Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The people who don't like twists and idols and stuff are clearly latching to Tommy as a "throwback" win who didn't need that stuff. I think that's kind of myopic. Tommy played with all those idols and twists and stuff, just not in his hands. The idol nullifier helped his game as much as it helped Dean's. The split tribe double vote put him and Lauren in a position of power. You can't divorce the game from one player's game.

Which is not to take anything away from Tommy. He got the votes, he deserved to win, and he played a good enough social game that he convinced a jury of people asking him what else he did that it didn't matter what else he did. But I don't think we're gonna get some extra perspective on the guy's game with time. It wasn't that interesting or exciting. He played with a lot of self destructive and smug players. There was some really ugly poo poo he benefited from. He was sitting next to a couple of goats but had to be taken there. Its a perfectly fine win but its nothing special.

But I do think once the stink of this season rubs off the anti-twist fans will really get behind that whole "pure/throwback" win idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I think Tommy's win will become more appreciated over time, compared to say Ben or Chris. In the moment people are pretty upset about 5 straight male winners and just how poo poo the circumstances of season 39 were.

Tommy’s win is fine, but I don’t think his game will be more appreciated because who’s going back to watch this shitshow again?
The other bad season, good winner seasons the winner was also recognizably playing an outwardly good game. Tommy’s game was too low-key to even get that retrospection.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

The people who don't like twists and idols and stuff are clearly latching to Tommy as a "throwback" win who didn't need that stuff. I think that's kind of myopic. Tommy played with all those idols and twists and stuff, just not in his hands. The idol nullifier helped his game as much as it helped Dean's. The split tribe double vote put him and Lauren in a position of power. You can't divorce the game from one player's game.

Which is not to take anything away from Tommy. He got the votes, he deserved to win, and he played a good enough social game that he convinced a jury of people asking him what else he did that it didn't matter what else he did. But I don't think we're gonna get some extra perspective on the guy's game with time. It wasn't that interesting or exciting. He played with a lot of self destructive and smug players. There was some really ugly poo poo he benefited from. He was sitting next to a couple of goats but had to be taken there. Its a perfectly fine win but its nothing special.

But I do think once the stink of this season rubs off the anti-twist fans will really get behind that whole "pure/throwback" win idea.

The split tribe vote put him 1v4 against the tribe that got dunked on the first several weeks. Nobody had to share any of that information but they did and from what we saw it was mostly just to him. I think you're underselling his social game. It was a lot better than "good enough". Basically made it so he didn't have to play an exciting game to get to the end.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Elaine said that something like the last seven people all thought they were his #1. That's pretty impressive.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Adus posted:

pony: Kellee, that quote speaks to me

poison: chelsea

i don't even remember who chelsea was so i guess this worked out

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

Anyone who didn't do exit press. Elizabeth, Missy, Aaron.

Elaine and Karishma enthusiastically did exit press.

Kellee also only did email exit press. I’m leaning more towards those people not doing it because of CBS stepping in, and Jamal shrugging and going, “I don’t care.”

Elizabeth is probably looking to wash her hands of Survivor. Only person who didn’t do any exit press at all, and not showing up for the reunion.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

it's fun going back to the preseason quotes now that I know who people are.

do we really believe Noura has never done a drug?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

professor metis posted:

it's fun going back to the preseason quotes now that I know who people are.

do we really believe Noura has never done a drug?

Pretty much anyone who ever says they have never done a drug is a loving liar. Aspirin and caffeine are drugs. The Novocaine you get during a dental procedure is a drug. Drugs are everywhere and in basically everything.

I understand she almost certainly means she's never taken drugs in a recreational sense, but I still just hate when people say "I've never done drugs."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Pretty much anyone who ever says they have never done a drug is a loving liar. Aspirin and caffeine are drugs. The Novocaine you get during a dental procedure is a drug. Drugs are everywhere and in basically everything.

I understand she almost certainly means she's never taken drugs in a recreational sense, but I still just hate when people say "I've never done drugs."

Lol this is some pedantic nonsense. Everyone knows what it means when you say you haven't done drugs. It means you don't take drugs for fun to get high. What a weird thing to get mad about

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 20, 2019

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
She probably says that because no doubt she constantly gets asked what she's on.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Lol this is some pedantic nonsense. Everyone knows what it means when you say you haven't done drugs. It means you don't take drugs for fun to get high. What a weird thing to get mad about

I disagree because it puts a stigma on recreational use of drugs which the vast majority of the world does in some form or another, whether those drugs are legal or illegal.

Someone who smokes cigarettes or drinks and says, "I don't do drugs" is being disingenuous because they are absolutely using a drug for fun and to get high. People who are addicted to coffee are doing it to get high.

Instead of saying "I don't do drugs," people should say they only use drugs when prescribed or something along those lines.

I freely acknowledge that it's pedantic and a bit of a pet peeve, but I'm the child of a pharmacist and regular drug user myself so it just irks me.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

evilemu posted:

Were Rob and Sandra at FTC? Their reactions at tribals were unscripted and the best moments they were on camera. I was really looking forward to seeing them when the jury had a chance to speak.

I'm not even sure if they were at the final 4 or 5 tribals. I'm pretty sure they got on that boat and went straight to whatever hotel they got to hang out in waiting for the rest of the season 40 cast to show up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

freeman posted:

She probably says that because no doubt she constantly gets asked what she's on.

yeah true, I can buy that she's just naturally on a high all the time

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Brb getting high on caffeine

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Brb getting high on caffeine

Do you not think you are getting high from caffeine?

You get a boost of energy and some focus from it, right?

That's the high. It's just usually called wired when it's an upper like caffeine or cocaine.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TMMadman posted:

That's the high. It's just usually called wired when it's an upper like caffeine or cocaine.

I think you need a chill pill

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
what the gently caress

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wish Dean could have played the Nullifier on this derail instead of Janet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TMMadman posted:

I think Mormons should be more concerned about being caught hiding $100 billion instead of derailing the Survivor thread over caffeine.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Hey remember when that one guy had a sleep boner and was rubbing it up against a tribemate back in like season 2-4?

I wonder why the producers didn't come up with an assault strategy after that incident. Also, I've not heard anyone bring that up in context of this season and it seems weird to me.

Rich put his naked dick on someone and they quit. Jeff negged her

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Hey remember when that one guy had a sleep boner and was rubbing it up against a tribemate back in like season 2-4?

I wonder why the producers didn't come up with an assault strategy after that incident. Also, I've not heard anyone bring that up in context of this season and it seems weird to me.

I remember Grindgate, it was Thailand. Big Ted was grinding on Ghandia in his sleep, they talked about it was an accident, and moved on. Then she got pissed because she heard he was downplaying it, so they had a tribe meeting and aired it all out. Sort of different, and it was openly handled in the game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No thanks, I don't drink

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big Taint posted:

I remember Grindgate, it was Thailand. Big Ted was grinding on Ghandia in his sleep, they talked about it was an accident, and moved on. Then she got pissed because she heard he was downplaying it, so they had a tribe meeting and aired it all out. Sort of different, and it was openly handled in the game.

This is it. I forgot about the Rich dong thing. So that's two incidents already. The point is that it happened along time ago and production should have been well prepared by this point.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This is it. I forgot about the Rich dong thing. So that's two incidents already. The point is that it happened along time ago and production should have been well prepared by this point.

That's kind of the whole point of MeToo. ALL of America should have been prepared by this point. This stuff happens CONSTANTLY. But until this movement, nothing changed.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Production had 150 to 200% prior incident precedent and should have been better prepared by now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I think Tommy's win will become more appreciated over time, compared to say Ben or Chris. In the moment people are pretty upset about 5 straight male winners and just how poo poo the circumstances of season 39 were.
People are also blaming f4 firemaking for the stretch of male winners, and I agree it doesn't help, although it's pretty muddy figuring out exactly how much it's contributed. Lauren for example could have won if she made it to the f3, but without fire she would have just been straight voted out at 4 anyway. But this is a case of the fire not saving a good woman player when it has put men like Wendell through in the past. Step back another level though and think about it, and women certainly are just as capable of making fire as men, and in this season Janet was widely known as the best firemaker (and we saw Kellee start a fire when Jamal failed).

Anyway, overall I figure it isn't helping women, but is helping the type of players Jeff likes, and so even if it should go it'll stick around unless the number of male winners becomes overwhelming.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, good point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I suppose more men might do it around camp out of some MeManMakeFire ego bullshit but there's nothing stopping women from practicing and being good at fire making. It's not even a muscle thing with two sticks. They have loving magnesium in addition to just flint and steel.

That would have been cheating for fire making contest in Cub Scouts. I think if eleven-year-olds can do it with wet twigs and a real piece of flint, any adult should be able to do it with goddamn chemical accelerants

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Men definitely have more practice at fire building techniques just due to upbringing and stuff like boy scouts buuuuuut also when you know the firemaking challenge is a thing maybe spend a day to learn the basics of how to build a good one before going out there. The reason Dean won the firemaking challenge wasn't because he was better at starting the fire, it's because Tommy showed him how to be better at building one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Men definitely have more practice at fire building techniques just due to upbringing and stuff like boy scouts buuuuuut also when you know the firemaking challenge is a thing maybe spend a day to learn the basics of how to build a good one before going out there. The reason Dean won the firemaking challenge wasn't because he was better at starting the fire, it's because Tommy showed him how to be better at building one.

Until they throw some curveball about needing to use a different method, there is no challenge whatsoever in practicing at home. It's not like boy scouts typically use magnesium or machetes to do it (or coconut husk for that matter).

This is a bit like saying that swimming challenges are racist because POCs are more likely to live in urban areas and be less wealthy and both lead to less childhood exposure to swimming. Like, yeah, it's true, but it's survivor and the whole conceit of the show is that you're going to be swimming and making fires and poo poo. (and throwing beanbags in holes and solving slide puzzles).

Firemaking can be learned in a week before the show, swimming not so much.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's why I didn't talk about swimming :v:

Also the husks and machete stuff was why I specified learning how to build one (which, again, was why Lauren lost the firemaking). Learning how to start one with the tools you're provided would be stuff you learn while you're out there because it's probably harder to replicate at home. I figure any fan of the show understands the process of starting a fire with flint and magnesium and machete, it's just a matter of actually doing it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can promise you I'd know how by the 28th day

I guess doing that poo poo all the time might paint a target on you but there's not much to do out there so I figure as long as you are also providing and being social you could get away with it

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Next season looks cool.
I'm happy they are finally able to do an all-winner game. Parvati for the win.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I mean, like, Lauren did say she practiced firemaking before she went out there. She just seemed to focus more on starting it than on building it up.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I mean, gently caress it's day 39 (I think?). You've been on a beach for 39 days. That's 38 days after you arrive on the beach and know the final 4 challenge is going to involve making a fire with the stuff you can find on your beach. If you get to the final 4 fire making challenge and can't make fire, you should lose and go out at 4!

Saying the fire making challenge is favorable to men based on the winners from when it started is pretty odd. Considering most of the females that have been at the end didn't likely lose because of the fire making challenge...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Point of order

Female is not a noun when referencing human beings

You contrasted men/:females:

Please don't

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't mind the season but wow what a dumb ending. I loved how Dean had a chance until he opened his mouth and acted like he was owed the win.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all, love island autoplayed after trying to catch some moments I missed from the reunion show first time. This is the worst Survivor show I've ever seen. No challenges so far, I don't think there's even a prize, and the closest thing I can relate this show to is Onion's Sex House. At the time, I took is as a parody of Big Brother. Also the horniness of this show seems weird on a network that blurs out hard nipples in bathing suits they chose. CBS desperately wishes they could moonlight as showtime

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I didn't mind the season but wow what a dumb ending. I loved how Dean had a chance until he opened his mouth and acted like he was owed the win.

He was staring if into space (or the wrong camera lol) and acting like a belligerent rear end the whole FTC

He could be utterly bristling with idols and I wouldn't want to give him a million acting like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Next season looks cool.
I'm happy they are finally able to do an all-winner game. Parvati for the win.

I don't think we have to spoiler the all-winner theme anymore. Unless it's the second bit that's meant to be the spoiler. If so, :dogcited: