Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

olives black posted:

I'm an idiot and traded the leash for food in Path2. How hosed am I?

You were always hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sokani posted:

Not very, you just miss out on a better trade. Inventory space is so insanely limited early on that it's tough to imagine keeping the leash unless you have foreknowledge of events.

Yeah, no shmowder just means that some peeps are gonna die :kheldragar:

Arrhythmia posted:

You were always hosed.

:kheldragar:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pathologic 2 is now on out on the XBONE, including the Game Pass, so bully your X-Friends into playing it.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I adored Pathologic and was recently hospitalised due to one of my organs failing, which the docs came very close to removing before the drugs finally started to work, and have been spending my recovery time playing Pathologic 2 and removing other people's organs. This is the ideal way to experience the game.

Random thoughts:
*Think I preferred the voice acting, music, and sound design in the first game (HD edition), though it's still all really good. The plague district ambient sounds are extremely stressful and good and the triumphant music that plays after getting the blood is excellent.
*Abattoir sequence is the only time I felt the game got too obtuse (excepting the broken sequence in the termitary; see below). Had no idea what to do in that area the first time and died a lot. Needed more clarity.
*The dry humour is great. There's the aforementioned "You thought I brought in a baby" bit, and there's also the journal updates for Rubin: "Rubin can't surely be so stupid to think I'm a patricide?" > [talk to Rubin] > "Rubin is an idiot."
*In my first playthrough the Rat Prophet spawned after talking to Katerina Saburova. In a later playthrough he didn't pop up until after speaking to Grace at the cemetery, which scared the poo poo out of me to see him lurking quietly in the bushes when I wasn't expecting him.
*I love Bad Grief :3:
*I also love Aspity and wish you got more dialogue with her late game.
*Sending Grace to live with Peter is adorable.
*Wish you got some dialogue acknolwedging when you cure the kids. It's a bit silly for Peter to be angsting about how terrified/repulsed he is by plaguey, bandaged Grace when you've just cured her and she's standing there totally fine.
*The ending(s) feel rushed compared to the intro/tutorial, presumably due to budgeting issues.
*I extremely recommend drinking the serum immediately after the Changeling gives you the plague. What a great "gently caress you" feeling.
*I've been trying a playthrough where I cure everyone, though I let Anna die because I thought I wouldn't have enough cures for characters I actually like. Turns out out I had four spares left over by the end of the game and everyone else survived. Definitely pays to cram-loot nuts and raisins and trade with every little girl early in the early game. At some point I'll play a redo and save Anna as well.
*I've also got 15k roubles in this playthrough, all the best gear, more food than I can fit in my third-tier upgraded inventory, the shotgun (which I used exactly once), and a ludicrous amount of drugs. Still not got enough water though! Definitely recommend spending those first easy couple of days gathering, like, 70 bottles. And getting gears to fix water pumps.
*The key to success is understanding when certain items are rare and valuable and when they're not, and anticipating the change. And always max out the fund.

Final point on the termitary/schism quest with the apostates. I just had a nightmare of reloading to unlock the peaceful option path to solving the schism at the termitary and couldn't find any info online to fix the particular issue I was having, which was so obtuse I'd consider it a bug. So if anyone is having the same issue I am, this is the correct sequence:

1) Go to the termitary and speak to the kin to learn of the schism. Leave.
2) Be visited by Oyun's messenger. Go to see him.
3) Have two conversations with Oyun: one about going to the abattoir, one about healing the schism (he'll tell you it's impossible).
4) Do the abattoir quest, living blood, etc.
5) Sleep, dream, talk to your dead dad.
6) Return to the termitary. The hostile worms will have now despawned and the non-hostile worm you can speak with will be on an upper floor.

The problem I was having is that I did 2+3 before 1. You have the same conversations and get the same journal updates (about how you don't want to use violence to solve the schism & that there must be another way, and then how you now know how to touch the apostates' hearts and solve the schism non-violently) but you can't actually complete the quest. Very frustrating!

Overall the game could use another round of bug fixes (they're still patching I think?). Some of the ones I've been getting: all NPCs becoming uninteractable (fixed by restarting the game; first time I got this was after a death and Mark telling me I could no longer hug anyone so I thought it was deliberate which seemed a bit loving harsh even for Pathologic lol), infected NPCs disappearing (fixed by re-enabling them through game inspector), NPCs teleporting to places they're not supposed to be after being cured, Sticky eternally remaining outside the clothing shop waiting to steal a toolkit if you accept but don't complete that quest (even if he dies), voice reactions to NPCs being mugged by bandits inside houses loop endlessly every time ("Calm down! Calm down! Don't - let go!"), minor graphical glitches with NPCs appearing/disappearing weirdly, and a lot of little issues with dialogue not properly reacting to quest sequences.

These are minor complaints. I absolutely love this game. The ideal present to make Christmas plaguey and stressful!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Finally got playing this (P2) last night. It was a bit rough at the start, a lot of characters and terms are thrown at you, and I had no idea what might be important to remember and what's just flavor, all the while needing to dodge everybody, but after I got that sorted out (after I ignored everybody's advice, talked to Saburov, and was immediately arrested like everybody said), things began to come together and become interesting. It really started to pull me in early day 2, when a lot of plot points pick up and I started to learn how to navigate without looking at my map for every single turn. Really good stuff, definitely a very unique experience.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 21, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bolingbroke posted:

*The ending(s) feel rushed compared to the intro/tutorial, presumably due to budgeting issues.

It definitely felt to me that the budget just ran out at the point where the military finally appears. The game wonkily masks it by shortening the days but, yeeeaaah...

Bolingbroke posted:

*I extremely recommend drinking the serum immediately after the Changeling gives you the plague. What a great "gently caress you" feeling.

Isn't this what the game intends for you to do, or is the serum not the cure?

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't this what the game intends for you to do, or is the serum not the cure?

I think the game intends for you to save it for one of your many dying children as you get cured by touching the heart later anyway. In my most recent playthrough I was basically Scarface cocaine-ing shmowder so there was no need to save it.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Lhet posted:

Finally got playing this (P2) last night. It was a bit rough at the start, a lot of characters and terms are thrown at you, and I had no idea what might be important to remember and what's just flavor, all the while needing to dodge everybody, but after I got that sorted out [spoiler](after I ignored everybody's advice, talked to Saburov, and was immediately arrested like everybody said)[spoiler], things began to come together and become interesting. It really started to pull me in early day 2, when a lot of plot points pick up and I started to learn how to navigate without looking at my map for every single turn. Really good stuff, definitely a very unique experience.

This basically mirrors my experiences pretty closely. It took me about 2 weeks (of real time) to get to Day 4, and then about 24 hours to beat the game. I just couldn’t put it down after a certain point. The ramp up time is pretty brutal and honestly off putting if you’re not already invested in the game. I certainly don’t think Ice Pick needs to make a run-and-gun game but they could stand to make the beginning a touch more engaging.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Pathos posted:

This basically mirrors my experiences pretty closely. It took me about 2 weeks (of real time) to get to Day 4, and then about 24 hours to beat the game. I just couldn’t put it down after a certain point. The ramp up time is pretty brutal and honestly off putting if you’re not already invested in the game. I certainly don’t think Ice Pick needs to make a run-and-gun game but they could stand to make the beginning a touch more engaging.

This is really interesting for me to hear, because I thought the first half was the most fun and engaging part of the story, and the second half was flimsier (if still really good!) It might be because I played the original and was coming in with a) familiarity and b) certain expectations that the first half did a better job of meeting than the second

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

youcallthatatwist posted:

This is really interesting for me to hear, because I thought the first half was the most fun and engaging part of the story, and the second half was flimsier (if still really good!) It might be because I played the original and was coming in with a) familiarity and b) certain expectations that the first half did a better job of meeting than the second

It definitely picks up once you get a picture of things, but early on I was just confused more than anything, questions like: (I've now pretty much answered all these but it was a lot of confusion to have so much going on day 1)
-"The Kains built the spire? Are they magic users?"
-"This random person said something that sounds important, do I need to remember it?"
-"The executors seem to be people but are the tragedians ghosts somehow? Are they actually sacrificing by giving away their last food for a tutorial for me?"
-"My father was a steppe person but I'm not somehow?"
-"What is [X term] again? Was it even ever introduced to me yet?"
-"I'm surviving but not really stockpiling anything effectively because I have limited inventory. Am I just wasting time? What should i be aiming to trade for? Where can I store stuff?"
-"People are getting infected and dying, should I be looking for patient zero like you can do in Marble Nest?"

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

youcallthatatwist posted:

That’s fascinating. I had almost exactly the opposite experience. I do wonder how much that depends on whether or not you played the original game. My friend also never played 1 and he had almost an identical experience to me. Curious!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I decided to try OG Pathologic for what is now the third time and I'm already stuck and confused trying to find Rubin on day 1. Aaaaaaaaaaaah.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MiddleOne posted:

I decided to try OG Pathologic for what is now the third time and I'm already stuck and confused trying to find Rubin on day 1. Aaaaaaaaaaaah.

Rubin winds up back at the Kains if I remember right

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This very much mirrors my experiences so far.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Hello, hbombguymandude video watcher here. I bought Pathologic HD because he told me not to and boy am I happy but also depressed! I've just finished Day 3 of the Bachelor and I like the increasingly exclusive club I feel a part of as the percentage of achievement completers continues to shrink. I'm going to admit that had I come across the game independently I would have absolutely not even tried to figure it out, but the video did a great job. I don't mind all the spoilers and foreknowledge I have because the game is fascinating enough that I'm enjoying myself and the way the game makes me feel.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The game is about to screw you sideways if you've overstocked on medicine. Stupid inventory limits.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Does it count as save scumming if you ragequit after you intervene in a fight but accidentally knock out the lady being knifed in an ally so everyone hates you there

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Save points are in-universe objects, make use of them as much as possible imo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHA. :negative: :suicide:

Even after being warned by hbomb, even after making the warning myself in this thread. I still managed to get screwed over by a quest item being dropped without me noticing. I managed to backtrack back to it but then it was simply bugged and uninteractable. Just the bag-model on the ground mocking me. Thank god I had an earlier save. Never stocking up on stupid kerosene ever again.

EDIT: Hot take. Pathologic HD has ruined Pathologic 2 for me. This game is so much more relaxing. Or well, at least as the Bachelor.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 25, 2019

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Do you have to do the Day 4 testing thing yourself? It's not clear if that's mandatory or optional or what the rewards or consequences would be.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Nucular Carmul posted:

Do you have to do the Day 4 testing thing yourself? It's not clear if that's mandatory or optional or what the rewards or consequences would be.

Iirc no you don't. The only thing you have to do each day is the main quest.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nucular Carmul posted:

Do you mean testing different infected organs to see if you can make a cure from them? Because uh, in a game about curing a plague, tring to find a cure may be a high priority item

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Do you mean testing different infected organs to see if you can make a cure from them? Because uh, in a game about curing a plague, tring to find a cure may be a high priority item

That's for P2, not P1.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
P2: does the rusty scalpel degrade more quickly than an ordinary scalpel or is there no difference

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
After watching Hbomb's video I got a little disappointed, because it seems there aren't as many changes to the map as in the first one. town shifting depending on characters' perspectives seem loving cool, but IIRC in 2 there's only one that happens near the end?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Vookatos posted:

After watching Hbomb's video I got a little disappointed, because it seems there aren't as many changes to the map as in the first one. town shifting depending on characters' perspectives seem loving cool, but IIRC in 2 there's only one that happens near the end?

Not sure what you're specifically referring to - if you mean the actual topology of the town changing, that doesn't really happen in the original either

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
He means the map as in the representation of the town in UI.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I retract what I said about this game being more relaxing. The poop angels are bullshit.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Nucular Carmul posted:

I've read that you need to test 3 organs to progress the quest, but I can't confirm that. Mostly you want to do it because it will let you create antibiotics from infected organs, though I find it's a better use of time, resources, and inventory space to just buy antibiotic pills from shops > use them to treat rando infectees > max out the fund > buy more pills, rinse and repeat.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
When you treat the rando infected with the pills do you bother trying to actually diagnose them or just pick an antibiotic at random?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
diagnose them

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
What's the best way to secure a solid food stash? I'm up to day 3 and I'm constantly running on fumes. Whenever I go into red, I just run around from kid to kid hoping I find one with a fish to trade. What's the best way about this, should I build up cash and buy from shops, or is there a reliable trading path?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

What's the best way to secure a solid food stash? I'm up to day 3 and I'm constantly running on fumes. Whenever I go into red, I just run around from kid to kid hoping I find one with a fish to trade. What's the best way about this, should I build up cash and buy from shops, or is there a reliable trading path?

Theft.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
But I want to be a good boy :(

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Well, then it's murder.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

But I want to be a good boy :(

Bad news

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Go herb collecting in the steppe, especially at night, and then use some to make immune boosters and sell the rest for money at the broken heart. You can trade the potions to the herb brides for food, and you can buy nuts to trade with the kids. Food will also start to become less of an issue as of day 4 because of a new mechanic that'll be introduced. Other than that, just make sure to dumpster dive as much as possible for goodies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

grate deceiver posted:

Once the plague starts going into houses in abandoned districts(ones colored grey on the map where the plague was the day before) is a good way to get money and food.

Robbers will spawn inside the houses, but you can generally nab some stuff before they notice you, especially if they spawn on like the third floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Once the plague starts going into houses in abandoned districts(ones colored grey on the map where the plague was the day before) is a good way to get money and food.

Robbers will spawn inside the houses, but you can generally nab some stuff before they notice you, especially if they spawn on like the third floor.

If you're lucky they might spawn facing away from the doors as well, allowing you to sneak up and backstab them (or just like, punch them in the back, which will still be effective enough to down them before they can retaliate)