Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The greatest William Hurt movie of course, Kiss of the Spider Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was like "wait, isn't William Hurt dead?" then I realized I was thinking of John Hurt.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Does dune come out on the 18th? Did I read that right? I thought it was 2020!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

sebmojo posted:

It is 2020, not sure how you've been mislead.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

DandyLion posted:

It is 2020, not sure how you've been mislead.

And the 18th this year is a Wednesday, which would be a really weird release date.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

December 18th... 2020.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Murray Mantoinette posted:

What was he seeing?

e: :pray: Altered States :pray:

He was seeing Waves.

I did briefly talk to him about Altered States tho :swoon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ratatozsk posted:

And the 18th this year is a Wednesday, which would be a really weird release date.

Thanks, it was that article, it said the release was the 18th without a year.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
All i could think for that scene in the finale of watchmen

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1206610455319502848?s=19

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

From YOSPOS:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

D. Ebdrup posted:

From YOSPOS:

I always saw CHOAM as more analogous to the various East Indies companies of Europe in the 1600-1800's or perhaps the Oil companies that raped the middle East since ww1, sometimes called the seven sisters.

It is ostensibly separate from the government, yet the directorships are controlled by the crown.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Did Frank outright say CHOAM was an OPEC analog?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

D. Ebdrup posted:

From YOSPOS:

if you wanted one: https://inktale.com/choam/choamazon/coffee-mugs

kinda wish I drank coffee so I could justify one

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
You're allowed to put other liquids in the mug, away with this machine-thinking!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

What happened to those Harkonnen Web 3.0 t-shirt designs?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I dont know posted:

Did Frank outright say CHOAM was an OPEC analog?
Yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
CHOAM kinda comes off to me as what once might have been an East India Company style organisation but has since become pretty much completely absorbed into the galactic power structure. The Navigators seem to have more meaningful independence.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Vlex posted:

What happened to those Harkonnen Web 3.0 t-shirt designs?

I'd feel weird profiting from a half-baked fan project, but I've uploaded a .pdf of the design here if anyone else wants to put it on a shirt or whatever:

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=778170081b3fc65cc8f0b24df9c02364

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 21, 2019

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Release the trailer you cowards!

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Do we have the updated cast list for 2020?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lil Peeler posted:

Do we have the updated cast list for 2020?

1 page ago

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dinosaurs! posted:

I wouldn't expect that until at least april/may. But at least now we're under a year to go!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I'd feel weird profiting from a half-baked fan project, but I've uploaded a .pdf of the design here if anyone else wants to put it on a shirt or whatever:

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=778170081b3fc65cc8f0b24df9c02364

Needs more space whale fur

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Malcolm XML posted:

Needs more space whale fur

the whales are from lankiveil not space you fool, you absolute dingus

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

all locations are in space

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Doc Hawkins posted:

all locations are in space

Is this from the guild navigators liturgy?

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Yo so reading God Emperor of Dune for the first time (having read the first three a few times previously) and I’m regretting my decision because shits gone off the rails

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Yo so reading God Emperor of Dune for the first time (having read the first three a few times previously) and I’m regretting my decision because shits gone off the rails

:getin:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm halfway through God Emperor and I'm pretty sure poo poo's about to get nasty.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Twitch posted:

I'm halfway through God Emperor and I'm pretty sure poo poo's about to get nasty.

creamin' my pants ovah 'eeeeerrrrreeee

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
mods please change my username to Gross Protuberance

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
So I know it’s been like 3,500 years by the time God Emperor takes place but it really just feels like 1 decade of Frank Herbert getting older and more reactionary and way more obsessed with Egyptology

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Tbh missing the days of “adult beefswelling”

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Just you wait until Heretics. Plenty of beefswelling there

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Just you wait until Heretics. Plenty of beefswelling there

mate, we blowin murbles minds

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm also reading God Emperor for the first time and I'm laughing at Leto meeting a girl so cute that he just starts screaming

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

lads, patience just imagine in the next two years we will have not one, but two movie adaptations for Dune that will definitely not suck

besides the trailer is already in your mind, but i'm sure for now it's just all the best bits(without the lovely Fyed) from lynch's version with TOTO theme cranked even higher

i also just really wanted repeat a general mantra of gently caress YOU BRIAN HERBET, you ginger oval office

i am hard pressed to think of another case of naked opportunism like it in lit or other creative media...of a son/daughter just churning out hot garbage under the name of the parent's legacy work, did owe people money or something? or realized that writing non-derivative science fiction is way harder than he thought and he probably shouldn't have just blindly followed in same extremely difficult to make a living on profession like his father?

i am confident that since villeneuve is committed to a faithful adaptation and is a legit fan, he saw Dr.Steve Brule as the end to a mean for the adaptations rights

but Dune2020 will inevitably induce some confused new fan to buy one of his works by accident and should give everyone in this thread full body shivers

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 24, 2019

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

yo dude did you just jinx it???

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I guess eventually youll find that some failsons are eventually confronted by material need and like, he was 100% never gonna make anything unique or interesting. Him being born under the shadow of bad-dad, good-author Frank Herbert was probably just lucky for him

Ive speculated itt that it might be malice because seriously frank wasn't a great dad based on like quotes from Brian and iirc Bruce, or maybe second hand stuff abt Bruce said by Brian, but most likely it was Brian being the average son of a guy that happens to be a giant in science fiction, faced with a dillema of make less money or cash in on the dead fucker you're still crying about in therapy.

I'm saying like, me and most of y'all itt would probably do it too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Paul of Dune wasn't a really terrible book but resurrecting all of the main characters and parading them around in Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune makes those two final books straight up unreadable.