Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ban internet from smartphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Thanatosian posted:

Yuuuuuuuup.

Except when you leave the house, smartphones are how the internet follows you.

Like, most of us aren't saying "nobody should ever use smartphones/the internet;" we're saying that the technology is dangerous, and we need to come up with some cultural mores/regulation/health practices that address it. It's a serious problem that people aren't taking seriously.

what possible "regulation," short of removing the profit motive from phone and app development entirely (which - to be clear - would be good, but isn't happening overnight), could be enacted that would successfully address the issue without pissing everyone off and causing way more problems than it solved

like I'm not saying there's no issues with smartphones but that really doesn't seem like the right way to go about it

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"All this technology is making us antisocial"

Stop blaming technology for what is a human condition. We're antisocial primates with overactive brains to begin with, and we'd rather distract ourselves with something in our hands rather than talk to the person next to us.
It's god damned books that are the problem!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tear down all cell towers.

(I work at a major telco)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

KozmoNaut posted:

Tear down all cell towers.

(I work at a major telco)

The more you're exposed to the technology the less you like it.

I certainly don't like smartphones but removing them would only be a stopgap until the next hellscape engine arrived. Smartphones also have significant useful functionality.

My ventilator has machine learning. I have a pretty bad case of the flu. The AI went all fuckwise as a result and I find myself trying to sleep while an AI keeps insisting I used to be healthier and demands I return to that state so it can keep using the values it had previously, and as a result keeps cutting off my loving air.

I hate Device. But ultimately the problem with Device exists without Device, Device just lets people pretend it's Device and not people.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

When you guillotine a smartphone do you cut off the top with the camera or the bottom with the charging port, because the camera is kind of like an eyeball which is the face but the charging port is like a mouth for electrons which is also the face, asking for a friend

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

blatman posted:

When you guillotine a smartphone do you cut off the top with the camera or the bottom with the charging port, because the camera is kind of like an eyeball which is the face but the charging port is like a mouth for electrons which is also the face, asking for a friend

You slice it long-ways, so the front and the back come apart. (Fun fact: this method of guillotining is the only method known to science for opening an iPhone.)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"All this technology is making us antisocial"

Stop blaming technology for what is a human condition. We're antisocial primates with overactive brains to begin with, and we'd rather distract ourselves with something in our hands rather than talk to the person next to us.

drat this gave me memories of people actually reading newspapers in public. i actually forgot people used to do that. drat im old.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

drat this gave me memories of people actually reading newspapers in public. i actually forgot people used to do that. drat im old.

most of them were randomly wandering their eyes around the pages of their giant "i do not want to hold a conversation with you" flag.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

actionjackson posted:

Actually they are problems with smartphones because they are designed to cause this behavior.

There are many people at these companies that work to make their app be as addictive as possible, i.e. to result in the greatest amount of screen time.

The 60 minutes segment with Tristan Harris and others demonstrates this very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awAMTQZmvPE

yeah but I just stare at the forums all day and nobody is making shitposting addictive I don't think

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

blatman posted:

Property isn't people and doesn't need to be treated humanely. Into the microwave!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

In case it wasn't clear I'm not advocating actually banning smartphones or some ridiculous poo poo (however I'd certainly be happy if they went away). However you have to acknowledge that tons of money has gone into making their apps as addictive as possible. Not only that, but when apps are designed to fight against this (as mentioned in the 60 minutes video) they are categorically rejected by Apple and Google.

I read the book "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism" and everything down to the color, shape and size of the FB notification icon goes through testing to find which one draws the most attention. There is nothing else remotely similar to this experience (again books, newspapers, etc. as mentioned above are completely different). Being 37 (:corsair:) and remembering what is was like well before smartphones and unlimited internet, I see smartphones as a whole as an absolute negative. Certainly the privacy and tracking issues strengthen this argument.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Dec 21, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
There were five people clogging the kimball platform after work today, because they were trying to walk and internet with varying amounts of success. The only reason I didn’t record it for the thread is that I’m still sane enough to realize recording strangers without permission in order to prove a point to other strangers online is absolutely buckwild.

Also lol to the self tattlin’ brain weirdo that tried to argue this is normal because humans are naturally antisocial. The two reasons humankind got this far was the ingenuity to invent pointy sticks and the natural social ability to bond and poke big things with them as a group.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
it's kind of a strange approach regardless of which side you're on bc half the point of smartphones is to communicate with people

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

mysterious frankie posted:

There were five people clogging the kimball platform after work today, because they were trying to walk and internet with varying amounts of success. The only reason I didn’t record it for the thread is that I’m still sane enough to realize recording strangers without permission in order to prove a point to other strangers online is absolutely buckwild.

Also lol to the self tattlin’ brain weirdo that tried to argue this is normal because humans are naturally antisocial. The two reasons humankind got this far was the ingenuity to invent pointy sticks and the natural social ability to bond and poke big things with them as a group.

Agreed with lol at "humans are asocial" however...

Humans are social... for the main 100 people they know and care about. Anyone else is a stranger who could be good or be a serial killer, let's play it safe.

To me the issue is that we are being slow to admit the limits of the human mind because our society steeped itself deeply into the Enlightenment idea of pure rationality and will. And welp, were just cleaned up circus animals who found a stick that can destroy the Earth, and smashing in that neaderthal's head worked out so, we're waving it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Capitalism must be destroyed before they get ahold of technology that will usher in post-humans.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Maybe I was being a bit of an rear end there, but I'm serious. I've seen the following many times:

A group of parents with their very young children all on their phones, ignoring them while they play.

People at restaurants ignoring each other, instead looking at their phones the entire time.

People ignoring their dogs while outside with them, just staring at their phones (as a dog owner this makes me the most upset).

And of course all the people using them while driving, endangering others.

If you really just pay attention to others in public, it's incredible how many people just can't help but have their phone out at all times. It's like another appendage.

Smartphones are designed to be insanely addictive. While it may not affect the physical health of others around you (well except for the driving thing), the effect on human relationships is awful.

Do you really think that is smartphones were never invented it'd be that big of a deal?

in the days before smartphones i did poo poo like this all the time with books

it's got nothing to do with electronics, and everything to do with people not wanting to stand around and be bored when they have some mentally interesting thing that they can carry with them

actionjackson posted:

I literally responded to the newspaper and book thing. Besides no stopping rules, those items are being manipulated by a team of engineers based on your reaction to it, and other newspapers and books.

Smartphones are completely dissimilar to any other prior form of media.

you think newspapers aren't being manipulated by a team of experts trying to make it as desirable to read as possible? the real danger isn't the engineers, it's the editors and marketers

what you're not getting is that "trying to figure out how to make things as addictive as possible" isn't something that was only invented in 2005. it's been an integral part of basically every piece of media created in the last half-century (if not longer). just look at people with crippling addictions to poo poo like Transformers or Sonic the Hedgehog or Star Wars. the internet has made these people more visible, but they were made slaves of media decades ago

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Personally I think the public phone usage thing is partly because they’re addictive but mainly because living in the moment, right now, sucks one and the best solution “polite” liberal society offers to its membership is to tut the people who have not yet realized we have shared values, so people are watching top ten New Anchor Fails while walking instead of looking where they’re going, since where they’re going is a cyberpunk landfill run by capitalists that wear jeans with their blazers, thus rendering them cool.

And I get that. I am generally listening to music or podcasts while outside, but my alienation from my environment still allows me to successfully navigate it without being a total rear end in a top hat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

it's got nothing to do with electronics, and everything to do with people not wanting to stand around and be bored when they have some mentally interesting thing that they can carry with them
[quote]

you think newspapers aren't being manipulated by a team of experts trying to make it as desirable to read as possible? the real danger isn't the engineers, it's the editors and marketers

what you're not getting is that "trying to figure out how to make things as addictive as possible" isn't something that was only invented in 2005. it's been an integral part of basically every piece of media created in the last half-century (if not longer). just look at people with crippling addictions to poo poo like Transformers or Sonic the Hedgehog or Star Wars. the internet has made these people more visible, but they were made slaves of media decades ago

Of course newspapers, books etc. can have good or bad content, or can be written in a way to bring someone in. I certainly don't necessarily trust newspapers! But your experience with these items is still radically different from a smartphone. That's all I'm trying to say.

the content of a book or newspaper is static; it isn't manipulated (in real time!) by a team of engineers based on not only your specific consumption, but the consumption of others

the maker or the (physical) book or newspaper doesn't collect information about you while you read their material and sell it to third parties

the book or newspaper doesn't make vibrations, sounds, or other distractions to try to get you to pay attention to it again.

the book or newspaper doesn't allow others to track your location.

the book or newspaper doesn't trigger FOMO.

for starters.

do you really think people reading/using books in public is at anywhere near the level of compulsive smartphone usage that we have today? do we have people compulsively reaching for a book that's not there, as some do with smartphones? are people interrupting their lives every 10-15 minutes to check their books, even in inappropriate situations such as while driving?

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Dec 21, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Last year my friends and I were on a trip and found ourselves sitting around a table at a cafeteria, all on our phones. A friendly old lady who worked there came and sat down with us to say hello but to also point out how antisocial we were being. We got a long lecture about how everybody stares at their phones all the time and how we're a lost generation. No one thought to tell her, but the fact is we were all staring at our phones because we were communicating to each other in a thread, plus texting one or two other friends who couldn't attend who we also wanted to keep in the loop. Talking in person would have been more exclusive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
suck it old lady

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

capitalism sucks and smart phones can be an always connected always nearby constantly updated gateway for personalized capitalism machines that effect its innate tendency to alienate selves in a powerful way

therefor

:capitalism:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Delete all social media apps, turn off all notifications except calls and messages sent directly to you, put phone in permanent do-not-disturb mode, fight the urge to check it every 5 minutes.

Then you can sort of kind of get away with owning a smartphone, without it monopolizing your time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
this thread devolves into a sort of Luddite position sometimes and it’s weird.

and not the actual luddites but their straw man caricature versions

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Last year my friends and I were on a trip and found ourselves sitting around a table at a cafeteria, all on our phones. A friendly old lady who worked there came and sat down with us to say hello but to also point out how antisocial we were being. We got a long lecture about how everybody stares at their phones all the time and how we're a lost generation. No one thought to tell her, but the fact is we were all staring at our phones because we were communicating to each other in a thread, plus texting one or two other friends who couldn't attend who we also wanted to keep in the loop. Talking in person would have been more exclusive.

im with the old lady on this one

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Some old lady should mind her own business if all she wanted to do was cuss out people engaging in a harmless activity that they enjoy

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

taqueso posted:

Some old lady should mind her own business if all she wanted to do was cuss out people engaging in a harmless activity that they enjoy

Agreed but it is funny to not just leave it there and instead justify their behavior with an essay about how they’re actually disrupting the old paradigms of chilling.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

oh that old lady is definitely rude but sitting around a table chatting to each other on your phones while not speaking is weird as gently caress

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Agreed but it is funny to not just leave it there and instead justify their behavior with an essay about how they’re actually disrupting the old paradigms of chilling.

Within the previous models I would need to schedule five separate hang seshes whereas now, thanks to the cloud, I am able to condense these interactions into one unending Megasesh.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Newspapers were the equivalent of caffeine.

Smartphones are more like heroin.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
i guess we were organizing a meet up with the other friends at the time which is why it was funny, we weren't just posting memes at each other or something

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Of course newspapers, books etc. can have good or bad content, or can be written in a way to bring someone in. I certainly don't necessarily trust newspapers! But your experience with these items is still radically different from a smartphone. That's all I'm trying to say.

the content of a book or newspaper is static; it isn't manipulated (in real time!) by a team of engineers based on not only your specific consumption, but the consumption of others

the maker or the (physical) book or newspaper doesn't collect information about you while you read their material and sell it to third parties

the book or newspaper doesn't make vibrations, sounds, or other distractions to try to get you to pay attention to it again.

the book or newspaper doesn't allow others to track your location.

the book or newspaper doesn't trigger FOMO.

for starters.

do you really think people reading/using books in public is at anywhere near the level of compulsive smartphone usage that we have today? do we have people compulsively reaching for a book that's not there, as some do with smartphones? are people interrupting their lives every 10-15 minutes to check their books, even in inappropriate situations such as while driving?

the newspaper is manipulated at least once a day, sometimes more often. it draws people in with new issues containing all new stuff on a daily basis, as well as being plastered everywhere and having big headlines so you'll get interested just from seeing someone else's. the newspaper already knows your location and uses it to drive location-specific content and advertising.

it doesn't have vibrations or notifications to keep you reading, but neither do the online newspapers and e-books I sometimes read on a smartphone

are people compulsively reaching for books? no. but they might compulsively reach for a pager or telephone or PDA or check the mail, because communication is much more engaging and time-sensitive than a book

fundamentally, there's nothing wrong with smartphones. they allow people to more easily access media and communication channels. yeah, the media and communication channels are mostly awful, but smartphones haven't fundamentally changed anything. if anything, they've just returned things to the status quo that the internet had (however briefly) shaken up

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

as an HCI grad and filthy tech worker, the idea that many smartphone apps aren’t designed to be addictive in the classic sense of the word is naive.

companies employ thousands of people like me to work on this poo poo, and it works better than a newspaper ever could.

it’s not healthy; smash capitalism.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
smartphones allow me to post on the go

therefore they must all be destroyed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redleader posted:

smart phones allow people to read the the latest Trump news and watch Trump gifs while sitting on the toilet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

redleader posted:

I agree, destroy all the technology that lets Garven Dreis post.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
everything is meant to be addictive, it’s not a new phenomenon. it’s the bread and butter of tabloid journalism

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Do you know how much psychometric research goes into making bread and butter?

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

everything is meant to be addictive, it’s not a new phenomenon. it’s the bread and butter of tabloid journalism

Yeah but were way better at it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

heroin level tech tree unlocked