Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Link your license to a MS account in Update & security, Activation.

On the new PC, after installation, run the activation troubleshooter. This will transfer the activation over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lambert posted:

Link your license to a MS account in Update & security, Activation.

On the new PC, after installation, run the activation troubleshooter. This will transfer the activation over.

I will fight tooth and nail to not have to do that. If I have to, I have to, but I'm willing to go to the ends of the earth. It's the principle, drat it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Volguus posted:

Gonna buy a new set of MB+CPU+Memory for my son for christmas and I plan to reuse the existing SSDs. Gonna be very curious how much will MS give a poo poo about the activation. I will deactivate it first and then reactivate it in the "new computer", so hopefully i won't have to call MS.

If your old license is digital, changing the motherboard alone is enough for the hash to no longer be valid. You can probably just call/chat in and say you had to change the motherboard though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm ashamed at how liberal I am with buying cheap w10 pro keys

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

If your old license is digital, changing the motherboard alone is enough for the hash to no longer be valid. You can probably just call/chat in and say you had to change the motherboard though.

It worked, at least so far. So I went on some website that told me to launch some sldkfjsdlfk.vbs /upk script to deactivate it on the "old computer" and then when I booted the new one i just activated it again. So far so good. The only issue is that the old computer was a from 2010, therefore it was before the UEFI era, and the HDDs are all legacy mode. Gonna have to reinstall windows anyway, to make them UEFI and GPT, but for now, gently caress it, the games are playing, the kid is happy and it works.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

The only issue is that the old computer was a from 2010, therefore it was before the UEFI era, and the HDDs are all legacy mode. Gonna have to reinstall windows anyway, to make them UEFI and GPT, but for now, gently caress it, the games are playing, the kid is happy and it works.
You can update it in place.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mystes posted:

You can update it in place.

Oh really? Go to drive manager and tell it to make it GPT? With no data loss? Then boot UEFI mode? That sounds a bit crazy, but if you say so ...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

Oh really? Go to drive manager and tell it to make it GPT? With no data loss? Then boot UEFI mode? That sounds a bit crazy, but if you say so ...

You can't convert the disk windows lives on from inside windows. You need to use the system restore boot menu or a win10 install usb stick. Instructions.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I'm gonna get a new computer soon and I'm wondering what would be the best way to pick up where I left off from my old hard drive. Just copy the whole User directory and keep the drive around in case there's anything else I need?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Klyith posted:

You can't convert the disk windows lives on from inside windows.
This is not correct. You can use MBR2GPT.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Volguus posted:

It worked, at least so far. So I went on some website that told me to launch some sldkfjsdlfk.vbs /upk script to deactivate it on the "old computer" and then when I booted the new one i just activated it again. So far so good. The only issue is that the old computer was a from 2010, therefore it was before the UEFI era, and the HDDs are all legacy mode. Gonna have to reinstall windows anyway, to make them UEFI and GPT, but for now, gently caress it, the games are playing, the kid is happy and it works.

If it's a retail/SB key, the way it works is that you can activate Windows using it pretty much forever, just that there's a limit on how many activation can be done in a certain time period, a cooldown period. Deactivating your local copy of Windows doesn't help with that, so is not necessary/helpful.

Also, you can convert to GPT, but it's a bit of an involved process.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Lambert posted:

Also, Chrome is pretty much the fastest browser available, Firefox runs way worse on low-end machines.
As long as your low-end machine has a shitload of ram.

And also - its not actually fast?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Chrome is part of the reason I bought more RAM recently.

On my Sandy Bridge i5 2400 (3.1GHz) I just bought and installed this:

This machine will only run the RAM at 1333MT/s but it worked flawlessly otherwise. It's an Optiplex 990 Minitower that was also bought from eBay.

I had to search for

quote:

16gb ddr3 4x4gb -registered -server -ECC
to stop it from showing me all kinds of server memory that I cannot use in my desktop board.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 21, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FRINGE posted:

As long as your low-end machine has a shitload of ram.

And also - its not actually fast?

Browsers in general like RAM, Firefox is no different but performs way worse overall.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lambert posted:

Browsers in general like RAM, Firefox is no different but performs way worse overall.

Since Firefox Quantum, they've made quite a few leaps and bounds in the speed department. If you haven't tried it recently, I'd definitely recommend giving it another go.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lambert posted:

At work people pull the "I need more RAM" thing a lot. I close Chrome and suddenly the machines all work fine. A mere 16gigs is enough for Firefox, Edge, IE, Vivaldi (sometimes several running at once) but once Chrome is in use the machines go to poo poo. Its practically a spyware infestation masquerading as a browser.

The other thing that happens is more comical, theres one Apple-dedicated mac fan that opens three instances of Outlook everyday because "thats the only way that makes sense to use it, its not my fault its Microsoft's fault for not making it work like my Mac".

edit: I wish Mozilla would pull its collective head out of the collection of asses they live in and stop making GBS threads up Firefox, and then steal the one thing they havent copied from lovely-Chrome which is the dev tool layout. If they did those two things maybe they would have users again.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 21, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/

Is this more or less accurate for windows 10 as well? Is there a different way?

The machine isn't critical and has nothing that could be lost, this is just for a side project for fun

Those directions seem easy to follow I just wanna make sure it's accurate/efficient

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

You can't convert the disk windows lives on from inside windows. You need to use the system restore boot menu or a win10 install usb stick. Instructions.

These instructions worked perfectly and I was able to convert the drive to GPT. One thing they were missing was the requirement that the drive has less than 4 partitions on it already, but googling the error message provided the answer.

Statutory Ape posted:

https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/

Is this more or less accurate for windows 10 as well? Is there a different way?

The machine isn't critical and has nothing that could be lost, this is just for a side project for fun

Those directions seem easy to follow I just wanna make sure it's accurate/efficient

Setting aside the enormity of such operation (the spanish inquisition should be resurrected to deal with such heresies), if your HDDs are on MBR then that should work just fine (/fixmbr option). If you're on UEFI, then all you would need to do is go into the BIOS and select windows as your boot preference and you would be done.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm ashamed at how liberal I am with buying cheap w10 pro keys

is there any place that sells cheap Office keys that don't set off every scam alarm in my head?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

is there any place that sells cheap Office keys that don't set off every scam alarm in my head?

Most cheap W10 keys are salvaged from recycled machines, while on the other hand (non-trial) Office is not bundled on the majority of end-user machines.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

SA mart probably

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
He said he didn't want to set off every scam alarm in his head.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I got mine off of reddit in 2015 and it still works :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

any timeframe on when theyre releasing edge for linux?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Linux is always edgy

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FRINGE posted:

Linux is always edgy

Shouldn't lord over people

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there a go to bootable diagnostic utility where I can check hardware like memory and hard drive, along with maybe virus scans? Like UBCD was (not sure if it's still a go to).

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I didn't see anything more appropriate.

I use Dropbox to sync stuff across multiple PCs and from a storage drive and they hosed me by making it stop follow symlinks.

Is there any cloud storage software out there that still follows symlinks and doesn't suck too much?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Really dumb but I'm trying to get rid of or change the color of the details bar above the taskbar when in explorer and can't figure it out. The white of it is contrasting badly in my eyes against the dark theme since it's a 82" HTPC.

https://imgur.com/JOyZxJP

Any ideas?

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 27, 2019

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I didn't see anything more appropriate.

I use Dropbox to sync stuff across multiple PCs and from a storage drive and they hosed me by making it stop follow symlinks.

Is there any cloud storage software out there that still follows symlinks and doesn't suck too much?

I don't know what a symlink is, but I've found microsoft's onedrive to be pretty good for it's free service.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I gotta say, you guys were right. The SSD makes it feel like a new PC. Good call, and well worth the $35 for the upgrade.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

henpod posted:

I gotta say, you guys were right. The SSD makes it feel like a new PC. Good call, and well worth the $35 for the upgrade.

:toot:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

henpod posted:

for most average computing tasks there hasnt been a ton of break through in technology in CPU or RAM territory in~10 years, ignoring things like power consumption and mobility etc

the biggest breakthroughs have been in price/avail of flash storage and, imho, getting decent resolution/dpi monitors for Not A Lot

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tehran 1979 posted:

Really dumb but I'm trying to get rid of or change the color of the details bar above the taskbar when in explorer and can't figure it out. The white of it is contrasting badly in my eyes against the dark theme since it's a 82" HTPC.

https://imgur.com/JOyZxJP

Any ideas?

There appear to be two status bars? Try turning off the regular status bar with View -> Options -> View -> Advanced Settings -> Show status bar.

Maybe the dark theme adds a new dark status bar?

edit: lol the extra status bar is from Open Shell, why are you asking why your poo poo is all weird if you use shell hacks? :downs:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 27, 2019

Apr 7, 2003

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I don't know what a symlink is, but I've found microsoft's onedrive to be pretty good for it's free service.

I need 500+gb but it looks like they do 1tb for $6.99/mo, I’ll give it a shot and see if it follows symlinks properly. Dropbox is completely useless to me now that it doesn’t.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I need 500+gb but it looks like they do 1tb for $6.99/mo, I’ll give it a shot and see if it follows symlinks properly. Dropbox is completely useless to me now that it doesn’t.

Based on a quick search, it looks like OneDrive does not properly support symlinks on its own. I did, however, find this this app, which forces OneDrive to sync symlinked items at fixed intervals.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What's the best windows app for organizing audiobooks and podcasts? I'm using foobar right now, and it does its job, I just figure there are probably better players out there in 2019 suited for that kind of stuff.

Apr 7, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Based on a quick search, it looks like OneDrive does not properly support symlinks on its own. I did, however, find this this app, which forces OneDrive to sync symlinked items at fixed intervals.

Looks like it’s syncing across some symlinks but not others. I’ll have a look at that app later, thanks!

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Klyith posted:

There appear to be two status bars? Try turning off the regular status bar with View -> Options -> View -> Advanced Settings -> Show status bar.

Maybe the dark theme adds a new dark status bar?

edit: lol the extra status bar is from Open Shell, why are you asking why your poo poo is all weird if you use shell hacks? :downs:

Thank you. I'd done the View options and just couldn't figure out what was causing it since I install ClassicShell first thing on Windows install and forget about it completely. Option in ClassicShell was just sitting there looking at me after two seconds of looking for it like a giant dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
Crossposting from the Windows 10 thread in case anyone here can help

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...28-8a1747c15860

Edit: Nevermind I think it's solved

Its Chocolate fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 29, 2019