Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

he really should be the party leader at this point, you're gonna need someone with hate in his heart to address the pain working people are going to be crushed under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i cant believe how powerfully the people voted for pain

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1208042844050665473

Most Racist Man in Britain at it again

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1208032905781534721?s=21

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open the blood gates

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of all the takes, "it's good that this notorious crook is free from all scrutiny because some of the people who might have something to say about how he behaves are also crooks" is possibly the most infuriating

no you idiots boris johnson is not going to "embrace his inner social liberal" or whatever bollocks you're anxiou about. he might not literally ban homosexuality again, but come the gently caress on

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i would not be surprised if johnson's government brings back hanging in 2023 or something

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

and my understanding is “crashing out with no deal” leads to the whole “were out of insulin and food but also we gave away free healthcare and social safety nets so we’re basically a wet rock covered in racist barbarians now” sort of thing?

There are only two possible ways that the UK can go. It either remains within the EU Common Market, which means that it defacto stays in the EU but loses its political representation/voting power. In that case it can't negotiate any trade deals with anyone because the Common Market always negotiates as a whole. Individual members can't have separate agreements.

The other alternative is that the UK leaves the Common Market, falls back to ultra lovely WTO rules and tries to negotiate separate trade deals with the whole world. This is the no deal scenario and it would be a massive disaster.

BORIS and the Brexiteers are selling the public some batshit insane fantasy about how the UK can remain within the Common Market but not follow any of the rules and how he can get it done. The UK would get special exemptions and wouldn't have to allow free movement of labor or be able to have some side deals(although no one can explain how that would even work) All of his demands are completely unimaginable, even if the UK had any kind leverage in the negotiations. But Boris doesn't give a poo poo about getting any results. He just wants to stay in power as long as possible and let his friends strip the country clean. Rip out every copper pipe and wire in the country, sell it for scrap and gently caress off. Man already abandoned ten kids or something with ten different women, the UK is just another victim of a man who doesn't give a gently caress about anything but the bling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the really insane ones want to crash out with no deal so that the very first trade deal si the one that fucks us with the US. If we get a trade agreement with the EU it'll have us closely tied to them on things like standards which obviously pisses off all the insane right wingers

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

completely subverting what's left of the welfare state does seem to be the core johnsonite agenda.

i'm still incensed that the "oh btw we'll go full enabling act on bojo and domcum" part of the actual loving manifesto wasn't caught by the idiot press until after the election. even i, a complete obsessive who actually read the loving thing, didn't cotton onto the implications

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

AnoHito posted:

And then the same thing happens with India.

In 2021 the UK signs a sweeping trade deal with China that legalizes the unregulated import of Chinese fentanyl as dietary supplements.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
the uk must embrace chlorinated chicken

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered Jeremy Clarkson was against Brexit.

Yeah, he's a Tory Remoaner.

How far gone are UK chuds?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
kind of funny for the uk to turn into a us colony because the uk fash wanted to form a lovely anglo axis or whatever

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

kind of funny for the uk to turn into a us colony because the uk fash wanted to form a lovely anglo axis or whatever

Imagine pinning your hopes and dreams on negotiating in good faith with the United States as currently lead by reality show star and consistent contractor stiffer President Deals.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mrmcd posted:

Couldn't the UK just, like, declare open borders on goods from the EU without reciprocation?

Like I know the gammons get all worked up about keeping everything French and Polish out but seems silly to let people starve because you can't figure how to inspect trucks fast enough.

i think there are lots of EU laws which couldn't allow this, especially for the good stuff (radioactive medicines, drugs etc).

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

the uk must embrace chlorinated chicken

when that "blood pudding" turns out to be pig poo poo

those bangers? logs of pig poo poo

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

Imagine pinning your hopes and dreams on negotiating in good faith with the United States as currently lead by reality show star and consistent contractor stiffer President Deals.

What's this weird narrative people here have where the tories don't know exactly what they're doing. Oh no the US has made us reduce food and environmental standards, how could this happen!?

They fukkin love this poo poo. They can't wait to burn everything down.

If you're talking about the British public I can assure you they don't think about trade deals. Our population is as stupid as yours only in a different way.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Victory Position posted:

when that "blood pudding" turns out to be pig poo poo

those bangers? logs of pig poo poo

you should be very afraid of us pork right now

DB Pooper
Mar 27, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

V. Illych L. posted:

i would not be surprised if johnson's government brings back hanging in 2023 or something

that would be awesome

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boris is gonna legalize water cannons so he can finally use them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The UK was whining about it ever since WWII showed they were another has been empire.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

What's this weird narrative people here have where the tories don't know exactly what they're doing. Oh no the US has made us reduce food and environmental standards, how could this happen!?

They fukkin love this poo poo. They can't wait to burn everything down.

If you're talking about the British public I can assure you they don't think about trade deals. Our population is as stupid as yours only in a different way.

Oh no the Tories know what they're doing. I meant the people who want Britannia to Rule the Waves again.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Squizzle posted:

to be fair it's mostly lead poisoned old people who still believe what the telly tells them to believe

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Squizzle posted:

lol if you trust ballot results

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

attn britgoons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7kx-ir6Ag

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

:emptyquote:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Oh no the Tories know what they're doing. I meant the people who want Britannia to Rule the Waves again.

It's like when people were shocked how Trump acted crazy and racist even after getting elected to the presidency.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

etalian posted:

It's like when people were shocked how Trump acted crazy and racist even after getting elected to the presidency.

face-eating-leopard party is a global institution

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
One day Old Father Lion went for a walk and found himself in a part of the savannah he had never been to before. Eventually he came upon a ditch, and across this ditch he thought he saw the most delicious dead antelope he ever saw! His old eyes however did NOT see the ditch! And down he slid, a-thump a-thump.

"Aoohaaa!" he cried!

Before Old Father Lion knew what was happening a colony of awful little ants began to swarm over him, biting and nibbling him so very much.

"Oooohooo!" he exclaimed! "What is hurting me!"

The ants spoke. "Greetings great one! We are glad to meet you and have our tiny eyes focused on delicious meat like you! That dead antelope up there can be yours if you let us carry you to it!"

"What of this terrible pain?" asked Old Father Lion.

"It is a small price to pay for us lifting you to such wonderful meat great one." said all of the ants.

And Old Father Lion, with his slow old brain replied "If you say so. Mmmmm, I can already taste that meat!"
"As can we!" said the ants.

It was then that an old anteater named Corbanga came upon the scene.
"Ayah! Old friend! Allow me to come down and eat those awful ants for you!" said the anteater.

"Eat them? Foolish anteater these ants are helping to get me delicious meat!"

The old anteater looked across the ditch and did not see anything but a red rock.

"Now go away nasty anteater! Or I will eat you up as well!" Old Father Lion bellowed.

The old anteater was forced to flee, a-tcha a-tcha.
And Old Father Lion sat, proudly, covered from head to toe in ants, and dreamed of succulent meat.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
That old lion is a right idiot if you don't mind me saying.
I mean, really.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it's sheer overconfidence, the uk and britain specifically thinks it's a powerful self-sufficient world player and definitely not a parasite on the rest of europe

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grape posted:

One day Old Father Lion went for a walk and found himself in a part of the savannah he had never been to before. Eventually he came upon a ditch, and across this ditch he thought he saw the most delicious dead antelope he ever saw! His old eyes however did NOT see the ditch! And down he slid, a-thump a-thump.

"Aoohaaa!" he cried!

Before Old Father Lion knew what was happening a colony of awful little ants began to swarm over him, biting and nibbling him so very much.

"Oooohooo!" he exclaimed! "What is hurting me!"

The ants spoke. "Greetings great one! We are glad to meet you and have our tiny eyes focused on delicious meat like you! That dead antelope up there can be yours if you let us carry you to it!"

"What of this terrible pain?" asked Old Father Lion.

"It is a small price to pay for us lifting you to such wonderful meat great one." said all of the ants.

And Old Father Lion, with his slow old brain replied "If you say so. Mmmmm, I can already taste that meat!"
"As can we!" said the ants.

It was then that an old anteater named Corbanga came upon the scene.
"Ayah! Old friend! Allow me to come down and eat those awful ants for you!" said the anteater.

"Eat them? Foolish anteater these ants are helping to get me delicious meat!"

The old anteater looked across the ditch and did not see anything but a red rock.

"Now go away nasty anteater! Or I will eat you up as well!" Old Father Lion bellowed.

The old anteater was forced to flee, a-tcha a-tcha.
And Old Father Lion sat, proudly, covered from head to toe in ants, and dreamed of succulent meat.

good post, this

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

previous entries in the old father lion story:

Grape posted:

I'm picturing an aged African village elder telling a just-so story about all this to a crowd of kids.

"Old Father Lion had long lost his great eyes and his great ears and could not tell he was being fooled, and so now the Eagle had talked him into his nest! But the animals of the savannah remembered Old Father Lion's teeth and claws and did not say anything to him. Not the spider, not the antelope, and not even the nosy Frog that could never keep his mouth shut!"

Grape posted:

"But we allowed you the best spot on the watering hole!" said the Young Grasshopper. A-hop! A-hop!

"And always a spot in the shade, when the sun was too hot!" said the Monkey. Keeheehee! Keeheehee!

"And when the storm came! We allowed you to share the cave we did!" said the Zebra. Clop-a! Clop-a!

"All true, this is all true." said Old Father Lion, "But I want my blue passport back."

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1208311908962570240

:yeshaha:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

GABA ghoul posted:

There are only two possible ways that the UK can go. It either remains within the EU Common Market, which means that it defacto stays in the EU but loses its political representation/voting power. In that case it can't negotiate any trade deals with anyone because the Common Market always negotiates as a whole. Individual members can't have separate agreements.

The other alternative is that the UK leaves the Common Market, falls back to ultra lovely WTO rules and tries to negotiate separate trade deals with the whole world. This is the no deal scenario and it would be a massive disaster.

BORIS and the Brexiteers are selling the public some batshit insane fantasy about how the UK can remain within the Common Market but not follow any of the rules and how he can get it done. The UK would get special exemptions and wouldn't have to allow free movement of labor or be able to have some side deals(although no one can explain how that would even work) All of his demands are completely unimaginable, even if the UK had any kind leverage in the negotiations. But Boris doesn't give a poo poo about getting any results. He just wants to stay in power as long as possible and let his friends strip the country clean. Rip out every copper pipe and wire in the country, sell it for scrap and gently caress off. Man already abandoned ten kids or something with ten different women, the UK is just another victim of a man who doesn't give a gently caress about anything but the bling.

oh yeah i forgot how utterly hilarious brexit actually is, thx

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

So much for 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hakimashou posted:

So much for 2024

Ah yes, the Times calls someone a Stalinist. How unexpected.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1208252260490371072

The government has signed off a £4bn takeover of UK defence company Cobham by US private equity firm Advent International.

A merger between the companies was agreed to in July, but the acquisition was delayed on the orders of Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom so that the government could address national security concerns raised by the takeover.

heheh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Found the backstory.

quote:

Mr Halligan, who’s in his thirties, was envisioned in 2017 sporting a badge with the words’Great night Trotskyite’ along with a picture of a guy wielding a ice pick in another guy, with reference to the assassination of Leon Trotsky.

Maybe there's more to it, but someone taking a swipe at Trots isn't as awful as it could be. You know, given that Trotskyite groups seem to inevitably turn into rape cults after a while.