Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit
Is there a TCG thread or is it loosely incorporated into this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

There is, but it's no more active than this one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The original Yugioh DM anime is a good example of a rule I find in most every anime I watch. The first few episodes are boring at best but absolutely terrible at worst. You really have to power through a lot of poo poo to get to something good in many anime.

I think the finals of Duelist Kingdom are good but everything before that is pure cringe. I usually just skip it and after re-watching everything from Episode 1 a few years ago, I remembered why.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So there's anew Yugioh series coming right? Somebody elsewhere theorized it will be Duel Monsters Kai.

What do you all think of that? Is it likely? Do you want it?

It hink it could be pretty awesome to redo and fix DM.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

So there's anew Yugioh series coming right? Somebody elsewhere theorized it will be Duel Monsters Kai.

What do you all think of that? Is it likely? Do you want it?

It hink it could be pretty awesome to redo and fix DM.

Highly doubtful. They ended VRAINS early and didn't start the next series immediately for the first time clearly to avoid the big scheduling issues VRAINS had. If they were only making a recut of the first show, they'd just...do that, that'd take much less effort. Plus, it'd be completely useless from a marketing standpoint, since it'd just show old cards, and YGO exists To Sell Toys Cards.

Even going the Vanguard way and making a faithful manga adaptation is impossible simply because YGO did not start as a card games manga and card games are all that matter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For some reason I took "Duel Monsters Kai" to mean "this time they follow rules"

Or they can make it about Speed Dueling and that would solve the just marketing old cards issue.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Yugioh series called Yugoih SEVENS Starting in Spring 2020 (4/1/2020). The designs look a lot simpler and seems to be focused on 'rush duels' (like duel link's speed duels, though with different rules). This is definitely meant for a younger audience, but that's probably a good thing to try to recruit new people into the game.

Also in Master Rule 5 summoning monsters from the extra deck is no longer restricted to the extra monster zone/link markers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sevens looks lame as hell but at least they're going back on the Extra Deck restrictions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s the trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0AoiJZEf0MA

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sevens looks awesome. It's about time we got a lighthearted Yugioh series again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

good god is that all gaudy as gently caress. don't think I like it

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Kaiba's gonna be pissed that a 5th BEWD came into existence

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Cautiously optimistic. Everything looks fine and fun, but I wish the animation was a bit more lively, or that the designs were a tad more simple.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It looks like a cheap mid-2000's sub-Beyblade level show

VRAINs really tanked the franchise huh

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Next Duel Masters show looking alright.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://gematsu.com/2019/12/yu-gi-oh-legacy-of-the-duelist-link-evolution-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc

Link Evolution will make it's way to PS4, PC, and Xbox One in 2020.

There will be a new free update on the Switch version that will boost it to over 10,000 cards (including "Crystron Halqifibrax "Firewall Dragon Darkfluid" and "1:P Masquerena") and will complete the VRAINS story.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

blue-eyes has never looked better...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I think the new show looks neat and I’m excited for it but I am so over Blue-Eyes/Kaiba wanking at this point.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

This reminds me of Pokemon Sun & Moon. So will this be a better show than VRAINS that the Internet still bitches about?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sun and Moon is a pretty interesting comparison. Both are 3 year multimedia animes that haven't stopped since the late 90s.

The thing is, though. Studio Gallop, who makes YGO, started with digital coloring and has updated his production pipeline slowly throughout the years, since it's hard to get a clean break to update stuff when you never stop a production. Pokemon began a couple of years before digital coloring was the standard, and that changed everything.

When Pokemon first shifted to Digital Coloring, they were in late Johto, and that shift was sudden and extremely drastic. Just one week you go from the cozy colors everyone's used to to a drastic shift to a technique nerds on the older internet said was ruining animation. From that blowback, they started to make use of filters to make it look 'rougher' and more hand painted. Doing such a thing, and with Pokemon looking to not be going anywhere for the foreseeable future, told OLM that they need to update pokemon slowly and often. This is the big money, they can't risk losing the license. So Hoenn to Sinnoh was slowly making the show more modern, until they can go full on with the digital colors and widescreen in Unova. The constant little updates also lead to production updates, to learning digital programs like Clip Studio, leading to XY being such a healthy and advanced production compared to teh rest of the industry that Pokemon was now an industry leader.

Sun and Moon takes it a step further, drastically updating the designs to be more modern, fluid and easier to draw. Quality is now better spread out for character acting rather than just battles, and the digital production, with the good will that XY drew, managed to get the eye of industry legends like Otsuka from Trigger to pop up every now and then. They are now trend setters after years of work keeping Pokemon fresh on the production side, who get young blood often enough to join them.

And OLM kept expanding. Back in '97 they were just a humble company making pokemon and berserk, but now in 2019 everyone in the genre flocks to them. They make Pokemon, and they make Yokai Watch. And Beyblade. Inazuma 11, Zoids, the odd kids mecha here and there, buddy fight, and that little thing called Vanguard.

Gallop, on the other hand... well, they made Yugioh DM. They did some other stuff, like a transformers, Initial D, Eyeshield 21 while tehy were outsourcing the hell out of Gx. Come 5D's and they become the yugioh people. Mainichi Kanzan is the only other production they were doing alongside YGO, and halfway around VRAINS they took up a barcode fishing anime with Toei. But that's it, 2008-2019 was 4 yugiohs and 2 other shows.

They kept the Kazuki style, but in an industry that's collapsing on itself, you really needed something with a lighter workload if you're gonna do 3 years straight.
They were only YGO for a solid decade, so they mostly lost big talent rather than gain it. Staff that remains at Gallop is just, well, old. The only clout they could use was for the DSoD movie (and it was great).
Gallop just kept surviving with YGO, not growing with it, like OLM.

And now the time has come that something radically different is needed by The Committee, so they must've decided Gallop couldn't deliver (at least on their own, they might still be involved in a lesser role) so they have to go to the industry leader. And either OLM declined since they got so many projects already, or the committee really didn't wanna go to Bushiroad's biggest partner, so they went with Bridge, a more Gallop-sized partner of Bushiroad. And thus, YGO is made more in the mold of Bridge's work with Vanguard GZ.

tl;dr Pokemon got to make its new style with OLM's years of work, YGO is fitting into the current trend by ditching Gallop for a new studio that works with Vanguard.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sun and Moon is a pretty interesting comparison. Both are 3 year multimedia animes that haven't stopped since the late 90s.

The thing is, though. Studio Gallop, who makes YGO, started with digital coloring and has updated his production pipeline slowly throughout the years, since it's hard to get a clean break to update stuff when you never stop a production. Pokemon began a couple of years before digital coloring was the standard, and that changed everything.

When Pokemon first shifted to Digital Coloring, they were in late Johto, and that shift was sudden and extremely drastic. Just one week you go from the cozy colors everyone's used to to a drastic shift to a technique nerds on the older internet said was ruining animation. From that blowback, they started to make use of filters to make it look 'rougher' and more hand painted. Doing such a thing, and with Pokemon looking to not be going anywhere for the foreseeable future, told OLM that they need to update pokemon slowly and often. This is the big money, they can't risk losing the license. So Hoenn to Sinnoh was slowly making the show more modern, until they can go full on with the digital colors and widescreen in Unova. The constant little updates also lead to production updates, to learning digital programs like Clip Studio, leading to XY being such a healthy and advanced production compared to teh rest of the industry that Pokemon was now an industry leader.

Sun and Moon takes it a step further, drastically updating the designs to be more modern, fluid and easier to draw. Quality is now better spread out for character acting rather than just battles, and the digital production, with the good will that XY drew, managed to get the eye of industry legends like Otsuka from Trigger to pop up every now and then. They are now trend setters after years of work keeping Pokemon fresh on the production side, who get young blood often enough to join them.

And OLM kept expanding. Back in '97 they were just a humble company making pokemon and berserk, but now in 2019 everyone in the genre flocks to them. They make Pokemon, and they make Yokai Watch. And Beyblade. Inazuma 11, Zoids, the odd kids mecha here and there, buddy fight, and that little thing called Vanguard.

Gallop, on the other hand... well, they made Yugioh DM. They did some other stuff, like a transformers, Initial D, Eyeshield 21 while tehy were outsourcing the hell out of Gx. Come 5D's and they become the yugioh people. Mainichi Kanzan is the only other production they were doing alongside YGO, and halfway around VRAINS they took up a barcode fishing anime with Toei. But that's it, 2008-2019 was 4 yugiohs and 2 other shows.

They kept the Kazuki style, but in an industry that's collapsing on itself, you really needed something with a lighter workload if you're gonna do 3 years straight.
They were only YGO for a solid decade, so they mostly lost big talent rather than gain it. Staff that remains at Gallop is just, well, old. The only clout they could use was for the DSoD movie (and it was great).
Gallop just kept surviving with YGO, not growing with it, like OLM.

And now the time has come that something radically different is needed by The Committee, so they must've decided Gallop couldn't deliver (at least on their own, they might still be involved in a lesser role) so they have to go to the industry leader. And either OLM declined since they got so many projects already, or the committee really didn't wanna go to Bushiroad's biggest partner, so they went with Bridge, a more Gallop-sized partner of Bushiroad. And thus, YGO is made more in the mold of Bridge's work with Vanguard GZ.

tl;dr Pokemon got to make its new style with OLM's years of work, YGO is fitting into the current trend by ditching Gallop for a new studio that works with Vanguard.
This was a pretty insightful post, thanks!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ThermoPhysical posted:

(including "Crystron Halqifibrax "Firewall Dragon Darkfluid" and "1:P Masquerena")

Those have to be fake names.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MJeff posted:

Those have to be fake names.

Hahahahahaha :v:

The TCG Localizers for the last few years have not been the greatest...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I:P Masquerena and Firewall Dragon Darkfluid are unchanged from the OCG names.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Crystron name is also just kind of keeping to the theme of the archetype

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.siliconera.com/yu-gi-oh-legacy-of-the-duelist-link-evolution-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-in-spring-2020/

Link Evolution will receive an update in Spring of 2020. The update will update the Master Rule 4 to Master Rule 5 (it's not actually called 5 but yeah), it'll add 15 characters to VRAINS, and will include a "large-scale" of new cards with "Crystron Halqifibrax" being a part of them.

The PS4, 360, and PC will all receive this update as a port of the Switch game while the Switch will just have the update as free DLC.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When does the next season of the anime start again?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.siliconera.com/yu-gi-oh-legacy-of-the-duelist-link-evolution-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-in-spring-2020/

Link Evolution will receive an update in Spring of 2020. The update will update the Master Rule 4 to Master Rule 5 (it's not actually called 5 but yeah), it'll add 15 characters to VRAINS, and will include a "large-scale" of new cards with "Crystron Halqifibrax" being a part of them.

The PS4, 360, and PC will all receive this update as a port of the Switch game while the Switch will just have the update as free DLC.

I was just looking for the release date of the update. I think the new cards stop with Chaos Impact (unless plans changed), so even though it's getting promo cards from newer sets, it'll still be pretty far behind.

Still, looking forward to playing the update. Hopefully it comes out in March/April and not late May or the middle of June.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I was just looking for the release date of the update. I think the new cards stop with Chaos Impact (unless plans changed), so even though it's getting promo cards from newer sets, it'll still be pretty far behind.

Still, looking forward to playing the update. Hopefully it comes out in March/April and not late May or the middle of June.

Thing is they've never officially said when the cards stop, that was just something someone on Reddit came up with. So far, they've only shown that Firewall Dragon Darkfluid, 1:P Masquerena, and Crystron Halqifibrax will be available.

Crystron is coming out in the TCG next month and the other two have been around for a bit. It might be October 2019 or it might be March since Crystron is there.

I could see it releasing in April though since the new rules start April 1st for both OCG and TCG.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

When does the next season of the anime start again?

In April in Japan.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thing is they've never officially said when the cards stop, that was just something someone on Reddit came up with. So far, they've only shown that Firewall Dragon Darkfluid, 1:P Masquerena, and Crystron Halqifibrax will be available.

Crystron is coming out in the TCG next month and the other two have been around for a bit. It might be October 2019 or it might be March since Crystron is there.

I could see it releasing in April though since the new rules start April 1st for both OCG and TCG.

Oh weird, I could have sworn the official announcement of the update specified Chaos Impact. If we get newer sets, that's exciting. There are a lot of cards newer than Chaos Impact that I'd like to clown on AI opponents with.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Since the game came up, is Link Evolution a good game? I've been wanting to scratch my Yugioh itch for a while (specifically, PvE content with a limited pool of cards) and was thinking of buying this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

limeicebreakers posted:

Since the game came up, is Link Evolution a good game? I've been wanting to scratch my Yugioh itch for a while (specifically, PvE content with a limited pool of cards) and was thinking of buying this.

It's really good, honestly.

The only issue I have with it is Master Rule 4 but that'll change with the update coming. Either wait for it on PS4/Xbox/PC or get it now on Switch and get the free DLC.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

limeicebreakers posted:

It's pretty good for that. I'm not sure I'd play this version of the game against other actual humans (there are better solutions for that), but there's a ton of PvE content for you. Here are the basic pros and cons:

Pros:
*Lots of AI decks to play against.
*AI decks are split into story mode, which is really easy, and challenge duelists, which can actually be decently challenging.
*An absolute truckload of cards to acquire.

Could go either way:
*Master rule 4. There's no way to turn this off, so you if you want to play a 5D's era deck with 5D's era rules, you're SOL. You should be good once the Master Rule Update comes out, but even then, you're not gonna be able to play with pre-MR4 Pendulums. Just something to be aware of.

Cons:
*It's difficult to get specific cards, you might need to do a lot of grinding.
*It's slow. Every little thing you do in the game takes a lot longer than it needs to, so turns can take a lot longer than they should.
*Here's far and away the biggest problem with the game: it crashes. A lot. It can get really frustrating to get 75% through a duel only for the game to crash on you.

Overall, it's suitable, it does the job, and it's just plain fun. Not without its flaws, but if you can tolerate them, you'll have a great time.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 19, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If it's retained the same card gathering system as Legacy of the Duelist I can't bring myself to buy it despite my love of PvE because I played LotD so long and I still don't have 3 copies of Pot of Avarice. Plus you have to open packs one by one and it takes a goddamn long time* to open each pack, which adds to the frustration.

* Maybe there's a way to skip it? I don't know, haven't played LotD in months. Or maybe I was skipping and it was still long.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

If it's retained the same card gathering system as Legacy of the Duelist I can't bring myself to buy it despite my love of PvE because I played LotD so long and I still don't have 3 copies of Pot of Avarice. Plus you have to open packs one by one and it takes a goddamn long time* to open each pack, which adds to the frustration.

* Maybe there's a way to skip it? I don't know, haven't played LotD in months. Or maybe I was skipping and it was still long.

There are two ways of getting cards in Link Evolution. Method 1: random character boosters. These suck because they're basically totally random and the game doesn't check if you have a playset of cards or anything.

The other method is by dueling specific people. This is probably your best bet at getting a card you need because the card pool is so much smaller. It's slow, though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I resorted to beating dudes who had archtypes I wanted but that still doesn't get you every card in the game since each opponent has a specific set of cards they can drop, I think.

And it's not like the game lets you do anything with dupes you pull, if dupes converted into points that you could use to craft cards, like you can in virtually every online card game that I've played. It's this bit that really gets me.

I forget how the Tag Force and World Championship series did it but I don't remember being this frustrated with them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah I resorted to beating dudes who had archtypes I wanted but that still doesn't get you every card in the game since each opponent has a specific set of cards they can drop, I think.

And it's not like the game lets you do anything with dupes you pull, if dupes converted into points that you could use to craft cards, like you can in virtually every online card game that I've played. It's this bit that really gets me.

I forget how the Tag Force and World Championship series did it but I don't remember being this frustrated with them.

The World Championship games used the 8-digit code on the bottom left corner of physical cards to get in-game cards you wanted as well as in-game packs.

This was awesome since you could almost immediately build any real life deck just as long as the card was in the game. Some games let you put the code in 3 times, some only once.

Now that code is 100% useless and probably should be taken off of the physical cards, honestly (if it's not already off, I haven't played the physical game in years).

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Wow, thanks for all the responses (especially King of Solomon for the breakdown)!

The last time I played Yugioh was the World Championship 2008 game on the DS, which was pre-Synchros. Aside from the card codes, you could buy booster packs with in-game currency you accumulated from winning duels. I sort of assumed that was the case for Link Evolution, guess I was wrong!

I'm hoping that the steady progrsssion of a game with a story mode + steadily increasing range of options will help me catch up with modern rules and mechanics, but the grindy nature of obtaining new cards is making me kind of hesitant on getting the game. Is it hard to get a consistent deck in the beginning unless you're lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

limeicebreakers posted:

Wow, thanks for all the responses (especially King of Solomon for the breakdown)!

The last time I played Yugioh was the World Championship 2008 game on the DS, which was pre-Synchros. Aside from the card codes, you could buy booster packs with in-game currency you accumulated from winning duels. I sort of assumed that was the case for Link Evolution, guess I was wrong!

I'm hoping that the steady progrsssion of a game with a story mode + steadily increasing range of options will help me catch up with modern rules and mechanics, but the grindy nature of obtaining new cards is making me kind of hesitant on getting the game. Is it hard to get a consistent deck in the beginning unless you're lucky?

Link Evolution does have boosters, you do use the points earned in duels to buy them. Each booster has ~300 cards and usually contains cards for 5 or 6 archetypes. Just be ready to get mad since the boosters don't care you have a full playset of a card. It doesn't have a place to redeem the 8 digit card codes.