Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
If you can't see what Dave is talking about you're too into the modern fan culture poo poo to actually have an opinion worth hearing. You can like something and be critical of it, or even dislike it and think it can change for the better.

Tony Khan made it sound like AEW would be a huge new thing that would have a more serious presentation than WWE programming and would treat wrestling more like a sport. That doesn't mean it had to go full RINGS or something, but something at least vaguely resembling NJPW/AJPW where the wrestling comes first and foremost and the stories are largely told via matches and backstage promos. None of these goofy creepy stables that blur together, no surprise attacks up through the ring like Kane. AEW isn't even the better "sports" promotion of the two on Wednesdays, even with the training center doing an abysmal job of creating decent woman wrestlers for years now.

They are making the exact same mistakes WWE makes, having nobody geeks get main event time for heel heat, not giving their best wrestlers more time to show off in victories, fucks sake there are people on that very page talking about how they don't care if the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega are treated like nobodies (literally the tag team of the year five years running and last year's Most Outstanding and Thesz winner).

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Just to pick one detail out of that: you were expecting something more like New Japan, but one of your problems is with goofy stables?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Kenny is booking himself worse than WWE would've probably booked him.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

If you can't see what Dave is talking about you're too into the modern fan culture poo poo to actually have an opinion worth hearing. You can like something and be critical of it, or even dislike it and think it can change for the better.

You can also dislike something and understand that your opinion doesn't mean it's objectively bad and needs to change...

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

The criticism about pushing the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega hard instead of having them be in slumps at first is legitimate. The payoffs when they win the titles is going to be amazing but it is awhile away.

Some of the other criticism that's out there? Oh boy...

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The company being run by guys who did dick druids on their first ever show were never going to make American NJPW. The guys who booked the Cracker Barrel Clash were absolutely never going to be American NJPW. They all wear their WCW inspiration on their sleeves and one of the EVP's is Dusty's kid.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AEW rules

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

duckdealer posted:

The criticism about pushing the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega hard instead of having them be in slumps at first is legitimate.

This criticism is only legitimate if you believe the point of AEW should be to showcase the Elite, which is clearly not their goal. And that shouldn't be their goal IMO. They should build a promotion around their ability to create stars, not just leverage existing stars.

But again it's ultimately a distinction between "I didn't like this" and "this is bad." It's fair to be disappointed that you're not seeing Omega and the Bucks cleaning house but I don't think it's fair to suggest that's the right or wrong way to do things. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Lamuella posted:

Just to pick one detail out of that: you were expecting something more like New Japan, but one of your problems is with goofy stables?

Ah yes, there's a lot in common between even the worst incarnations of Bullet Club and something called "the Dark Order" made of nobodies that do television commercials asking you to join their cult

And it's pretty easy to say they're doing things badly when they have literally lost more than half of their week one viewers in only a few months

The fact that people are talking about the poor booking of their best wrestlers like it's comparable to late WCW is telling about some of your perspectives on the business. Kenny is in the middle of his prime, coming off a Thesz win, and his best match of the year was on a DDT PPV in a mixed tag rather than on a show by the company he's helping to run

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 20, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone light the concern troll beacons please

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’m thinking about the posts that people would make if we had a Cody/omega feud for the title, bucks as unstoppable tag champs and 10 minute hangman promos every week, and smiling

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Ah yes, there's a lot in common between even the worst incarnations of Bullet Club and something called "the Dark Order" made of nobodies that do television commercials asking you to join their cult

No goofiness in the stable that featured the original Bone Soldier alongside The Tokyo Pimp, that's for sure.

And Taguchi Japan were always the most serious of fellows.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The fact that people are talking about the poor booking of their best wrestlers like it's comparable to late WCW is telling about some of your perspectives on the business.

You don't get to take your own lovely opinion and round it up to "people".

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Seams posted:

I’m thinking about the posts that people would make if we had a Cody/omega feud for the title, bucks as unstoppable tag champs and 10 minute hangman promos every week, and smiling

I like smiling

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't they get that people want to see the elite do well? Like that's why the first ppvs were so successful and prompted the formation of aew. No one wants Goofballs feat. Reunion Tour Style Elite.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And comparing the goof stables in njpw vs aew is ridiculous and you know it, gently caress sake

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

And comparing the goof stables in njpw vs aew is ridiculous and you know it, gently caress sake

yeah that whataboutism was p funny

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

hunnert car pileup posted:

yeah that whataboutism was p funny

Imagine pretending that taking goofball idiot poo poo wrestler Captain New Japan and having him job repeatedly is similar to jobber beatdowns in the main event of your fresh TV program against a company putting over a fresh young babyface talent as the new woman's champion ending a years long reign of terror

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Imagine pretending that taking goofball idiot poo poo wrestler Captain New Japan and having him job repeatedly is similar to jobber beatdowns in the main event of your fresh TV program against a company putting over a fresh young babyface talent as the new woman's champion ending a years long reign of terror

Parklife!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I agree that the scheduling wasn't great, I would have switched it with the Jericho segment to pick people back up for the end of the show, but how else would you suggest they rehab the Smash Brothers if not put over their numbers advantage?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Seams posted:

i think the fact that Hangman Page got more over the SECOND they had him cut a decent pro wrestling promo points to how valuable promos can be for them

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I Before E posted:

I agree that the scheduling wasn't great, I would have switched it with the Jericho segment to pick people back up for the end of the show, but how else would you suggest they rehab the Smash Brothers if not put over their numbers advantage?

have them go after best friends or some poo poo. chuck and trent are both batshit insane themselves and it'd give orange (who actually is over) a chance to do something more meaningful.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lamuella posted:

Parklife!

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

Stables in New Japan have goofy members (CHAOS have Yano, Suzukigun has TAKA, LIJ has Loser Naito etc) but they aren't treated as major contenders. It's not OG Bone Soldier in the show closing angle, it's Jay White or KENTA. It's not Yano or Rocky, it's Okada or Ospreay or Ishii. It's a weird comparison. Generally I feel like there's a place for silliness in wrestling. Wrestling is loving dumb, that's fine. I love a good Yano match, and was all over the recent mascara contra cabellera match between Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa & Naomichi Marufuji from Dragon Gate. But it being at the top of the card is a weird choice if you've set your show up to be one where wins & losses matter & generally it's a bit serious in presentation.

As for the Elite thing. I mean, they are among your biggest stars. Having your big stars putting over guys you want to get over is a smart thing, but you need to actually establish your stars as potential winners first or every loss is just more diminishing returns.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

lucha bros are everything the bucks are with less unfortunate hair styles

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The fact that people are talking about the poor booking of their best wrestlers like it's comparable to late WCW is telling about some of your perspectives on the business.

These people you are talking about don't appear to actually exist, friend. :confused:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

These people you are talking about don't appear to actually exist, friend. :confused:

Meltzer doesnt exist?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Meltzer doesnt exist?

Who?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Meltzer doesnt exist?

All my best math indicates he may be one of Grant Morrison's thematic constructs made flesh :hai:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

when friends and co-workers tell you "wrestling isn't real" that is actually your mom screaming at you to snap out of the jungian mass hallucination in which you have become lost

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

wcw never even happened, harlem heat can't melt steel beams

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think one reason for ratings dropping is people thought that this "AEW/WWE War" was going to be like the Monday Nights Wars, where you were going to have to tune it to see who was going to jump ship to the other fed, but frankly, that poo poo ain't ever going to happen again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I think one reason for ratings dropping is people thought that this "AEW/WWE War" was going to be like the Monday Nights Wars, where you were going to have to tune it to see who was going to jump ship to the other fed, but frankly, that poo poo ain't ever going to happen again.

Just pointing out again that the number of viewers per week is still the same, but both AEW and NXT have surprisingly huge DVR numbers. That's a problem of a different sort of course, since DVR viewers aren't of value to advertisers, but all the people from week 1 still seem to be watching both shows 3 months later.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The ratings seem to fluctuate wildly around the two major holidays of the American calendar. Curious!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

The ratings seem to fluctuate wildly around the two major holidays of the American calendar. Curious!

Also the day only the third US President in history got impeached, but I assume that wasn't much of a ratings winner!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Just pointing out again that the number of viewers per week is still the same, but both AEW and NXT have surprisingly huge DVR numbers. That's a problem of a different sort of course, since DVR viewers aren't of value to advertisers, but all the people from week 1 still seem to be watching both shows 3 months later.

Yeah, it seems like the problem isn't keeping the audience, but making the show a live priority for that audience which can overcome stuff like impeachment or holidays, which NXT seems to be doing by shotgunning big matchups and title changes. I don't think that route would work for AEW.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jerusalem posted:

Also the day only the third US President in history got impeached, but I assume that wasn't much of a ratings winner!

how were the ratings during the first two impeachments?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Lone Goat posted:

They were through the roof for Andrew Johnson!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Clinton's blew.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nixon's was set to be a all-timer, but SWERVE, he resigned before it could happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Nixon's was set to be a all-timer, but SWERVE, he resigned before it could happen!

Didn't want to do the job.