Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

I tried Flurry and the RoF was too slow for my taste :/

Hmm the attack speed seemed pretty good to me though thinking about it I may have had Hermes buffing my attack speed too since I ran that awhile ago and just don't remember

Broken Cog posted:

I had mixed success with the sniper upgrade. "Distant enemies" seems to mean at the very end of your attack range, and it's very hard to consistently hit powershots on those.

I generally dash away from my target till they're like half off screen and start charging and they tend to get in range by the time the power shot is ready unless they're a witch or something that likes to run away.
Also are you using a controller or kb+m? I find that there's a little bit of aim assist with my mouse so it makes it easier to focus on just the timing of the powershot for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The best part about flurry is that it gives your dash attack full range, making it much easier to stay away from enemies (and use the distant enemies bonus, if you have it). I’m partial to explosive arrows + double attack, though - it’s a pretty significant damage boost and the interrupt is great for locking down groups of enemies without having to use specific attack boons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I bought this game for 10bux with the Epic coupon and I've been having a good time. The combat is at least as good as Dead Cells while also eliminating a lot of the things that annoyed me about Dead Cells. The voice acting is also rather charming.

I got pretty far on my last attempt and now Achilles isn't back at my base so I can't give him all this blood. Does he show up again at some point?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
NPCs will sometimes be off doing other things. He'll probably be around after your next run.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
While we've got Dead Cells in here, I wish this game had a bit more variation in the levels for each run. The only differences pretty much come through the abilities you pick up, the stages and bosses are more or less the same (with the exception of the furies, and with some exceptions for higher levels of additional boss ability Pact of Pain, though I've only noticed differences with the Furies and the Hydra so far), since it's all just... rooms.

The presentation is excellent though, and I do appreciate that everything has obscene amounts of voice lines, so you rarely hear repeats.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mzbundifund posted:

I used the Hera aspect last night with the Artemis cast and I'm pretty sure it's bugged in some way. I would load up all my casts into an arrow, shoot a guy, and he would take 1 cast's worth of damage and only get 1 bloodstone icon on the enemy. Then even though it showed my available bloodstone total as 0/3, if I right-clicked again it would suddenly realize I had 2/3 bloodstones left and update the display accordingly. It didn't happen all the time, but it seemed to happen more often if I was shooting at enemies at the limit of my normal arrow range or offscreen.

I just went in the game again and yeah, this kept happening to me for sure, although I don't know why or if it's even a bug or what. I was using the Aphrodite cast this time, and sometimes I would be able to load three ammo into the shot (indicator showing 0/3), hit an enemy and have only a single bloodstone show up. It was then possible to immediately load two more (indicator first going to 1/3, then to 0/3 again) and fire them. Or rather, it seems only one bloodstone counted in the first place. It doesn't happen every time, sometimes two stones make it into the enemy, sometimes only one. I bet if I had more ammo any variation could happen. Very strange, but feels a lot like a bug.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, that sounds like a bug. You should hit F10 in game and report it.

Are you on EGS or Steam? I just tried this out and it seems to be working as intended for me with and without boons. Weird.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a bug. You should hit F10 in game and report it.

Are you on EGS or Steam? I just tried this out and it seems to be working as intended for me with and without boons. Weird.

Yep, reported it. Steam version. It updated the other day, so I assume they're the same across stores?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, I would assume. But I'm on EGS and can't reproduce that one, so who knows? :iiam:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

If anyone's curious, and I guess just to prove to myself I'm not crazy, here's a video I managed to capture of it. Keep a close eye on the bloodstone tracker in the bottom left. https://gfycat.com/shortrichcreature

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeeeeaaaahhh, I didn't quite understand the weapon aspects and thought you had to upgrade the first tier before getting the second. So I have 3 bloods in Styg for Zag and then some more in Nemesis, and then 1 in the aegis for the chaos aspect... Whoops? I figured it out but I dumped a bunch in the Zag aspect for styg that I never use.

Really wish I could respec most of that. Guess I need to make do with what I've got until I can get more through other means, but I'm tempted to start over almost, except I'm like 20-30 runs in...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The more I play this game, the more it just saddens me. I love the aesthetics of it, but I don't understand how anyone can find iframing through bullet hell engaging and fun, especially when you can't see what's going on and you're really just guessing what is where. I just want another game that plays more like Isaac, with defense based on actual movement, planning, and manipulating the AI, but with the steps forward some of these other games have taken.

As bad as it was that in Isaac you could get RNG'd into no damage upgrades, that plus the expectation of doing zero damage taken full clears really put the onus on the developer to make the gameplay just exquisitely solid in the way none of its competition begins to approach.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Man, the Shield is a bit good against the final boss. Feels like that, some kind of ranged damage and a lot of patience is enough? I'm sure the other stuff helped but I just had a very low-damage run and I managed to get through all the same (for only my second win so I'm not even good).

About the Olympians' keepsakes - a number of times I've switched to one mid-run and the effect didn't trigger at all. Do they only work as the first keepsake?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Brightman posted:

Yeeeeaaaahhh, I didn't quite understand the weapon aspects and thought you had to upgrade the first tier before getting the second. So I have 3 bloods in Styg for Zag and then some more in Nemesis, and then 1 in the aegis for the chaos aspect... Whoops? I figured it out but I dumped a bunch in the Zag aspect for styg that I never use.

Really wish I could respec most of that. Guess I need to make do with what I've got until I can get more through other means, but I'm tempted to start over almost, except I'm like 20-30 runs in...

I didn't know blood would be limited until winning the first run, so I spent mine all on the basic spear. I eventually beat it with the spear, but quickly did it again with just one point of Chaos Shield. I also just completed a run with one point in Poseidon Sword. So you're definitely not screwed.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Glare Seethe posted:

About the Olympians' keepsakes - a number of times I've switched to one mid-run and the effect didn't trigger at all. Do they only work as the first keepsake?

They work if you swap. What they do is force the next boon you run into to be theirs which doesn’t mean you’re getting a boon any quicker.

For anyone wondering what the point of the Hera bow is, I just had a ~20 minute run with festive fog and Hera bow. I ended up with 4 casts thanks to a chaos boon and something like 270 on each festive fog. It obviates the need to aim or time the lob and turns your shot into a 1300 damage aoe alpha strike.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do note that Hermes does not count as a God for those trinkets and can appear before the mandated boon.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just did my first bow clear with a Zeus/Poseidon build to spam knockback-bolts with the special. Was pretty fun, even though I didn't have the optimal bow for the job.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Got my first full clear with, to my surprise, sword rather than rail (or shield). Very synergistic athena-ares pile, with a buncha Dash Attack and Attack buffs from Master Chaos.

still got down to 25hp on my last life against the final boss before getting full stacks on the Zeus Button to finish the job

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Hera's Bow does seem a little bit buggy like what others mentioned. Multiple times the cast only hits 1 time, while other times it does function properly. Same as the ammo. Having no boons too at the moment.

On Steam if it matters.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
gently caress how the hell did I miss this game? Game is fun as hell and for only $10

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Adamant Rail seems like the worst weapon in the game, but it's very easy to get broken synergies with it.

Stack boons and effects that increase your special's damage and give crit chance, then throw on the Daedalus effect that changes your special into a rocket launcher, and then the one that lets you fire 3 specials in quick succession. Suddenly you are running around shooting missiles at everything that do like 500 (x3) damage every couple of seconds and it's a free win.

The other utterly broken combo I found was Poseidon's knockback dash, slam into walls to deal 300% damage, and the heroic "Your knockback's can knockback additional times" effect. Stack with the Hermes ability that gives you like 4 extra dashes and you can just spam dash on an enemy to do like 3000 damage. Doesn't work too well against bosses, though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Broke my time record with an infinite-ammo-rocket-special Eris build which felt awesome, but I can't help but think it spoiled all future adamant rail runs for me by eliminating the two most annoying parts of the weapon.

BabyRyoga posted:

The other utterly broken combo I found was Poseidon's knockback dash, slam into walls to deal 300% damage, and the heroic "Your knockback's can knockback additional times" effect. Stack with the Hermes ability that gives you like 4 extra dashes and you can just spam dash on an enemy to do like 3000 damage. Doesn't work too well against bosses, though.

Heh, yeah I had a build that spammed Poseidon dash and did 500+ wall damage. I was clearing Styx rooms in seconds. Barely did poo poo to bosses, and I didn't complete the run...

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 21, 2019

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Tiramisu posted:

They work if you swap. What they do is force the next boon you run into to be theirs which doesn’t mean you’re getting a boon any quicker.

Bruceski posted:

Do note that Hermes does not count as a God for those trinkets and can appear before the mandated boon.

I was going to reply to the first post and say that it's definitely bugged for me but then I saw the second post. It was indeed Hermes who showed up first both times this happened so that explains it! Thanks.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ugh, what is with runs occasionally having atrocious boon distributions, and can anything be done about them (if you don't have rerolls)? I just wanted to do a lightning gas cloud bow build. My offers were almost exclusively Dionysus and Ares, who have almost no synergy. Does picking a god's boon make them way more likely to appear later on, at the expense of the other gods?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Finally finished the game with the Adamant Rail. I'm not particularly fond of that thing; the ammo mechanic is too awkward for me, usually. However, with the triple grenade launcher, the faster main attack, even faster main attack via Hermes upgrade, the Artemis cast and upgrade that doubles your spell casts, the other upgrade that makes you fire another arrow when you do things, extra ammo and +88% cast speed, you essentially become a Macross robot with missile launchers on full blast.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah the adamant rail is weird in that when it gets going, it really gets going, but on its own it's the worst-feeling weapon in the game

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012
Adamant rail has... some issues. Base form is great if you get Zeus, and "okay" otherwise. I've heard Poseidon can make it good, but I've yet to get a run going that used rail and water myself.

However I will support the one aspect that makes manual reloads give a ton of base damage. That one really changes it up when you're doing 100 a shot. Reloads can get annoying but it doesn't stop you from firing after the big shot. With 100+ damage base, you can use any of the +% damage boons and suddenly have a real beast on your hands. You'll have to hit and run, but that's what you usually do in this game.

The other aspect about absorbing your special though... that's garbo.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Lekon posted:

The other aspect about absorbing your special though... that's garbo.

Whaaaaat that’s the best one. At max level it’s a +60% damage boost just for standing in the explosive radius of your special. It’s trivial to maintain and boosts the absurd damage of special stacking even higher.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It's all right with Poseidon's attack boon because the pushback can carry enemies all the way to the other side of the stage, or into whatever other obstacle is nearby. So if you stack up on pushback effects you can pretty much nail targets to a wall and stop them from doing anything. But it's pretty rare that that's actually a viable way to clear an entire room.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
How do I give nectar to an olympian? I have a nectar and can't find the option anywhere.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lakitu7 posted:

How do I give nectar to an olympian? I have a nectar and can't find the option anywhere.
Right trigger when you're facing them (or the orb, for gods). There's a prompt on screen right below the talk/accept one when you can do it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I see it now. Thanks!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Who am I supposed to give this blood to (the item you get the first time you kill Meg)? I thought Z mentioned giving it to Achilles but I don't see the option to gift it to him, only the nectar.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

exquisite tea posted:

Who am I supposed to give this blood to (the item you get the first time you kill Meg)? I thought Z mentioned giving it to Achilles but I don't see the option to gift it to him, only the nectar.

The blood is for upgrading weapons. Interact with a weapon again in the training room after you've equipped it and you'll enter the upgrade screen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't see a prompt to interact with the weapon at all after I equip it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't see a prompt to interact with the weapon at all after I equip it.

That might not be unlocked from the start

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

gandlethorpe posted:

Ugh, what is with runs occasionally having atrocious boon distributions, and can anything be done about them (if you don't have rerolls)? I just wanted to do a lightning gas cloud bow build. My offers were almost exclusively Dionysus and Ares, who have almost no synergy. Does picking a god's boon make them way more likely to appear later on, at the expense of the other gods?

It definitely nudges things the more boons you get. If I take variety I tend to keep seeing a range, if I keep homing on one or two it seems to give you that chance to go deeper into the tree for the combo skills. Remember you can change trinkets between biomes to force a noon. Also those two combo real good if you get blade cast into poison, full degen build. Slap doom on something and it's real easy to get the 50% damage boost for two debuffs on an enemy, which makes doom do like 300 to 400 when it hits, and your poison tock for 80 to 100 every half second. More if you get the delay skill which adds ~70%.

quote:

Whaaaaat that’s the best one. At max level it’s a +60% damage boost just for standing in the explosive radius of your special. It’s trivial to maintain and boosts the absurd damage of special stacking even higher.

Yeah it's important that unlike other weapons, that is a boost to ALL damage, not just your attack. So poison, blade rift, casts, etc. It can get out of hand quickly, it's so good.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 21, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

That might not be unlocked from the start

I'm on 10 runs already, are weapon upgrades supposed to unlock past a certain point then?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I read something somewhere that it doesn't unlock until you have all the weapons unlocked? But I'm not sure if that's all you need either. I'm trying to figure it out also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I'm on 10 runs already, are weapon upgrades supposed to unlock past a certain point then?

Have you unlocked all five weapons yet? Fairly sure that's what triggers it.