Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Beat cancer at age 30. Now living my entire life worrying that every new illness more severe than the flu is the cancer coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

im 15 minutes into gone girl and absolutely hate it.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Picked up a present as a spur of the moment thing for a close friend who seemed incredibly happy to get it and said it made his whole week, which in turn made my week too :3:
adorable :)

Bard Maddox posted:

Cats is tremendously bad. the fact that their hands are just, like, regular human hands with no fur on them is hosed up. some of them were wearing shoes? when they are drinking milk from the bowl it's inherently visually disgusting to me. Idris Elba and his whole deal was easily the worst part. I fell asleep for a couple minutes and I was grateful that those were fewer minutes watching Cats. I have nothing but bad things to say about it. would recommend
this post has, and I promise I am not joking, made me buy a ticket to Cats. Star Wars Saturday, Cats Sunday. Pray for me. Play weird French songs at my funeral.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I saw the star war. It was a big old mess but I didn't hate it, because I'm an idiot and/or an rear end in a top hat

edit: I will not be watching Cats because my mind is not strong enough

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 21, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

After seeing people discuss Enzo's poo poo tier rapping in the social media thread, I want to encourage everyone with Netflix to watch Rhythm And Flow. There are a couple of rappers competing on that who are world-changing. Particularly Flawless Real Talk, D Smoke, and Old Man Saxon.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

im 15 minutes into gone girl and absolutely hate it.

it got better.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i haven’t seen that movie but the book was good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, Rise of Skywalker definitely seemed to be going out of its way to take jabs at Last Jedi and it was kinda sad, especially as noted in regards to Rose.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, Rise of Skywalker definitely seemed to be going out of its way to take jabs at Last Jedi and it was kinda sad, especially as noted in regards to Rose.
That really sucked and couldn't have been more obvious.

It also felt like they wanted so hard to forget about The Last Jedi that they tried to shove two new films into two and a half hours.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they should keep alternating between rian and jj and really plumb the depths of pettiness

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
im watching the witcher series and its making me want to play the game again :sigh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm thinking of playing Knights of the Old Republic again.

Speaking of petty Star Wars poo poo, Drew Karpyshyn somehow managed to retroactively ruin both KotOR 1 and 2 with The Old Republic and one of the tie-in novels in particular. That's right, he didn't only ruin the characters and story Obsidian created for the sequel, but also those he himself came up with for the first game! That's some dedication.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seams posted:

im watching the witcher series and its making me want to play the game again :sigh:

but playing the game is a GOOD thing??

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
yeah but I’ve got poo poo to do!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

they should keep alternating between rian and jj and really plumb the depths of pettiness

By Episode 11, Rose does nothing but walk headfirst into a wall and piss herself. By Episode 12, she's surpassed everybody else to become the main character and she's a Force God that's strong enough to destroy the new planet killing superweapon The Galaxy Fucker 7000 with her amazing rose-colored lightsaber.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

yea ok posted:

it got better.

Watched it on a plane earlier this year and felt the same way. Went into it not knowing anything about it apart from it supposedly being great and Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross doing its (v. good) soundtrack and ended up loving it. The slow buildup to the thing and the second half of the movie are legit brilliantly done

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 21, 2019

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i ended up not loving it but it was good. the middle part when everything is finally getting pieced together had me pretty good. the climax of the NPH stuff was awesome lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i keep trying to say the star's name in my head but the thought is always "ben simmons" and i know that is not the right person. I want to tell you that you love ben simmonms and want to kiss him but i just end up owning myself by saying it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MJeff posted:

By Episode 11, Rose does nothing but walk headfirst into a wall and piss herself. By Episode 12, she's surpassed everybody else to become the main character and she's a Force God that's strong enough to destroy the new planet killing superweapon The Galaxy Fucker 7000 with her amazing rose-colored lightsaber.
book it coward bob

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

show review. yen is very cute. geralt is very cute

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll probably hold off on Witcher until after the holidays, there's just no time to watch (or play) anything right now, I'm surprised it came out at this time.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's more time in my opinion. time off and no one else to think about. that's how everybody's life is

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
Ive seen a couple people reflecting om the last decade in this thread and i gotta say alot of it was bad for me but its ending on a high note, i had some horrible things that i wont say happen early in the decade that caused me to seek mental health counseling, i was diagnosed with PTSD, agoraphobia, severe depression and severe social anxiety among other things and was told i will likely never work again i had to move back in with my parents and over the last 8 years i have learned to live with that and have gotten to the point that i have been out as transgender for 2 years and I'm now married, the mental health things are still a huge barrier that i have to deal with by my life feels a bit more normal now and i am content in spite of those issues

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I thought RoS started really slow with some super dumb retcons but the ending is really quite good.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Overall I'm satisfied with the plot resolutions of Rise of Skywalker despite being the movie itself being a complete mess that felt like I was watching 5 hours worth of 2 movies running at 2x speed. I thought the retcons were mostly fine. Killing off Snoke left a villain vacuum right before the big finale, and while Rey's parents being no one and what that says about dynasties vs anyone capable of being a hero is a cool thing to explore, it just didn't fit into a 9 movie narrative called the Skywalker Saga IMO. That's absolutely a theme that should be picked up in some new trilogy that doesn't have all of the Skywalker baggage associated with it. Rian Johnson seemed like he wanted to make a non Skywalker Star Wars movie, which is fine and cool, but you were making the 8th movie of the Skywalker Saga.

Bringing back the Emperor and then destroying the Sith isn't a premise that was ever going to set the world on fire, but hey, at least it wraps up that storyline and we can move onto new stuff. (Narrator: Disney did not in fact "move onto new stuff".)

JUNGLE BOY fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 21, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

You might wanna spoiler tag the plot stuff there chief. The movie has only been out for one day.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've been speed scrolling this thread for the past day because I can't go see it till tomorrow lol.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i watched new thread favorite film Southern Comfort last night and it was indeed sick as gently caress and probably much better than star wars

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

My girlfriend has never watched a Star Wars movie, ever. Which is sort-of amazing to me because, like, how? That poo poo is everywhere!

I haven't seen any of the more recent movies, after watching the prequel trilogy, I came to the conclusion that my interest in Star Wars is basically "space and aliens and lasers and poo poo are cool!" and that the sum total of characters I actually liked was:
-Han Solo
-Darth Vader

And then the prequels did a good job of making Darth Vader retroactively suck rear end so now I just like Han Solo. And they made a Han Solo movie but I hear it was very bad? So no more Star Wars. There are other options for cool space poo poo.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
spaceballs is a better star wars movies than the prequel and the disney sequel

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Star Wars erased Mara Jade and I will never forgive them for it.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

coconono posted:

Star Wars erased the exile and I will never forgive them for it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not seeing Star Wars becuase I don't hate myself so instead I'm seeing Cats

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I'm not seeing Star Wars becuase I don't hate myself so instead I'm seeing Cats

Does not compute

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

They're both bad but this is the fun, awesome kind of bad

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
So I watched the first three episodes of the Witcher with my girlfriend's friends. Within 10 minutes they decided to start making fun of it and quoting Monty Python constantly. It was horrible.

I've known this for awhile but if I'm excited about something I really shouldn't watch things with people that aren't interested in engaging with it at all. Same thing happened with that group when we watched Midsommer together. I don't hate my girls friends but holy poo poo they can be intolerable.

I am chill about it at until the car ride back.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
in your girlfriend and her friends’ defense i watched a half hour of the first episode and thought it sucked rear end too so at least they were enjoying themselves

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I do get it it's the worst episode. But they immediately disengage with things. They had fun so like I said I wasn't a dick about it.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 21, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

thanks for reminding me the Witcher is out. I gotta see this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Second episode is a lot better than the first, apart from the minstrel. And overall Henry Cavill is perfect in the role. But he's at best the third most interesting character.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 21, 2019