Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Instead of playing Wiz4 I suggest a more entertaining and user-friendly equivalent that'll still give you a similarly enjoyable experience, like repeatedly driving an ice-pick through your foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wizardry 4 is hilarious and I'm glad it exists but I will never ever play it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's the kind of game Let's Plays are for.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Isn't Paper Sorcerer a sane, modernized version of Wiz4?

Might be worth checking out if "mediocre wizard survives dungeon by summoning monsters" sounds like your cup of tea.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Isn't Paper Sorcerer a sane, modernized version of Wiz4?

Might be worth checking out if "mediocre wizard survives dungeon by summoning monsters" sounds like your cup of tea.

Only in theme, and "sane" is relative. Do you like every fight being against a handful of massive damage sponges that taking 20+ minutes to kill?

Realistically though, Paper Sorcerer and Wiz4 play really differently. Paper Sorcerer is really just a traditional RPG except your party are monsters and the enemies are adventurers. Each monster gains levels, can use different types of equipment, and acts as a specific role in the party (tank, healer, damage dealer, etc) like any other RPG. Your sorcerer is just one more party member and shoulders just as much weight (if not more) than the monsters he summons.

In Wizardry 4 it actually feels like a true role reversal where you're playing as a generic random encounter from a traditional RPG. Your one actual "character" is almost completely useless until the end of the game, combat does you absolutely no good as there's no EXP mechanic and almost all loot is worthless, and all the heavy lifting is done by generic groups of disposable, nameless monsters. There really hasn't been another RPG since that really captures that feel as far as I know. There may be a good reason for that, of course.

I'm not saying one game is specifically better than the other--I'm a crazy person that likes both--but they're not really comparable in most ways.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I like paper sorcerer a lot but i normally dislike first person dungeon crawl rpgs so my opinion on the subject likely doesnt matter much.

The gimmick of being the "powerful evil wizard" and escaping a dungeon by summoning monsters and fighting all the heroes that helped put you away was really cool and I thought the gameplay was really fun even if the bosses were a little too spongy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Paper Sorcerer had a great concept, but sadly only mediocre gameplay even by the standards of first-person dungeon crawlers of that sort.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Only in theme, and "sane" is relative. Do you like every fight being against a handful of massive damage sponges that taking 20+ minutes to kill?

Realistically though, Paper Sorcerer and Wiz4 play really differently. Paper Sorcerer is really just a traditional RPG except your party are monsters and the enemies are adventurers. Each monster gains levels, can use different types of equipment, and acts as a specific role in the party (tank, healer, damage dealer, etc) like any other RPG. Your sorcerer is just one more party member and shoulders just as much weight (if not more) than the monsters he summons.

In Wizardry 4 it actually feels like a true role reversal where you're playing as a generic random encounter from a traditional RPG. Your one actual "character" is almost completely useless until the end of the game, combat does you absolutely no good as there's no EXP mechanic and almost all loot is worthless, and all the heavy lifting is done by generic groups of disposable, nameless monsters. There really hasn't been another RPG since that really captures that feel as far as I know. There may be a good reason for that, of course.

I'm not saying one game is specifically better than the other--I'm a crazy person that likes both--but they're not really comparable in most ways.

Ah, that's a shame. It's one of those game that's on my radar but I never got around to playing.

I figured the monsters would be static, disposable that get chewed up in encounters, which would be an interesting exercise in resource management, so it's sad to hear it actually plays like a standard dungeon crawler.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Paper Sorcerer was also quite buggy when I played it. Sometimes you'll load a save and the game will suddenly decide the door to the room you're in is now closed when the only switch to open it is on the other side, or you just wasted the last 15 minutes working on a dungeon puzzle because one of the items needed to solve it failed to spawn properly. You can teleport back to a checkpoint at any time, so you usually won't end up in an unsalvageable situation because of stuff like that, but it's still frustrating.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Paper Sorcerer is usually only a couple bucks on sale so if you are remotely interested it is worth picking up if even just to check out the cool stylized dungeon art.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The ink-and-paper artstyle is really cool and basically what Darkest Dungeon would look like if it was black and white and little less cartoonish in its proportions.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I find Wizardry 4 just doesn't feel like a CRPG to me. It feels more like someone trying to make an adventure game out of the Wizardry 1-3 engine. Way more focused on puzzles and items than combat. I still love it though! Definitely worth checking out, especially for the "grandmaster" ending.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Wizardry 4 feels more like a rogue-like set in the Wizardry universe before roguelikes became popular enough to be an entire subgenre of games.
Paper Sorcerer has a nice papery-visual FPS mode tied to a "early NES rpg" backend/combat system. Going through all the menus in Paper Sorcerer is way more difficult than it should be for a game using the Unreal Engine(or maybe I'm just mis-remembering seeing the Unreal engine logo during game bootup).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

Wizardry 4 feels more like a rogue-like set in the Wizardry universe before roguelikes became popular enough to be an entire subgenre of games.
Paper Sorcerer has a nice papery-visual FPS mode tied to a "early NES rpg" backend/combat system. Going through all the menus in Paper Sorcerer is way more difficult than it should be for a game using the Unreal Engine(or maybe I'm just mis-remembering seeing the Unreal engine logo during game bootup).

Wiz 4 definitely isn't a traditional RPG in almost any sense. It turns so many genre tropes on their heads, which is pretty impressive for a game that came out in 1987. Not just "being the bad guy" but stuff like no significant character advancement, combat being a complete waste of time, 95% of loot being worthless, lack of persistent party members--it's a fun experimental game that's really interesting, even if it's not necessarily fun for most people.

Also Paper Sorcerer is using Unity. I poked around in some of its assets using Unity viewer, there's a good amount of stuff that I don't think made it into the final game that's still sitting around in there. Also the Paper Sorcerer saves are trivially easy to edit, and you can do things like edit in dummied-out skill manuals that improve your stats. Poking around in the saves I was able to compile a list of all the items in the game and uh...there's not a lot of consistency or organization. It's a fun game to pick apart.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Paper Sorcerer is usually only a couple bucks on sale so if you are remotely interested it is worth picking up if even just to check out the cool stylized dungeon art.

It's at 80% off in the steam sale now, which drops it to practically free.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Paper Sorcerer is also for sale on GOG at the moment with a similarly heavy discount. I've heard the GOG version has a couple of extra monster types that were originally meant to be Kickstarter exclusive, while the Steam version doesn't.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Thuryl posted:

Paper Sorcerer is also for sale on GOG at the moment with a similarly heavy discount. I've heard the GOG version has a couple of extra monster types that were originally meant to be Kickstarter exclusive, while the Steam version doesn't.

Yeah the GOG version lets you use the Succubus and Dryad which I believe the Steam version doesn't have. The Dryad is the best healer in the game IMO and I don't think I would have ever beaten 80s difficulty without the Succubus. You probably don't strictly need them as they're mostly just better versions of the Witch and Imp respectively but they're nice to have.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Did Underworld Ascendant ever get better?

I remember when it came out, it was so unready Rock Paper Shotgun refused to review it. But that was a year ago, did they ever improve it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Paper Sorcerer was made before Unity had any kind of decent UI system (it's all IMGUI) and I don't think the dev was very experienced. So I can understand how the UI is pretty rough. It is somewhat old for an indie game.

Hell, it was before UE4 released and I don't recall UE3 had much in the way of stock UI systems either. This is was back when you saw Scaleform UIs everywhere in AAA games. I don't think there was much to make life easier for an indie dev with UI.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I enjoyed playing Paper Sorcerer immensely, and the optional goblin-thief NPC shrugging at all locked doors/puzzles never got old for me.
Each boss fight in PS was unique-ish, but none of the boss fights put as much fear in me as whenever I encountered vorpal bats in Paper Sorcerer. Those things would gently caress you up HARD so many ways in-game .

Back to Grimoire: the Cleve Blakemore RPG.
Grimoire is currently on sale at both GOG & Steam right now. -50% Grimoire discount on Steam, -25% Grimoire discount on GOG. Consistency isn't Cleve's style.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1431434136007141225

quote:

Mon, July 24, 2017 @ 6:43 am EDT

Grimoire Opening Discount of 10%
I have decided it is just a nice thing to do for people who have been waiting years to play my game if I offered a 10% discount on the game during it's first week. After this ends, I want to assure anyone waiting for the game that Grimoire will never, ever sell at a discount at any time it is on the Steam store ever again. I won't permit it to be sold below it's retail value for any reason. I am too proud of my finished product to permit it to be turned into simply another commodity in a Steam sale. If Valve ever decides that sales of the product no longer justify it having a page then I will move it to another venue - but as the author I will never offer my game at a discount again anywhere. I'm not a corporation that turns out games like sausages and computes their price curves over rates of decay in market value. Grimoire is my unique and proprietary product and I only want to sell it to the most hardcore fans of the genre. I was never targeting the mass market or casual gamers. It is in the first paragraph of the original design document I wrote more than 20 years ago when I was putting a proposal together that described the entire game end-to-end in both story, design and implementation. It was an aristocrat's manifesto when it was written and the language was specifically that of an aristocrat declaring the game was not going to be designed to appeal to the masses. Only fans of the genre.

In other news, Ellsworth Hall is continuing his development of a full suite of musical scores based on the original MIDI themes he created for Grimoire and these will be offered for sale alongside Grimoire at some time in the future on a CD on the store if approved by Steam.

The release of Grimoire is now one week away.

Grimoire still feels overpriced somehow, waiting for a -75% discount before buying in.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 20, 2019

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Some people in the GOG forums for the game seem to think it's a better game now than when first released.

I'm still not buying it tho.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Some people in the GOG forums for the game seem to think it's a better game now than when first released.

I'm still not buying it tho.

Yeah I'm intrigued and kind of want to try it as I'm a sucker for weird obtuse classic RPGs in general, but I'm not giving Cleve any of my money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wizardry 4 is banned under the Geneva convention

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah I'm intrigued and kind of want to try it as I'm a sucker for weird obtuse classic RPGs in general, but I'm not giving Cleve any of my money.

Some of the screenshots of it look interesting, but apart from Cleve being an rear end in a top hat, it just looks clunky and obtuse to play. I'd rather watch/read a Let's Play of it done by some had more experience with old CPRGs, and could articulate what about worked and what didn't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And if one wants to play off brand Wizardry, I mean, the Japanese Wizardry games exist and are good. Tale of the Forsaken Land got an English release and it's seriously up there with Bane of the Cosmic Forge. The PS4 one that came out a couple years ago is okay too, but it's more in the oldschool Wiz formula

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tales of the Forsaken Land is definitely a legit good game with some neat ideas. I'd love to see a pc version with a better translation.

There are also an endless number of Japanese Wizardry knock offs that are probably way more solid of a game than Grimoire. Even enduring the most wonky hyper sexualized anime harem thing is going to be less terrible than the endless poo poo that is wrong with Cleve.

I bought Strangers of Sword City a while back. It actually isn't that anime for a Japanese dungeon crawler and I don't recall any creep factor, but for whatever reason I could never get very far with it. There was nothing wrong with it I just never felt motivated to continue playing.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

FuzzySlippers posted:

There are also an endless number of Japanese Wizardry knock offs that are probably way more solid of a game than Grimoire. Even enduring the most wonky hyper sexualized anime harem thing is going to be less terrible than the endless poo poo that is wrong with Cleve.

I own a copy of Grimoire from when it showed up, discounted heavily, on itch.io. It's... well, it's exactly what it looks like, the PC game equivalent of an FRPG heartbreaker, needlessly obtuse in ways its creator doesn't see and It's fine, but you're entirely right -- there are quite a few Japanese Wiz-clones (and, in the case of Operation Abyss/Babel, actual Wizardries) and most of them scratch that itch quite well, even the ones without boobs everywhere. (I bought Moero Chronicle in a sale without looking at it too closely.)

Hey, typing this out made me check, and apparently the itch copy now comes with a Steam key, so, yay, I guess?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

precision posted:

Wizardry 4 is banned under the Geneva convention
That just means you can't use it in war. The police are still allowed to use it on people.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

atholbrose posted:

I own a copy of Grimoire from when it showed up, discounted heavily, on itch.io. It's... well, it's exactly what it looks like, the PC game equivalent of an FRPG heartbreaker, needlessly obtuse in ways its creator doesn't see and It's fine, but you're entirely right -- there are quite a few Japanese Wiz-clones (and, in the case of Operation Abyss/Babel, actual Wizardries) and most of them scratch that itch quite well, even the ones without boobs everywhere. (I bought Moero Chronicle in a sale without looking at it too closely.)

Hey, typing this out made me check, and apparently the itch copy now comes with a Steam key, so, yay, I guess?
Just play any of the half-dozen Etrian Odyssey games, really. Don't need to go any farther than that and they're perfectly adequate early-Wizardry clones, and in fact often quite a bit better than those. They do force you to draw your own maps, though, which is as tedious as it sounds.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's making the reverse mistake from the Wiz8 one. Again, Grimoire is claiming to be a Wizardry VII successor. The japanese Wizardry games and Wiz-clones are derived from Wizardry V, Bradley's refinement of the original Wiz formula: you versus The Dungeon, alternating deeper and deeper delves interrupted by having to come back for air, so to speak, in the local town. They add some bells and whistles and side activities, like the sea voyages in Etrian III, but they fundamentally never let go of that central premise, which in the japanese tradition is a pillar of Wizardry. Bradley, it turns out, wasn't interested in having it be a pillar at all: in Wiz V he added more events and interactions in the dungeon itself, in Wiz VI he got rid of the town in favor of having its services scattered among NPCs and items in the dungeon and made the plot a branching affair, and Wiz VII gets rid of the central dungeon. Instead of a linearly organized dungeon Wiz VII is an extremely freeform open world. It has multiple towns, multiple dungeons, a diplomacy system with multiple opposing factions you can ally yourself with, multiple starting points, multiple endings. Some of the quest items might have moved around to another location by the time you reach them!

It's that freeform experience that Grimoire is claiming to be the successor of, which is why the japanese Wizardry games and Wiz-clones aren't substitutes for it at all, they're adressing a different niche. If you were looking for a Wiz5-style game you weren't looking for Grimoire in the first place, regardless of its obtuseness and whether it's a good game or not. The Might & Magic games would be a closer equivalent to Wiz7, although more streamlined and less experimental. So again, it depends on what you're looking for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I means specifically if you want an early-Wizardry-like, or really any similar classic dungeon crawler. I think they emulate what was good about them very well.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I’d add a caveat that not all the Japanese Wizardries are that good though. The Busins and the Empires are pretty good, the Gaidens are kind of hit and miss, and the rest tend to range from mediocre to kinda bad.

There’s also the Elminages which are kind of an evolution of the Empires (especially Elminage Gothic)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I have Elminage Gothic somewhere but heard it was pretty mediocre

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, even the Steam rating is bad, and you how those are for niche games.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have Elminage Gothic somewhere but heard it was pretty mediocre

I thought it was fantastic, but I also played the 3DS version, which apparently has massive improvements to the original PSP version. And inexplicably the PC versions are based on the inferior PSP version, which probably explains the lukewarm reception.

I mean, in one dungeon I literally stole the teeth out of a vampire's mouth mid-fight, then equipped it on a character and spent the rest of the dungeon biting enemies and draining their levels. How can you not love a game that lets you do that?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Okay, so, I'd never played a Gold Box game outside of messing with Pool of Radiance on a school friend's Tandy 1000 back in the day. The collections are on massive discount over at GOG, so I picked up a couple. (Some Eye of the Beholder, too; same story.) Pool of Radiance holds up very well, gameplay-wise; the combats are just as much fun as I remember.

I am using GBC mostly for the mapping, but I'm using the party-fix and restore spell lists, too. Since I could always guarantee myself an uninterrupted rest with save scumming, I don't really see a problem with that. Anything else lurking in there I should know about?

I'm currently trying to get another level for everyone since the last combat (trolls and ogres) in the Slums is really kicking my butt. Luckily, there's a lot of random encounters right next door.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

atholbrose posted:

Okay, so, I'd never played a Gold Box game outside of messing with Pool of Radiance on a school friend's Tandy 1000 back in the day. The collections are on massive discount over at GOG, so I picked up a couple. (Some Eye of the Beholder, too; same story.) Pool of Radiance holds up very well, gameplay-wise; the combats are just as much fun as I remember.

I am using GBC mostly for the mapping, but I'm using the party-fix and restore spell lists, too. Since I could always guarantee myself an uninterrupted rest with save scumming, I don't really see a problem with that. Anything else lurking in there I should know about?

I'm currently trying to get another level for everyone since the last combat (trolls and ogres) in the Slums is really kicking my butt. Luckily, there's a lot of random encounters right next door.

You can do lots with GBC, but beside what you mentioned you can teleport your party which is really useful when you don't want to slog through innumerable random encounters when you're trying to get somewhere on the other side of the world.

Or edit your EXP back up to normal when you get level drained because 1E/2E level drain is bullshit.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Are there any recent games like Ultima Underworld, other than Underworld Ascendant, which I heard was really bad? I'd love for something modern that can scratch the itch

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Barony plays a lot like it, but with more of a roguelike take on the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Arx Fatalis was originally going to be UU2 and is very fun if you haven't played it.