Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I know - and it's taken them 7 years to get to that point.

This cheeky youngster knocked it up in 3 days in Unreal.

truth be told truesky is almost cheating

can you guess which one is the 250 million dollar game and which one is being made by a single loving dev using unreal god drat blueprints

spoiler: it's the one that's actually getting finished this decade: https://rb-d2.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Star Citizen: Imagining what the game could be IS the game

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Inacio posted:

truth be told truesky is almost cheating

can you guess which one is the 250 million dollar game and which one is being made by a single loving dev using unreal god drat blueprints

spoiler: it's the one that's actually getting finished this decade: https://rb-d2.tumblr.com/

well now that sc has done it the pipeline exists so of course it's easier for others to do it too

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This looks like something Derek Smart would yell at you for not reading when you asked why ESC didn't open up a menu

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

This looks like something Derek Smart would yell at you for not reading when you asked why ESC didn't open up a menu

It also, in true CIG fashion, passively lies about the state of the project. Reading those controls and taking them at face value you might not be blamed for thinking there's a game here and those controls work and do the things they say they do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I liked when a couple years ago one of the streams had a key combo alt-left-shift-? to do something.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Apply space brake!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Beet Wagon posted:

Imma guess these are static keybinds and none of it can be changed in any way.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sabreseven posted:

Apply space brake!

so what's the difference between a spacebrake and strafe backwards?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

One in the Bum posted:

You can't do sweet spacedrifts unless you pull the spacebrake.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Coffee chat: My workplace has a starbucks in the lunch cafe (that you pay for), some good espresso machines in various buildings (free), and the standard office coffee everyone has everywhere. There are other game companies that do have coffee baristas, Riot comes to mind which is located pretty close to CiG, maybe the Crobear got jealous of them and had to have his own coffee employee?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

One in the Bum posted:

All I know is, if you don't apply spacebrake your jpeg will roll down a hill into a wall/bus stop/phone booth/house/bear.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

How do heat seeking missiles work in space?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SoftNum posted:

Better than almost anything else. :eng101:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

GreenElephant posted:

Randomly heard on The GamesIndustry.biz podcast ( https://gibiz.libsyn.com The Dec 9 episode at 45:11)

quote:

And what's our next vaporware? Now that Shenmu 3 has finally arrived... I mean, Star Citizen obviously. That's never going to come out. I know it's sort of playable, but this is the thing, you don't get vaporware anymore do you, just eternal early access

Star Citizen: You don't get vaporware anymore, just eternal early access

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SoftNum posted:

I would imagine incredibly well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also, why haven't you slowpokes posted this yet?
https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-financials-for-2018

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hav posted:

Can't you use your own mom's card?

I thought we were using your mom's card

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

$48.9m as income for a year
$56.1m as outgoing for a year

Am I reading it right?
If I am reading this derpy as gently caress version of "accounts for beginners" (we coloured it in to make it easier hurpaderp), then thats pretty loving funny :D

Edit : LOL @ "Minority investment" to the tune of $46m, if not for this then CI`g would have started 2019 in the red by $8m, if my math is wrong, blame the whiskey. :)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 21, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

I preferred to bow down to your fidelitous sexiness

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

The headcount graph is nice as you can see that they have steadily increased their marketing division and there only actually 400 devs. Is this bad for Star Citizen?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Why are they pretending this is all good when all their expenses keep going up year over year with no direct return in product release

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sabreseven posted:

$48.9m as income for a year
$56.1m as outgoing for a year

Am I reading it right?
If I am reading this derpy as gently caress version of "accounts for beginners" (we coloured it in to make it easier hurpaderp), then thats pretty loving funny :D

Edit : LOL @ "Minority investment" to the tune of $46m, if not for this then CI`g would have started 2019 in the red by $8m, if my math is wrong, blame the whiskey. :)

-$7.2M net position over 12 months (or -$600k / month) with just under $7M in the bank. Not quite 90 days tops, but definitely heading for a negative position within the next year. Makes you wonder how much they actually had to pay for that investment to save their bacon. :D

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

*Times 4 due to Chris Roberts having this money and not some scum big AAA publisher.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Why are they pretending this is all good when all their expenses keep going up year over year with no direct return in product release

Because of The Perception.

If they were to admit that they are basically running it hard into the ground, the money they do get currently will slow, once that happens the old "sensitive dependancies on initial conditions" kicks in and it's lights out and chains on gates faster than CR can fumble for his Porsche key.

The only way to keep it going now is by basically painting bad news as positive news.

quote:

:trustme: said at Citcon: "This is er, well, this is the end"

Bravo Chris, bravo. :thumbsup:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

-$7.2M net position over 12 months (or -$600k / month) with just under $7M in the bank. Not quite 90 days tops, but definitely heading for a negative position within the next year. Makes you wonder how much they actually had to pay for that investment to save their bacon. :D

The best bit is, that bacon saver, that'll need repaying at some undetermined point plus interest. :D

All the owed money is begining to build up quickly, how CR can walk more than one step without constantly crapping himself in grim terror of the realisation of the situation is beyond me.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well, he's really dumb and he thinks people will buy his poo poo.

Also Ortwin is probably going to offer him as a sacrificial lamb. There will be a video of Chris jazz-handsing while saying "I did crimes. I did all the crimes. I am the crime mastermind of CIG." and then when he tries to shaky hands wild gesturing explain that video isn't real no jury on Earth will be able to tell the difference.

Even a jury of citizens will be like "but the video had such fidelity!!!"

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Willow would like to wish the Store Citizer thread a Merry Christmas.

I hope you fucks appreciate this picture because she loving hated having those baubles on her

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sedisp posted:

You laugh but people with Silicon Valley start up brain will gleefully do this.

In my college town there were a bunch of fly-by-night tech startups with dubious products. They were always trying to poach recent grads, one even tried to hire me when I was a senior. I was an international politics major and they offered to “teach me how to code”.

They always had some really dumb and gimmicky fringe benefit they tried to peddle in lieu of a decent salary. I remember the one that contacted me was like “yeah we only pay $30,000 a year in an expensive college town, but our freezer is always full of freeze pops! Aren’t we zany and cool!? Come work for us please.”

But now I work for a private defense contractor and all of them are like “we’ll pay you well, but you’ll work in a drab, grey and windowless building; oh and bring your own coffee because our one Keurig broke 3 years ago.”

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 21, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I hope you fucks appreciate this picture because she loving hated having those baubles on her

The bestest of girls.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SoftNum posted:

Spaceships radiate large amounts of heat into space. So the easiest way to track one would be to look for it’s electromagnetic emissions. Unless it’s near a particularly hot object, it will stand out like a Christmas Tree in deep space. Mass Effect dealt with this in a clever way, by having the Normandy’s stealth systems be giant internal heat sinks.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 21, 2019

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

SoftNum posted:

Same way in air. Seeking black body emissions. Though some modern missiles have UV tracking (from place surface reflections) for added near target tracking.

colonelwest posted:

Spaceships radiate large amounts of heat into space. So the easiest way to track one would be to look for it’s electromagnetic emissions. Unless it’s near a particularly hot object, it will stand out like a Christmas Tree in deep space. Mass Effect dealt with this in a clever way, by having the Normandy’s stealth systems be giant internal heat sinks.

http://toughsf.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-hydrogen-steamer-stealth-spaceship.html

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tippis posted:

Now we just brace for news of new, friendly benefactors eager to join the Calders in owning a stake in a billion dollar gaming brand...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hi guys back from running shitton of missions in Warframe's Empyrean. Apparently some developers really love their fanbase and want them to have fun or some poo poo so they're fixing problems. Can you believe it?
Current fun changes include:

-GREATLY increased material rewards for missions, since repair costs are currently too hard to fix. I'm talking about like x2 and x3 times as much, straight up.
-insta-repair drones for salvage will be added to rewards list
-lots of mechanical changes to ship repairs
-The two unique weapon blueprints will now be shared across all party members.
-No more endless boarding parties, each Crewship has a maximum of 4 ramsleds now
-item vacuum's been improved
-No seeking missiles for Archwings to stop big ships from one-shotting players

And tons of other things. There are still plenty of bugs and connection issues can be a bit iffy, but the mode is really starting to take shape.
Also they apparently had time for a spooky new tileset jesus christ what the gently caress DE this is sick: https://i.imgur.com/kyQPP6N.png

Some bugs and hiccups include:

-Balancing, balancing, balancing
-The fighters in the Veil Proxima, especially outriders recover HP way too quickly
-Still a lot of collision issues, particularly that one loving grineer destroyer

Future updates include:
-Archwing has now been shown to be in need of rebalancing.
-Modular Archwing
-More expansion of the overall model
-Squadlink

Here is DE playing their own game on stream, warts and all. I really recommend y'all watch it, the gang has a really good energy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42WJXL8O_Y
Skip to about the halfway to see Reb fly around Saturn Proxima and Veil Proxima.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I personally just want to see Chris in front of a camera finally get booed at loudly or asked a hard hitting serious question like 'WHERE IS ALL THE MONEY GONE YOU HACK" just so I can see the smug little grin drain from his face live

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Did you try pulling her Space Brake

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Blue On Blue posted:

I personally just want to see Chris in front of a camera finally get booed at loudly or asked a hard hitting serious question like 'WHERE IS ALL THE MONEY GONE YOU HACK" just so I can see the smug little grin drain from his face live

The closest that's come so far was the dude that yelled 'shame on you' loud enough for him to hear at a con a few years ago after making the whales' blueballs green with another expensive rear end ship commercial instead of the much anticipated squandered 54 v slice supercut, chris let out an absolving chuckle of embarrassment before getting back to spinning the plates

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm a big fan of this dog

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009
It's weird stumbling across a random youtube video and seeing Archer-ed Sandi, Roberts, and Garriot pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeC1J6tj2Pw

Jeeze, I miss the days of constant absurd drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Maybe it is just me not being hardcore enough and a spoiled console brat, but shouldn't Roll Right be E and Roll Left be Q?

Zushio fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 21, 2019