Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bongo Bill posted:

The Rise of Skywalker is what you get if you make a Star Wars movie that removes everything that prequel haters say they hate about the prequels.

Also about TLJ! Of course by and large those people hate ROS regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Eimi posted:

PT is Republic rules the galaxy...somehow doesn't have a navy or army until some shady offers to make some clones? And also the separatists are just made up of robots?

Don't know the canon answer, but the logical assumption is that most of the Old Republic's member systems had their own militaries to handle local issues and defend themselves if need be. I imagine most were opposed to creation of a central military as to prevent what ended up happening.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
One recurring theme I noticed in this movie is repetitive dialogue. Like, literally repetitive dialogue, in that so many exchanges feature the exact same word or phrase spoken several times, sometimes with slight changes and sometimes verbatim. "They fly now? They fly now." "I don't believe you believe that." Etcetera. We've gone beyond things being like poetry and rhyming to just being stuck in loops.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

One recurring theme I noticed in this movie is repetitive dialogue. Like, literally repetitive dialogue, in that so many exchanges feature the exact same word or phrase spoken several times, sometimes with slight changes and sometimes verbatim. "They fly now? They fly now." "I don't believe you believe that." Etcetera. We've gone beyond things being like poetry and rhyming to just being stuck in loops.

this is pretty much just how major blockbusters are written now

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

romanowski posted:

Blockbusters are written, now?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Whenever they decide to do another trilogy, I would just like them to plan it all out from the beginning instead of whatever bullshit they did this time.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

romanowski posted:

Yeah, I dunno if you call it "quippy-ness" or "Whedon-esque" or whatever, but it drives me up a wall and makes supposedly fun movies totally grating to my ears.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
How Palpatine survived the fall

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Onmi posted:

I mean the throne room brawl is really bad in my books, remember when the CGI'd out one of the troopers weapons mid-swing because it was going to hit Rey?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/146858340352393217/657082842710409217/1576725881133.webm

Like... it didn't have any real emotional weight, so I wasn't invested on that end, and technically, it wasn't very well choreographed, it just seemed kinda clunky.

Yeah, I've had the dagger issue explained to me ad-nauseam; everyone on the internet is so quick to point that out lol. It's a flub in the choreography, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the throne room brawl because of how strong the character work is that fuels the underbelly of the fight. Just like in Revenge of the Sith when there's a continuity error with the lightsaber hilts during the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight, I don't mind it because I put story and character first before I go seeking out movie details that don't line up. But even then, I personally don't let minute details like that detract from my engagement with character and story.

I've already gushed over why I think TLJ's throne room brawl is fantastic in this thread, so I'll just quote myself instead of reiterating my thoughts again:

teagone posted:

Hard disagree. There's a lot to like about the [throne room brawl]. It's visually striking in both color and structure, and the camera movement/editing captures the choreography in such an effective manner that makes it all not just look super violent, but it also feels super violent. Those hard hits and sparks spewing about are such a great addition to upping the brutality not really seen in lightsaber fights before it. The sequence as a whole is a great technical feat that showcases the hero and the villain in absolutely compelling fashion.

In context of the narrative it's even better imo, putting said hero and villain in a situation where they're working together. I love that. I love how it also conveys a contrast of characterization for Rey and Kylo through their fighting styles. Kylo Ren remaining calm and collected with measured strikes while Rey unveils an even more ferocious mirror or herself than we saw when she bested Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base. My personal favorite moments actually happen just before the brawl ensues; Rey wielding Kylo's saber was such a great character moment, and when Kylo force pulls Rey's saber into her hand after cleaving Snoke in half as the iconic music starts to swell is just pure cinematic joy.

[edit]

Regarding the fight having no emotional weight, I found my initial gushing over the throne room fight just after seeing TLJ for the first time too, where talk a bit about how strong I feel the narrative is, and the budding character dynamic going on between Ben and Rey:

teagone posted:

[The throne room fight] definitely is my personal favorite bit from the film; tops even Luke's ascension into a legend of mythic proportions for me. The entire sequence is just so cinematically perfect entertainment. The drama, the suspense leading up to Snoke's betrayal, the adrenaline rush when, for a moment, you see the good in Ben just as Rey does — the music owns here too, and definitely helps sell you on this notion of "what if Ben is a good guy now" and "holy poo poo this is happening" perfectly. You can really just feel the weight of what had just happened and what it means to both Ben and Rey at that moment before they join forces. Love it. Then the bit just blows the door open to cinematic badassery when Rey and Ben go back to back. Not to mention the action and choreography during the brawl is the best in the entire saga so far imo. So good

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 20, 2019

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

sportsgenius86 posted:

Whenever they decide to do another trilogy, I would just like them to plan it all out from the beginning instead of whatever bullshit they did this time.

There's tons of people saying, "Imagine if JJ had done all of them?"

gently caress that hack. I would have been so much happier if Rian Johnson did Rise of Skywalker. In hindsight, The Last Jedi was the only interesting film of the bunch and the only one willing to explore complicated motivations and concepts.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Having one person's vision behind it with director's adding their spin would've been fine but yeah. There was no unified direction beyond "1. Star Wars 2. ??? 3. Profit"

Though if it was purely JJ's vision we still would've gotten this trash. But even more so.

Pook Good Mook posted:

There's tons of people saying, "Imagine if JJ had done all of them?"

gently caress that hack. I would have been so much happier if Rian Johnson did Rise of Skywalker. In hindsight, The Last Jedi was the only interesting film of the bunch and the only one willing to explore complicated motivations and concepts.

This. Rian should've gotten the whole drat thing. He actually injected a voice and made the movie about something other than lightsaber noises.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

People in my theatre were applauding at every cameo it was so cringe-worthy

Nobody cares! Nobody loving cares! Nobody cares that they made a Madam Tousseau model of Carrie Fisher and used it like a digital muppet, no one cares that the movie is built on contempt for the previous one and suffers for it, nobody cares that the movie pulls all sorts of cheap tricks to make death into drama and instantly undo it TLJ-style, nobody cares that the movie gave up trying to do anything original and just redid Return of the Jedi again, nobody cares that the fanservice rings hollow when there’s no substance or real respect to back it up.

None of that. Just Tweets crying over the botched end of a science fantasy movie saga like it was the second coming of Jesus for internet points and goodfeelies like a nerdy substitute for heroin. Just fake, fake, fake.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pollyanna posted:

Nobody cares! Nobody loving cares! Nobody cares that they made a Madam Tousseau model of Carrie Fisher and used it like a digital muppet, no one cares that the movie is built on contempt for the previous one and suffers for it, nobody cares that the movie pulls all sorts of cheap tricks to make death into drama and instantly undo it TLJ-style, nobody cares that the movie gave up trying to do anything original and just redid Return of the Jedi again, nobody cares that the fanservice rings hollow when there’s no substance or real respect to back it up.

None of that. Just Tweets crying over the botched end of a science fantasy movie saga like it was the second coming of Jesus for internet points and goodfeelies like a nerdy substitute for heroin. Just fake, fake, fake.

Nobody cares because its legitimately good.

Edit:

But I'm happy that TLJ exists as a blueprint to not be afraid to do something different when its time to do something different (without being pretentious boring shite next time, of course). I also think the middle part needed to be slower and exposition based with both the first and last being such a loving sprint. Otherwise, I'm not sure JJ would have remembered to actually put any exposition in at all.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 20, 2019

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ferrinus posted:

Also about TLJ! Of course by and large those people hate ROS regardless.

Yeah it’s super weird. All the chuddy prequel-memeing edgelords who’ve spent the last two years bitching about TLJ and SJWs got their wish of a movie that actively backtracks a whole bunch of the stuff from the last movie and... they’re the same people who still hate RoS.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

Nobody cares because its legitimately good.

I don't hate it, but it was thoroughly meh most of the time. Similarly, I don't hate the people who liked it.

But don't call it good. We can do better than enable plodding pandering garbage. Enjoy it for what it is but demand better.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hazo posted:

Yeah it’s super weird. All the chuddy prequel-memeing edgelords who’ve spent the last two years bitching about TLJ and SJWs got their wish of a movie that actively backtracks a whole bunch of the stuff from the last movie and... they’re the same people who still hate RoS.

Pretty sure the people who didn't like TLJ for whatever reason didn't want the next movie to undo it all because they had already given up on the franchise.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hazo posted:

The Empire was pretty explicitly racist/sexist/fascist/right-wing authoritarian. It wasn’t subtle. The FO seems to be more integrated though.

She was one of the voices that spoke to Rey, along with a bunch of other prequel and OT Jedi. In the last movie the last remaining Jedi were Luke followed by Rey. I have no idea why anyone would think Ahsoka or any other Jedi would be around.

She was very specifically not a Jedi so this is just another fan service thing that will result in some other series being written into a corner because "Ahsoka has to be dead by the time the events of TROS".

teagone posted:

Regarding the fight having no emotional weight, I found my initial gushing over the throne room fight just after seeing TLJ for the first time too, where talk a bit about how strong I feel the narrative is, and the budding character dynamic going on between Ben and Rey:

Except that Ben isn't good in the lead up to the Throne Room fight - He is explicitly eliminating a threat to his power and taking advantage of Rey to help him secure it. The moment after the fight is over he reiterates that she's nobody without him and that she has to let her friends die in order to have a real future. How is any of that "good"?

The best thing to come out of that fight are the various fan edits with different music over it (I'm partial to the one's that use Toxic, Immigrant Song, and the Chain).

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Hazo posted:

and... they’re the same people who still hate RoS.

"Give us a real Star Wars movie! The total opposite of TLJ. No, not like that you're doing it wrong :saddowns:"

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

Pretty sure the people who didn't like TLJ for whatever reason didn't want the next movie to undo it all because they had already given up on the franchise.

Yeah. TLJ totally killed my interest in 9 but trying to win over people who hated it by making it so nothing mattered from TLJ (or rather, more of it didn't matter ) was absolutely the wrong choice.

I mean, I just don't really care about the sequel trilogy in general after 8 other than to poo poo on it. Should have tried to suck up to TLJ likers, they still cared.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

"Give us a real Star Wars movie! The total opposite of TLJ. No, not like that you're doing it wrong :saddowns:"

Eh alt right rear end in a top hat opinion leaders like Dave Rubin are giving RoS the (softest) support. "Will add one thing...NOT A SPOILER BUT GENERAL THOUGHT... It’s very clear that JJ is true fan of Star Wars and not a fan of Rian Johnson."

They are judging the water right now on how to keep their nerdherd fans.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Dishwasher posted:

They literally want 3 Force Awakens

MrFlibble posted:

Yeah. TLJ totally killed my interest in 9 but trying to win over people who hated it by making it so nothing mattered from TLJ (or rather, more of it didn't matter ) was absolutely the wrong choice.

Not to put words in your mouth, but JJ could have made TLJ better if he'd taken some of the half-done concepts in it and expanded on it.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 20, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/boobooben/status/1207889476174929921

There's no way my screening will be this great but God drat I love the anger and the WHERES BEN

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was disappointed by Rise of Skywalker. I wanted more people to be unhappy. The leaks were so, so loving dumb, and I was pumped to see people lose their poo poo when they finally saw the movie.

And yet, they were okay with it all. Mental.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i loving love the rise of skywalker. probably my favorite star wars and i havent even seen it yet

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I was disappointed by Rise of Skywalker. I wanted more people to be unhappy. The leaks were so, so loving dumb, and I was pumped to see people lose their poo poo when they finally saw the movie.

And yet, they were okay with it all. Mental.

This but unironically

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Don't know the canon answer, but the logical assumption is that most of the Old Republic's member systems had their own militaries to handle local issues and defend themselves if need be. I imagine most were opposed to creation of a central military as to prevent what ended up happening.

After a war with the Sith, the Republic demilitarized and only had a group called Judicial forces (the people blown up at the start of TPM) that acted as a police force but otherwise local systems had to provide their own fleets.

That didn't stop shipbuilding companies from building mining ships and cruisers that could be outfitted with lasers or opening a subsidiary company inside the unknown regions to build ships for whoever had the cash.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Except that Ben isn't good in the lead up to the Throne Room fight - He is explicitly eliminating a threat to his power and taking advantage of Rey to help him secure it. The moment after the fight is over he reiterates that she's nobody without him and that she has to let her friends die in order to have a real future. How is any of that "good"?

Yeah... we know this in retrospect, for obvious reasons.

Instead of viewing the story through the lens of having already seen it and knowing the character motivations/implications/outcome, critique the story build up instead and how the film set a narrative goal of making the audience think that Rey might've actually turned Ben back to the light. Imo, the movie does a great job at doing so because 1) both the hero and the now villain in question are thrust into a scenario where they've joined forces after said villain had seemingly saved the hero of the story, 2) Rey and Ben have forged a quasi-relationship throughout the film via force connections that bolsters the notion that Ben might have actually turned good after killing Snoke, and 3) Rey's conversation with Luke about bringing Ben back to the light because she senses the conflict in him.

There's proper setup, and the payoff during the initial moments of the throne room fight I thought worked really well, character wise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think The Last Jedi gets a bit too much credit for just attempting, but largely failing, to say something; but that praise is understandable since it came after TFA, which went out of its way to be about nothing. It mainly just irks me that it gets so much credit for being a deconstruction of the OT when the prequels did the same thing in a much less sentimental manner.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

There's no way my screening will be this great but God drat I love the anger and the WHERES BEN

I'm glad that my various brain diseases are not this severe at least

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Eh alt right rear end in a top hat opinion leaders like Dave Rubin are giving RoS the (softest) support. "Will add one thing...NOT A SPOILER BUT GENERAL THOUGHT... It’s very clear that JJ is true fan of Star Wars and not a fan of Rian Johnson."

They are judging the water right now on how to keep their nerdherd fans.

Of course. If the anger dies, so do the clicks and Youtube revenue. Saying, "Hmph, not perfect, but better! :unsmith:" just isn't sexy or click-baity enough.

MrFlibble posted:

Should have tried to suck up to TLJ likers, they still cared.

Disney was never gonna do it, and was gonna probably suffer a dip at the box office regardless (as they will here), but this really was probably their best move. At least you had a group of vocal supporters this way and the potential for a cohesive story. I wouldn't like it as much, and it'd be a less delightfully pleasant stupid movie but the word of mouth of "This is dreck" wouldn't be out there.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

teagone posted:

Description of the Kylo/Rey team-up

I agree with your description of the fight and it's significance and emotional weight 100 %, which is why I can't forgive TLJ that it backtracks on that immediately after the fight ends, when it's revealed that Kylo is actually evil and supposedly irredeemable (as is implied later by Luke and Leia).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dishwasher posted:

Disney was never gonna do it, and was gonna probably suffer a dip at the box office regardless (as they will here)

It’s actually doing fairly well compared to expectations, I’ve heard.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

romanowski posted:

I'm glad that my various brain diseases are not this severe at least

gently caress that I'm gonna do my best to recreate this tomorrow when I finally go see it

I'm also excited to yell "he ghosted her after a first date"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ah yes, Ahsoka who famously quit the Jedi because she realized they loving suck even before Anakin did, now as to be shoehorned into becoming a Jedi again, great.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I just saw it. I saw it in a weird "4D experience" theater that had like seats that moved and blew air in your face and stuff, which added a lot since the movie feels a lot like a Disney park ride. It's a big dumb fan service ride but if you just shut your brain off and don't think about it too much, it's a pretty fun movie. Ian McDiarmid acts the gently caress out of his role as Palpatine and it owns. Any scene that he's not in, I found myself wishing he was in it.

It's pretty much a rehash of Return of the Jedi like TFA was a rehash of A New Hope, but it's not like Attack of the Clones bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Darko posted:

Ah yes, Ahsoka who famously quit the Jedi because she realized they loving suck even before Anakin did, now as to be shoehorned into becoming a Jedi again, great.

How did she quit, was she like Luke on some rock cut off from the force?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Captain Jesus posted:

I agree with your description of the fight and it's significance and emotional weight 100 %, which is why I can't forgive TLJ that it backtracks on that immediately after the fight ends, when it's revealed that Kylo is actually evil and supposedly irredeemable (as is implied later by Luke and Leia).

But RoS shows that Ben is redeemable and Rey is 100% right. I don't know, I think their relationship was one of the best things about the trilogy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm not sure who walks out of this movie really satisfied, other than children and people who are just generally captivated by bright flashing lights; and I don't think many kids even give a poo poo about Star Wars anymore.

Pollyanna posted:

It's actually doing fairly well compared to expectations, I’ve heard.

Thursday night returns were a touch below Last Jedi, but reportedly it should have a better week 1 gross just because of where Christmas falls in the week.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

General Dog posted:

I think The Last Jedi gets a bit too much credit for just attempting, but largely failing, to say something; but that praise is understandable since it came after TFA, which went out of its way to be about nothing. It mainly just irks me that it gets so much credit for being a deconstruction of the OT when the prequels did the same thing in a much less sentimental manner.

I don't even care about it being a deconstruction or subverting expectations, I like TLJ because it's cool. There's just a ton of times watching it where I said "oh hell yeah" and I found the story rewarded thinking about it and rewatching it. My favourite was the way Luke haughtily says the Force isn't about lifting rocks, only for Rey to triumphantly save the day at the end by... lifting rocks(The first time I watched it I got distracted at this bit so I missed Rey clumsily pointing this out in dialogue; Johnson doesn't write very good dialogue which frankly holds the movie back). Snoke just getting sliced in two and his top half flopping onto the floor in the background was sweet as gently caress too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mastershakeman posted:

Maybe the ST is going to turn into something campy like Rocky Horror where you watch it at underground poo poo hole theaters and scream poo poo at the screen the whole time.