Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

As long as they keep giving us victory conditions that don't make me conquer the entire goddamn thing, they can make the map as big as they want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

dividertabs posted:

For a Darkblade Mortal Empires campaign, is there a reason to develop the starting Black Ark? The thing's stuck in a lake with 1 port.

Get the slave raid bonus and sack nearby skaven cities over and over.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Part of what I actually like about the Bret chivalry mechanic is it makes for some really straightforward victory conditions. Kick rear end, win battles, win final battle, done. None of that “ffs I am clicking through dozens upon dozens of turns for this one city to grow so I can build this 10-turn landmark, fuuuuuuuuck”

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Started a new ME Repanse campaign (accidentally on normal but I stuck with it just to gently caress around) with Max unit sizes because I have a new computer and boy howdy is it fun watching huge wedges of heavy cav slam into the flank of my enemies.

I won the initial battle and advanced as far as I could towards Al-Haikk and recruited a bunch of peasant swordsmen. Next turn I advanced 50% of my movement towards Al-Haikk while staying in my own territory, encamped, and recruited more passant swordsmen. Turn after I marched 50% of my movement towards you know where, encamped to deal with attrition. Turn 4 I got to Al-Haikk, assaulted it (auto-resolve because gently caress City fights), and occupied it. Turn 5 I took Fyrus and confederated one of the nearby errantry factions. Blammo.

I'm debating sailing over to take Sartosa....

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Part of what I actually like about the Bret chivalry mechanic is it makes for some really straightforward victory conditions. Kick rear end, win battles, win final battle, done. None of that “ffs I am clicking through dozens upon dozens of turns for this one city to grow so I can build this 10-turn landmark, fuuuuuuuuck”
As someone who has not played a lot of Brettonian, this does seem nice, yes.

I do wish that they would add a third after-field battle option other than ransom for a chivalry hit or release for a pretty much worthless leadership bonus.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I had the day off and started an Eshin campaign. I had been working on a Repanse game, which was fun. After defeating the skeleton menace, though, the dwarves were next and they had a thousand territories. So I quit Repanse. I was very meh about Eshin at first, but this has been a genuinely excellent campaign.

I found Ikit's gunline armies to be somewhat boring. They were cool or whatever, but I did that with VC. It wasn't really new, you know? But this was a new look at Skaven - skirmisher armies. Chaotic and fast paced, completely different feel from the gun line army. The contracts mechanic and the rapid leveling up lets your assassin lords and heroes actually have the stats and abilities to function as assassins. The variety of unit available to Skaven factions also lets you play it pretty much however you want.

Even the starting position is excellent, isolated but still having a lot of options. My territory forms a giant L shape - I've captured everything alone the spine of the map in the World's Edge Mountains, plus the new area. The dwarves, oddly enough, love me - I destroyed several Greenskin factions. Without the threat of the orcs, they never confederated. Several dwarven factions currently function as a buffer zone between me and the humans. I have three gold mines (Ungor, Gunbad, and Black Crag) and massive income.

ME Eshin has been a very enjoyable game!

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Started a new ME Repanse campaign (accidentally on normal but I stuck with it just to gently caress around) with Max unit sizes because I have a new computer and boy howdy is it fun watching huge wedges of heavy cav slam into the flank of my enemies.

I won the initial battle and advanced as far as I could towards Al-Haikk and recruited a bunch of peasant swordsmen. Next turn I advanced 50% of my movement towards Al-Haikk while staying in my own territory, encamped, and recruited more passant swordsmen. Turn after I marched 50% of my movement towards you know where, encamped to deal with attrition. Turn 4 I got to Al-Haikk, assaulted it (auto-resolve because gently caress City fights), and occupied it. Turn 5 I took Fyrus and confederated one of the nearby errantry factions. Blammo.

I'm debating sailing over to take Sartosa....

As someone who has not played a lot of Brettonian, this does seem nice, yes.

I do wish that they would add a third after-field battle option other than ransom for a chivalry hit or release for a pretty much worthless leadership bonus.

Do take Sartosa when you can. She’ll probably attack at some point anyway plus the extra trade goods from the pawn shop (?) can be more helpful sooner rather than later. Plus keeping Tilea and Estalia healthy and kicking helps eliminate that front while you focus on dead folks. Also fwiw there is a third option if you fight humans. Tbh I don’t remember it from previous Bret campaigns but maybe it’s been there. Option is replenishment if they repent and join you. Handy for when Sudenberg decides to wardec you at least. Think someone mentioned before but send a (non-legendary) pally to Ulthuan as soon as possible to get that juicy trade started. And periodically double check your vows progress in case you can nab the next and to make sure you don’t have a lord or pally just sitting with one unselected.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I've taken over Nehekara as Repanse and am barely a quarter of the way through the Chivalry requirement, is there any way to speed it up beyond research and buildings?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just keep on fighting. I was able to win in about 105 turns or so.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Don't you get chivalry for every lord that participates in a battle? So in theory you would have quadruple chivalry by having multiple lone lords following the main army about.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The best way to do it yeah is just have single lord armies follow Repanse around so you can multi-dip on chivalry (and chivalry traits). It's actually slightly longer than the regular Bretonnians since those you can farm the greenskin incursions :v:

Brettonians don't have supply line penalties so you're only paying 250g per extra army upkeep.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Yeah so having massive mobs of heroes and lords fight a battle to rack up traits like reinforcing and attacking and winning fights is a solid strat. Once you get a solid economy send a couple horsey doomstacks on crusades to gently caress up any big bads. Romp&stomp through greenskin or Delf regions, razing all the way (to the tune of jingle bells).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is it possible to play Eshin without the "Keep a second army of chaff nearby!" tactic? Because I hate it, and it keeps me from playing Skaven.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Devorum posted:

Is it possible to play Eshin without the "Keep a second army of chaff nearby!" tactic? Because I hate it, and it keeps me from playing Skaven.

you literally don't have to do that for ANY Skaven but Eshin least of all. Just go heavy with the death and gutter runners and zoom around ambushing people.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can disband it and rehire it in the real ocean with upgrades intact

Goddamn, that's good to know

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Monthly reminder to remove Community Scripting Framework from your mod list! Hasn't worked in months and next to no working mods use it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Motherfucker posted:

you literally don't have to do that for ANY Skaven but Eshin least of all. Just go heavy with the death and gutter runners and zoom around ambushing people.

It's quite terrifying how absolutely bonkers Eshin's skirmishers are. It turns out that taking a bunch of slingers and shuriken tossers and making drat near 100% of their ranged damage AP kind of makes them broken!

Even lovely night runner slingers can mow down dwarfs with the Eshin buff.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Agreed. I'm okay with adding ~20 more factions to the gaggle we already have if it makes the map better, but I am one of those grand-campaign loving nerds so I understand if I am in the minority.

I would have disagreed with you before this patch but the turn times are so fast now you probably could slap another dozen factions on there

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I got this game and I know nothing about fantasy Warhams but I did play a Total War like a decade ago.

I'm playing the High Elves and a giant Dreadfleet army I can't beat landed in Caledor and took a settlement from me but when I sicced my allies on it they immediately wanted peace. Meanwhile Northern Yvresse is so infested with raiding Norscans it hurts to walk through and I'm at war with Saphery for some reason, and the Phoenix King is sitting in his palace contemplating what he shall do about the most severe matter of the delegates from Saphery implying a mild insult against those from Cothique.

Good poo poo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Elukka posted:

I got this game and I know nothing about fantasy Warhams but I did play a Total War like a decade ago.

I'm playing the High Elves and a giant Dreadfleet army I can't beat landed in Caledor and took a settlement from me but when I sicced my allies on it they immediately wanted peace. Meanwhile Northern Yvresse is so infested with raiding Norscans it hurts to walk through and I'm at war with Saphery for some reason, and the Phoenix King is sitting in his palace contemplating what he shall do about the most severe matter of the delegates from Saphery implying a mild insult against those from Cothique.

Good poo poo.

Having a severe argument over High Lord Filloniel Brightmoon using the wrong fork for the second course at a state function and thus grievously offending Prince Elorin Starshine while Chaos invades and the world burns down around you is basically 100% on brand for Warhammer High Elves.

One major tip is to never depend on your allies to do literally anything.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 21, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Forgot to add: the main reason to remove Community Modding Framework is that it breaks most campaign scripts from the Prophet and the Warlock onwards.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Is there a good up-to-date breakdown or guide or something on how to not loving suck at campaign map management? Because I can win battles but like how the gently caress are people managing more than 2 or 3 regions? Every time I go one direction to expand, because I need to, to not die and lose, three different factions attack from three different directions. So I have to run my armies back across my territory to break sieges but as soon as I get close the AI runs their armies away and even if I catch them I only get like four or five turns of peace and then they bring a doomstack back into my poo poo, and that's barely enough time to even get back to wherever I was dealing with before.

It feels like every AI faction knows that they don't have to win, they just have to prevent the player from winning, so they can do whatever stupid suicidal poo poo as long as it fucks my poo poo up.

Like, my current attempt is Ikit Claw vortex. I take River Qurveza and then head south to take Headhunter's Jungle and Mangrove Coast. Then some shitlizards come and siege from the Southern Great Jungle. So I turn around and get them to gently caress off. Then some Dark Elf boatfuckers flop all over the Mangrove Coast. So I head south and kick their asses. Their faction is destroyed. Yay. But loving Itza is still stumbling around drunk and sieging the River Qurveza area. Repeat forever. It's turn 86 and I'm still loving around on this idiot southern zone unable to secure anything because the second I turn in one direction, some dipshit reptiles or scene elves come around laying siege to settlements and I have to spend 3+ turns shuffling my dumbass rat idiots all the way to Chupayotl to get them to leave and they won't even fight me once I arrive.

Is there some strategy I should be employing that will make this not suck rear end? Can you win a vortex campaign with like two regions? Or is the campaign map just doomed to be "run around like loving morons chasing AI that's desperately avoiding any fights that it doesn't think it can 100% win while other factions poke you in the rear end because your army isn't there right now" because I had enough of that bullshit in EVE and I have zero patience for it unless the AI starts sending me really salty killmail.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 21, 2019

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's cool that Eshin's campaign can go so different based on who antagonizes you first. In my game I ran afoul of the Dwarves early on, so now Grimgor and I are BFFs. The Orc forces are alarmingly huge and own pretty much the whole wasteland area but it doesn't bother me because I took Karak. I also established undercities in every single Orc city, so my food is constantly maxed out. I just unlocked That One Contract so I was thinking of shanking Grimgor but frankly I like my undercity friend. Maybe I'll shank Karl

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Re: fighting in lustria. Have the most vulnerable settlement defended with walls and garrisoned with sub par troops while your LL goes bananas on all your enemies. You need to eradicate them to the last settlement, and raise new armies as you go.
Knocking out itza takes great priority, either use a plague priest suicide bomber or the scheme of doom warlock to soften them up. Itza is also a great base to “anchor” the center of south lustria. Get it to t5 and put walls on it. Don’t go south unless you plan on getting ALL the territory south.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Playing Malus really reminds me how miserable it is to navigate the mountains without underground stance.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I dunno why I never thought of it but you can actually have MULTIPLE engineers in your Skryre armies and their passive powers combine... My current stacks are four stormvermins with shields to body-block, four ratlings to mow down soldiers, two plagueclaws or lightnings for spice, a couple of jezails. two warp grinders to warp-quake the ensuing blobs and serve as a last line of shut-down in case my storm vermins aren't holding the line. I always thought since the AI likes to stack up three or four heros it was a bad idea but actually its real good!! especially once you get a plague furnace for the priest to help out the front.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My last campaign was with Ikit, so when Malus got hit with 3 decent Skaven armies I got a bit nervous. I wanted to take at least one of them down on my turn. Army had 2 Lightning Cannons, 3 or 4 Ratling Teams, Doomwheel and usual assortment of skirmish and melee Rats. And drat, AI loves to waste opportunities: they basically let me put a steep hill between our armies, while my crossbows messed them up.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just had an annoying bug that I couldn't use the 'plunge into anarchy' ability after using the 'food stash' ability for no real reason. All requirements were met and Snikch wasn't doing anything, it's just like the game didn't think I had the 5 necessary Eshin points. To fix it I just did a 1 point ability and waited 5 turns for it to get to 5 'naturally' and for some reason that seemed to work.

I know the ability is controversial and it seems like a lot of the purists hate it, but personally I have no issue with crazy assymetrical crap in a single player mode. Sure it's obscenely powerful, but that is mostly because every CPU computer elf, human, and dwarf confederate together by turn 100 or so. Also, gently caress the bearded tide. I can't wait for the greenskins to be revamped.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Man, what is up with Norscan garrisons? I can't deal with size 17 garrisons full of champions and trolls and mammoths. In every little town.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Elukka posted:

Man, what is up with Norscan garrisons? I can't deal with size 17 garrisons full of champions and trolls and mammoths. In every little town.

They don't get walls so they get turbo-garrisons instead.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Anyone got any tips for playing as norsca? I always find myself behind economically and millitarily since they're both so interlinked, I end up budging up against like a dwarhold or whatever, unable to push on but unable to go back because I need to be doing war just to support my armies and its a whole thing...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Raid more. Sack more. Occupy less.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Re: Norsca you may need to try to send a separate army to yolo into Empire/Bret lands. There are some really juicy targets that you can scoop out if you’re only looking to raid/sack vs occupy. Best results are usually if you can get the replen buff from the whatever non-t3 god (is it snek t2 or maybe t1?). Until you build enough income to have like several hundred k in the bank it really felt like eyeing targets of opportunity more than traditional holding territory. Lotta time it felt like the trick was keep your territory by pissing off all the AIs and keeping them chasing ya.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

Yeah, the easiest way to bog down and start backsliding as Norsca is to take a lot of territory early on. The easy confederation makes it super easy to just own the entirety of Norsca at turn 30 and then you realize whoops Norscan settlements are actually total poo poo and now you have a zillion miles of territory producing almost no income and are also basically indefensible. Similarly, taking territory from your southern enemies early on is also a waste - it's hard to defend and territory that you take is a broken piggy bank that will no longer generate future sack income.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone noticed Malekith absolutely dominating the north in Vortex after the patch? In my current Teclis game he has 45 settlements, and the only reason he's slowed down is he confederated Malus and keeps sending armies across the entire map to defend his starting islands.
Same story for my Tiktaq'To and Malus games earlier.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Third World Reagan posted:

This is good advice, and one of the reasons I have a hard time with the races that rely on fighting for income (chaos warriors, beastmen, Nakai if you want more than 1 or 2 armies, norsca, etc). It would be great if the AI just kind of left you alone like they do with AI Norsca, but I always ended up with AI good armies making a beeline for the north and crushing my poorly defended settlements the moment I tried to go anywhere else.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I couldn't remember why Orion with a stack of Waywatchers was more fun than Alith Anar and a stack of Shadow Masters(?) and at first I thought it was just the AP versus Poison-imbued missiles but actually it's loading up with a bunch of Heroes with Talon of Kurnous and mowing down the enemy with your laser-accurate 100+ damage 400+ range army of elf commandos

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Playing as Repanse on ME, I killed off Arkhan and I am disappointed that the Knights Of The Flame did not offer to confederate - is there something else I need to do for them to offer?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Playing as Repanse on ME, I killed off Arkhan and I am disappointed that the Knights Of The Flame did not offer to confederate - is there something else I need to do for them to offer?

They did for me after I took the Caliph Palace settlement iirc

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hargrimm posted:

They did for me after I took the Caliph Palace settlement iirc
Must have bugged out for me, then. Tis a shame.

I wonder if it matters that I took the Major settlement first? Took the Islands after the major settlement.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
These new poison wind mortars are new levels of warcrimes against infantry sheesh :clint: