Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Is this another northern only thing?

They have onion in too, actually. Really nice, and extremely solid when cold meaning they're quite tidy to eat.
Labour will win back the North only when they promise to tackle the one true bigotry and make all pies square things from the 70s.

e: 367 was an old dialling code for north west Leicester exchanges that you still see in some local area numbers there's your obscure number fact.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bundy posted:

:gonk: what the gently caress

My gran used to make corned beef and potato pies that were the absolute tits

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if you could make a northern layer cake out of a corned beef slice, a layer of pease pudding, and a parmo on top. Served with a stottie.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Oh God crispchat has mutated into cornedbeefchat.

It's 5 days til Christmas, I can't believe nobody has a terrible food opinion about Christmas Pudding or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Christmas Pudding is the best British food because everyone agrees that you have to set it on fire before you serve it.

Except for those failures that don't believe in firepuds.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Can’t wait to try that mince pie recipe that someone posted.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if you could make a northern layer cake out of a corned beef slice, a layer of pease pudding, and a parmo on top. Served with a stottie.

So like a reboot with northern accents replacing cockney?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I recently found out that in America, the sausage roll is largely unknown. The barbarians.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Christmas Pudding is the best British food because everyone agrees that you have to set it on fire before you serve it.

Except for those failures that don't believe in firepuds.

Christmas pudding is fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The US afaik doesn't do meat in pastry as a rule for some reason, dunno why.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pablo Bluth posted:

I recently found out that in America, the sausage roll is largely unknown. The barbarians.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40392410

quote:

There has been a British outcry on social media after a US chain claimed to have invented a new summer snack that looks suspiciously like a sausage roll.

Supermarket Trader Joe's has called it the "Puff Dog".

Puff Dog lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

Americans are often more familiar with their version of "pigs in blankets" - a sausage wrapped in hard pastry, as opposed to puff pastry. In the UK, "pigs in blankets" are sausages wrapped in bacon, which are often served with Christmas dinner.

I'm sorry what?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

What is a pig in a blanket?

When it comes to pigfucking, I defer to the pigfucker.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
pastry does make the "pigs in blankets" metaphor a little bit less horrifying. here have these pigs, in nice little blankets. it's cold at winter time so we got them some lovely blankets to warm up in. snuggling up in the blankets. what are the blankets made out of? why, it's the flesh of their friends

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

So like a reboot with northern accents replacing cockney?
I approve of this and want to hear who would be the Northern Daniel Craig even if it's just because I don't want to hear whatever will come out of this Puff Dog thing.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

OwlFancier posted:

They have onion in too, actually. Really nice, and extremely solid when cold meaning they're quite tidy to eat.

Repulsive. When Bernie wins we'll advocate for an international coalition of the willing to liberate your island so no one ever has to eat whatever the gently caress that is ever again.

e: Might have to deprogram some portion of the population after. Like child soldiers, or children who grew up in cults.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Christmas pudding is terrible. Set it on fire and when it has been completely consumed by the flames, throw it on the ground, stomp on it, and then scoop it up and throw it at people who don't eat the marzipan and icing on Christmas cake.

Why yes I am hangry, what makes you ask?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Right that's it I'm declaring the free territory of south tees and welding a maxim gun to the back of a corsa none of you bastards are gonna take my goddamn corned beef slice.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Right that's it I'm declaring the free territory of south tees and welding a maxim gun to the back of a corsa none of you bastards are gonna take my goddamn corned beef slice.

Whatever else that you have got
The maxim gun I'm afraid it's not

It's just a well-used copy of Maxim.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Speaking of Christmas, can't wait for morning of the 25th when I get to take the traditional chocolate orange out of my stocking and gobble it all up yum yum :D

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I am northern and do not recognise that. However, it looks more appetising than your description!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Corned beef in cans is available in all the supermarkets around my bit of the US at least. And just like in Britain it all comes from South America so I don't think it's beef we should be eating really (even though that stuff is delicious).
They don't have sausage rolls though. I have to make my own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bundy posted:

I am northern and do not recognise that. However, it looks more appetising than your description!

The description isn't wrong, when you blend the potato and corned beef together it formes a very dense, remarkably solid paste.

You can take the pastry off and the filling stands up by itself, it's great.

Oh god I just had an idea, beef battenburg. Like normal battenburg but the quarters alternate between corned beef/potato and pease pudding. And covered in shortcrust rather than marzipan.

Fuuck now I need to find someone who likes pease pudding and try to make that for them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 20, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wikipedia posted:

Some people do not care for surströmming.[12] It is a food which is subject to strong passions, as is lutefisk.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
tip of the hat to whichever smug bastard who put a "quotation needed" on that one, and another to the smug bastard who delivered it

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Unkempt posted:

Corned beef in cans is available in all the supermarkets around my bit of the US at least. And just like in Britain it all comes from South America so I don't think it's beef we should be eating really (even though that stuff is delicious).

The secret is in the saltpeter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ha, how wrong you are Tijuana Bibliophile.

After the US trade deal I will be soaking all meat in caustic soda for six months before consuming,

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really you would think that once they have extracted the fluid portion of the beef to make bovril they would be able to use the solid portion to make corned beef.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

it was a horrific hateful attack, no doubt about it.

it's difficult though to see how sending a 16 year old to jail is ever going to have a good outcome for that person - who is in many definitions a child.

you would hope that the referral order, in which the victims may be involved, would lead this perpetrator to a genuine form of remorse, amends and rehabilitation

although with the justice & youth court system creaking with underfunding, it may not be the case

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

e: ^^ you must be new to willie_dee justiceposting

Love a cup of hot liquid beef in the morning

Dunk corned beef in it like a biscuit

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Ha, how wrong you are Tijuana Bibliophile.

After the US trade deal I will be soaking all meat in caustic soda for six months before consuming,

and you'll fondly think back to those days of unsavoured plenty when you're at the london sewer fatberg stage

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He goes by Boris now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

happyhippy posted:

Does she know any good Pink Slime recipes?
We are going to need some.

20lbs pink slime.
12 teaspoons salt.
1 teaspoon sodium nitrite.
4 teaspoons black pepper.
2 teaspoons nutmeg.
2 teaspoons cardamom.
2 teaspoons coriander.
2 teaspoons ground lemon rind.
2 teaspoons ground ginger.

Ground and/or mix properly. Stuff into small-ish sausage casings, optionally smoke with oak, cook at 80C internal temperature for two hours. Once done, use to fill a sausage roll.

EDIT: An useful note is that if you can't handle the texture of pink slime due to being unused to it, using potato starch or potato flour can help make it more palatable.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

nobody "eats" surströmming, it's just there to scare tourists

The true Swedish Monstrosity is caramelized cheese in a tube. Served by a cracker on a cracker.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 20, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

caramelized cheese in a tube

Hell Dimension Primula

e: my pump trigger discipline is on point

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 20, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
wayne

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh so I looked pink slime up and apparently they make maccers burgers out of it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Hello friends, I've been busy moving into my fiancee and I's new home so I've decided to skip all the backlog of posts from the exit poll to today to wish you all a merry christmas before scraping off paint consumes another week of my life

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bundy posted:

e: my pump trigger discipline is on point

Oh, is it kinkposting time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

Hello friends, I've been busy moving into my fiancee and I's new home so I've decided to skip all the backlog of posts from the exit poll to today to wish you all a merry christmas before scraping off paint consumes another week of my life

Why are u covered in paint?

Also congrats on what is presumably a positive life step! :)