fuller picture of things. The people before us were scrambling around in the dark trying to come up with solutions. We've gotten better but we've also discovered that just inventing a cure to disease isn't the same as curing the disease because our world is profit-dominated, and the people with power have decided it's not profitable. We don't need to invent a solution to world hunger, etc.

Edit: Kind of going back to the longbow magazine thing, I think there's a few reasons. You have practical ones, like how this would even fit into doctrine. Another is just the way ideas get turned into actual things. Who would have such an idea? Who would turn the idea into a concept? And who can realize the concept with an actual invention? There are polymaths that know enough to convince another to sponsor them but even now there's still a lot of people involved to turn ideas into a useable prototype even with the plethora of devices in the maker communities now that allows one person to do a lot of it on their own.

Argas fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 20, 2019

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cessna posted:

Over in the MilHist Discord the subject of impractical German WWII gas mask cans and canteens came up. I said I’d take a couple of pics, and here they are. Here’s a gas mask cannister and a canteen:

The gas mask can is made of relatively solid steel; it doesn’t feel like a beer can, more like a heavy old-school metal thermos. The body is corrugated, ridged for strength. The lid is hinged and swings open. There’s a complex latch that holds it closed; you have to pull it down and free of a knob, then swing it up to open it. There are two straps – one goes over your shoulder, one has a flat hook that clips to your belt. It hangs behind you and bangs into the rest of your stuff.

On the left side of the cannister is a gas mask cape inside a rubberized cloth envelope. In photos from 1940 you see soldiers with this attached to their chest. After 1942 they were ordered (By order HM 42 # 1130) to attach the cape to the cannister itself by way of an impractical system of straps and loops:

Needless to say most soldiers didn’t do this and instead strapped it to the outside of the can with the typical leather straps (with buckles) that were issued with the tournister (backpack). This wasn’t good, as the straps crushed the envelope and cape and ruined the rubberization that was intended to stop chemical agents from touching the wearer’s skin. I’ve never seen an original gas mask cape that wasn’t damaged by this.

Here’s the bottom of the canteen:

The canteen cover is made of felt. The idea was that if you soak the felt with water it will cool the water in the canteen. That’s nice, but the water will also soak the leather straps that hold the whole thing together and make them rot. This leather strap is a replacement, almost all original leather canteen straps have some sort of damage.

That’s the canteen cup. It’s made of aluminum and painted black. Bare metal field gear is a bad idea; when you move it all bangs together. German field equipment tends to sound like a collection of clanging cans – which is, after all, what it is. The handles are flimsy and often break. You can make out how the leather strap that holds the belt hook also goes under the cap and holds the screw-cap on. That’s a lot of leather to sew.

Here’s the inside of the lid of the gas mask cannister.

There’s a little hinged compartment to hold spare lenses:

There is a (forged) dated receipt inside. The waxed bag under the wire holds the spare lenses.

The bottom of the can has yet another wire thingie, this one used to retain the special lens-wiping cloth. Yes, they made special lens-wiping cloths:

Here’s the gas mask itself, wadded up to fit inside the cannister. Inside that is a (reproduction) pack of period appropriate cigarettes and wooden matches. Soldiers would use the cannister to carry their cigarettes because it was waterproof.

As is typical for German WWII equipment, this is bad. It’s ridiculously over complicated, with unnecessary hinges, wires, and welds. The metal is bent and folded by relatively complex sheet metal work for no good reason. It’s a waste of resources– other armies of WWII that even bothered with gas masks carried them in cloth bags. It’s badly thought out – bare metal bangs into other bare metal like a gong, and noise is the last thing you want if you’re sneaking around in combat (bags don’t clang into each other). And, of course, they made millions of them.

Any questions?

I’m heading out of town for the Holidays, but if anyone is interested in more break-downs of German equipment/crap like this, let me know after the 1st and I’d be happy to take photos.

I am digging the hell out of discovering how overmade so much of the german field equipment and uniforms are. Like I only recently discovered that each stalhelm was individually fitted and delivered wrapped in paper with handpainted unit insignia. And how the germans fought in their dress uniforms since they didn't have anything like baggy combat gear.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 20, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Uncle Enzo posted:

The image of the gas mask isn't loading.

Thanks! I fixed my post, here it is again:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

And for those of you interested in visual codes/cues in media:

:thunk:

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 20, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

on the subject of WWII engineering and uniforms, does anyone have information about how the brodie helm was manufactured? I think you posted about it before Cessna, or at least someone described how much simpler it was than the stalhelm, but compared with the stalhelm there's much less information about it floating around on the internet. Did it also require multiple stamps to get the right shape?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

And for those of you interested in visual codes/cues in media:

:thunk:

They literally use MG-34s, and the rebels use Stens/Lanhesters!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They literally use MG-34s,

And feldgrau or black uniforms with M43 caps, and troops called "Stormtroopers..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They also use Sterlings, though, and Han Solo uses a C96, so this might not be totally valid.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

They also use Sterlings, though

Well they are actually the British Empire sooo

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeesss! Feed it into my veins. :godwinning: :hf: :drugnerd:

Any particularly crazy drug paraphernalia or medical equipment? Stupidly over-engineered child proof Pervitin bottles?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The main rebel blaster rifle we see is based off the STG-44, the stomtroopers E-11 carbine is the one based off the Sten most recogniseably (though the pistols the rebels use are also based off it i believe) :goonsay:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Polyakov posted:

The main rebel blaster rifle we see is based off the STG-44, the stomtroopers E-11 carbine is the one based off the Sten most recogniseably (though the pistols the rebels use are also based off it i believe) :goonsay:

The E-11 is based on the Sterling, not the Sten. :goonsay:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We never fixed this for the pretending to have an army tier troops. I'm sure that a KSK Nazi in the Afgan has the highest speed and lowest drag of gear but one of my main memories from my time in was a-clonking across the Truppenübungsplatz like a herd of cows wearing those bells around their necks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

We never fixed this for the pretending to have an army tier troops. I'm sure that a KSK Nazi in the Afgan has the highest speed and lowest drag of gear but one of my main memories from my time in was a-clonking across the Truppenübungsplatz like a herd of cows wearing those bells around their necks.
were you told, at any time, how to deal with this? or was it just expected that you guys would make a lot of noise because that's a sacrifice that has to be made for the canteen to look good

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

were you told, at any time, how to deal with this? or was it just expected that you guys would make a lot of noise because that's a sacrifice that has to be made for the canteen to look good

I was a draftee in a non-combat branch of the year 2000 Bundeswehr, my wild guess is that nobody realized that it could be a problem because it was essentially a cargo cult army at that point. You dress up in your finest third generation hand-me-down camo gear and some otherwise unemployable guy does his best gunnery sergeant Hartman impression at you. They didn't have enough loving pants for everyone. It was a joke.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

aphid_licker posted:

some otherwise unemployable guy does his best gunnery sergeant Hartman impression at you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8AHC0DwFME

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You can call me Major Cringe because that's what I'm experiencing rn :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

aphid_licker posted:

I was a draftee in a non-combat branch of the year 2000 Bundeswehr, my wild guess is that nobody realized that it could be a problem because it was essentially a cargo cult army at that point. You dress up in your finest third generation hand-me-down camo gear and some otherwise unemployable guy does his best gunnery sergeant Hartman impression at you. They didn't have enough loving pants for everyone. It was a joke.

Insert that quote about using broomsticks instead of machine guns here