Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
When I was playing the Steam version of TFM the card text did not fit on the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played Treasure Island last night and I think it was finally the straw that broke the deduction game camel's back. This game piles fuzzy information upon fuzzy information, while stripping player agency right back. For a two hour game, each player had maybe eight total actions and most of the game is just futzing about with with a map. Design is insanely colourblind unfriendly. I eventually won by ignoring most of the early game red herrings, acting upon a tiny bit of actual solid intel and then using cues from the Long John Silver player's behaviour to make the final guess. Everyone else at the table liked the game but I hated it. This came at the end of a long run of mediocre deduction games (Last Friday, Awkward Guests, Cryptid (best of the bunch), Jaws and then TI). I'm utterly worn out of guessing games and this the peak overstuffed sausage of the genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The End posted:

Played Treasure Island last night and I think it was finally the straw that broke the deduction game camel's back. This game piles fuzzy information upon fuzzy information, while stripping player agency right back. For a two hour game, each player had maybe eight total actions and most of the game is just futzing about with with a map. Design is insanely colourblind unfriendly. I eventually won by ignoring most of the early game red herrings, acting upon a tiny bit of actual solid intel and then using cues from the Long John Silver player's behaviour to make the final guess. Everyone else at the table liked the game but I hated it. This came at the end of a long run of mediocre deduction games (Last Friday, Awkward Guests, Cryptid (best of the bunch), Jaws and then TI). I'm utterly worn out of guessing games and this the peak overstuffed sausage of the genre.

What the actual gently caress??

I swear some of y'all posting like "I hate Coup, why would anyone spend 3 hours playing it? Everyone just stole from each other in an endless circle, so broken!."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well yeah, I like Coup but i'd only play it for a couple rounds in one sitting at most.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Treasure Island was pretty cool, but has super fiddly components. Maybe the only time everyone can agree on the definition of the word “fiddly” :v:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Believe me I didn't still want to be there after 30 mins. How long does it take normally with 5?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The End posted:

Believe me I didn't still want to be there after 30 mins. How long does it take normally with 5?

30-45 minutes maybe, no more than an hour. There’s no room for discussion in the game and like you said you don’t get a lot of actions throughout the entirety of the game. Was Long John taking like 10 minutes to interpret the clues?

Treasure Island is indeed fiddley but I disagree on the deduction that it runs on fuzzy logic or strips player agency (really?). LJS only has two opportunities to lie, they have to be clever with all other clues. The game gives you tools as a player to triangulate the position of the treasure smoothly but also your own position is used by LJS’ clues so your own actions can reveal information to your opponents e.g. avoiding certain areas can tip off your hidden map.

E: even the game box is a flat 45 minutes. If your group is that slow at deduction games I’d be burnt out too!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 20, 2019

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Is Sentinels of the Multiverse on Apple? It's one of my most played on Android. It's probably far better as a computer game than as a board game as it has so much upkeep and heaps of effects to track.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

As near as I can tell the only goon-approved social deduction games need to boil down to this:

Any deviance from pure logic is for casuals and roleplayers

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

hoiyes posted:

Is Sentinels of the Multiverse on Apple? It's one of my most played on Android. It's probably far better as a computer game than as a board game as it has so much upkeep and heaps of effects to track.

Yes, I have it on my iOS devices. It good.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
top one number one game loving ever

mousetrap

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

SoftNum posted:

As near as I can tell the only goon-approved social deduction games need to boil down to this:

Tragedy looper is pretty good.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone try Nemesis yet? Any thoughts?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SoftNum posted:

Well yeah it's because logic puzzles are fun and social deduction games are awful.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I got Fafnir on a whim when I went to get Deep Sea Adventure and Maskmen. It's not a bad game, but I don't think it works that well if everyone is trying as hard as they can. The basic jist is that players auction for colored gems by spending different colored gems. And the value of the gems in each round is determined by the number of gems that everyone has. So you want to get the most common color among all the players, but you want to avoid getting more than 5, since that makes a color worthless to you. A potential issue is that every auction reveals information about each players hidden gem pile, including all the failed bids. So someone who is trying too hard is going to be writing down or memorizing dozens of bids per round. Thankfully, no one did that when I played, especially since the trash pile does a good job of summarizing the most important revealed information. But I can imagine someone going nuts trying to guess everyone's exact gem distribution.

I'd really like to get one of the Oink games printings of Modern Art, but it's near impossible to get them outside of Japan.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 20, 2019

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

SoftNum posted:

Fuzzy info is easier to deal with when you get to test it more than a handful of times in two freaking hours. Learning that the game is meant to take less than half the time has blown my mind and made me despair that my group are trying a bit too hard.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

golden bubble posted:

I'd really like to get one of the Oink games printings of Modern Art, but it's near impossible to get them outside of Japan.

The Korean edition is extremely nice, though expensive. They sent an English manual and auction explanation cards with mine, though the website says it's Korean only.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SoftNum posted:

Hell yeah

But on a serious note, this is actually true. Aside from the social aspect, the actual game that takes place does need to be a solvable logic puzzle with no randomness. Lying and playing the table is enough obfuscation and any game that adds untrackable or unknowable randomness beneath that is almost always a bad game.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

But on a serious note, this is actually true. Aside from the social aspect, the actual game that takes place does need to be a solvable logic puzzle with no randomness. Lying and playing the table is enough obfuscation and any game that adds untrackable or unknowable randomness beneath that is almost always a bad game.

Maybe we need to split the genre into social games and deduction games because our opinions on what makes a good social deduction game could not be more opposite.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A good social deduction game needs good social aspects and good deduction aspects. Social includes bluffing, calling people on said bluffs, some organization to the social aspect like a timed round, etc. The deduction side needs to have concrete evidence and info to gain from the social aspect and I’m not sure you can make an argument against that fact. If you get a truth or figure out lies that should be concrete. If the game can erase the info or turn lies true and vice versa, what’s the point of having the social element? Wacky randomness for the sake of it?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 20, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That sure is what blood on the clock tower sounds like...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SoftNum posted:

code:
Friend	Class	Locker
Akam	ELA	314
Joy	SS	315
Malina	Math	301
Sam	Science	333

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I feel like if you go into any game expecting a masterpiece, you're going to be let down. I've played Treasure Island and we all had a blast. It took us an hour and a half, but in the game's defense, we went off on a tonne of drunken tangents. It's not a game I'd play regularly, but I'd happily whip it out once a month to get a game or two in. Cons that are just fact at this point are: the components suck rear end and the map makes it impossible to see the marker colours properly. It never struck me as the type that comes across as a super serious social deduction game. It's more "gently caress with your friends and then steal the treasure if you can" and "try and mess with each other until the last few days before LJS escapes and then all dogpile him so he can't win". FWIW, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a lighthearted game that'll create loads of great moments in the group.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

M a x posted:

Tragedy looper is pretty good.

Friend, have you played psychic pizza deliverers go to a ghost town?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I keep checking Amazon Japan to see if they have it cheap/delivering to the US.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I haven't done one of these since I was in school. (Answer below)

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

M a x posted:

I keep checking Amazon Japan to see if they have it cheap/delivering to the US.

Check Amazon Germany too. They're also able to sell it there and it looks like they currently have it listed. Dunno if it ships to the US cheaply though.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Qubee posted:

I feel like if you go into any game expecting a masterpiece, you're going to be let down. I've played Treasure Island and we all had a blast. It took us an hour and a half, but in the game's defense, we went off on a tonne of drunken tangents. It's not a game I'd play regularly, but I'd happily whip it out once a month to get a game or two in. Cons that are just fact at this point are: the components suck rear end and the map makes it impossible to see the marker colours properly. It never struck me as the type that comes across as a super serious social deduction game. It's more "gently caress with your friends and then steal the treasure if you can" and "try and mess with each other until the last few days before LJS escapes and then all dogpile him so he can't win". FWIW, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a lighthearted game that'll create loads of great moments in the group.

Life is too short to waste on mediocre games.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The End posted:

Life is too short to waste on mediocre games.

It's actually pretty good imho. It does have a fair bit of novelty value and as such I don't think it would survive being played every day for a week, but it's pretty straightforward and good with mixed company: people get find Blackbeard's treasure before he does.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I'm doing some Christmas shopping for my niece. Any suggestions for a game appropriate for a six year old? She's very sociable, so maybe something with a strong element of interactivity?

Edit: But it should definitely be playable with only two players. She's an only child and her dad works a ton.

Yoshi Wins fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 20, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh no, and here we were going to play Treasure Island TONIGHT! It looks like such an awesome game, too!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone played On Mars yet? Thoughts on the teach?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mayveena posted:

Anyone played On Mars yet? Thoughts on the teach?
I've played it and thought it was pretty bad. Posted some thoughts earlier.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just found out that my copy of On Mars won't arrive until January. No idea where Living Planet is either.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Wacky randomness for the sake of it?

Yes.

Reminder that for every copy of [insert thread approved game here] sitting on someone's shelf there are a skajillion copies of Exploding Kittens

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Though it does warm my heart that Zombiecide is one of the more common games for sale in Facebook and meetup groups. It means it makes a good gateway. It's flashy enough to bring in new people to the hobby. But just lacking enough to make people want to replace it with good games.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
The more i play it, the more I think Spirit Island is my favourite ever cooperative board game. It just seems to tie everything together, the mechanics, the theming, the feeling of powerlessness slowly morphing into feeling unstoppable, the replayability, everything. Can't wait for Jagged Earth.

Also wanted to thank this thread for some amazing recommendations. Got Gaia Project, Feast for Odin, Food Chain Magnate, Tiny Towns, and Tash-Kalar, all from hearing your thoughts on them. Every one has been fantastic. Trying to stop buying more games until we've got more plays on the ones we have (well I'll be getting the Norwegians but that's different).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

golden bubble posted:

Though it does warm my heart that Zombiecide is one of the more common games for sale in Facebook and meetup groups. It means it makes a good gateway. It's flashy enough to bring in new people to the hobby. But just lacking enough to make people want to replace it with good games.

The prevalence of Zombicide and typically what feels like another six equally large boxes from the series is something that continuously astounds me. I say this even as someone who doesn't actively hate the game but is still confused by it's longevity especially with people that seem to know better for lack of a better and less patronising phrase.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Yoshi Wins posted:

I'm doing some Christmas shopping for my niece. Any suggestions for a game appropriate for a six year old? She's very sociable, so maybe something with a strong element of interactivity?

Edit: But it should definitely be playable with only two players. She's an only child and her dad works a ton.
I've had good luck with Blue Lagoon and Via Nebula with my daughter. They both play relatively quickly and have an appealing theme (especially the former since it's Moanaish).

Blue Lagoon plays well with 2 but I've only played Via Nebula with 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tekopo posted:

I've played it and thought it was pretty bad. Posted some thoughts earlier.

I saw those thoughts. Me and you don't like the same kinds of games so I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts.