Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like I was right about Budget Cuts 2, lol;

Budget Cuts 2 Patch Notes posted:

Can no longer run out of tacos: Who doesn't need infinite tacos in their life?

How did they not predict that players would go out of their way to eat literally every taco they see? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

AzureSkys posted:

I think that's what I'll show family who'll visit soon first as well as The Lab.

Get Face your fears, the one with the robot in the city is pretty good. Only ~3 minutes long and you don't need controllers.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My biggest problem with the new Pistol Whip map is that it seems like they forgot to account for their own game mechanics when designing the hallway sections.

Pistol whipping someone instantly heals you, so you can get through those sections by flailing your arm wildly while getting hit by every single bullet. It doesn't make for much of a challenge.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 20, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, this is an extremely minor nitpick that it's something that instantly jumped at me when I saw it.
The cover for the new song is not the same artstyle as the rest of the covers. Which is a shame because I really dig the style of all the other covers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I had a Vive on my face earlier today. Man that was rough.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had a Vive on my face earlier today. Man that was rough.

Isn't it wild going back to an OG vive or CV1? Its like stepping back to the dark caveman ages of VR.

I tried to use my rift before I got my index controllers to play some games I was missing and holy poo poo the resolution felt so bad. :(

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wolves in the Walls is great, everyone should check it out. I think it's the last thing from Oculus Studios sadly, but it's got really beautiful animations and art, and is certainly the longest animated narrative piece they (anyone?) have done for VR.

Also it's based on a Neil Gaiman book.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EbolaIvory posted:

Isn't it wild going back to an OG vive or CV1? Its like stepping back to the dark caveman ages of VR.
I feel for my nephew. Whenever he gets over to try games he can't afford yet, he gets to witness the Index at 120hz with 150% SS, then goes home to his Vive, which is driven by an 1050(Ti?) (IIRC) and whatever SS that'll do.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

treat posted:

... You'll want some VR experience before playing Boneworks, and Jet Island can be a little rough because you're sliding/flying around super fast on a hover board and swinging from things with grappling hooks but I'd absolutely recommend both of them if they're your sort of thing.

Be SUPER careful with Jet Island. For some people it's just about the worst possible thing for motion sickness. I enjoy it a bit but it can be rough and I have an iron VR stomack. Some people just absolutely lvoe it.

I'd highly suggest H3VR, Take and Hold is my favorite thing in VR. Also if you want Viveport is a pretty good place to get a bunch of stuff. Right now they are running a sale throwing in 3 good games if you sign up for a year.

It's not perfect as a service.

OFC I'd suggest Beat Saber or Moonrider.xyz, and also Sound Boxing. Payday 2 can be a bunch of fun and you probably already have it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

i must compose posted:

My wife has gotten me and index for Christmas. What should my first game be? For me and her? I have dirt rally, project cars and thumper. is h3vr a good purchase?

Yes H3VR is an amazing purchase. It's never been on sale, and I don't know if it ever will be. Take and Hold is the best thing in VR IMO. It's a steal at $20.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Turin Turambar posted:

Pistol Whip new level has a very weak song, meh. The opposite of Black Magic.
In fact I feel this is one of the problems of the game, they have 3 good songs, and the rest are notably inferior.

The new level is quite bad on Normal. It is quite good on Hard.

SimonChris posted:

My biggest problem with the new Pistol Whip map is that it seems like they forgot to account for their own game mechanics when designing the hallway sections.

Pistol whipping someone instantly heals you, so you can get through those sections by flailing your arm wildly while getting hit by every single bullet. It doesn't make for much of a challenge.

I think this is intentional. On Normal, the hallway guys don't shoot back, so you just bash them or shoot really fast I guess. On Hard, they're all shooting, both the further central guy and the guys who rush from the sides before you get to the central guy, so you have to keep moving your body dodging it all and bashing the dudes. Basically you'll always get an S-Rank on Hard if you don't die, and the score past that relies on you figuring out exactly how to move to dodge all the bullets and keep up the multiplier.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The new level is quite bad on Normal. It is quite good on Hard.

I'm talking of the song itself. Unless the song changes on Hard, my statement maintains.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is there a way to vary the Steam Super Sampling rate per game? Some games require a lot more from the graphics card than others.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, it’s in the steamvr settings, you go from global resolution to per-app resolution.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Stick100 posted:

Be SUPER careful with Jet Island. For some people it's just about the worst possible thing for motion sickness. I enjoy it a bit but it can be rough and I have an iron VR stomack. Some people just absolutely lvoe it.

I wouldn't say I have an iron VR stomach and I was able to play through all of Jet Island without any sickness. Maybe it helped that I was being lazy and sitting down
That game was fantastic

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there a way to vary the Steam Super Sampling rate per game? Some games require a lot more from the graphics card than others.

What Jim said, but the default SteamVR settings leave a lot to be desired.

There's a very simple way to set both universal SS and per application SS from a single page with FPS VR, which costs $4 ($3.20 on sale right now) and I'd recommend it to anyone since it allows you to closely monitor not just FPS but GPU/CPU usage, temp, reprojection rate, and plenty more with a customizable window attached to your hands or view. It's a must-have if you're a benchmarking stat nerd like I am or even if you just want to make sure every game is meeting its refresh rate/resolution potential. OpenVR Advanced Settings is pretty much FPS VR but without the stat monitoring and it's free.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
No need to take down/move/turn off your Christmas trees this year if you have a Quest or Rift S

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/optimizing-oculus-insight-controller-tracking-to-work-in-challenging-conditions-like-near-holiday-lights/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The built in SteamVR frame profiling is more useful than FPS VR imo, since it shows you exactly where your frametime is going

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

This implies you could probably wear some weird ugly gloves for optimal tracking

Yeah I have an etsy design in the works with a giant QR code on the back of each hand, planning on naming it the Power Glove :boom:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Enos Cabell posted:

Has there been any definitive word on if Mechwarrior 5 is getting VR support at some point? $10 coupon at Epic store is tempting me to buy it.

the definitive word is don't give :pgi: money for anything sight unseen but no after walking it all back and russ mushnouthing about maybe maybe if if about vr after launch there has been no further information

e: actually yesterdays ngng shiillcast with russ mentions vr is getting 'heavy thought' after christmas but i still say never give pgi money for things they haven't actually done

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 21, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SairentoVR is on sale for the Quest.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Thoatse posted:

the definitive word is don't give :pgi: money for anything sight unseen

I'm not buying games from anyone based on promises of future VR support. Last time I did that was Fallout 4, and then they released the VR as a completely separate product. :argh:

And then I bought it AGAIN and it was a broken piece of poo poo. :bang:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The way Oculus software tried to loving override your admin privileges so you can't do anything about their folders is loving disgusting.

I wonder if that one goon's friend was responsible for this dumb decision as well. In which case they should also feel about about it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Stick100 posted:

Yes H3VR is an amazing purchase. It's never been on sale, and I don't know if it ever will be. Take and Hold is the best thing in VR IMO. It's a steal at $20.

H3VR can be considered perpetually on sale because $20 is a loving steal for the amount of content in that game

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Songbearer posted:

H3VR can be considered perpetually on sale because $20 is a loving steal for the amount of content in that game

Dropping in to emphasise this. I have about 60 hours in H3VR. It has massive replayability and solid VR controls/mechanics. Honestly it feels like that game alone has justified my HTC Vive purchase.
A lot of other VR games just feel like gimmicks where as I couldn't imagine playing H3VR in a traditional pancake setup.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So, I realize this might be more of a SAMart ask but:

A few old friends dropped by and I let them try some VR. Removing the headset one of them dropped it on the hardwood floor and now the right eye LCD isn't working. :smith:

I was of course not an rear end in a top hat about it because she thought I had it and it was her first time doing it, but I'm still hella disappointed. Anyway, I figure a lot of you are hobbyists who have stuff laying around you upgraded from: Anyone have a working CV1 headset you'd be interested in selling? (just need the headset, my touch controllers and sensors are fine.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright my modmic came in. I got the wireless one as the Quest doesn't have mic in aux ports, just stereo out.

You can't attach the magnet to the felt cover :shepface: Thats alright, I can disconnect my headphones from the wire and just put that over my head and attach the mic to that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Leal posted:

Alright my modmic came in. I got the wireless one as the Quest doesn't have mic in aux ports, just stereo out.

You can't attach the magnet to the felt cover :shepface: Thats alright, I can disconnect my headphones from the wire and just put that over my head and attach the mic to that.

I put the little sticky thing on the rubber part of the headstrap, just past the part that has the velcro

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright this isn't good at all. I got my USB connectors today, plugged everything up to my pc to get ready. But my Quest wont work, when it loads up its just blackness. I can see my controllers and I can see the guardian boundries, but thats it. I've restarted several times, I unplugged the quest from my pc, its become unusable. How do I fix this?

E: Before this happened I set it up and launched the link, where it said my controllers weren't paired and seem to have froze, then I reset and now I'm getting this.

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 21, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright did a full factory reset and... it still doesn't work. Trying to connect to link gives me a black screen most of the time. If I'm lucky I'll get to very briefly see parts of a room before it freezes. Well this sucks. Guess its more vrdesktop

To keep myself from triple posting:

Taking out the USB extender and now it works. This sucks though cause I was only able to find a 6 foot anker USB C to USB A cable. I can move my tower but even then 6 feet wont let me walk to the other side of my play area. And 6 feet wont allow for any slack on the floor, I'm 5'6". only 6 inches of that cable isn't going up my body. A single turn is gonna snap that cable.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 21, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
My experience with it seems to be that it's sensitive to which USB port you use and the total length of the cable. I am using a 1 foot A to C USB3 cable along with a 16ft extension cable, and it doesn't work if I swap out to a longer 10ft cable. So you probably want it to be as short as possible while being as long as you need it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Leal posted:

Taking out the USB extender and now it works. This sucks though cause I was only able to find a 6 foot anker USB C to USB A cable. I can move my tower but even then 6 feet wont let me walk to the other side of my play area. And 6 feet wont allow for any slack on the floor, I'm 5'6". only 6 inches of that cable isn't going up my body. A single turn is gonna snap that cable.

get an extension cord from home depot, strap your tower to your back, done

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What seems to be happening when using the extender is that its constantly connecting and reconnecting. If I don't try to use the link immediately I will constantly get alternating messages of "allow device access" and "connect to link". If I allow device it'll just show up again a few seconds later. The extender is rated for 5 gigs, same as the usb c to usb a. In spite of this, on the oculus program it consistently shows the headset as connected. I've tried both of the USB 3 on the back of my motherboard and its the same. Weirdly enough I got a 3.1 usb port but that flat out doesn't work at all.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Anyone with a rift S had their tracking go to poo poo since the most recent firmware/software update?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

What up, ModMic Wireless buddy! :hfive:

If you have a PS4, it's compatible with that too. You'll need a USB cable to connect it though, as it's slightly too fat to fit right into the ports on the front. It's surprisingly not compatible with the XBOne though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really hope HL Alyx being free / the preorder bonuses continue if the Index is still out of stock by March because I'm going to be really mad if I miss those because I wasn't allowed to buy one due to them being in such high demand.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Being conservative and pretty much standing in place since I can't use my extender, playing through link is a lot more stable then vr desktop. If only my extender worked :smith:

Tried out VR chat with my new mic and it looks like people are going around and able to do crashes on demand? Rooms went from 300+ to single digits randomly.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What up, ModMic Wireless buddy! :hfive:

If you have a PS4, it's compatible with that too. You'll need a USB cable to connect it though, as it's slightly too fat to fit right into the ports on the front. It's surprisingly not compatible with the XBOne though.

I'm actually gonna replace my blue yeti all together with this. I sound basically the same, but don't have to worry about bumping my desk.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Update to the friend who dropped the headset: They gifted me a $250 Best Buy card, which is more than generous given accident's happen. Looks like I'm getting a Rift S after they get their post XMas restock.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Anyone with a Vive Wireless adapter? I need some advice.

I had mine RMA'd because it wouldn't turn on, but after getting it back, it still doesn't turn on. The battery is fine - this time I've tested 3 different cables USB A-A that I know work and I've tested the battery as well. I'm at a loss. Sending it back to HTC is going to cost like 40 bucks again, and I don't have a guarantee it'll work

googling the problem led me nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

Being conservative and pretty much standing in place since I can't use my extender, playing through link is a lot more stable then vr desktop. If only my extender worked :smith:

Tried out VR chat with my new mic and it looks like people are going around and able to do crashes on demand? Rooms went from 300+ to single digits randomly.

I'm actually gonna replace my blue yeti all together with this. I sound basically the same, but don't have to worry about bumping my desk.

If you use the safety settings I listed earlier in the thread, you're functionally safe from most types of crasher in VRChat.

The best part of the ModMic is you're free to get any headphone you want in the future, you can just slap those onto the side of it and never take the onboard mic into consideration ever again. I stuck a spare mount on a cheap $30AUD Turtle Beach chat headset so I can use it with my PS4 and it feels very silly to do so :allears:. The only bad thing PS4-wise is it doesn't work with PSVR. The loving HMD hard-codes to the onboard mic while it's active :argh:.