Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Wasn’t Black Fleet the one where Leia makes awful military choices and Lando gets naked with Lobot? I think that series was one of the few that really focused on more military matters involving fleets instead of fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VaultAggie posted:

Wasn’t Black Fleet the one where Leia makes awful military choices and Lando gets naked with Lobot? I think that series was one of the few that really focused on more military matters involving fleets instead of fighters.

i think so? i know han basicaly tries to pull commando poo poo and gets caught and than gets the seven shades of poo poo kicked out of him by the big bad who than pulls and isis and fillms the whole drat thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Admiral Ackbar drops everything else he's doing to force the New Republic to let this guy whose species got genocided by the bad guys enter pilot training so he can get revenge. I think he dies towards the end.

It's also a great example of Chewie and Wookies in general being written badly. There's a strike force of Wookies that go rescue Han, so he had to write a bunch of scenes where they all talk to each other.....and it doesn't really work.

The Black Fleet Crisis is kind of intriguing at the start. Particularly the Luke and Lando storylines while they're still mysterious, but it all falls apart and nothing of lasting consequence happens.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Admiral Ackbar drops everything else he's doing to force the New Republic to let this guy whose species got genocided by the bad guys enter pilot training so he can get revenge. I think he dies towards the end.

To be fair, the current President of the United States would absolutely drop his schedule for four or five days to do something like this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

It's also a great example of Chewie and Wookies in general being written badly. There's a strike force of Wookies that go rescue Han, so he had to write a bunch of scenes where they all talk to each other.....and it doesn't really work.

The Black Fleet Crisis is kind of intriguing at the start. Particularly the Luke and Lando storylines while they're still mysterious, but it all falls apart and nothing of lasting consequence happens.

the issue is lucas story group couldn't really allow anything pre episode 4 to be made because everyone knew lucas would make that story at some point, so everything was always kept vague as gently caress and much like most mystery boxes that are built up over decades, they are never as interesting and the prequels hosed it up. someone a while ago posted old sites and rumors about how vaders origin would shape out. it was interesting stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I like how the Thrawn trilogy has references to Pellaeon fighting clones and Vader losing his hand to the Emperor. I think the first was mangled into continuity but I forget if they just retconned the second

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

StashAugustine posted:

I like how the Thrawn trilogy has references to Pellaeon fighting clones and Vader losing his hand to the Emperor. I think the first was mangled into continuity but I forget if they just retconned the second

Yeah, they went with "there was a defective batch of clones that went rogue" for the first one. The hand thing was later explained as "the emperor took his right robo-hand" and it carries a bit of weight cause that was the one he had tinkered with himself, not the one he got as part of the Vader suit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the issue is lucas story group couldn't really allow anything pre episode 4 to be made because everyone knew lucas would make that story at some point, so everything was always kept vague as gently caress and much like most mystery boxes that are built up over decades, they are never as interesting and the prequels hosed it up. someone a while ago posted old sites and rumors about how vaders origin would shape out. it was interesting stuff.
By the time found out about BFC, TPM was already out. So I never had any illusions about the supposed revelations about Luke's mom. I was curious to see how they'd handled it, badly as it turns out.

What's funny is Natalie Portman got announced as Padme some time in 1998 I think. So Dark Horse had their artists age her up a little bit, and she appears as a painting in The Last Command. It ended up being a pretty remarkable likeness of what she looked like in her 20s, or even now really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

does luke and leia ever learn about their mom in either of the canons?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I think they found out in the Dark Nest Trilogy, via the R2 prototype.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does luke and leia ever learn about their mom in either of the canons?
Dark Nest came out right after the prequels were done, so Denning was able to add stuff that was now settled. In one of the books Ghent hacks into R2 and finds a bunch about what happened in ROTJ.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking about the new continuity, maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but reading Bloodline, I feel like the novel was fairly ambiguous whether Leia knows that Padme is her mother. I know a lot of fans assume Leia knew, but I don't think the book actually makes it clear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking about the new continuity, maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but reading Bloodline, I feel like the novel was fairly ambiguous whether Leia knows that Padme is her mother. I know a lot of fans assume Leia knew, but I don't think the book actually makes it clear.

I feel like she'd have to. If she knows Anakin Skywalker is her father it takes very little effort to figure out who her mother was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Apparently LucasFilm was super twitchy over Zahn mentioning anything about the Clone Wars. Somebody over on RPG.net used to write for West End Games and post there now and then and I wish I could remember all the things they were told not to talk about because it got crazy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think they seem to show that she and Luke do, but they've not done much with it yet. They're really missing out if they don't bring in a Naboo faction of some kind in TRoS, with some 70 year old actresses to play Pooja and Ryoo. Even if they're only named in a visual guide.

I mean, Luke has a long diatribe about "Darth Sidious" too. The fact that he knows that name, shows that they're looked into all that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like she'd have to. If she knows Anakin Skywalker is her father it takes very little effort to figure out who her mother was.

Who would be around to tell her? Everyone who knew (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail Organa, Palpatine) is dead. Maybe she could look at old war records and find out if Anakin hung out with any ladies during his Jedi days? He seemed to do a pretty good job hiding his marriage, although it was probably common knowledge that he and Padme were good friends at least.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I completely forgot that R2-D2 literally was the witness at their wedding

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Who would be around to tell her? Everyone who knew (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail Organa, Palpatine) is dead. Maybe she could look at old war records and find out if Anakin hung out with any ladies during his Jedi days? He seemed to do a pretty good job hiding his marriage, although it was probably common knowledge that he and Padme were good friends at least.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I completely forgot that R2-D2 literally was the witness at their wedding

Also Force Ghosts!

Nobody is ever truly gone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Matt Lanter and Dave Filoni had cameos on the latest Mandalorian Episode. That was fun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just an FYI that scans from the Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary are starting to appear online with a number of spoilers in them. Beyond which some of those spoilers are also confirming stuff from the rumors that appeared online the last month or two.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Someone who has been looking at leaks...please PM me and tell me if Matt Smith is actually in TRoS. I don't want to know who he's playing, what he does, what he looks like, if he's in alien makeup, whatever...I just wanna know if he's there or not lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Someone who has been looking at leaks...please PM me and tell me if Matt Smith is actually in TRoS. I don't want to know who he's playing, what he does, what he looks like, if he's in alien makeup, whatever...I just wanna know if he's there or not lol

I can answer that here, since I don't have PM privileges.

Even now, no one really knows for sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I can answer that here, since I don't have PM privileges.

Even now, no one really knows for sure.

loving incredible lol.

Thanks much

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

You just forgot. Honestly same for me until I looked it up. Leia goes on to tell everyone so it is broadly known in-universe though I agree it has not been touched on very much.

Bloodline posted:

I always told you the truth about your mother and how she died. But I never told you that she was Padmé Amidala, former queen and senator of the planet Naboo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

You just forgot. Honestly same for me until I looked it up. Leia goes on to tell everyone so it is broadly known in-universe though I agree it has not been touched on very much.

But wasn't that bit you posted from the recording left for Leia by Bail that she never reads, because it winds up with Lady Carise instead, and is how Carise learns that Leia is Vader's daughter?

Phantom edit: what I meant is, people seem to think that Leia knew that Padme was her mother before the events of Bloodline, when the novel doesn't seem to indicate that.

The Shattered Empire comic definitely seems to make clear that Leia still doesn't know even after ROTJ.

jivjov posted:

I have an update:

Apparently no, he is not in it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Confirmed: Palpatine F U C K S

Edit: I liked more than I didn't like, on balance. Can't believe they didn't show Rey's Dad's third eye

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 18, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
^ I suppose that puts me over the fence on wanting to see it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Edit: I liked more than I didn't like, on balance. Can't believe they didn't show Rey's Dad's third eye

It is really crazy that of all the EU sources they could have drawn from, the two the sequels are closest to are Dark Empire and Glove of Darth Vader.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also Legacy of the Force

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

It is really crazy that of all the EU sources they could have drawn from, the two the sequels are closest to are Dark Empire and Glove of Darth Vader.

I felt like there was a lot of Kotor II and Tales of the Jedi as well. But yeah, it's kind of mind boggling.

Just got back from seeing it a second time (not because I loved it, but because midnight is never the best time to experience a film) and I think I've settled on the opinion that, in general, the positives outnumber the negatives, though the negatives are bigger individually, if that makes sense.

Like, we got to see crazy-rear end Sith Magic on screen, with a character in the credits even being listed as Sith Alchemist. That's wild, and I'm glad it happened. The utter disregard of TLJ annoyed me a lot, and the pacing was pretty lovely to start with. But overall, it's Star Wars and that means I could never hate it. Probably the weakest of the sequels, as a film, but the insane poo poo means that I at least like it more than TFA.

Not a patch on TLJ, of course.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

And I'm gleefully looking forward to not engaging with the fandom at all outside of this thread, because goddamn.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cptn_dr posted:

And I'm gleefully looking forward to not engaging with the fandom at all outside of this thread, because goddamn.

Maybe the TV IV thread will be okay too?

Couldn't pay me to go CineD, mind you.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

But wasn't that bit you posted from the recording left for Leia by Bail that she never reads, because it winds up with Lady Carise instead, and is how Carise learns that Leia is Vader's daughter?

Phantom edit: what I meant is, people seem to think that Leia knew that Padme was her mother before the events of Bloodline, when the novel doesn't seem to indicate that.
That was from the recording but apparently she knew prior. I missed a mention of Amidala earlier.

quote:

Chapter 9: She found herself thinking of her mother—the birth mother she hadn’t known, Padmé Amidala. After Leia had learned her mother’s identity years ago, she’d done what research she could to discover something more about the former queen and senator.
Chapter 25: “As many have known for a long time, and as you heard on the recording yesterday, my birth mother was also well known. Padmé Amidala Naberrie served the planet of Naboo first as queen, then as senator.
Dunno who else knew beside the family and a Senate staffer she had doing research on Amidala.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am curious to see the various backround filling novels that come out after ROS because they have some heavy lifting to do. that being said, i had fun watching it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am curious to see the various backround filling novels that come out after ROS because they have some heavy lifting to do. that being said, i had fun watching it.

Agreed, I'm more interested in the stories they are going to tell around this now that the movies are over. I want more Ep6 - Ep7 filler, and Ep8 - Ep9 stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have to say that Rise of Skywalker was just so drat over the place. I wouldn't say it's "bad" but as the culmination of seven years of development of the most beloved movie series on Earth by the biggest entertainment company on Earth and with one of the biggest directors in the US attached to it, and this was the best they could do... it's pretty damning.

I do think Palpatine's scenes were the best. As with the prequels, Ian McDiarmid seemed like the only guy really having a good time. The absolute best scene was Palpatine smiling and waving to the cheering Sith stadium after getting rejuvenated. Needed a whole lot more of that kind of campiness.

Can't wait to see someone compile a list of every ship in the final battle scene.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
TRoS's impact on books/comics: Yes, give me more on Palpatine, Snoke's creation, the Sith and the Unknown Regions asap please. Thank you.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

cptn_dr posted:

I felt like there was a lot of Kotor II and Tales of the Jedi as well. But yeah, it's kind of mind boggling.

Just got back from seeing it a second time (not because I loved it, but because midnight is never the best time to experience a film) and I think I've settled on the opinion that, in general, the positives outnumber the negatives, though the negatives are bigger individually, if that makes sense.

Like, we got to see crazy-rear end Sith Magic on screen, with a character in the credits even being listed as Sith Alchemist. That's wild, and I'm glad it happened. The utter disregard of TLJ annoyed me a lot, and the pacing was pretty lovely to start with. But overall, it's Star Wars and that means I could never hate it. Probably the weakest of the sequels, as a film, but the insane poo poo means that I at least like it more than TFA.

Not a patch on TLJ, of course.
This kind of sums up my feelings perfectly. My main impression coming right out of it is that JJ Abrams really needs to learn how to pause and take a goddamn breath. TFA was bad enough in never being able to ever slow down, but it at least had some decent breathing room in the first act. TROS is paced so frenetically and just keeps throwing so much stuff in scene after scene that it's really kind of hard to process.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I haven't watched Star Wars yet but extremely online twitter idiots flooding my feed with simultaneous rage over Cats and RoS is like my catnip

of course, then there is Google sending me notifications every few hours of links to dumbass articles like "Rise of Skywalker is a crime against world building"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The movie was a mess, good in parts, but a real mess.

Denis Lawson was in it for a couple of seconds which was pretty lame.

Landon's speech to Poe was really good and I got a little teary eyed.

The Ghost was present in at least one of the battle shots.

I'm really disappointed that Luke didn't haunt Kylo, "See you around kid" is one of the best moments from TLJ and JJ decided to ignore it.

I thought it was a shame that Sheev's robe didn't fall off at some point to reveal that he was just a head and a torso, that would have been cool.

Snoke growing in a vat was cool.

Ultimately I like Legends ending at Survivor's Quest better.

Edit: I logged out of SA on Tuesday morning, and stopped my mindless Reddit browsing at work for the rest of the week to avoid spoilers. Then yesterday I'm walking the skyway into work and some lady is loudly telling her friend about how Sheev needed both of them there to rebuild himself. Not a huge deal but thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Ultimately I like Legends ending at Survivor's Quest better.

(Note: still haven't seen RoS yet)

However, I can't help but like that of the available EU Legends material we got something that looks somewhat like an adaptation of Dark Empire. And not like, Dark Nest.

Like, everything from generic plot items to elements of design. The Starkiller Base=Galaxy Gun, Star Destroyers with superlasers, cloning vats, return of Palpatine, mystical Force connections and confrontations, everything on down to the piped sleeves that are the only constant on Kylo Ren's costumes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 21, 2019