Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

All that space for the heatsink to bounce around in after it comes loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are you stupid?

are you?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

New Macbook Pros suck, but you will have to take my 2015 Macbook Pro from my cold dead hands >:(

the GOAT laptop

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The 2019 15” fixed those issues and the new 16” fixes literally everything wrong with that generation of MBP. Even LTT had to praise it.

I don’t know that I’d say the 16” fixes everything. The fan in mine at least goes from zero to jet engine with almost no middle ground. I do like working with it, though.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

Also, and I say this as someone who went a decade and a half without touching Windows, Apple does NOT get games.
Their version of Game Pass was fairly well received.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
That’s true.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

The trashcan Mac Pro failed to account for the rise of GPUs and they painted themselves into a “thermal corner” so bad that the line sat untouched for 2,182 days. The iMac Pro is apparently so well cooled with well considered fans that it runs close to silent at full load. So if really depends on which Apple we’d get designing it. Also, and I say this as someone who went a decade and a half without touching Windows, Apple does NOT get games.

Ya. I use Bootcamp to play Windows games but mainly stick to consoles now. PC gaming is good but not for me anymore. I really wish Apple would release a 21:9 iMac however because ultrawide monitors own for multitasking so much and the 27" iMac is great but a 34" ultrawide would be awesome.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Phoenix Point and Infinifactory just popped up on PC Gamepass.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Man, Microsoft are bad at accessories.

Ive had the MS xbox one headset adapter since it came out, before the time every controller had a headphone jack. its real handy being able to mute the mic on the controller and also control the volume and mix of game/chat audio.

Anyway after like 6 years of service, it has developed a nasty crackle on the outbound voice channel. Thats fine, I can just plug into the headphone jack on the elite controller. Then you get stuck with this lovely guide-based menu for mixing the volume of game and chat (and all volume control). its like 1dB increments on the slider until it hits about 80%, then its like a 6dB jump and just beyond comfortably loud. the step below that makes footsteps and other environmental noises in the new COD inaudible. The voice chat volume is 1dB increments for the whole slider and barely registers a difference from min to max.

So I try to buy a new adapter, to restore the fine control I had over the audio volume and the mix. no bueno! it is discontinued.

But there is a market for these things, because they are all over ebay at prices well beyond what they retailed for. $50-60USD plus shipping from the states for a USED one. Im guessing Streamers like having access to quick volume controls on the controller rather than buried in the guide?

The best I could find locally was a Plantronics LX1 which does the same thing in a bulkier package and with cheap feeling volume wheel that doesnt have enough friction to hold where you left it.

The elite series 2 should have these controls integrated, or include the adapter. its definitely a 'pro' tier feature, its definitely in demand in the market, but MS decided they dont need money?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The chatpad has a volume control, it does make the controller bulkier though

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Phoenix Point on PC Gamepass today, gently caress yes!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Good article about the Series X from Digital Foundry here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

They think the size of the thing is for cooling as well, suspecting that the mainboard will be standard size and the tower is to accommodate for much higher clock speeds and power requirements that will need better cooling solutions. They also seem to think that Sony will be taking a similar approach as the current generation of consoles were designed very conservatively since Sony/MS were worried about mobile gaming, but now that's been revealed to not be a threat they think both companies are going to be delivering much greater leaps this time round and one of the caveats of that is the hardware needing to be bigger than people are used to. We know the Series X is big and that PS5 dev kit looks similarly huge (compare the sizes using the disc drives) with vents everywhere, so we may be getting some really impressive hardware next year.

Makes me wish they'd delay Cyberpunk 2077 so we could avoid the inevitable downgrade as well because if they gave it half a year or so we could actually get the game they showed in that original gameplay video years ago, with the huge amount/variety of NPCs etc. everywhere so it really feels like a city.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Was the MSX a early MicroSoft Xbox?

The SPectrum a Sony Playstation?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The ps4 dev kit is twice the volume of a ps4
The ps5 dev kit is a bit deeper than the ps4 dev kit and appears to have a similar volume to the xsx retail model.

Noise and heat could and probably will be awful if they make it a cramped box again but i dont trust DF's judgement on anything beyond pixel and frame counting anymore

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Given the persistence of noise complaints with the PS4, I feel like they'll probably work that out for the PS5. The PS4 Slim and newer PS4 Pros (the ones that have the thinner power cable and not the fat molex cables) are whisper-quiet.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Good article about the Series X from Digital Foundry here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

They think the size of the thing is for cooling as well, suspecting that the mainboard will be standard size and the tower is to accommodate for much higher clock speeds and power requirements that will need better cooling solutions. They also seem to think that Sony will be taking a similar approach as the current generation of consoles were designed very conservatively since Sony/MS were worried about mobile gaming, but now that's been revealed to not be a threat they think both companies are going to be delivering much greater leaps this time round and one of the caveats of that is the hardware needing to be bigger than people are used to. We know the Series X is big and that PS5 dev kit looks similarly huge (compare the sizes using the disc drives) with vents everywhere, so we may be getting some really impressive hardware next year.

Makes me wish they'd delay Cyberpunk 2077 so we could avoid the inevitable downgrade as well because if they gave it half a year or so we could actually get the game they showed in that original gameplay video years ago, with the huge amount/variety of NPCs etc. everywhere so it really feels like a city.

You could literally replace the link with this, change nothing else in your post and it would be fine

https://www.theverge.com/2013/11/21/5129880/xbox-one-ifixit-teardown-reveals-consoles-inside

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

i mean based on what we "know" we're talking about 3.5ghz cpu clocks on the series x which is meant to be the xbox one x of the gen. its not exactly extreme. the current gen launch consoles werent conservative, they were completely in line with what a new generation is expected to be, its just people see 1.7ghz cpu clocks and think about an i7 running 4.2ghz without understanding the difference between a pc and a console. it definitely wasnt anything to do with mobile and thats such a bizarre claim i dont know what to do with it. how are the launch ps4 and xbox one at all designed to compete with mobile gaming? sony ditched the vita other than sticking remote play in as an after thought and didnt push to a new portable platform, and the xbox one base console was literally designed entirely around integrating TV into the console.

base ps4 gave us consistent and solid 1080p30 performance which was a big step up from 360/ps3 and the spec increase was pretty substantial. digital foundry are pretty garbage now outside of pure performance data so im not trusting anything they say until i see it for real. going off of dev kit size is pointless because theyre all gigantic, the ps4 dev kit completely dwarfs the launch ps4 and especially the slim.

size doesnt mean anything for cooling, its about how good your thermal design is, the launch xbox one is much bigger than the launch ps4, has a ton of room inside and a giant fan on a decent heatsink, and it runs hotter than the more powerful and significantly smaller ps4 which has a tiny blower cooler. the xbox one x is smaller than the ps4 pro and more powerful and runs quieter and cooler.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im a big fan of xsx.

I am 140mm and my housing is 6 inches tall to be precise

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah digital foundry is kinda shakey now and have inside plugs to Microsoft so they really play up anything Xbox related. That's been proven.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

Yeah digital foundry is kinda shakey now and have inside plugs to Microsoft so they really play up anything Xbox related. That's been proven.
Oh?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I just realized that we don't really have to touch a "full digital" console

We can put our "full digital/ no moving parts" console inside a pool with mineral oil

Kind of like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZRPXWy_nM

Maybe the Xbox is a box filled with a unknowns liquid that achieve 100% thermal efficiency (no).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's a lot. In short a youtuber called them out for bias and for lying in their Gears 5 video and other stuff they had been doing. They have Xbox connects and get first peeks and all new xbox console stuff. For their Gears 5 video they literally copied their verbiage from an interview the devs did on Eurogamer. They did no actual work themselves. they didn't analyze anything just took whatever the devs said and used it. Just real lenient on Xbox stuff and harsher on PS4. They guy that did the video and helped found DF came out and apologized and said he was burnt out, and blah blah blah. Just take their stuff with caution like everything on the net.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Digital Foundry is part of Eurogamer.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I know but maybe some people didn't and I was trying to keep it simple.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dunno about any of that stuff more that theyve got insanely clickbaity and weird lately

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The retro stuff is good. I do not trust anything they say about gfx unless it is quantifiable (fps/resolution)

They say poo poo about shadows and other effects that are not true at all. Borderlands 3, gears 5, and some other videos are more hype/spin than actual analysis

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

Digital Foundry is part of Eurogamer.

You can't trust them, the console warriors are much more reliable than DF who've been providing respected tech analysis for years. By the way, ever noticed how when you look at the horizon it's flat rather than curved?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
oh gently caress, a youtuber called them out lmfao. Digital Foundry is Cancelled

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

You can't trust them, the console warriors are much more reliable than DF who've been providing respected tech analysis for years. By the way, ever noticed how when you look at the horizon it's flat rather than curved?

their actual analysis of things they have physical access to to analyse are still very good. them looking at a photo of a box and literally just speculating is worthless. its nothing. it is not an analysis, its pure speculation.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you cant analyse something when you dont actually have the thing in front of you to analyse and are just looking at a photo of the thing. i shouldnt have to explain this to adults.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

There's more to the article than that but lol @ whining about this when the overall message is positive considering it looks like both manufacturers will be providing big upgrades compared to the current gen when it launched.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Digital Foundry recently did a 20 minute video advert for Star Citizen. They're really professional.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

There's more to the article than that but lol @ whining about this when the overall message is positive considering it looks like both manufacturers will be providing big upgrades compared to the current gen when it launched.

no there isnt, the article is entirely speculation on why its big coupled with discussing microsoft claims on teraflops and speculation on technologies we dont have access to as the console doesnt exist anywhere to evaluate yet. theyll do this same thing again with the ps5 when sony throws out pointless numbers to make it sound impressive. and saying "it looks like both manufacturers will be providing big upgrades compared to current gen when it launched" is like... yeah obviously. the ps4 did to the ps3. thats the entire point of a new generation of hardware. but also our only info so far is the typical pre release fuzzy claims from microsoft on one sku, and literally nothing at all from sony.

like this is so not tech journalism and it kind of sucks to have to explain all this. all this stuff before the consoles are in the hands of people to actually analyse, is marketing. ms and sony both do it every gen and to get sucked in by it is just so bizarre to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're tech nerds and they like talking about and speculating on these things and they've made a following because lots of people also enjoy that type of content. I don't think they've ever labeled themselves as serious journalists who only deal in hard facts.

Live a little dude.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

American McGay posted:

They're tech nerds and they like talking about and speculating on these things and they've made a following because lots of people also enjoy that type of content. I don't think they've ever labeled themselves as serious journalists who only deal in hard facts.

Live a little dude.

thats literally the point of digital foundry as opposed to eurogamer proper

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digital Foundry is pretty all right and their performance guides have been helpful in this confusing post-RTX world. John Linneman's undying love for 100-lb CRT monitors is a little strange but it's not like I'm about to go out and buy a 2004 Sony Triniton.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stux posted:

it kind of sucks to have to explain all this

Then don't, your posts are garbage and nobody will care if you stop because you're just going round in circles not even really knowing what you're arguing about at this point. You got triggered by a DF article so just go do something else instead

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

heeheex2 posted:

oh gently caress, a youtuber called them out lmfao. Digital Foundry is Cancelled

The youtuber was confirmed right by John Linneman himself and he talked to him and apoligzed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
DF is asmr for the unlovable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think you can call anything where European men talk about video cards "ASMR". Richard is endearing enough but the weirdo with the Hitler youth haircut can go take a hike.