Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

theblackw0lf posted:

Episode 2. I'm confused why did the sorceress teacher turn the other students into slugs, and have Yen push them in the pool?

Unless this is answered later

She's using them as batteries to power the school. If you don't remember the outside of the building is glowing with the same white color that's being put off by the water the eels are in.

Now for possibly not answered in that episode but should be obvious

It isn't consensual. I thought maybe it was because none of the girls we saw being turned tried to get away or even act shocked but towards the end of the season there's a line about it being non consensual.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

brb I'm gonna go read user reviews on metacritic and take a shot every time someone mentions slavic culture or wokeness

if i dont post again in 10 minutes assume im dead

RIP

Finished episode 1, I enjoyed Henry Cavill as Geralt, gonna watch episode 2 now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

After finishing the season I went back and rewatched episode 1 just now and thought it was a much better episode on a rewatch than it was the first time. Which maybe isn't praise because probably part of the reason why I liked it more is because I could fill in the missing plot details it left out of the episode itself.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Ep 3: Okay, the effects and filming are great, but the storyline here is a little... uh. The climax of Yen's origin story is she sacrifices her uterus so that she can get magical plastic surgery to fix her moderate disability, so that she can be the prettiest girl at the graduation ball? And the whole transformation sequence, while really well made, frames it as a transformation from monster to The Real Her. I know it's supposed to show that she's super determined and ambitious and she has to be prom queen at any cost to get the life opportunities she wants, and I might be being a dumb wokelord here, but it feels off that her coming of age story is build around answering the qestion "why is she so hot?".

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

Ep 3: Okay, the effects and filming are great, but the storyline here is a little... uh. The climax of Yen's origin story is she sacrifices her uterus so that she can get magical plastic surgery to fix her moderate disability, so that she can be the prettiest girl at the graduation ball? And the whole transformation sequence, while really well made, frames it as a transformation from monster to The Real Her. I know it's supposed to show that she's super determined and ambitious and she has to be prom queen at any cost to get the life opportunities she wants, and I might be being a dumb wokelord here, but it feels off that her coming of age story is build around answering the qestion "why is she so hot?".

while still being a very suspect storytelling decision, i suspect this will make somewhat more sense when you learn more about nilfgaard and why being assigned there is so awful

probably still just a fundamentally bad decision they made while trying to figure out how to do the 'magic makes you sterile' thing for the screen, though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought it was a gross and awesome depiction of paying a price.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I agree it doesn't come across great, but I think it's a natural bit of awkwardness that comes with showing her pre-transformation first.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Coming from the games, some of these pronounciations are making me flinch. Aydern. Aderin. Temeeria. Maharkam. Jaskier.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 20, 2019

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
For game/book readers, what do the male witches have to give up instead?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tehran 1979 posted:

I believe sorcerers are also sterile, though the game/books present it more as being immersed in magic just naturally making you infertile as opposed to they cut your balls off. Witchers are also sterile.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Mages go sterile from magic radiation.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Started watching this..

Anyone else having an issue with dialog being hard to decipher sometimes ? Seems muddy for some reason..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tehran 1979 posted:

Is this from games/books? In ep 7 she's extremely unlikable, thinks she's great but is hilariously incompetent and a hypocrite to boot.

Calanthe isn't a major character in the books beyond two appearances. She's famous for being a warrior Queen while the North struggles with squabbling male monarchs, but she's also an arrogant control freak who needs to get things her own way or she loses her composure and goes into a rage.

Interestingly enough Queen Meve starts doing a similar thing in the later books.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

This show is insane and i love it.

Edit: I'm on episode 5 now and it just keeps getting crazier.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 20, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think the greatest tragedy of the show is the lack of dong. Altered Carbon had it and this fails to fill those shoes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tehran 1979 posted:

Spoilering this cos it relates heavily to Ep 3: in the books/games mages use magic to shape themselves, which I think plays quite differently than magic plastic surgery from a stylish doctor. It's also very deliberately trading in stereotypes - sorceresses freeze their age when they're young and beautiful, while mages wait til they turn grey to try and milk the wise-old-sage look. So it's much less of an internal drive - people suck, and the world will reject you if you're not perfect

JBP posted:

I thought it was a gross and awesome depiction of paying a price.

Also this, especially with the very obvious visual parallels in the stryga fight

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man early reviews for this are all over the place. How is it?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

I think the greatest tragedy of the show is the lack of dong. Altered Carbon had it and this fails to fill those shoes.

I lolled when watching Altered Carbon and wondered if James Purefoy would do nude scenes similar to Rome.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Arglebargle III posted:

Man early reviews for this are all over the place. How is it?

My early review it's not very well acted so if you're looking for long well done talky scenes it might not be for you. But holy poo poo this show is insane and everyone should watch it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

cheesetriangles posted:

The Witcher franchise has always been cowardly about showing peen. Even Geralt's nude model in the third game just had a blank void where his cock-n-balls should be.

SHOW US YOUR DICK HENRY CAVILL

SHOW US YOUR DICK

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Haven't see it yet, but one criticism that I've heard is that important background information, like the Conjunction of the Spheres, the founding of the Witcher order, and their eventual decline is poorly explained, which on one hand means it's a completely accurate adaptation, but on the other has confused a lot of people that haven't read the books or played the game. Maybe they should have had a 3-5 minute "World of the Witcher" opening thing to set things up better?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

etalian posted:

I lolled when watching Altered Carbon and wondered if James Purefoy would do nude scenes similar to Rome.

He failed to disappoint.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
This was an entertaining watch and I'd love to see more of Geralt's adventures. I would be sad to not get a second season, even if it's not some huge masterpiece to be talked about for the next 50 years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The nice thing about the saga books is that even though they're more linear stories, they still split them up into standalone narratives, like a collection of novellas connected by a few short context scenes from background characters. Blood of Elves only has maybe seven or eight chapters but each one covers a different topic in sequential order and can be read as their own stories. So you could still jump to a geralt story and a Ciri story without changing the format too much.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Maybe they should have had a 3-5 minute "World of the Witcher" opening thing to set things up better?

Have Dandelion Jaskier try to sing a song in a random bar but a child keeps interrumping him asking lore questions.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Loezi posted:

This was an entertaining watch and I'd love to see more of Geralt's adventures. I would be sad to not get a second season, even if it's not some huge masterpiece to be talked about for the next 50 years.

They renewed it for season 2 over a month ago.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

pyrotek posted:

They renewed it for season 2 over a month ago.

Well ain't that good news then!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That was a fun ride. Way better than I expected though it had its weaknesses.

I didn't care for the battle scenes but individual fights were great. Acting was a mixed bag with Cavill and the guy playing Dandelion/Jaskier standing out as great.

People not familiar with the books/games will probably be horribly confused.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
inb4 the woke chuds start calling this ableist, also sexist because they didn't see Cavill's dick.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Henry Cavil is TOO perfect, he ruins the rest of the characters. Everything with him just works and is awesome, while the other characters/actors feel like they’re in a high school play.

Show is... ok. It starts weak and confusing and gets better as you go along. I don’t like Triss’s casting, Yen is ok, though the actress doesn’t sell the “inner power, quiet danger” thing well at all. Ciri is ok, Geralt is loving perfect.

Also, that elf chick in ep2 looked weeeeeeeeird, kinda downsy, and the elf dude wasn’t far behind

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 20, 2019

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I feel like I'm in a parallel world, because Cavill is the weakest bit for me by far. May be his weird eyes, but he just feels so wooden when he's monologuing. All the other main characters are great, but the extra are sometimes a bit funky. I'm looking at you episode 2 elves

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

lmao

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/netflix-the-witcher-review

They watch the first 2 eps, then skip to 5 and rate it a 0.

:psyduck:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
This show was kicking rad until I saw Geralt's stupid loving helmet.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

God dammit they changed (ep 5) how the djinn fishing went down. Show ruined, salt the earth etc etc

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

inb4 the woke chuds start calling this ableist, also sexist because they didn't see Cavill's dick.

I don't think you are using any of those words right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

God dammit they changed (ep 5) how the djinn fishing went down. Show ruined, salt the earth etc etc

You mean he doesn scream "begone and go gently caress yourself!" anymore?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

You mean he doesn scream "begone and go gently caress yourself!" anymore?

He does not.

How much of the established Elder Speech was in the book? I'm really missing some vattgherns and dhoine right now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m very excited to get home and watch this already!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's hella good! Excited to knock out the last two episodes tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

socialsecurity posted:

I don't think you are using any of those words right.

Woke chuds exist 100%, AKA point scoring rage trolls on reddit.
Ableist = Ableism characterizes persons as defined by their disabilities and as inferior to the non-disabled, AKA proto Yennifer.
sexist = nekkid broads and no Cavill peen

we good?