Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm... not quite sure what the exact trigger is, looking around. At some point Skelly will point out that something's weird with the weapons, but it doesn't seem to be tied to game completion per se (as people have reported getting them before even making it to the final area). Maybe it's at a certain amount of earned Darkness, or a certain amount of kills? Looking at a game file with 9 (unsuccessful) escape attempts, 1658 kills on Stygius, and 1757 total Darkness when Aspects finally unlocked. All the Infernal Arms were already purchased by run 7, but the Reveal option didn't appear immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Iirc, it's unlock all weapons -> finish a run (die or maybe win) -> come back, Skelly says weapons are weird, can change aspects

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is the 4th aspect for each weapon unlockable yet? Or is that yet to come

I know the 6th weapon is entirely not in the game as of yet.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Artelier posted:

Iirc, it's unlock all weapons -> finish a run (die or maybe win) -> come back, Skelly says weapons are weird, can change aspects

It seems that way. It was the first time I came back (died) after unlocking the last weapon (rail).

Now I'm not sure what to actually upgrade. None of these enhancements sounds all that impressive and titan blood is extremely limited.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Is the 4th aspect for each weapon unlockable yet? Or is that yet to come

I know the 6th weapon is entirely not in the game as of yet.

The 4th aspects are yet to come

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lakitu7 posted:

It seems that way. It was the first time I came back (died) after unlocking the last weapon (rail).

Now I'm not sure what to actually upgrade. None of these enhancements sounds all that impressive and titan blood is extremely limited.

If you're boring like me, putting everything into crit chance for the bow, damage reduction on the shield, or extra ammo on the Rail is pretty effective.
Also it makes the rail less obnoxious to start off with.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Lakitu7 posted:

This is also my thought every time I look at the options but I've decided to simply unlock all the aspects first (rather than upgrade any single one beyond lvl 1), because I'm likely to want to try them all out anyway. So that saves me some indecision. If you favor one weapon over the others though it'd make sense to focus on that one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has anyone actually managed to use the shield aspects effectively? Both of them feel kinda lackluster compared to just bashing people's face in (with some extra damage reduction as a bonus).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Broken Cog posted:

Has anyone actually managed to use the shield aspects effectively? Both of them feel kinda lackluster compared to just bashing people's face in (with some extra damage reduction as a bonus).

The extra throwing shields seems really good to me. You're bullrushing all the time anyway, so just toss out your shield occasionally between charges to rack up tons of chip damage on all the other enemies. The damage reduction isn't as big a deal imo, since you can already block stuff with any shield.

I haven't tried the blitz shied outside of the training room yet. It seems underwhelming, but it doesn't make you lose your shield, so depending on how it interacts with special boons maybe it could be good?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Snake Maze posted:

The extra throwing shields seems really good to me. You're bullrushing all the time anyway, so just toss out your shield occasionally between charges to rack up tons of chip damage on all the other enemies. The damage reduction isn't as big a deal imo, since you can already block stuff with any shield.

I haven't tried the blitz shied outside of the training room yet. It seems underwhelming, but it doesn't make you lose your shield, so depending on how it interacts with special boons maybe it could be good?

I'm fully open to the idea that there are some combos that make the multiple shield throw useful (and I admittedly haven't upgraded it more than once), but I feel that if I want that chip/trigger on everything functionality I might as well run the bow.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Broken Cog posted:

I'm fully open to the idea that there are some combos that make the multiple shield throw useful (and I admittedly haven't upgraded it more than once), but I feel that if I want that chip/trigger on everything functionality I might as well run the bow.

Multishield is even better at it than the bow, in my experience, even with the base level with 2 shields. The ricochets will go around terrain and obstacles that block the bow's spread shot, and hit the same enemy multiple times.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Lakitu7 posted:

They don't seem much at first, but they can really change up your playstyle. Especially the Poseidon sword and Hera bow. Before unlocking them, I barely used cast. One of my favorite builds used the sword to repeatedly shotgun things to death with Aphrodite's cast.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The bow, despite being buggy as poo poo and seemingly randomly deciding how many spells to pack into your arrow, is still obscenely strong even with minimal investment. Nothing else so far has been able to match that damage output for me.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

Multishield is even better at it than the bow, in my experience, even with the base level with 2 shields. The ricochets will go around terrain and obstacles that block the bow's spread shot, and hit the same enemy multiple times.

If you get the hammer boon that makes shield ricochet 6 times off of enemies, the multi shield throw gets downright silly.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
In the early going, when you still have very limited titan's blood, I think it's smart to open the aspects that are very effective without leveling them up. Hera aspect is fun and very effective without any upgrades at all. The drop time boost isn't that critical. Same for Poseidon aspect on the sword. I suppose getting a 50% damage boost on cast would be nice on a high heat run, but the main attraction is really dislodging the bloodstones. I absolutely LOVE the Chiron aspect for the bow. It's one of my favorites. But it really needs to be at the top level to bother with it. So I wouldn't advocate opening it unless you have 15 titan's blood you are comfortable spending. Playing in sniper mode with Hestia aspect for the rail is also awesome, but only worth it at max level.

Also, I think it's really worth pumping up the original aspects in some cases. It was very hard for me to go back to normal speed after playing a bunch with the 30% boost on Zagreus aspect for the sword. The shield and rail also are worth pumping up. Starting aspects are also comparatively cheap. Only 5 titan's blood to max out!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I finally got to the second phase of the final boss finally, using a whole mishmash of different boon types. I was using the spear with a boon that lets the special bounce to 7 enemies at a time, each bounce doing 120 doom damage, plus my dash had a multistrike lightning bolt with each strike adding an extra strike that does +40, plus the lightning applied like 180 damage of jolt, plus my main attack (fast pokes with no spin) dealt poison, and my cast was a cloud of Festive Fog that causes poisoned enemies to take +100% damage. I was clearing entire encounters in seconds, especially in the warrens before the final battle. The first phase of the final battle was quite easy but when he came back for the second phase I was dead within half a second. I'm not exactly sure what he did or if I'll ever make it that far again

:negative:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Volte posted:

I finally got to the second phase of the final boss finally, using a whole mishmash of different boon types. I was using the spear with a boon that lets the special bounce to 7 enemies at a time, each bounce doing 120 doom damage, plus my dash had a multistrike lightning bolt with each strike adding an extra strike that does +40, plus the lightning applied like 180 damage of jolt, plus my main attack (fast pokes with no spin) dealt poison, and my cast was a cloud of Festive Fog that causes poisoned enemies to take +100% damage. I was clearing entire encounters in seconds, especially in the warrens before the final battle. The first phase of the final battle was quite easy but when he came back for the second phase I was dead within half a second. I'm not exactly sure what he did or if I'll ever make it that far again

:negative:

don't worry, you'll come across something even more broken in the next few runs.

Got my first clear today with the rail. I lucked out by having my very first upgrade be the rocket launcher, a little while later in Tartarus I got Triple Bombs, and the rest is history.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

In the early going, when you still have very limited titan's blood, I think it's smart to open the aspects that are very effective without leveling them up. Hera aspect is fun and very effective without any upgrades at all. The drop time boost isn't that critical. Same for Poseidon aspect on the sword. I suppose getting a 50% damage boost on cast would be nice on a high heat run, but the main attraction is really dislodging the bloodstones. I absolutely LOVE the Chiron aspect for the bow. It's one of my favorites. But it really needs to be at the top level to bother with it. So I wouldn't advocate opening it unless you have 15 titan's blood you are comfortable spending. Playing in sniper mode with Hestia aspect for the rail is also awesome, but only worth it at max level.

Also, I think it's really worth pumping up the original aspects in some cases. It was very hard for me to go back to normal speed after playing a bunch with the 30% boost on Zagreus aspect for the sword. The shield and rail also are worth pumping up. Starting aspects are also comparatively cheap. Only 5 titan's blood to max out!

This is really helpful for knowing where to spend the ones I have, but I'm confused how I'm ever going to have more than a handful of titan blood if they only drop once per weapon? I've read something about getting more as you increase difficulty after beating it once, but usually with these types of games I never get good enough to really do very difficult achievements so it seems very plausible that I'm only ever going to have these five, plus maybe five more as I manage to hopefully beat the game and get through the first boss once with each weapon in + mode. How the heck do people have 15, 20+ titan's blood, ever?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
to my surprise, I got my first win with the sword, not my trusty rail, on a run where I picked some stuff to unlock prophecy but wound up getting some Very Good chaos boon synergy and settling into an Ares-Athena pile

I'm sure pulling deflect-on-dash helped, that's imo the single best of the deflect options unless you're running, like, infinite-ammo Rail.

Still had 25hp left on my last life when I hit the Zeus Button to win.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just had a win with absolutely no synergy. Just Rail with poison on attack, a bunch of damage resistance (Athena, Aphrodite, Dionysus) and 500 max hp. Final boss couldn't bring my health down fast enough as I just facetanked everything he threw at me while my pitiful damage and poison burned him down.

Fun stuff.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lakitu7 posted:

This is really helpful for knowing where to spend the ones I have, but I'm confused how I'm ever going to have more than a handful of titan blood if they only drop once per weapon? I've read something about getting more as you increase difficulty after beating it once, but usually with these types of games I never get good enough to really do very difficult achievements so it seems very plausible that I'm only ever going to have these five, plus maybe five more as I manage to hopefully beat the game and get through the first boss once with each weapon in + mode. How the heck do people have 15, 20+ titan's blood, ever?

Because winning is as much about learning what combos work as it is about better mechanics, and that’s not even counting the mirror buffs you get as you go on.
And winning the game while (say) taking bonus trap damage is barely harder than winning normally.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Because winning is as much about learning what combos work as it is about better mechanics, and that’s not even counting the mirror buffs you get as you go on.
And winning the game while (say) taking bonus trap damage is barely harder than winning normally.

Yeah the lower heat level increases that I've done so far (I'm up to 5 with some weapons) are not really that much harder than the original game.

The one that gives bosses new stuff makes the Hydra less of a boring fight too which is nice

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Lakitu7 posted:

Yes, once you beat the game, it opens up the Pact of Punishment. This is a big list of custom difficulty modifiers that you can pick from. Everything you choose on the list gives you Heat points. Every time you raise the Heat on your run by one point, it gives you the big boss drops again. This is done for each weapon in the game. So by going through and doing runs that are just a little harder every time, you'll continue to accumulate blood. Also, make sure you get to work on the Fated List of Minor Prophecies in your room when you get the opportunity. They're basically there to incentivize trying new things. Some of them will give big payouts of titan's blood and other boss drops too. Right now, I've got somewhere around 78 titan's blood from doing runs with increasing Heat and clearing some of the larger prophesies. To be clear, my total is that high because I've held off on unlocking a lot of the weapon aspects. I don't want to dump all my blood before knowing what the last weapon and other aspects are going to be.

As for your concern that you're not going to be able to clear the game on progressive difficulties... Don't stress about it. You'll be surprised at how far you'll come. I am really not very good at games. It took a bunch of tries for me to get a full clear including the final boss, but now I rarely wash out and I've been able to do runs up to about 9 Heat so far. When you get the mirror maxed out and get your head wrapped around the build strategies, you'll get clears a lot more consistently than you'd imagine. This is not a Souls game. Supergiant wants people to beat their games. The baseline difficulty is designed to where most players will be able to get a clear after awhile and the difficulty increases in the ways that you want it to from there.

Edit - Also, it's really fine if you never touch the other weapon aspects. That's really all technically end game content for people who want to keep playing after beating it. Some of them are really fun, but none of it is mandatory to have a good time. The initial difficulty is really built around the starter builds.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 21, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Any idea what the missing monster from this list is? (Spoilered just in case, but it's not really a big spoiler). I've done 50+ runs by now and whatever it is just has never popped up. From where it is in the list I assume it's in the last area, but I have no idea what it could be or why it isn't spawning.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yes, once you beat the game, it opens up the Pact of Punishment. This is a big list of custom difficulty modifiers that you can pick from. Everything you choose on the list gives you Heat points. Every time you raise the heat on your run by one point, it gives you the big boss drops again. This is done for each weapon in the game. So by going through and doing runs that are just a little harder every time, you'll continue to accumulate blood. Also, make sure you get to work on the Fated List of Minor Prophecies in your room when you get the opportunity. They're basically there to incentivize trying new things. Some of them will give big payouts of titan's blood and other boss drops too. Right now, I've got somewhere around 78 titan's blood from doing runs with increasing Heat and clearing some of the larger prophesies. To be clear, my total is that high because I've held off on unlocking a lot of the weapon aspects. I don't want to dump all my blood before knowing what the last weapon and other aspects are going to be.

As for your concern that you're not going to be able to clear the game on progressive difficulties... Don't stress about it. You'll be surprised at how far you'll come. I am really not very good at games. It took a bunch of tries for me to get a full clear including the final boss, but now I rarely wash out and I've been able to do runs up to about 9 Heat so far. When you get the mirror maxed out and get your head wrapped around the build strategies, you'll get clears a lot more consistently than you'd imagine. This is not a Souls game. Supergiant wants people to beat their games. The baseline difficulty is designed to where most players will be able to get a clear after awhile and the difficulty increases in the ways that you want it to from there.

I'm up to the +% on rares and you indeed get way more powerful since you just have more stuff to work with once your mirror starts to fill up.

I expect runs to get way more consistent the fated authority tier and start getting a few guaranteed rerolls under my belt.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Any idea what the missing monster from this list is? (Spoilered just in case, but it's not really a big spoiler). I've done 50+ runs by now and whatever it is just has never popped up. From where it is in the list I assume it's in the last area, but I have no idea what it could be or why it isn't spawning.

I'm gonna guess based on its location, a boss version of the snakehead or the bombpot.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, it's the Dire Snakestone. It's one of the Styx mid-bosses.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
after banging my head against the final boss for like five consecutive runs, i got my first win on run 14 and then another at 1 heat the run after

the first one was with the hera bow, which was kind of cheating, but the next one with the poseidon blade killed everything even faster. one particular combo was poseidon's special-attack modifier + water blast on wall bounce + the legendary boon that knocks back enemies twice for each hit. i was clearing satyr chambers in five seconds apiece

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Poseidon is so good at clearing regular trash I feel like the biggest mistake you can make with him is going too heavy on him and being unprepared for bosses. If you've got his dash or his Special boon you're basically set and can focus everything else on anti-boss stuff.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Knockback damage for trash mobs, Zeus duo for single target dps

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
God drat Hera Bow was insane. I don't know if Festive Bog was particularly good but I had 5 Casts (+2 from chaos) and Festive Bog with Hera just absolutely annihlated everything in my way. Special on the Bow seems to really suck rear end, I didn't really use it. Just utterly slayed the whole game.

I've cleared NG and NG+ with all weapons except the Spear. What Aspect should I be unlocking for the Spear?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

... I've cleared NG and NG+ with all weapons except the Spear. What Aspect should I be unlocking for the Spear?

I like Achilles. The post-rush damage bonus is nice, but you can also retrieve the same way as the original aspect by pressing the attack button instead of special. This is super good design because one of the best parts of the spear for me is utility against shield carriers. Plus, I favor Artemis for the spear's special because I want crits on return.

I haven't messed with Hades aspect much, but it seems good too. I just don't use the charge-spin enough to be worth it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Having to stand still to charge up the spin/sweep puts me off of ever using it, so I don't like the Hades spear much. Possibly it's better against bosses where you can make full use of the damage bonus (it seems to last quite a while).

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Seriously, spec around the special. It can be very good. I like the hammer upgrade for exploding spear a lot too, even though it takes away the backstab capability.

EDIT - Oops, didn't see you said Hades aspect specifically. I'll leave my comment as general advice for anyone who isn't feeling the spear.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 22, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

Knockback damage for trash mobs, Zeus duo for single target dps

Rupture is really good for taking advantage of the darkness mirror ability that deals extra damage if 2 or more status effects are in an enemy. It lasts a good while. Having a damage tick every 0.2 seconds is pretty nice, too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's a good point, Rupture is a great way to add boss damage to a Poseidon heavy build

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
turns out that when literally everyone said Hera Bow was good, they were right

got one hit from killing the final boss :negative:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

Rupture is really good for taking advantage of the darkness mirror ability that deals extra damage if 2 or more status effects are in an enemy. It lasts a good while. Having a damage tick every 0.2 seconds is pretty nice, too.

Mzbundifund posted:

That's a good point, Rupture is a great way to add boss damage to a Poseidon heavy build

Yeah, I pretty much try to stack two curses whenever possible. Obviously jolt becomes an incredible pair with the Zeus/Poseidon duo, as that causes both to be applied for the same action. With point-blank bow specials, it gets crazy.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012

threelemmings posted:

It definitely nudges things the more boons you get. If I take variety I tend to keep seeing a range, if I keep homing on one or two it seems to give you that chance to go deeper into the tree for the combo skills. Remember you can change trinkets between biomes to force a noon. Also those two combo real good if you get blade cast into poison, full degen build. Slap doom on something and it's real easy to get the 50% damage boost for two debuffs on an enemy, which makes doom do like 300 to 400 when it hits, and your poison tock for 80 to 100 every half second. More if you get the delay skill which adds ~70%.

Yeah it's important that unlike other weapons, that is a boost to ALL damage, not just your attack. So poison, blade rift, casts, etc. It can get out of hand quickly, it's so good.

ahhh okay. See that's what I was missing. I didn't know it was all damage. THat makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so it turns out that chaos shield + the zeus boon that makes lightning strike on special attacks + LIGHTNING BOONS 4-EVER makes pretty much everything die very fast