Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Some people would like to be creative while also remaining seamless with existing lore.

That said, there's precedent for mechanicus adjacent chapters. They're not necessarily mechanicus-aligned like a knight house or titan legion, but there is overlap.

An alternate avenue you might consider is marines seconded to the AdMech during their decades-long Techmarine training. You'd paint them up in Techmarine red (except for their parent-chapters shoulder icons,) and then field them as whatever chapter rules you like.

They'd basically be red Deathwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't shared a new figure i've done in quite a while. My skill at this sucks and I don't want to waste peoples time. This could probably use some touch ups, but otherwise I am pretty happy with it, so I felt comfortable enough sharing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

moths posted:

An alternate avenue you might consider is marines seconded to the AdMech during their decades-long Techmarine training. You'd paint them up in Techmarine red (except for their parent-chapters shoulder icons,) and then field them as whatever chapter rules you like.

I have no idea why but I really love this concept.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

Some people would like to be creative while also remaining seamless with existing lore.

That said, there's precedent for mechanicus adjacent chapters. They're not necessarily mechanicus-aligned like a knight house or titan legion, but there is overlap.

At what stage in a space marines career are they sent to train to be a tech marine? If its like straight away it's not too logical, but if its only after serving in Tactical squads and the like then it makes perfect sense that if a forge world was attacked the space marines would go kick the poo poo out of people using their tried and tested tactics.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Boing posted:

Please help me with my stupid idea. I want to to supplement my Adeptus Mechanicus army with some Vanguard Space Marines. Not even fielding them in the same list necessarily, but tying them together in the lore and using similar colour/basing schemes.

In fiction this is going to be something like the Steel Confessors who were a chapter created by the Mechanicus in secret to be utterly loyal to them. Except these guys would be created in secret by my own Forge World which is basically a Stygies VIII successor. I love the look of Phobos marines so I want to lean into those, and while Iron Hands would make perfect sense, it feels a bit too easy and a little cheesy, so I'd rather play them as a Raven Guard successor to go with their sneaky and heretical Mechanicus overlords, to fill the role of an elite surgical strike unit when Sicarians and Imperial Assassins won't cut it.

I know Raven Guard are good at using Phobos Armour and Camo Cloaks, and as a successor I can take Stealthy and Master Artisans which would also fit well (and those are the Good Options?). I'm gonna paint them red/grey with copper trim and put little Mechanicus cog transfers on their shoulderpads as their chapter symbol.

First, is this some horrible crime against 40k Lore?

Second, what's a reasonable start for a mostly-Phobos Raven Guard list? I'm looking at the Start Collecting Vanguard Marines box, which has 10x Infiltrators, 3x Eliminators, 3x Suppressors and a Phobos Lieutenant. Eliminators and the Lieutenant are great, but 10x Infiltrators seems like a lot for an expensive troop unit, and I'll probably just sell the Suppressors because I think they look stupid. Where to go from there? Probably an Invictor Warsuit and some Intercessors or Aggressors, right? Or just more Eliminators?

Third, I also have this stupid idea to use the Phobos Librarian as a dumb budget smash captain. I love the feel of smash captains but I don't like thunder hammers or small marines, the Phobos Librarian doesn't have a jet pack but he can start deployed in a forward position (which is kinda like having mobility), cast Spectral Blade and Umbral Form on himself to hit hard and survive, and he gets the +1 to hit/wound characters from doctrine. I know it's nowhere near optimal but Space Marines seem good in general, so would it at least be playable?

Fourth, can anyone help me think of a name for this dumb chapter. My first instinct was to go with something like "Ironsworn", but it would also be very Mechanicus to give them some technical name like "Recon Maniple Zeta-7", although that doesn't sound as catchy.

This sounds rad and you should do it. There was a goon who did at least a couple squads with a similar theme, I think he called them the Doom Cogs? It that was you please repost some pics, because they looked great.

On point two, you can run the Infiltrators in the SC box as two squads of five if you want. You may just have to do some minor converting to make a second sergeant-looking guy. Before you dump the Suppressors, search around as people have done a lot of conversions and photoshops, one of which may appeal to you. I for one converted mine to have assault marine junp packs and based them normally rather than using the flight stands, both of which change the model silhouette markedly. Apparently Eliminators and Invictor suits are good, I have no idea. Intercessors and Aggressors aren't phobos though. You may want to look at the Infiltrator/Incursor MPP box to get a third troop choice for a battalion.

I can't speak to the point three.

I think an admech-style chapter name could really sell the whole concept. I might avoid "maniple" though since that really feels like a skitarii term. Maybe "Element?" Reconissance Element Zeta-7 sounds sufficiently distinct from the current Skitarii designations and is pretty unique.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Smdh there's nothing but fuckin' nerds in this thread and nobody has suggested "the Brotherhood of Steel" yet.

Slackin.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Iron Hands call their squads Claves if that helps :shrug:

Kitchner posted:

At what stage in a space marines career are they sent to train to be a tech marine? If its like straight away it's not too logical, but if its only after serving in Tactical squads and the like then it makes perfect sense that if a forge world was attacked the space marines would go kick the poo poo out of people using their tried and tested tactics.

In The Voice of Mars there's some (book) chapters that take place during techmarine training and it seems to be mostly pretty experienced marines, sergeants and the like. Kardan Stronos gets the training as part of joining the Iron Council

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 20, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Iron Hands call their squads Claves if that helps :shrug:

In The Voice of Mars there's some (book) chapters that take place during techmarine training and it seems to be mostly pretty experienced marines, sergeants and the like. Kardan Stronos gets the training as part of joining the Iron Council

Yeah see if it's all experienced marines then it would totally make sense if the forge world was suddenly attacked and in danger that they all suit up and just kick rear end.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

moths posted:

40k lore isn't nearly as crystalized as say, the Star Wars Legends EU (And hell even that contradicted itself). I think the current mindset that theres one objective "lore" one has to follow is horribly incompatible with 40k's absolutely insane sandbox approach and the sooner we learn to rip ourselves of that mindset the better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Lore" in 40k is basically a precedent / known conflict check. If you want to do a new loyalist chapter based on Cadia formed from Necron DNA mixed with Emperor's Children stock after Fulgrim knocked up a homebrew C'tan (the Humper) on a Tesseract Tinder date and everyone drives Leman Russ tanks with oversized anime heads poking out?

I mean ok yeah they're your models do what you like. That sounds potentially fun!

But don't try to shame someone for asking how compatible it is with existing fiction.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
For what it's worth I think Boing's idea is perfectly cromulent with regards to lore

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
The only lore and canon that counts is what happens on the table. Make your mechmarines and love them like they deserve.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I know that lore-wise I can do pretty much whatever the gently caress, but I like playing in narrative campaigns with other people who have their own lore and I want to try and not blatantly contradict any established principles of the setting if possible.

moths posted:

I like this idea a lot too!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Boing posted:

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I know that lore-wise I can do pretty much whatever the gently caress, but I like playing in narrative campaigns with other people who have their own lore and I want to try and not blatantly contradict any established principles of the setting if possible.

Its also an excuse to give everyone techmarine servo powerpacks!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

We wrote some words about Orks today. Hope this helps some of our greenskin friends. https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-orks-tactics/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Corrode posted:

We wrote some words about Orks today. Hope this helps some of our greenskin friends. https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-orks-tactics/

Orktober is ever-green in our hearts of fungus-hearts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got deploymentzone.tv due to having some time off and stuff. My card expired and I didn't want to keep dztv so I just left it and now I've got an "overdue" email, but the page has no way to cancel the service.

Just gently caress off and leave me alone basically.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

moths posted:

That's flat out great. I hope GW steals it.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Some more Intercessors, I actually already started working on one of my old armies while this guys dried.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

R0ckfish posted:

Some more Intercessors, I actually already started working on one of my old armies while this guys dried.

I’m the whatever (eyebrows/forehead ridge/ steroid vein) on the dudes head in the lower left.

Those look real good my friend great job.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’m the whatever (eyebrows/forehead ridge/ steroid vein) on the dudes head in the lower left.

Those look real good my friend great job.

They are like weird scars or something, thanks!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
What did you use for their flesh and highlights?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Maneck posted:

What did you use for their flesh and highlights?

Stormvermin fur washed nuln, then highlighted stormvermin - baneblade - karak - flayed one.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Anyone have experience with Perry Miniatures kits? How compatible are they with Guard arms?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Boing posted:

There’s also established stuff like the Mentors Legion. They key point here being that in older editions they had access to wacky experimental stuff and were used as a testbed for new technology, following very unique doctrines and deployments. A Primaris successor to them could easily be explained as having tight ties to the AdMech and be operating off of and recruiting from Forgeworlds.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mentors

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My Primaris are Night Lords with Raven Guard written on the gene seed tin you can do whatever you like imo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I like the image of Cawl rooting around in a room filled with stacks of old coffee tins, trying to figure out which one belongs to which legion.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finally finished and based my Evil Sunz weirdboy.

Had some fun building the staff, though it ended up much more fragile than I would have liked, even with pinning and greenstuff. Next time, I might go for a longer bit of wire in the pinning, or even try plastic glue.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013
Here's a commander for my Inquisitorial household troopers (counts-as Guard company commander):

Zihuatanejo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 21, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I got deploymentzone.tv due to having some time off and stuff. My card expired and I didn't want to keep dztv so I just left it and now I've got an "overdue" email, but the page has no way to cancel the service.

Just gently caress off and leave me alone basically.

I had the same problem. Email them and ask them to cancel it manually. Terrible site design IMO.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Help a brother out. Trying to figure out which basing scheme to go with. I ready the goon hammer basing article but I’m not sure where to go with the colour theory stuff.

Sisters are apothecary white as suggested earlier in the thread with red accents. Should I stay cold on the bases with the blue or go black or red (orange, brown, yellow?). Cold grey? Bases are rolled out with green stuff so I’ve got plenty to practice on, and I’d love to start with a contrast base coat, but willing to actually do some work with normal if it looks good.

That’s black Templar, blood angels red and aether blue contrast.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I like the blue one best, it contrasts with the color-scheme and makes the red stand out.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Adrax done!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

Adrax done!

I love this whole model, but especially his cape, the detail is incredible. The torch on his jetpack is a great touch too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do Forge World orders ship only from the U.K., or does GWS have a U.S. based warehouse for those too?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I said come in! posted:

Do Forge World orders ship only from the U.K., or does GWS have a U.S. based warehouse for those too?

Looks like my Bray’arth shipped from Memphis Tennessee

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Good Citizen posted:

Looks like my Bray’arth shipped from Memphis Tennessee

That's how they justify separate, lovely prices for each country.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Why are prices lower at independent retailers for the same Games Workshop products?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Why are prices lower at independent retailers for the same Games Workshop products?

GW never discounts their product. I believe it's intentional to sustain independent retailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am probably just having an idiot moment, but the Forge World site will not let me select the United States as a delivery country? I am trying to order Secutarii Hoplites Squad.