Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

How long have you been in business? Do you expect such a "culture" can prevail long-term, or will there be pain once the company grows to the point that it has to enforce stricter practices?
I'm genuinely curious if this would be possible beyond, say, 300 engineers, because it sure sounds like the more fun way to do it.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) companies don't get to 300 engineers overnight. This means you can evolve and iterate towards processes that work and make sense for your company at the time and set yourselves up for success in the future. More pessimistically: odds are your company is never going to get to that size so don't put yourself at even more of a disadvantage by working on things prematurely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

How long have you been in business? Do you expect such a "culture" can prevail long-term, or will there be pain once the company grows to the point that it has to enforce stricter practices?
I'm genuinely curious if this would be possible beyond, say, 300 engineers, because it sure sounds like the more fun way to do it.
The company had been around more than ten years and is fairly stable for tech. We’re under 100 engineers, across twelve or so teams in a few offices.

I don’t think we’re growing the engineering headcount much in the next couple of years. I’d say we need 50% more to really deliver new stuff at the pace we want but I don’t make those decisions.

Honestly it is really nice to work this way, assuming you have people you trust. All the teams are focussed on product outcomes not any contractual stuff or box checking, and the freedom teams are given is pretty great as an engineer or product person. We struggle sometimes with consistency across teams, but that’s been accepted to some degree as the cost of having the so much autonomy in the teams.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I wouldn't call that a culture, I'd call that lax engineering practices.
Weird thread here where you're presuming size correlates to strictness. Big thing? GOTTA be strict. Small team? GOTTA be lax.

The domain of the work is a much bigger determinant of appropriate strictness than team size. Medical devices ought to be strict, fart apps can afford to be lax. Body count of dev team irrelevant.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

JawnV6 posted:

Weird thread here where you're presuming size correlates to strictness. Big thing? GOTTA be strict. Small team? GOTTA be lax.

The domain of the work is a much bigger determinant of appropriate strictness than team size. Medical devices ought to be strict, fart apps can afford to be lax. Body count of dev team irrelevant.

I agree that domain will force certain standards to be more important than others but I disagree that body count is irrelevant. As your headcount grows, along with different teams all moving at different paces, the ability to ensure standards for performance, best practices, internal libraries, intra-team mobility and hiring are more and more important.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Or to put it more succinctly, bigger organizations need stricter processes to hit a given level of quality.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ultrafilter posted:

Or to put it more succinctly, bigger organizations need stricter processes to hit a given level of quality.

This is what I was getting at. By assuming that Destroyenator's employer is managing to deliver quality software, I deduced that they couldn't possibly be a very large organization.

I suppose it's entirely possible, particularly in the world of Silicon Valley startups, to grow a business too fast under such a culture, and hit a limit where the work on fixing bugs takes too much time from getting new features to market, crashing and burning the whole business. But as was pointed out, hopefully the organization will evolve and adapt as it grows.

JawnV6 posted:

I know what you're getting at but I don't necessarily agree. Fart apps aside, if you're Microsoft, making Microsoft Word, your code is not going to control dosage in an X-ray machine, but you'd still drat well be diligent about your software architecture choices or you're eventually going to have bloated, slow and buggy software that you won't be able to charge money for.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Doh004 posted:

I agree that domain will force certain standards to be more important than others but I disagree that body count is irrelevant. As your headcount grows, along with different teams all moving at different paces, the ability to ensure standards for performance, best practices, internal libraries, intra-team mobility and hiring are more and more important.
Let's say we're making an IoT appcessory and associated web service. Web service has been around for a while, the embedded folks are new. The two "software" teams don't need to share more than a swagger doc. Y'all are just insisting that because there's 20 folks around instead of 10 that some grand aligned process will spring into place and it's just not true. They can keep separate cadence, release schedules, code review standards, etc. What "best practices" are you expecting them to share? What intra-team mobility is important?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I know what you're getting at but I don't necessarily agree. Fart apps aside, if you're Microsoft, making Microsoft Word, your code is not going to control dosage in an X-ray machine, but you'd still drat well be diligent about your software architecture choices or you're eventually going to have bloated, slow and buggy software that you won't be able to charge money for.
I mean, keep taking inadvertent swipes and calling folks "lax" without sufficient context all you want, I just don't believe it. Perhaps, and this is just a guess, perhaps there are companies between Dest's sub-100 person shop and MS's 150k trans-continental empire?

And swapping in a mission-critical business app developed over a few decades for "fart app" doesn't strike me as knowing what I'm "getting at". It seems like deliberately yanking the goalposts as far as the umbrella term "app" will allow. But sure, let's start from your disingenuous BS example: Within Microsoft, do you think the "best practices code review" standards are exactly the same between the Word core team and some xbox live legacy webapp? Or do the disparate audiences of "a huge portion of b2b customers critical to revenue" and "one rando kid per day checking gamerscore" allow for some differentiation of their relative strictness and process?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

JawnV6 posted:

Let's say we're making an IoT appcessory and associated web service. Web service has been around for a while, the embedded folks are new. The two "software" teams don't need to share more than a swagger doc. Y'all are just insisting that because there's 20 folks around instead of 10 that some grand aligned process will spring into place and it's just not true. They can keep separate cadence, release schedules, code review standards, etc. What "best practices" are you expecting them to share? What intra-team mobility is important?

No, no, I said 300 engineers, not 30.

JawnV6 posted:

But sure, let's start from your disingenuous BS example:

Oh sure, if you start insulting me surely I'll be inclined to let you convince me about whatever it is we're trying to prove. My example may be terrible but that's no need to take that tone. All I was saying was, my experience is that it's very hard to make anything of quality in a large organization unless there is some (at least semi-) structured way of ensuring product quality.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I've only been working as a dev for 5 years and i have my dream job at a custom software shop, but I'm getting a bit burned out on day to da6 coding. Any advice on a career change or direction for someone like me? Just thinking about it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Nothing wrong with plumbing

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I'm pretty much stuck as a code monkey (even as a tech lead or team lead) unless i want to go into management, right? I really don't want to do that. But I want to make more money and do something different-ish.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Look into TAM or SA roles at AWS. Bunch of folks here can speak about it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Getting into a different stack might help, too.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Or plumbing, you can make similar money.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Could you do consulting

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Get a job at a place that pays well and allows IC advancement.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

asur posted:

Get a job at a place that pays well and allows IC advancement.

Or just a place that pays well.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Oh sure, if you start insulting me surely I'll be inclined to let you convince me about whatever it is we're trying to prove.
There's no personal insult, although given that you quoted and responded to text for someone else I don't hold your posting in the highest regard. That was a dry description of the bad faith you're employing to whiz right past the point, but I'm sure if you double down and act like you're the aggrieved one here it'll work out!

Forget 10 vs. 300 for a sec though. WeWork had 8,000 SWE's. Do you think they had a rigid and strict process, or did their audience and domain somehow affect it more than organizational size?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

WeWork had 8,000 SWE's.
Wait, I thought WeWork was a real estate company? What do they need that many SWE's for?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

someone has to make the upskirt tracking ai

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Keetron posted:

Wait, I thought WeWork was a real estate company? What do they need that many SWE's for?

they bought a lot of other companies that made software products (meetup, etc.)

also they were/are a dumpster fire

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Keetron posted:

Off-topic, but this is my biggest problem with WeWork's business model: they got a shitton of investment to rapidly expand, but they didn't actually purchase any real estate, just leased office space. Meant that their entire model was in razor thin margins for subleasing office space rather than buying/building and being tenant + landlord.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

JawnV6 posted:

There's no personal insult, although given that you quoted and responded to text for someone else I don't hold your posting in the highest regard. That was a dry description of the bad faith you're employing to whiz right past the point, but I'm sure if you double down and act like you're the aggrieved one here it'll work out!

Forget 10 vs. 300 for a sec though. WeWork had 8,000 SWE's. Do you think they had a rigid and strict process, or did their audience and domain somehow affect it more than organizational size?

You appear to be attempting to use WeWork as an example of a company that doesn't need strict process despite their size because of their problem domain. Such arguments work better if you don't pick a company known mostly for being a gigantic disaster as an example.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

kayakyakr posted:

Off-topic, but this is my biggest problem with WeWork's business model: they got a shitton of investment to rapidly expand, but they didn't actually purchase any real estate, just leased office space. Meant that their entire model was in razor thin margins for subleasing office space rather than buying/building and being tenant + landlord.
Leased it from their CEO*

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yup. Which means that their business model, to make thr CEO lots of money before failing, worked perfectly :v:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Vulture Culture posted:

Leased it from their CEO*

Ah jeeze, I didn't realize that was part of it.

Clever pyramid scheme right there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The CEO also registered the trademark for ‘We’ and then licensed it back to the company.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
And, IIRC, got caught doing that and gave back the money the company spent licensing its name from him (no admission of impropriety)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The news tells me the company might go bankrupt in the next few weeks. I wonder how much of his 1B net worth will remain and subsequently spend on legal defense fees.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

The Fool posted:

The CEO also registered the trademark for ‘We’ and then licensed it back to the company.

This was my favourite tidbit from the whole thing. It's just so blatant and shameless.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

And people invested in that. Apparently I need to start a bullshit company.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's way easier to get rich by selling bullshit than by selling actual goods/services, that's for drat sure. Both require sales work but only the latter requires you have something worth buying.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

taqueso posted:

And people invested in that. Apparently I need to start a bullshit company.

Well look at Uber and Netflix, still unprofitable and still valued at billions and billions of dollars. Although I feel like that's through deliberate action/strategy rather than incompetence, but still it'll end the same way.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Maybe if the netflix creator decided they would personally own all the videos and lease them to netflix. And use netflix money to fund their creation.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
WeWork is like Theranos. It's something that just seems like it should work, like its time has come. I totally get why everyone invested.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Well look at Uber and Netflix, still unprofitable and still valued at billions and billions of dollars. Although I feel like that's through deliberate action/strategy rather than incompetence, but still it'll end the same way.

Recessionwatch 2020... although Netflix could probably cut many teams to the bone and bring profitability very quickly, at least for the short and medium term.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

lifg posted:

WeWork is like Theranos. It's something that just seems like it should work, like its time has come. I totally get why everyone invested.

To be fair I honestly think it could have worked and when I first heard about it it seemed like an excellent idea. So yeah, absent any other information I can also see why people invested. BUT the thing that stuns me is these details, like the CEO selling his own trademark to the company, weren't secret at all and that's where I'm surprised that they got any investors. You'd think they would look at that poo poo and run a thousand miles in the opposite direction rather than continuing to pour millions into the company.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I think most people are willing to give up due diligence when "everyone is in on it" which means of course someone must have double checked everything right?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

lifg posted:

When you strip away the bullshit, WeWork is something whose time came 20 years ago, and there’s already several large and modestly profitable companies in that space. WeWork’s differentiating factor was that because they were burning VC money they could provide a nicer offering without charging more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

You'd think they would look at that poo poo and run a thousand miles in the opposite direction rather than continuing to pour millions into the company.

The guy who writes the funny, chatty Bloomberg pieces discussed this at length. When doing private rounds, WeWork could present itself to investors basically however it liked. When it was getting ready to sell its stock as a public company, it was required to disclose different information that made it look like the house of cards it clearly was.